shape
carat
color
clarity

Three colored diamonds - what should I do with them?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have these three colored diamonds. The one on the left 32 point olive green, the one in the middle is a 40 point brownish pink and the one on the right is a 27 point greenish yellow, but it is the same diameter as the 32 pointer (its cut a little deep). I am trying to do a three stone ring, but it's hard to find one out there to fit these sizes. Does anyone have any suggestions? I wish I could also do a rose gold in the middle, but since the middle diamond isn't a bubblegum pink, and more towards a lavender color, I'm not thinking that would work as well with pink gold. Oh, and I don't wear earrings, I want to do a ring for this trio.

Oh, and the diamonds are much lighter than depicted in the photo. My camera shadow is really making them come out dark in here.

greenpinktrio.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a better picture with more true to life color.

greenpinktrio3.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
o.k., I''ll kick this off. How about some sort of faux stacker ring? This example is from Stuller.

fauxstacker71407_W_3S.jpg

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
a pendant would be lovely

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Pretty basic woven prong 3 stone from Stuller.

woven120981_Y_2_Eng.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
a sort of by-pass variation, again from Stuller

bypass12506_W_3st.jpg

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 9:28:19 AM
Author: Fly Girl
o.k., I''ll kick this off. How about some sort of faux stacker ring? This example is from Stuller.
I really like this idea
9.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
TL, your diamonds are gorgeous!!! I''m really loving FLyGirl''s idea with the faux stacker ring from Stuller. It''s eclectic and fun at the same time. It also lets each diamond shine on their own without having to be too matchy or uniform like a three-stone.

A pendant wouldn''t be bad either. Let me see what pics I can dig up.....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks PR, no pendants though. I want a ring. but I appreciate the help. I would also be worried about it falling off as a pendant.

I was thinking not necessarily design, but who makes three stone bands that can fit such sizes, and do you think the pink gold would do anything for a lavender diamond. Would it be better with 18K pink vs 14K pink (too coppery). Thanks FlyGirl for the great ideas.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hey TL! For the lavender, how much grey (if any) is there? I think a 14 kt pink (that's the lighter one, right?) might look better than 18 kt., mostly because the stone is such a soft color, and 18 kt RG can look intense - i wouldn't want the metal to overshadow the stone! But I think a 14 kt RG could add to the soft, almost pastel look.

EDIT: I asked about the grey because I'm not actually sure which metal might offset that (if that's what you want) or bring it out more. I would say WG might bring out more grey and the RG could bring out more of the purple but i could totally be talking out of my a** right now
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BEG,
I have a 14K rose gold ring, and it is very coppery, so I''m not sure that would be a good fit, however, I was told that 18K rose gold was less coppery. Again, not sure about how 18K rose gold would look with a more lavender diamond. It''s not really a very grey stone, it''s much lighter than the pictures (especially the top one). It''s hard to get a good pic without the camera shadow interfering.

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I''d probably put them in bezeled stackers like these (separate though, so that they could be worn individually/together, etc.)

il_430xN_56020378.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the stacker ring idea.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 2:01:13 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Thanks PR, no pendants though. I want a ring. but I appreciate the help. I would also be worried about it falling off as a pendant.

I was thinking not necessarily design, but who makes three stone bands that can fit such sizes, and do you think the pink gold would do anything for a lavender diamond. Would it be better with 18K pink vs 14K pink (too coppery). Thanks FlyGirl for the great ideas.

Okay, you don''t want design, but more who can design a ring that will incorporate all of the stones. Whiteflash and Wink Jones make great custom designs, depending on your budget. The setting will defnitely need to accomodate the stones and not the other way around.

1) You have two stones of similar diameter that share a yellow tint (the .32 olive and .27 greenish-yellow).

2) You have a .40 stone that has a pink/lavender tint that is the largest.

3) You definitely want the lavender stone to POP as much as possible, but you don''t want the other stones to clash.

4) If you do a yellow head, your yellow tinted stones will be enhanced, but your lavender stone might be washed out.

5) If you do a rose/pink head, the yellow tinted stones will still be enhanced, but the lavender stone might just blend in.

6) If you do a white head, the yellow tinted stones will be slightly muted, but the lavender will stand on its own and POP since there is no competing background color. Also, lavender is a cooler color and white will complement it. And I think the white head will help tie everything together.

7) In a nutshell, if you want the yellow tinted diamonds to pop, go wtih a yellow head. If you want the lavender to pop, go with the white head.

Hope this helps, and I can''t wait to see what you are going to do with these lovelies!
36.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks PR, because of that dillema with the different gold colors and how they would respond to the color of the diamonds, I'm really liking the stacking option (thanks Peony). I just don't want these diamonds in bezels since I like to be able to look at the pavillion. Are there stacking options with prongs?

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I personally wouldn''t go rose gold for the lavender diamond, I now know from experience how rose gold can overshaddow a slightly pinky stone or alter the appearence of it''s colour.

I love the stacker ring idea, very classy.

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
I too like the idea of a stacker in the one picture, bezel. Not a huge bezel fan but it seems to "work". Nice diamonds

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL - the stacker option is a great idea. I wouldn''t go for a standard trilogy because the two side stones don''t "match" and I (personally) couldn''t live with having a lack of symmetry (wrong word but you know what I mean)!

