shape
carat
color
clarity

Three More Days

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Wow thanks for posting pics! The design of those rings is just gorgeous and it looks great with both the clear diamond and the blue one. I have to say that blue diamond looks amazing!!!

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
I love both rings. They are gorgeous. The tension settings are among my favorites.

I hope you wear your rings in the best of health and happiness.

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
Very cool blue diamond

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks again everyone. I was the one who wanted the clear diamond and I guess I'm glad that's what I got, but, on another forum, which had really negative things to say about treated diamonds, I was really fearful we had made a mistake with the blue stone. Actually, I think the blue stone is absolutely fantastic. My friend and I went out to dinner to celebrate the rings and the waitress at the restaurant nearly fell over when she saw the blue stone. In fact, she got just about every lady in the establishment to stop by the table to see it. When they saw my more expensive, white stone, they weren't as impressed as they were with the blue diamond. Personally, I think if stones can be treated to be that stunning, it's a good thing indeed.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock

Rod, both rings look fabulous. I''m not sure which one I like better. I generally am not keen on tension settings, but I love the style you chose. Great result.

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
Both rings look fabulous, and it sounds like they are very special to you both.

Thanks for sharing your story! Wear them in the best of health and happiness!
4.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Both rings look great, settings and stones. I'm particularly partial to blues, and that one is a stunner. As mentioned in one of the comments to the threads I linked earlier, my mother has a blue diamond e-ring and channel set w-ring which gets lots of attention because of its uniqueness. But your white diamond holds up very well against your friend's ring. I strongly agree that there is no reason not to appreciate great looking treated gems, at least so long as the treatment is to the gem (heat, radiation) rather than on the gem (fracture filling, coatings), reasonably permanent, fully disclosed, priced appropriately, and most importantly makes for a better looking piece.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
such pretty, unique settings! I love both the blue and the white stone versions. lovely!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
They are both great rings!
36.gif

I love the setting style and the side view especially.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the kind comments. I found it hard to sleep last night. Usually, when you''re anticipating something, getting what you wanted is sometimes a let down. You know, like Christmas day. You work so hard to be ready for the gift giving, the gifts get opened, everyone is happy, but then there''s that nagging "Is that it??" feeling. It was a challenge getting this ring, but one that was well worth the time it took to become better educated and the expense. Everytime I look at my finger it will bring me pleasure.

Thanks again everyone.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Love the rings. The blue diamond is very ''JLO''. I don''t care how it got that way it is just fabulous!!
36.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
How did I miss this one? The rings are just perfect!!! Love the side view. The center stones are floating. I like them both equally -- blue and white. I agree with GemKlctr about treated gems. I would not hesitate to buy an irradiated diamond. The color is beautiful!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Wow, both rings are stunning
30.gif

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Diamondprincess,
Where did you find those birthday icons? (Or anyone else who knows) They are so cute!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
When you click on reply, there is a smiley face right below the size choice. Click on it and there are 80 emotion icons. I thinks that''s where they came from.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had forgotten about JLO''s blue diamond. I''ll have to tell my friend he is now in JLO territory.....LOL Still not sure how she left Ben Afleck to marry Mark Antony, but love is a strange animal to most of us. Cheers.....

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2006 6:50:53 PM
Author: Rod
I had forgotten about JLO''s blue diamond. I''ll have to tell my friend he is now in JLO territory.....LOL Still not sure how she left Ben Afleck to marry Mark Antony, but love is a strange animal to most of us. Cheers.....
I don''t know if that would be a compliment or not to him
9.gif
Somebody needs to tell the girl she don''t have to marry everyone she dates
11.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
awesome rod! wear it in good health.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OH. MY. WORD!!!!
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

Rod,

Those rings are EXQUISITE!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
They are truly WORKS OF ART! I am sooo impressed! I keep going back to the photos again and again. *YUM!*

Well, I know right now that we need more pictures!!! That blue diamond has totally enchanted me! I would love to see pictures of it in different lighting situations... and see the color of the "fire".

Tell us more about it (the blue stone). How does its "performance" compare to your white one? How is it similar? Different? OH -- HOW COOL IS THAT!

Good job! Great vision, and AWESOME jewelers! Now, get busy with that camera, will ya??!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
I''m DYING over here!

Lynn

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
How very cool!! I especially LOVE the blue diamond
30.gif

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
Hi again (and Happy Birthday, by the way ...)

Both rings are really gorgeous ... I hope you continue to enjoy them!

I''m more than curious for information about the ''treated stone''. What exactly is a ''treated stone''? The one your friend selected is quite beautiful.

