shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this WF Expert Selection

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Looks like I might be able to upgrade my ACA soon and I found a beautiful Expert Selection from Whiteflash that I think fits the bill. I asked why it was not an ACA and was told it was purely because of the flourescence, which for me is actually something I like the idea of, espcially because it's something that's unique to natural diamonds (from what I know). @DejaWiz if you are around I would love to hear your thoughts, you always give the best advice!! Also @Garry H (Cut Nut) we have chatted in the past about my fear of that darkening effect that can happen (that gif of the girl putting the ring closer to her face and it become darker if that rings a bell?) would love to hear your thoughts on how this one might compare to my current one :)

This is the little beauty:

and this is my original diamond:

With the stats being slightly different, would the overall look of the diamond be very different to my original one? I absolutely adore my diamond and would purely want something a bit bigger so I would prefer that they be similar "flavors" if you will. Am I on the right track?

Also am I naive to think the flourescence really won't be an issue?

One final note, is it odd that I worry about a GIA instead of an AGS diamond? I know they have merged now but for some reason the GIA grading feels like a step down, am I crazy for feeling this way?

I really would prefer to stay under $7k for the diamond and as big as possible, which is why this one really appeals to me, but at the same time if its not a great choice I am more than happy to know that as well and wait for something better. Brutal honestly will be greatly appreciated :D

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You won't have to worry about over-obstruction on the F. The proportions are picture-perfect. I also think the fluorescence isn't an issue at all.

However, I think the overall look will be slightly different from your current diamond, due to the smaller table, taller crown height, and shorter lower halves. All WF's in-house stones are cut to a similar standard, though, so the differences won't be that noticeable. The F may lean just a bit more fiery while your current diamond may lean a bit more towards brightness.

I get what you mean about feeling like a GIA report is a step down from AGS. Maybe once you decide on a diamond, you could get a supplemental AGS Ideal Report for it.

This stone gets you a little more diameter.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
You won't have to worry about over-obstruction on the F. The proportions are picture-perfect. I also think the fluorescence isn't an issue at all.

However, I think the overall look will be slightly different from your current diamond, due to the smaller table, taller crown height, and shorter lower halves. All WF's in-house stones are cut to a similar standard, though, so the differences won't be that noticeable. The F may lean just a bit more fiery while your current diamond may lean a bit more towards brightness.

I get what you mean about feeling like a GIA report is a step down from AGS. Maybe once you decide on a diamond, you could get a supplemental AGS Ideal Report for it.

This stone gets you a little more diameter.

Thank you so much for you input! Oh wow that one looks so nice as well!! I wonder if this one also missed the ACA mark due to flourescence only, I will have to ask them.

When I ordered my current one I was really scared of it looking dark (probably silly given it's an aca) so I tried my best to aim for stats that would favour brightness. Now I am scared to move away from that because in my mind I can't quite 100% grasp what it would mean to have more fire instead. Does that mean it would look grey in some lighting? I know I must sound insane haha!

It is such a pain beacause I'm in Australia so its much harder to order a few different ones and then return them so I really want to make sure I don't make a mistake.

Do you think maybe with the F 1.13 the flashes would maybe be more chunky whereas my current one is more glittery? I have tried ot learn lots about the lower halves and lean more towards 77 - 78 but maybe I am overthinking things as well.

I also found this one which I love but sadly out of the current budget :(

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for you input! Oh wow that one looks so nice as well!! I wonder if this one also missed the ACA mark due to flourescence only, I will have to ask them.

When I ordered my current one I was really scared of it looking dark (probably silly given it's an aca) so I tried my best to aim for stats that would favour brightness. Now I am scared to move away from that because in my mind I can't quite 100% grasp what it would mean to have more fire instead. Does that mean it would look grey in some lighting? I know I must sound insane haha!

It is such a pain beacause I'm in Australia so its much harder to order a few different ones and then return them so I really want to make sure I don't make a mistake.

Do you think maybe with the F 1.13 the flashes would maybe be more chunky whereas my current one is more glittery? I have tried ot learn lots about the lower halves and lean more towards 77 - 78 but maybe I am overthinking things as well.

