shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiaras

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, thank you for the link to David Bennett & the tiara. I agree, it's one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. The design is exquisite in every way; the yellow diamonds a perfect accent to the emeralds, the white diamonds wonderful quality. As you (I think) mentioned, the drilling in the emeralds is a tad disconcerting -- but made more interesting because it was done in the 16th century.

From the sublime to the ridiculous, sort of: In the same sale is the emerald/diamond necklace below, from the Countess of Romanones; the story is the emeralds came from an Indian grandee. Very nice necklace, but below that is a photo of the Countess wearing it (with the earrings) as one of the ugliest tiaras I've ever seen! Others may like it but to me it should have lost its center drop for tiara wear -- it looks like a giant green headlight. :|

--- Laurie

3953086001_5406cd7837.jpg

Image1.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
The Duchess of Cambridge (nee Catherine Middleton) wore the Scroll tiara for her wedding!

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
Is this the right one?

halo tiara.jpg

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
Looks different on the Royal Family?

qm halo scroll tiara_ pa.jpg

qm halo scroll tiara_ pm.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
just_looking!|1304073616|2907826 said:
Is this the right one?

No, this is not the tiara that the Duchess of Cambridge wears. The tiara in your photo was made by Cartier in 1934 for Princess Andrée Aga Khan, second wife of Aga Khan III.
20041005_006.jpg

Regards,
Bobby

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
You're right - it's different.

Some confusion as to whether it's the scroll or halo or just that the BBC called it the halo when it's really the scroll?

kate scroll tiara.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's the halo tiara (from the official royal wedding website). I posted a much better photo of it in the royal jewels thread. You can see better detail of her earrings as well.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
We had our 8th grade graduation dance Friday night, so I had a chance to wear one of my tiaras! I chose my Tsarina of Teaching tiara :D and my pearls. DH got them for me over a span of a year for Christmas (necklace), birthday (earrings), and anniversary (bracelet).

Albert's not the only one who can complete a parure over time...

graddance.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Oh, dear! This is just great! You do look stunning in that little fringe tiara and pearl demi-parure ;-) and I'm sure the girls were fascinated to see you there dressed to the nines. I must add that I love it that you wore you hair up.
OT - This photo made me think - what would the dress code for this dance be? Black tie seems a bit too much for 8th graders. Suits and ties for the gents, parhaps? What were the other ladies wearing?

Regards,
Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You look fabulous and very regal, Maria!

--- Laurie

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys! I had great fun dressing up!

Most of the students wore jeans and t-shirts. A few girls wore nice dresses. But all of the teachers who were chaperoning agreed we were going to wear old prom/bridesmaids dresses and it was a blast! :D

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
You do look so regal and elegant in this portrait, Maria. I'm impressed! You're living a life of jewels and fashion that most women just don't have the guts and sense to do anymore. Good for you and thank you for sharing! :appl:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Wow, two 30's Cartier tiaras! Thank you for the eye candy, folks!!

Of the two, I like Catherine's better personally. I've said this before, but her tiara and dress looked medieval to me.

She did even better than I expected! I thought her tiara and dress would be less formal and elaborate than Diana's 80's styling was (although in fairness, Diana's family jewels were spectacular) but I didn't expect them to be this good. I think her tiara and look are timeless. I don't think we're going to look at this in the future and say things like, "What were they thinking?!"

The part I like best is how the veil is held up by the tip in the center. Exquisite. :appl:

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I love this!! This is the tiara of Hannah Primrose, Countess Rosebery, which is going to be auctioned! Unfortuantely, I don't have enough spare change lying around to put in a bid!

ladyrosebery.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1305328011|2921174 said:
I love this!! This is the tiara of Hannah Primrose, Countess Rosebery, which is going to be auctioned! Unfortuantely, I don't have enough spare change lying around to put in a bid!

One word - Beautiful!!! What a pity the Westminsters have to sell the parure... As I've said before, the best thing about auctions are the HQ photos of the jewels.
An article in the Daily Mail about the jewels - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ry-Britains-wealthiest-woman-hammer-1-9m.html

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Helen, Duchess of Northumberland had a very beautiful diamond strawberry leaf tiara/coronet. Since she was Mistress of the Robes to HM The Queen (later HM the Queen Mother) she had many oportunities to wear it. The last time HG wore the tiara was during the State Shah of Iran's State Visit to Britain in 1959. After that the tiara was sold and has never been recovered.
When her great-granddaughter married earlier this year she wore another diamond tiara, probably made to substitute the stollen tiara.
3e66bf2c892e1e73_large.jpg
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/3e66bf2c892e1e73_large
2864988780094285158EcrbaO_ph.jpg
http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2864988780094285158EcrbaO

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1305663203|2924172 said:
LadyMaria|1305328011|2921174 said:

One word - Beautiful!!! What a pity the Westminsters have to sell the parure... As I've said before, the best thing about auctions are the HQ photos of the jewels.
An article in the Daily Mail about the jewels - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ry-Britains-wealthiest-woman-hammer-1-9m.html

Bobby

Oh my, I didn't realize this was one of the Westminster tiaras! As soon as I read your post here Bobby, I looked back on that set of Westminster tiara links you posted on the previous page and the light bulb went off in my head! Agreed, it is a pity the Westminsters have to sell this.

