shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts/Opinions on these two OEC

KevinCL

Rough_Rock
Hi, I was hoping I could get some of your opinions on these two OEC diamonds. I live in NYC, and now that things are finally slowly opening back up, I got a chance to look at some diamonds in person with my gf. Below are two that we liked the most. I was just curious whether you thought the pricing on these are fair, and other general thoughts/opinions. Do you like A or B more? Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Option A: 2.14ct H, VVS2 $23,210.44
Option B: 2.29ct I, VVS1, $22,500 (forgot the exact figure but it was around here)

Vid of option A:
Vid of option B:

Side-by-Side Vid (A on left, B on right):

Two side-by-side images (A on left, B on right)
Side-by-side 1.jpg side-by-side 2.jpg

GIA for option A
Option A - GIA Report_2.14ct H VVS2.png
GIA for option B
Option B - GIA Report_2.29ct I VVS1.png

one extra vid of option A:

Reactions: AV_

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you will get more eyes on this in the Rocky Talk sub forum, you can report your post and ask the mods to move it.

I personally like the look of B, plus it's bigger and slightly less expensive however OEC's are subjective so you really need to see them in person to "know".

KevinCL

Rough_Rock
I think you will get more eyes on this in the Rocky Talk sub forum, you can report your post and ask the mods to move it.

I personally like the look of B, plus it's bigger and slightly less expensive however OEC's are subjective so you really need to see them in person to "know".

Ah, good suggestion, I will do that! And thanks so much for your feedback. Completely agreed on the OEC's being subjective... it was very difficult for us to narrow down to these two as our (her) favorites!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I do not believe that these are OECs.

the left one(A) looks like a modern round brilliant
The right one (B) is early modern/ traditional round.

I like B more, and that is more my kinda flavour, OEC.
Not sure in pricing... but try Adam at Old world diamonds. He has a HUGE range and he has been known to work with your budget, really well.

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
as a data nerd, any chance to ask the vendor to provide idealscope and aset images for further assessment?

based on available info alone, not sure if it's because of angle, option b looks slightly brighter and bigger to me?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TBH, the H looks like a poorly cut MRB.

The I might pass for an OEC, but nothing about it stands out, at least not in the videos and pics posted here. I think you can do much better, especially for that price.

For that price, I would like this stone a lot more. the faceting is sharper and petals are more clearly defined. You can ask Grace to send you a video of the stone resting on top of her closed hand between her fingers. Have her rock the diamond around in a circular motion so you can see how the facets light up.

Or this might be nice too. Need better videos of both these. Holding in tweezers does not really give you a good idea of how the facets light up.

Last edited:

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Hmm option A doesn't really look like an OEC to me, maybe a very early MRB? Option B seems more like a transitional cut, which is between OEC and MRB.

Are you guys looking for traditional OECs, and if so, how color sensitive are you? I also echo people above saying you could find much better cut OECs from Jewels by Grace, or in person, definitely Adam at Old World Diamonds since you are in New York!

KevinCL

Rough_Rock
I do not believe that these are OECs.

the left one(A) looks like a modern round brilliant
The right one (B) is early modern/ traditional round.

I like B more, and that is more my kinda flavour, OEC.
Not sure in pricing... but try Adam at Old world diamonds. He has a HUGE range and he has been known to work with your budget, really well.

Interesting, that's a bit concerning - my gf like this jeweler mostly from the way she sets her rings. Maybe I'm better off sourcing the diamond from Adam or a different seller. Sounds like I have a bit more searching to do! Very helpful input, I'll definitely check out old world diamonds, thank you!

KevinCL

Rough_Rock
as a data nerd, any chance to ask the vendor to provide idealscope and aset images for further assessment?

based on available info alone, not sure if it's because of angle, option b looks slightly brighter and bigger to me?

I asked her about to provide idealscope/aset images but she doesn't do them unfortunately. Sounds another reason for me to source the diamond from someone else.

Regarding option B looking brighter, I noticed that as well after I posted the pics, and that's most likely my fault for not finding the right angle for a proper comparison. I didn't notice a major difference in brightness when looking at them side-by-side in person.

KevinCL

Rough_Rock
Hmm option A doesn't really look like an OEC to me, maybe a very early MRB? Option B seems more like a transitional cut, which is between OEC and MRB.

Are you guys looking for traditional OECs, and if so, how color sensitive are you? I also echo people above saying you could find much better cut OECs from Jewels by Grace, or in person, definitely Adam at Old World Diamonds since you are in New York!