I also found this one which I love but sadly out of the current budget :(

Oh, I love the G you posted. Its proportions are closer to your current diamond. I think the F will have a bit broader flashes compared to skinnier flashes in yours.

What if you asked WF for comparison videos in different lighting conditions of the F with one of these stones, to get a feel for the different flavors? Either of these would be very close in flavor to your current stone.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I love the G you posted. Its proportions are closer to your current diamond. I think the F will have a bit broader flashes compared to skinnier flashes in yours.

What if you asked WF for comparison videos in different lighting conditions of the F with one of these stones, to get a feel for the different flavors? Either of these would be very close in flavor to your current stone.

Thank you thats such a good idea! I have emailed WF to ask about the other expert select you showed me and then I will get some comparisons done :)

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
@Kim N I emailed Whiteflash and asked about the 1.17 H expert select you had suggested and they said that from what they can see, because it was certified around the time of the merge, as it only had GIA and not AGS report it probably remained as an expert selection, but otherwise the numbers all look good.

I really like this one but it has also got me thinking about something else that you might have some more knowledge about. I am noticing that so many of the current inventory seem to have a lower girdle % of 75. I have heard that GIA rounds to the nearest 5 so now I am wondering, is there a way to know what the true lower girdle is on the GIA ACAs or expert selection diamonds? Surely they can't all be exactly 75 right? Even with the one we are looking at it says LG % of 80, but would it actually be 80 or is it maybe 78 or something like that? Maybe I am just nitpicking but it has become a bit confusing trying to compare the GIA stats with the AGS ones, should I maybe focus more on the ASET images / ideal scope instead?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Kim N I emailed Whiteflash and asked about the 1.17 H expert select you had suggested and they said that from what they can see, because it was certified around the time of the merge, as it only had GIA and not AGS report it probably remained as an expert selection, but otherwise the numbers all look good.

I really like this one but it has also got me thinking about something else that you might have some more knowledge about. I am noticing that so many of the current inventory seem to have a lower girdle % of 75. I have heard that GIA rounds to the nearest 5 so now I am wondering, is there a way to know what the true lower girdle is on the GIA ACAs or expert selection diamonds? Surely they can't all be exactly 75 right? Even with the one we are looking at it says LG % of 80, but would it actually be 80 or is it maybe 78 or something like that? Maybe I am just nitpicking but it has become a bit confusing trying to compare the GIA stats with the AGS ones, should I maybe focus more on the ASET images / ideal scope instead?

They're definitely not all exactly 75% or 80%. WF used to provide Sarine reports by request, though I'm not sure if they do that anymore. Once you've narrowed down a few diamonds, you could ask. My guess is the H is 78-80%. Table size plays a part in the size of the arrows too; for the same LGF, a larger table will show skinnier arrows.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
They're definitely not all exactly 75% or 80%. WF used to provide Sarine reports by request, though I'm not sure if they do that anymore. Once you've narrowed down a few diamonds, you could ask. My guess is the H is 78-80%. Table size plays a part in the size of the arrows too; for the same LGF, a larger table will show skinnier arrows.

That makes sense thanks so much! I found another potential but the clarity is not as good on this one so I am finding out some more details. It says eye clean but what do you think, maybe a bit too much as far as inclusions?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
That makes sense thanks so much! I found another potential but the clarity is not as good on this one so I am finding out some more details. It says eye clean but what do you think, maybe a bit too much as far as inclusions?

Definitely ask for an eyes-on assessment as well as videos in multiple lighting conditions at varying distances...this one looks quite promising.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Definitely ask for an eyes-on assessment as well as videos in multiple lighting conditions at varying distances...this one looks quite promising.

Awesome thank you will do!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It could be really nice. I'd tell WF your definition of eye-clean (how many inches away, etc.) to see if this works for you. Is it big enough, though? The others you were considering were larger.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
It could be really nice. I'd tell WF your definition of eye-clean (how many inches away, etc.) to see if this works for you. Is it big enough, though? The others you were considering were larger.