I would love to see the Duke of Cambridge snatch this up for his Duchess!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1298766373|2860168 said:
I'm afraid it's not only you, Maria... To my disappointmant this was apparently the itnention to wear this beautiful tiara in a rather odd way. Crooked, as you say. BTW, Ladi Katie also wore a nice diamond necklace.

You can take a closer look of the tiara and necklace here - http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/109456080/Getty-Images-News

And here's an article - Apparently the couple rode in an important carriage - http://www.berwick-advertiser.co.uk...es/fairytale_wedding_for_lady_katie_1_1467211

Bobby

Bobby, the second link doesn't work. Is this the "Northumberland Family Tiara?" I'm assuming so, as I don't see any other information on it. Thanks!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Have you found any articles saying the Westminsters HAVE to sell the tiara? They are one of the richest families in England. They own great swaths of London, including Cadogan Square, an extremely high-rent place, and much much else all over the country. It's hard to imagine them on their uppers. I can only imagine, if they don't have 1.5 mill in very liquid funds, it's a quick way to raise it if they need a new roof, say. I don't like the parure myself; I dislike spiky tiaras like that & the bracelet strikes me as heavy. But the stones & pearls are undoubtedly high quality -- would be great re-used in something else.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1305758050|2925182 said:
Have you found any articles saying the Westminsters HAVE to sell the tiara? They are one of the richest families in England. They own great swaths of London, including Cadogan Square, an extremely high-rent place, and much much else all over the country. It's hard to imagine them on their uppers. I can only imagine, if they don't have 1.5 mill in very liquid funds, it's a quick way to raise it if they need a new roof, say. I don't like the parure myself; I dislike spiky tiaras like that & the bracelet strikes me as heavy. But the stones & pearls are undoubtedly high quality -- would be great re-used in something else.

--- Laurie

No, I have not seen any article saying why/that the Westminstrs have to sell the parure. In fact, now I'm not even sure if the tiara belongs to the family, as I wasn't able to find any links between the Duke of Westminster and Lady Rosebery. Remember that this is the first time the tiara, bracelet and brooch are being offered on sale and has only passed from one generation to another.

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
This is some reality TV couple renewing their vows...I don't really care who they are (I don't have a high opinion of "reality TV"). But the tiara is not too bad, if you can manage to ignore the horrible fake tan, gaudy makeup, and fake blonde hair!

faketantiara1.jpg

faketantiara2.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyMaria|1305668365|2924238 said:
I would love to see the Duke of Cambridge snatch this up for his Duchess!

I don't like it at all; I think the gems are far too heavy looking. I think that the Duchess of Cambridge deserves something far more delicate!!! The Queen has so very many tiaras. If she ever wishes to, she could give a lovely one to Catherine. Or Prince William could have one made for her. I am sure there is no dearth of loose gems in the royal vaults and there are many pieces that can be reset if the Royal Family is short on funds!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Ditto, Deb! And that tiara looks like a Victorian baby hat.

--- Laurie

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Buying an insanely expensive tiara at auction for Kate would = huge PR fail. These are hard times for a lot of people in the UK and his family has a lot jewelry already. They are being very careful to present themselves as frugal (they don't have servants, her dresses cost $275, etc.) and they're not about to go buying something like this.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
DOCSKI|1303805973|2905201 said:
-pretension is not an article of clothing or accessory its a attitude

so true.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
See below. Double post.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1307443137|2939685 said:
Buying an insanely expensive tiara at auction for Kate would = huge PR fail. These are hard times for a lot of people in the UK and his family has a lot jewelry already. They are being very careful to present themselves as frugal (they don't have servants, her dresses cost $275, etc.) and they're not about to go buying something like this.

Absolutely right, Danny. Given her innate preference for simplicity & their current lifestyle, I doubt Kate will wear a tiara for some time to come. Only at State functions where she must wear one. She can probably get away with that until Charles becomes king & William PoW. And by then, who knows? Maybe nobody will be bothering with them, sob.

--- Laurie

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Sam Waley-Cohen married Bella Balin in Britain today. This was covered because their friend, the Duchess of Cambridge, showed up at the wedding. The groom supposedly helped William and Catherine get back together after the 2007 split. The bride wore a diamond tiara and a very floaty veil!

friendofkate.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I am one step closer to adding a new tiara to my collection. I found out I am one of three finalists for a national teaching award. It will be a few months before I find out if I win, but I'm really happy to have made it to the finals.

If I win, I think this is what I'll get...it is a replica of the emerald tiara of the French crown jewels.

emeraldreplcia.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Prince Antonius zu Furstenberg & Countess Matilde Borromeo were married on June 19. Since they are noble, not royal, I put this here. Her tiara is from the Furstenberg family. The Borromeos are one of the oldest Italian noble families and own a castle on an island in Lago Maggiore, which is where the wedding took place. Mathilde's sister Beatrice is the girlfriend of Pierre Casiraghi, Princess Caroline's son.

14724668435_h3Vq7.jpg

soss_borromeo_01_h.jpg

14724639557_fJHGJ.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results