shape
carat
color
clarity

Three-stone emerald-cut engagement ring help

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
I'm hoping for some advice from all of you experts out there, especially the emerald-cut lovers. I've narrowed down to a three-stone emerald cut from since1910.com.

The setting is here: http://www.since1910.com/scs1259b-three-stone-emerald-cut-engagement-ring-with-square-emerald-channelset-side-stones

The matching band is here: http://www.since1910.com/scs1259bw-square-emerald-cut-channelset-diamond-band

My gf and I both like the look of all the diamonds across the finger. I'm looking for a very classy, sophisticated, clean-looking ring. She's a 5.25 with slender fingers.

My questions are these:

Do you think $4,500 for this setting in platinum is reasonable?

Has anyone seen similar settings? This one seems a little sterile/industrial, but I don't know if that's just a consequence of a clean look.

I've been in touch with a local jeweler here who can make the setting for about the same price. Should I be concerned about a local jeweler making a custom ring for the first time? Am I better off going with since1910, since this is their original design and they are accustomed to making it? Am I better off locally so it can be serviced here, I could perhaps source my own center stone, etc. If I go with the local jeweler, is there anything you would add/change about the setting?

Just to give you an idea, we've also liked the following settings:
http://www.since1910.com/tacori-2591-diamond-baguette-engagement-ring
http://www.since1910.com/tacori-ht2199-three-stone-emerald-cut-engagement-ring
http://www.bengarelick.com/products/kirk-kara-charlotte-engagement-ring-featuring-with-0-89-carats-diamonds-in-18kt-white-gold

All thoughts welcomed and appreciated!

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Anyone have any thoughts? I'm particularly interested in advice on whether to have the setting custom made locally, which would allow for sourcing my own center stone, or going with since1910.com, which originally designed the ring and is accustomed to making it.

Many thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you trust a surgeon to operate you if it is their very first time? If the answer is no, then I would also be concerned with the local jeweller making a custom ring for the first time. Custom work is non-returnable and non-refundable 99% of the time. Unless you have seen their work first hand and love the quality of their work, I would not go with the jeweller.

As always, source the center diamond first. You can do so with a local shop or online. Servicing can be done locally. In fact, many places offer free cleaning and prong checking, hoping you'll be back someday to purchase a birthday or some holiday related gift in the future.

The profile view of the setting shows it to be a very tall or high setting. The connection points to the base of the shank does not look integrated but merely soldered on. Personally, I prefer a more cohesive look.

1910.jpg

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much, chrono. Can you point me to any examples of the more cohesive look you're talking about? I too am concerned about the height of the setting; I would prefer the three stones more in line with the band.

I'm also considering the Tacori 2579EM, but that also has some height to it. Does it look differently constructed to you? Do you think a known designer setting is preferable?

http://www.since1910.com/tacori-2579em-trapezoid-and-pave-diamond-engagement-ring

(I'm sorry, I don't know how to insert a photo into the post.)

Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The total height of the ring should be a consideration in your daily wear. High set rings will be top heavy and prone to spinning, they are also more likely to scratch others (young children and babies), and will also have a tendency to be knocked about or caught in pockets, thereby increasing the chance of damage.

The Tacori shown looks to be better integrated into the band but still sits high. Custom, off the shelf or designer name is personal preference. There are both well made and poorly made settings of all types.

_35167.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not affiliated with DBL but would like to credit David as the original photographer and owner of the shop. Note that it is also a 3 stone ring with diamonds in the band, yet it is low set (which makes it very wearable) and cohesive in design.

r4176side.jpg

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Chrono. I see what you mean about the lower profile of the ring. I went to DBL, but could not locate the ring you posted. I will search out lower-profile settings to try to get a feel for them. If any others come to mind, please pass them along. I will also inquire with since1910 about whether the profile is integrated or could perhaps be lowered. Great suggestions!

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Chrono. I'm on the hunt. I'm also going to ask the local jeweler if he can make design adjustments to lower the profile since he will be making a custom ring anyway. I'll also ask about the connection points at the shank.

I really appreciate your insights!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's an example. I had a three stone that didn't work for me. I had it reset. This picture helps explain the difference. The differences are subtle but for me it made my ring more comfortable and made my center stone look bigger. Victor Canera made my setting. The ring on the right is my reset.