Tbh I would prefer it a bit bigger!! But then when I put the numbers into diamdb and I wonder if the tiny jump would make as much of a difference given the big price jumps. I really don't know :think:

This would be my current 0.718 vs the 1.13 F

1709361127673.png

And then my current one vs the 1.07 H:

1709361140344.png

And the 1.07 vs the 1.13. definilty a size difference but I'm not sure how noticable it would be?

1709361251081.png

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sugarcloud, I know you have been thinking of upgrading for a bit. In a perfect world, what is the size you would ultimately want to get to? I ask because of the upgrade policy now in place at WF. No one can predict the diamond market of course, but I would hate to see you settle at a place that you would not be happy with so just thought I'd ask! You can always ask the folks at WF if they have anything new in the pipeline that might interest you.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Awesome thank you will do!!

Throwing out another avenue of thought:
What about going for the WF upgrade to around 1.0-1.1 carat for your primary/heirloom/keepsake/meaningful piece and get yourself a cost effective human grown that's even a little larger in carat weight and diameter as a daily wear & tear and travel "safety diamond"?

This will, of course, be entirely dependent on your personal preference and feelings towards human grown diamonds.

Example: 1.2-1.3 (around 7mm) D VVS1 HPHT 40.9/34.5/56 H&A designation - around $700.
(I'm not going to post any other details here in RT...you'd have to start a thread in LGD/MMD)

If the WF ACA 1.07 H SI1 turns out to be your winner, then you could put the rest of your budget towards something like that, only if you would feel right about it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I notice the size difference between the 1.07 and 1.13 on the comparison pic, because they're next to each other. But irl I doubt I'd notice

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
@sugarcloud, I know you have been thinking of upgrading for a bit. In a perfect world, what is the size you would ultimately want to get to? I ask because of the upgrade policy now in place at WF. No one can predict the diamond market of course, but I would hate to see you settle at a place that you would not be happy with so just thought I'd ask! You can always ask the folks at WF if they have anything new in the pipeline that might interest you.

Please dont judge the mental gymnastics but here goes....

Honestly, in a perfect world if money was no object I would love a 1.25 carat.

I can't remember if I have told this story here before but my diamond obsession started with a cz ring I bought years and years ago. I still own it and it haunts me (yes I know I sound nuts!) it's 7mm (I used ot think that was equivalent to 1.3ct but I think 1.25 is probably closer) and ever since I have always dreamed of having a real diamond in that size.

The reality is I probably will never be able to get that exact size and I have made peace that if I can get as close as possible I will be happy.

I think as I am getting closer to something that is atleast in the vicinity, I am now starting to feel nervous about spending that amount of money and am questioning if the tiny increments in size are worth the knowledge that it is closer to 7mm like my cz which I seem to base all diamonds off now. I know it is so silly.

I think part of it is reaching that 7mm mark and and another part is it getting something that is noticblly bigger than my current one and I am trying to figure out if I can find a good compromise where I don't end up feeling regret one way or the other.

I also have always loved the idea of having something "over 1 carat", again so silly!! I don't know why but it just sounds so nice. So that also makes we think that maybe as long as I am hitting over 1 carat, and not too much smaller than 6.8mm (which in my mind is equivalent to 7mm seeing as they look the same to the human eye) maybe I can feel content.

Ok guys Im ready for the loony bin!! :loopy:

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Throwing out another avenue of thought:
What about going for the WF upgrade to around 1.0-1.1 carat for your primary/heirloom/keepsake/meaningful piece and get yourself a cost effective human grown that's even a little larger in carat weight and diameter as a daily wear & tear and travel "safety diamond"?

This will, of course, be entirely dependent on your personal preference and feelings towards human grown diamonds.

Example: 1.2-1.3 (around 7mm) D VVS1 HPHT 40.9/34.5/56 H&A designation - around $700.
(I'm not going to post any other details here in RT...you'd have to start a thread in LGD/MMD)

If the WF ACA 1.07 H SI1 turns out to be your winner, then you could put the rest of your budget towards something like that, only if you would feel right about it.

