carat
color
clarity

Three Stone-Q center with what color sides? Help please

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi There,

So I want to set my 7.44 mm center in a 3 stone 18k rose gold BGD Trellis.
My center is a Q. I do believe it is a gorgeous warm stone. My challenge is what color sides.
I'm deciding on .55-.65 each for side stones. I wanted M sides, but the vendor had none available so i purchased what was in stock, "k" color. Now i'm no sure K's will not be warm enough.

Please share your thoughts and expertise.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think k will look lighter but not hugely so...i've read on here smaller stones tend to look lighter compared to larger in general but don't know about those proportions. do you want them to match perfectly or do you want some contrast to make that Q color pop more?

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with @Asscherhalo_lover - go white for contrast! I love end of alphabet stones- can you show us yours? I’m sure it’ll be lovey.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would go opposite and get sides as white as possible for contrast!

I love both of these ideas! I love contrast in 3 stones. It really makes both the center stone and the side stones pop!

Might I also add the suggestion of blue sapphires? :)

If you're set on diamond side-stones though, I would go with F-G or G-H for the contrast if you can't find side-stones that are close to Q color.

I would personally rather have something that looks like the contrast was done intentionally (as in colorless side stones with the Q center) rather than something that just looks mismatched (like K-M side stones with the Q center)

Q

Queenie60

I would go whiter for the sides - the contrast will be lovely. I have a Q diamond in a platinum halo and love the contrast.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out @cflutist's recent thread on her Q!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Check out @cflutist's recent thread on her Q!

Here's the thread for reference:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hpds-queen-pari-2-31-q-vvs2-cbi.239530/

I believe the stones in her halo are in the colorless (F-G) range. Please correct me if I'm wrong @cflutist.

I really love this ring. Beautiful contrast between the halo stones and the center diamond, and also a lovely contrast between the platinum head and gold shank.

That may also be an idea for you! Get the three-stone with platinum prongs and 18K YG shank to further accentuate the contrast. :)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also suggest rubies. They look so gorgeous with lower color diamonds! Yum

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hpds-queen-pari-2-31-q-vvs2-cbi.239530/

I believe the stones in her halo are in the colorless (F-G) range. Please correct me if I'm wrong @cflutist.

I really love this ring. Beautiful contrast between the halo stones and the center diamond, and also a lovely contrast between the platinum head and gold shank.

That may also be an idea for you! Get the three-stone with platinum prongs and 18K YG shank to further accentuate the contrast. :)

Thank you @TreeScientist!!!! Extremely helpful!!! @cflutist's "queen pari"| is a game changer!!!!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go whiter for the sides - the contrast will be lovely. I have a Q diamond in a platinum halo and love the contrast.

I bet your Q with that halo is beautiful!!!
I have been stalking BGD inventory night and day trying to find whiter stones in my budget.

Last edited:

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @Asscherhalo_lover - go white for contrast! I love end of alphabet stones- can you show us yours? I’m sure it’ll be lovey.

I have a sweet spot for lower colored stones as well. Mine "q" is in my avatar.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bonfire & @ringo865 rubies sound NICE. The challenge there would be to fine someone who'd source them to me.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think k will look lighter but not hugely so...i've read on here smaller stones tend to look lighter compared to larger in general but don't know about those proportions. do you want them to match perfectly or do you want some contrast to make that Q color pop more?

I don't want the side diamonds to match my Q. Because I realize I'd have to find some Q sides...that would take some time. Any color other than Q would contrast. I'm just looking for a good pair that would compliment my center stone. Contrast is good.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go opposite and get sides as white as possible for contrast!

The whitest I could find in there inventory was I color .45ct about 4.9mm. That is kinda smaller than i want but would probably be nice for 3 stone ratio.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my new 3 stone.jpg

Vendor provided photo of side stones and my stone
.58 x 1.52 x .58
set in 18k rose gold-Trellis setting

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my new 3 stone.jpg

Vendor provided photo of side stones and my stone
.58 x 1.52 x .58
set in 18k rose gold-Trellis setting
I guess it didn’t really sink in that your center stone for this project is coming from your stunning Solitaire! I ADORE that setting! :cry2:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What is your budget for the side stones? I think your 1.5 carat would look nice with .4 carat sides. I like the side to center ratio to be about .65, which is what .4 carat sides would give you. Smaller sides give the center stone the spotlight.

I think that you could move up to G color if you drop the size of the sides a bit. :)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The HPD Lux melee on my other CBI and eternity rings is indeed F-G/VS, but for Queen Pari I went down to G-H/VS to save a bit.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hm, in that case, it's a difficult situation. Colorless stones over the magic .5 carat mark are significantly more expensive. Maybe look into going they ruby route? The only problem is that high quality rubies aren't that much cheaper than diamonds...

Or hold out until DeBeers releases the Lightbox MMDs and get yourself 2, 0.75 carat colorless MMDs for $1200 :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm, in that case, it's a difficult situation. Colorless stones over the magic .5 carat mark are significantly more expensive. Maybe look into going they ruby route? The only problem is that high quality rubies aren't that much cheaper than diamonds...

Or hold out until DeBeers releases the Lightbox MMDs and get yourself 2, 0.75 carat colorless MMDs for $1200 :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Ahhh...now we are talkin';-)

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The other problem I see with going with lower-color diamond sides is the undertone mismatch. I really love the brown/champagne color of your diamond, but diamonds with brown undertones are harder to come by on the market, and it would be very difficult to come across a matched pair of brown side stones to match your diamond. Getting lower color side stones with yellow/ivory undertones would just look wonky IMO. I could already see it in the pictures you posted with the K color side stones. Just looks "off" to me.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@TreeScientist what's your thoughts on the metal color? 18k rose vs unplated 18k white , vs 18k yellow ?
I went with 18k rose because my q is 'very light brown'

Would it be possible to get the trellis in two-tone like this?

s-l300.jpg

If so, I think it would be lovely to pair an 18K rose gold shank with platinum or WG prongs. Especially if you end up going for the contrast look of colorless sides with the light-brown colored center. It would create the same sort of metal/diamond contrast of @cflutist's light yellow center with near-colorless melee diamonds and Yellow gold/platinum two-tone setting. SO MUCH CONTRAST :mrgreen:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here's a better picture of a trellis with rose gold shank and platinum prongs. :)

81978-E.side.alt1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results