_694.jpeg

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Looks like a beautiful ring, Mayk. Thanks for the photos. I never gave much thought to the height, but now I'm more in tune with it as I look around.

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Chrono --- Since1910.com has confirmed that the ring is fully molded...no solder points. I aslo inquired about the height and they said they haven't had any customer issues, although I understand it's all personal preference. Thanks again for your thoughts.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely NOT let the local jeweler make the ring. We have heard too many sad stories about those kinds of projects. You have to go with someone who you are 100% sure can make a high quality ring. It is very ironic, but I have the exact setting design saved on my wishlist! If you can afford the premium for handforged, I would absolutely have Victor Canera make it for you, like the first ring but with a slightly more delicate shank and lower set stones. The rings posted above show a DBL setting next to Victor's and I think it is worth getting Victor's, personally. I think the Tacori is beautiful but I'd want to see if they could make the prong tips more delicate. I think you could probably get one made by Victor for the same or hopefully less than that, though. Like Chrono, aside from going with a known custom ring maker, I'd next choose a high end designer brand known for quality. I'll look in my folder and see if I have any other suggestions.

You would select your own center stone no matter who makes the setting. Finding great emerald cuts is a hard search and could never be limited to one local jeweler because they just wouldn't have access to enough stones. We can help you with finding a good center stone as well, and as Chrono said, that has to be done before committing to a setting.

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Diamondseeker2006 --- Thank you so much! I'm very new at this. I thought a custom by Victor Canera would be much more than the since1910 setting. I'd love to get hand forged and I've read nothing but good things about Victor Canera. I was looking at Leon Mege designs, which I love, but he seems way out of my price range. How do I go about getting a quote? Is it as easy as emailing him the link of the since1910 ring and then explaining the modifications I'd like? I'd be interested in an "artists eye" for any additional modifications to help soften it a bit.

Thank you so much for responding with this exciting idea to pursue!

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Diamondseeker --- I see Victor's form on his website for a custom quote. Thanks again for the lead! If I could turn over sourcing the stone to Victor I'd do that too....that's another intimidating process!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gettingcloser|1446848193|3946441 said:
Diamondseeker --- I see Victor's form on his website for a custom quote. Thanks again for the lead! If I could turn over sourcing the stone to Victor I'd do that too....that's another intimidating process!

He is so easy yo work with. He is not intimidating at all!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be nice to know the OP's budget before recommending one of the most expensive custom ring vendors automatically.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that just for the setting or EC + setting?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1446849652|3946450 said:
It would be nice to know the OP's budget before recommending one of the most expensive custom ring vendors automatically.

One of the settings he is looking at is over $4,000. Depending on what he did VC might very well be in budget.

Brilliantly Engaged is another great vendor to check with.

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Does Brilliantly Engaged do hand forged work? I always assumed custom would be more expensive than finding a ready-made setting. Thanks for the tip.

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
I realize I could well devote half my budget to the setting, but I'm looking at the ring as a whole and with the 3-stone style with additional diamonds in the band, it seems unlikely to find anything much less expensive. Am I missing something on the amount I may be devoting to the setting? Is it too much?

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mayk. What do you think about the amount Of budget I'm devoting to the setting?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gettingcloser|1446858773|3946489 said:
Thanks Mayk. What do you think about the amount Of budget I'm devoting to the setting?

If size matters you might want to look at the largest quality diamond you can afford and place it in a simple setting. You can always upgrade your setting later. Would be my advice. But that may not be what is important to your future fiancé.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's work it backwards to put a fair balance between stone and setting. There's no point in putting a small EC into a setting that costs more then the EC. What ct weight, colour and clarity are you looking at?

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
You both make excellent points. I'm perhaps doing this backwards. I know I want a 3-stone emerald cut so I was looking for a setting first and was then going to fill in up to my budget with the center stone. I'm now thinking a more understated simple setting might be better and perhaps a better fit for her personality. I want the finger coverage, which is what attracted me to the settings I've been looking at, but upon looking at Victor Canera website, perhaps I should be focusing on something simpler. I ultimately want a classy, elegant, sophisticated ring of high quality, not necessarily the largest stone. I fear even in a simpler setting Leon Mege and Victor Canera and the like may be out of reach. Is there a "second tier" I should consider? I value quality more than size but of course, want a stunning ring.

Can't thank you both enough for your insights. Now I'm really thinking!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results