I have thought about going down the lab grown path in the past and honestly I so WISH that I could because it would solve all of my diamond issues so well, but I know myself and know that I just wouldn't feel happy with a lab stone. Again it is purely a mental thing for me, otherwise I would do it in a heartbeat!

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I notice the size difference between the 1.07 and 1.13 on the comparison pic, because they're next to each other. But irl I doubt I'd notice

Thank you! Can I ask you a follow up question. If you compare my current 0.7 to the 1.07, would you say that it's a significant difference? Like for example if you were wearing the 0.7 one day and then it got swapped to the 1.07 the next day do you think you would notice the change and think its a lot bigger or would it just be like oh my diamond looks a tiny bit bigger today?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No looney bin for you! We all have reasons and reasoning for what we need or want in diamonds. Yours actually sounds pretty logical to me!
There is size difference between your current diamond and those you are considering. I will tell you though that even though a diamond seems large at first, the dreaded diamond shrinkage sets in. So if in hindsight you can remind yourself that you hit the size you wanted and are glad to have it, the shrinkage won’t matter so much - lol!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Can I ask you a follow up question. If you compare my current 0.7 to the 1.07, would you say that it's a significant difference? Like for example if you were wearing the 0.7 one day and then it got swapped to the 1.07 the next day do you think you would notice the change and think its a lot bigger or would it just be like oh my diamond looks a tiny bit bigger today?

Omg yes, that difference I'd notice immediately

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
No looney bin for you! We all have reasons and reasoning for what we need or want in diamonds. Yours actually sounds pretty logical to me!
There is size difference between your current diamond and those you are considering. I will tell you though that even though a diamond seems large at first, the dreaded diamond shrinkage sets in. So if in hindsight you can remind yourself that you hit the size you wanted and are glad to have it, the shrinkage won’t matter so much - lol!

Haha thank you!!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh thank God!! I have family members telling me they are a tiny bit different but basically the same and I keep telling them that they are insane!!

Omg no, those ppl are dead wrong. The difference will be very clear. .2mm is what most folks notice, and this difference will be larger than that.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Please dont judge the mental gymnastics but here goes....

Honestly, in a perfect world if money was no object I would love a 1.25 carat.

I can't remember if I have told this story here before but my diamond obsession started with a cz ring I bought years and years ago. I still own it and it haunts me (yes I know I sound nuts!) it's 7mm (I used ot think that was equivalent to 1.3ct but I think 1.25 is probably closer) and ever since I have always dreamed of having a real diamond in that size.

The reality is I probably will never be able to get that exact size and I have made peace that if I can get as close as possible I will be happy.

I think as I am getting closer to something that is atleast in the vicinity, I am now starting to feel nervous about spending that amount of money and am questioning if the tiny increments in size are worth the knowledge that it is closer to 7mm like my cz which I seem to base all diamonds off now. I know it is so silly.

I think part of it is reaching that 7mm mark and and another part is it getting something that is noticblly bigger than my current one and I am trying to figure out if I can find a good compromise where I don't end up feeling regret one way or the other.

I also have always loved the idea of having something "over 1 carat", again so silly!! I don't know why but it just sounds so nice. So that also makes we think that maybe as long as I am hitting over 1 carat, and not too much smaller than 6.8mm (which in my mind is equivalent to 7mm seeing as they look the same to the human eye) maybe I can feel content.

Ok guys Im ready for the loony bin!! :loopy:

Ask WF to make you a comparison video with...and this might be throwing rocks in a pins to make waves...one or both of these K color diamonds. See what you think when it's next to an H or higher color grade.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tbh I would prefer it a bit bigger!! But then when I put the numbers into diamdb and I wonder if the tiny jump would make as much of a difference given the big price jumps. I really don't know :think:

This would be my current 0.718 vs the 1.13 F

1709361127673.png

And then my current one vs the 1.07 H:

1709361140344.png

And the 1.07 vs the 1.13. definilty a size difference but I'm not sure how noticable it would be?