Again, thanks for sharing ... I''ll bet both rings really sparkle in the Tampa, FL sunshine!
4.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK......I may not have the opportunity to take pictures of them outside until next weekend, but I will........Promise.

In answer to both questions about the blue stone, let me say the blue stone is cut quite nicely and is VS2 in clarity, so it sparkes just like a good diamond should sparkle. To celebrate my birthday, we went to a really nice restaurant last night. I was wondering how the lighting (it''s pretty low light) would work with either diamond. While both diamonds performed incredibly well (I was actually really really really pleased with how much sparkle they radiated in low light), the blue diamond actually drew a lot of attention. A lady at the table next to ours noticed the sparkle in our rings and actually stopped by to see them. So Lynn, the blue diamond puts out a lot of light. And like any good stone, if it''s cut really well, it should radiate a lot of fire and scintillation.

Now, to the question of what they do to turn a diamond blue. I''m not an expert, but sometime ago, when they tested diamonds they noticed that not all diamonds contain the same levels of some trace elements. Notbably nitrogen seems to help determine diamond color and it''s either an over abundance, or lack of notrogen from what I''ve learned. Anyway, it takes millions of years to make natural diamonds colored and it''s evidently just happenstance that they ''baked'' very deep in the earth in an environment in which the trace elements were different enough to cause the diamonds pigmentation to be different.

So, some clever company (I have no clue who) figured that if a diamond was bombarded with low levels of radiation, high levels of heat and temperature, they could alter the color of the stone, much the same way they happen naturally, but of course the process is speeded up considerably. It''s called HPHT (High Pressue High Temperature). However, from what I''ve read, not all diamonds react the same to the treatment and sometimes they turn out green, or too dark, so if you are interested in a blue diamond, you need to see it in person to see if it is the color you seek.

Again, I''m not an expert at all. I''m sure there are others who have a better understanding of the processes involved in enhancing diamond color. I just know the diamond in my friends ring is stunning and has drawn a lot of attention in the few short days on his finger. It''s more of an icy blue as opposed to a saphire blue.

Thanks for the interest everyone. It''s really nice to meet so many nice people who are genuinely interested in diamonds and share other peoples excitement. You guys are really great to show such enthusiasm!!

Your friend,
Rod

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
BrownEyes, check out this link for a quick explanation of common treatments.

http://www.gemandgem.com/pagecontent.asp?id=113

Rod, the HPHT treatment is relatively new. i believe most blues and blue greens still are produced by the old style combination of radiation and heat. There are a number of old threads that discuss this, if you want to search for them. The biggest problem with such gems is that the treatments are typically applied to otherwise poor quality stones - dark, included and badly cut. Your friend's diamond is an outstanding exception to that rule and merits all the kudos it has received here.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2006 7:54:35 PM

...So, some clever company (I have no clue who) figured that if a diamond was bombarded with low levels of radiation, high levels of heat and temperature, they could alter the color of the stone, much the same way they happen naturally, but of course the process is speeded up considerably. It''s called HPHT (High Pressue High Temperature). However, from what I''ve read, not all diamonds react the same to the treatment and sometimes they turn out green, or too dark, so if you are interested in a blue diamond, you need to see it in person to see if it is the color you seek.

Again, I''m not an expert at all. I''m sure there are others who have a better understanding of the processes involved in enhancing diamond color. I just know the diamond in my friends ring is stunning and has drawn a lot of attention in the few short days on his finger. It''s more of an icy blue as opposed to a saphire blue...
Here is a post with some info and links to GIA articles on HPHT. GE began development of the process decades ago. It caused a ''stir'' in 1999. I believe GIA may have sold Bellataire in 2003.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks John and GK..........so much to learn.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Bump for blueroses

Rod...what fabulous rings!

snogirl17

Shiny_Rock
I love love love LOVE! them... outstanding! I love the tension look and those bezels on the sides are just wonderful! I think i am going to have to go back and look at them both again! WOW!

mara54

Shiny_Rock
Love the blue diamond, it is my favorite. Wow, Cannot stop looking at it. Want one, bling, bling..lol
emthup.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey thanks for commenting. My partner loves the blue diamond and it is really quite unique. It''s such a nicely cut stone and it really does sparkle. People often comment on it and when they learn it''s a diamond they''re really surprised.

Thanks again
28.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2006 7:54:35 PM
OK......I may not have the opportunity to take pictures of them outside until next weekend, but I will........Promise.
::bump::

okay rod... after reading your resize post I went to look at your pics and there just aren''t that many and we need closer ones, esp to show the newly aligned diamond! bahahahaha... you could start a new thread in show me the ring... hehehehehe... um.... "next weekend" was many mooooooons ago... hehehe :D

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results