This seems to be a recurring theme, very glad I posted these and got such helpful feedback!

I suppose we are looking for traditional OEC's, although we like them less because of the history and more so purely because of the look. We like the big faucets and appreciate how each diamond seems to be more unique.

Color-wise... somewhat sensitive? We liked the G,H,I range the most. To be fair, we were putting diamonds side-by-side, so things were more noticeable that way. Perhaps we'd be less sensitive without such a direct comparison.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you are not specifically shopping for an older style cut like an OEC, you will have many more options shopping modern round brilliant cuts(like stone A). In that case, GIA Triple Ex is pretty much the standard now. A triple Ex will help you avoid some problems, such as a extremely thin girdle (stone A) which makes a diamond more prone to chipping.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
This seems to be a recurring theme, very glad I posted these and got such helpful feedback!

I suppose we are looking for traditional OEC's, although we like them less because of the history and more so purely because of the look. We like the big faucets and appreciate how each diamond seems to be more unique.

Color-wise... somewhat sensitive? We liked the G,H,I range the most. To be fair, we were putting diamonds side-by-side, so things were more noticeable that way. Perhaps we'd be less sensitive without such a direct comparison.

I think for old cuts like OECs, definitely taking the time to look at a lot of them (Jewels by Grace has great pictures on her website) to see what type of OECs you like is a good idea. For me, I like the chunky facets of old cuts as well and especially love bubbly, flowery OECs, but there are a few different "flavors." The more you see, the more you know what to look for.

I'm curious if the jeweler represented Option A as an OEC because it really doesn't seem to be an OEC from what I can tell, either in the photo or the GIA report. While it is totally possible to find OECs in the higher color ranges, they become quite expensive with the size and G/H colors especially, something to keep in mind! Also well-cut OECs will face up a little whiter so even if you go down in color, they won't show as much warmth.

Definitely compare traditional OECs, transitionals, and even MRBs and see what about them draws your eyes the most. Maybe your gf was drawn to these two stones because she prefers less "chunky" looks and more precise cuts.

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I suppose we are looking for traditional OEC's ... purely because of the look.

Which tradition!

These www are the look of 'old brilliants' to me, but rounded stones only just happen with such proportions (see center www); once round shapes became common, proportions had changed (see items from around 1920) & so forth...

If the stones you were offered are not the type you are after, allowing early not round brilliants may open possibilities.

2p

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
If you like big facets and not the history... you could look at the August vintage lines- they are newly cut stones to have those older, broader facets look to them. Also gemconcepts as @AV_ pointed out. I also believe that victor canera has newly cut stones to make them look old styles.

yes/ there are lots of options with nuances with All of them. Lol.

i like oecs for the broad flashes- big facets.... and the Crisp flowery pattern that they have. As with all diamond cuts- some are good and some notso good.

be careful... once you see these older cuts... you may change from a round shape to cushion shape... which has a few more nuances... just so th be different, yanno? Lololol

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Ring setting. Once again- some you like and some you don’t.
You need to ask your local jeweler if they will set an outside stone and insurance that goes with loose stones.

some of the vendors discussed above can replicate a setting/ look really well. Victor canera is quite bespoken-and very lush!! Also more $ and you know it will be one that will turn heads!!!

Also consider the wedding band. It may change the style of your ER (Engagement ring) slightly. Bands will rub against each other and if they have diamonds on the bands, you need to choose carefully the design of each band.
This is an exciting time. Go with the flow.
lots of info. Take some time out if you need.

we can give lots of info and it can be quite overwhelming... and you are at the beginning of your search!

KevinCL

Rough_Rock

Wow these are all amazing! My gf definitely likes the chunkier look, and we love the flowery look on these! I think she chose the two options I posted about as our favorites because we just weren't shown proper OEC's :/

You've definitely set us on the right path - there are so many better options on this website!. We also set up an appointment w/ Adam at OWD next week. Thanks again!

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Wow these are all amazing! My gf definitely likes the chunkier look, and we love the flowery look on these! I think she chose the two options I posted about as our favorites because we just weren't shown proper OEC's :/

You've definitely set us on the right path - there are so many better options on this website!. We also set up an appointment w/ Adam at OWD next week. Thanks again!

Yay that's amazing! They're both as nice as can be. I'm jealous you will get to see some of Adam's stones in person, I live in California so never had the chance to see his collection IRL. Good luck and don't forget to share some photos with us ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results