1709361251081.png

I can see the difference between the 1.07 and 1.13 if they're side-by-side. However, every extra millimeter helps, so if it were me, I'd still go for the 1.17 over the 1.07 or 1.13.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Ask WF to make you a comparison video with...and this might be throwing rocks in a pins to make waves...one or both of these K color diamonds. See what you think when it's next to an H or higher color grade.

Thanks so much :) I have thought about loweing the colour grade but to be honest I think I would always end up feeling so paranoid about any bit of warmth and asking myself if I should have gone for something higher. Right now I don't think I would want to go any lower than an I colour like my current one, bit I will still keep these in mind!!

If I am looking for a stone with maximum diameter would a lower crown angle and larger table be the way to go? And am I right in thinking that these would also be leaning more towrds birghtness rather than fire?

I still don't quite understand how a diamond with maximum fire would differ to one that has more brightness when it comes to everyday light settings. Do more firey stone have more of a grey appearence when they are not in full disco ball mode or is it that the arrows tend to look more prominent? Still so much to learn! :geek2:

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I can see the difference between the 1.07 and 1.13 if they're side-by-side. However, every extra millimeter helps, so if it were me, I'd still go for the 1.17 over the 1.07 or 1.13.

Thank you, I am leaning the same way I think! I don't want to have regrets so I definitly want to get as big as I can :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much :) I have thought about loweing the colour grade but to be honest I think I would always end up feeling so paranoid about any bit of warmth and asking myself if I should have gone for something higher. Right now I don't think I would want to go any lower than an I colour like my current one, bit I will still keep these in mind!!

If I am looking for a stone with maximum diameter would a lower crown angle and larger table be the way to go? And am I right in thinking that these would also be leaning more towrds birghtness rather than fire?

I still don't quite understand how a diamond with maximum fire would differ to one that has more brightness when it comes to everyday light settings. Do more firey stone have more of a grey appearence when they are not in full disco ball mode or is it that the arrows tend to look more prominent? Still so much to learn! :geek2:

Larger tables and lower crown angles can lean toward brightness. Larger flat area and crown angles that aren't as high don't always have the sharp, deeper light flashes. Smaller tables and higher crown angles can show more fire as the sharper angles produce bolder flashes of light return. It doesn't mean that either have a gray appearance, but you might find the latter has a bit of a darker appearance overall. However, these nuances can be small and super ideal cut diamonds will exhibit both.

The super ideal cut diamonds also feature edge to edge brightness so that no, you don't need larger table/lower crown angle to maximize diameter. If you are torn between the F and the H, ask Whiteflash to do a comparison video for you. One of those diamonds may look better to you than the other or they may appear the same.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Was WF not able to provide comparison videos of the 1.13 or 1.17 with the ~1.1 stones that had similar flavor to your current stone?

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Larger tables and lower crown angles can lean toward brightness. Larger flat area and crown angles that aren't as high don't always have the sharp, deeper light flashes. Smaller tables and higher crown angles can show more fire as the sharper angles produce bolder flashes of light return. It doesn't mean that either have a gray appearance, but you might find the latter has a bit of a darker appearance overall. However, these nuances can be small and super ideal cut diamonds will exhibit both.

The super ideal cut diamonds also feature edge to edge brightness so that no, you don't need larger table/lower crown angle to maximize diameter. If you are torn between the F and the H, ask Whiteflash to do a comparison video for you. One of those diamonds may look better to you than the other or they may appear the same.

@MissGotRocks Thanks so much, that really helps a lot!! I am getitng them to do a video and I will compare them and also compare to another ACA that does have similar specs to my current one (sadly its out of my price range) so I'll see how it goes :)

Was WF not able to provide comparison videos of the 1.13 or 1.17 with the ~1.1 stones that had similar flavor to your current stone?

They are setting that up and hopefully I can see if there is much of a difference! The 1.07 is a no go, apparently it is eye clean but close up might be visbible so I figure better safe than sorry. I'm getting WF to compare the 2 Expert selection ones and the 1.122 FVS1 to see how the all look :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results