I have a lavender coloured diamond very similar to yours. I experimented for ages with metal colours and in the end opted for white gold. Yellow was too much of a contrast and rose gold actually detracted from the lavender. I ended up with white gold but in all honesty it does blend a bit too well with the white and the colour/contrast gets lost. I think in hindsight if I were re-doing the ring, I''d opt for a very gentle yellow (not too coppery). Unfortunately it''s one of those colours that doesn''t really work brilliantly with anything! I''ve been searching for a photo and only have one and it doesn''t do the ring or central diamond justice. I''m attaching it anyway for you to see but bear in mind the central stone is much deeper IRL.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 2:47:51 PM
Author: 4ever
I personally wouldn''t go rose gold for the lavender diamond, I now know from experience how rose gold can overshaddow a slightly pinky stone or alter the appearence of it''s colour.

I also learned the hard way. Rose gold is a strong color and it can overpower stones with pink tones. I had my peachy toned diamond set in an all rose gold ring. I thought it would be a nice combo since I''ve never had rose gold or a colored diamond before. I was forewarned that the rose gold will drown the color of the diamond. Sure enough, it did. And the diamond didn''t pop. It just blended in, much to my disappointment.

Rose gold should definitely be used with caution and great thought.

TL, I also like the stacker idea!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for the kind words on my diamonds.

LD,
That is a gorgeous lavender diamond you have - I love the cushion cutting. Do you mind sharing the carat size since it looks very substantial in that setting. I''m just trying to gage how mine would look as a solitarie since it''s slightly less than half a carat in size. It''s frustrating because I LOVE the color of that diamond, but they don''t make lavender gold - ha!!! Wish that they did, they seem to make every gold color under the sun these days.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 3:05:27 PM
Author: platinumrock
Date: 2/16/2009 2:47:51 PM

Author: 4ever

I also learned the hard way. Rose gold is a strong color and it can overpower stones with pink tones. I had my peachy toned diamond set in an all rose gold ring. I thought it would be a nice combo since I''ve never had rose gold or a colored diamond before. I was forewarned that the rose gold will drown the color of the diamond. Sure enough, it did. And the diamond didn''t pop. It just blended in, much to my disappointment.

Rose gold should definitely be used with caution and great thought.

TL, I also like the stacker idea!

That''s my concern too. If you want to incorporate RG, how about just prongs in RG, and the rest in WG? But I think I agree- if there''s not much grey in your lavender diamond, go WG.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
HI BEG!
35.gif
I''m always happy to see you here. How are you enjoying your blueberry?
18.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the bezeled stackers...those would be gorgeous!

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2009 3:08:32 PM

LD,
That is a gorgeous lavender diamond you have - I love the cushion cutting. Do you mind sharing the carat size since it looks very substantial in that setting. I''m just trying to gage how mine would look as a solitarie since it''s slightly less than half a carat in size. It''s frustrating because I LOVE the color of that diamond, but they don''t make lavender gold - ha!!! Wish that they did, they seem to make every gold color under the sun these days.
http://www.purplegold.com/

just sayin''
2.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LD,
That is a gorgeous lavender diamond you have - I love the cushion cutting. Do you mind sharing the carat size since it looks very substantial in that setting. I'm just trying to gage how mine would look as a solitarie since it's slightly less than half a carat in size. It's frustrating because I LOVE the color of that diamond, but they don't make lavender gold - ha!!! Wish that they did, they seem to make every gold color under the sun these days.
TL of course I don't mind. It's 0.42ct and the dimensions are 4.11 x 4.01 x 2.78. The certificate states it's a Light Purplish Pink and an SI3 (which I'd agree with!). If It helps, my finger size in that photo is a US size 7 (have since lost weight and my fingers are the first things to shrink
4.gif
).

I noticed the other day that QVC are selling black gold, blue gold, red gold, purple gold chains! When I looked into a bit more it's a coated gold and looks a bit false. I have no idea what would happen when it's been in contact with the skin for a while but I can't imagine it being very pretty!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BEG,
Yes, I'll have to check it out in my faux white gold stone holder. Maybe white gold would be the better option here. The yellow diamonds have a lot of green in them, especially the olive one, it's definitely more green than any yellow, so I'm still thinking yellow gold would be good with that stone. I would love to get a green gold head for the ring, but I don't think they make such a thing.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
thanks for the info, wow, that''s nice to know about your diamond. I appreciate it. You are too kind. I can''t wait to see what you are going to do with your new chameleon diamond by the way.
2.gif

QVC sells everything !! I have to check that out, I wonder if it''s some kind of enamelling over the chains (????).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2009 3:24:15 PM
Author: paeony

LD,
http://www.purplegold.com/

just sayin''
2.gif
LOL!! That''s hillarious. I guess they really do make every color gold under the sun. Thank Peony for the link.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No problems TL. Any time!

BTW you can get green gold at some places. I know that David at DBL put together a green gold (bezel?) setting for somebody so I''m sure it can be done - not sure of the cost though.

In terms of the chains - not sure what the gold is made from. Some are rhodium plated but others are trademarked so it may be a new type of coating. http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.CM_SCID.coll.item.J43122.desc.Colors-of-Gold-20-Mirror-Sunray-Necklace-14K-Gold-25g

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
How about semi-bezeled stackers, each in the color gold you want. I'm finding my ruby ring is fairly open on the sides, and works as a stacker, ie, the stone doesn't touch the stone in neighboring rings. (More pics here Link)

RubySet3931a.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results