shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this sapphire?

EEM

Rough_Rock
8CC9FDD7-2B54-4850-9CF3-60BF1D36ABFB.png ECD1CD4E-287D-49AC-A1F1-6A820482C81C.png 53FCB74C-63FC-446C-8CA9-B2F1A33FFDE6.png

1607192479275.png
1.8ct sapphire
Old mine diamonds

I’ve not sure I’ve ever seen a ring this old...new to vintage/antique jewelry. I wear a round solitaire/diamond eternity band combo.

Thank you!

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know your budget but the sapphire looks pretty meh, imo.

Darker tone, undersaturated, veering toward the green and not violet in hue. Maybe some condition issues, too. I think I can see the gallery beneath the stone at ~ 8 o'clock -- is it shallow, too? That would mean it is very dark material.

That said, if it had been a dear relative's, we'd wear it proudly and often!

Reactions: EEM

EEM

Rough_Rock
I don't know your budget but the sapphire looks pretty meh, imo.

Darker tone, undersaturated, veering toward the green and not violet in hue. Maybe some condition issues, too. I think I can see the gallery beneath the stone at ~ 8 o'clock -- is it shallow, too? That would mean it is very dark material.

That said, if it had been a dear relative's, we'd wear it proudly and often!

I don't really have much information to go on...nothing specific about the stone other than ctw, which should probably tell me something before I post. I just saw it listed for sale and thought it was pretty from the photos. I need to stick w/reputable dealers, I think! Thank you for sharing your expertise!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't really have much information to go on...nothing specific about the stone other than ctw, which should probably tell me something before I post. I just saw it listed for sale and thought it was pretty from the photos. I need to stick w/reputable dealers, I think! Thank you for sharing your expertise!

Hi, i agree with LilAlex, the sapphire looks meh. It looks like it is a newer eg more modern cut. To me this ring looks like it had the center stone replaced with one of lesser quality. OR it could actually be original to the ring, and the color is one that was popular in the past (inky blue, goes extinct in certain lighting). If the sapphire is a standard size (such as 9mm by 7mm) it might not be original. The close up photo at the top shows a poor quality fitting within the prongs, also indicating it’s not the originally set center stone (it also could have been taken out and put back in for other reasons).

Regarding the possibility of the center stone not being original: I’ve noticed so much of this hacking in the last year...seems like since antique jewery became popular and lucrative, dealers are splitting up antique pieces: replacing center stones, replacing halo melee, just hacking the entire ring and breaking it up into smaller pieces for profit. Much of what is being done is replacing high quality stones and high quality cuts (selling those elsewhere) for lesser but still claiming the piece is authentic.

Sorry for the rant. With all that said, I CAN say that the diamond melee around the stone appears unusually nice. The crowns are nice and high, the diamonds look substantial, perhaps 2.5mm or more? With all the hacking I’ve seen, who knows. But I would buy that piece based on the melee alone for the right price. I’ve been looking for a nice mellee antique halo for months, and they are very expensive. Those diamonds look like they have potential.

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sapphire is uninspiring, a murky teal blue colour. Unless in bright light it will look black. It also seems to have a feather to one side.
the rest of the ring is lovely, those diamonds are excellent quality.
so depending on the price, I’d consider buying it with the aim of replacing that centre sapphire.

EEM

Rough_Rock
Hi, i agree with LilAlex, the sapphire looks meh. It looks like it is a newer eg more modern cut. To me this ring looks like it had the center stone replaced with one of lesser quality. OR it could actually be original to the ring, and the color is one that was popular in the past (inky blue, goes extinct in certain lighting). If the sapphire is a standard size (such as 9mm by 7mm) it might not be original. The close up photo at the top shows a poor quality fitting within the prongs, also indicating it’s not the originally set center stone (it also could have been taken out and put back in for other reasons).

Regarding the possibility of the center stone not being original: I’ve noticed so much of this hacking in the last year...seems like since antique jewery became popular and lucrative, dealers are splitting up antique pieces: replacing center stones, replacing halo melee, just hacking the entire ring and breaking it up into smaller pieces for profit. Much of what is being done is replacing high quality stones and high quality cuts (selling those elsewhere) for lesser but still claiming the piece is authentic.

Sorry for the rant. With all that said, I CAN say that the diamond melee around the stone appears unusually nice. The crowns are nice and high, the diamonds look substantial, perhaps 2.5mm or more? With all the hacking I’ve seen, who knows. But I would buy that piece based on the melee alone for the right price. I’ve been looking for a nice mellee antique halo for months, and they are very expensive. Those diamonds look like they have potential.

The stone is approx 6.8 x 9.3...thoughts? It doesn't sit flush, now that I look closer and there is space with bent prongs, etc. I will inquire if it was removed or replaced, but no idea what type of answer to anticipate or if it will be accurate. What would be a reasonable price on this in your opinion if you don't mind me asking

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
my 2 cents is based on personal experience
unless you absolutly love darker saphires be really cateful thinking about what you want
if you are buying the ring for the rather lovelly setting and halo all is good
but if you have your eye on wearing it as is make sure you love dark saphires
What looks good under bright lighting or nice photos can look pretty much ink black on your finger latter

EEM

Rough_Rock

The sapphire is uninspiring, a murky teal blue colour. Unless in bright light it will look black. It also seems to have a feather to one side.
the rest of the ring is lovely, those diamonds are excellent quality.
so depending on the price, I’d consider buying it with the aim of replacing that centre sapphire.

Thank you! What would be a reasonable offer on a piece like this...if purchasing for the halo & setting?

EEM

Rough_Rock
my 2 cents is based on personal experience
unless you absolutly love darker saphires be really cateful thinking about what you want
if you are buying the ring for the rather lovelly setting and halo all is good
but if you have your eye on wearing it as is make sure you love dark saphires
What looks good under bright lighting or nice photos can look pretty much ink black on your finger latter

I didn't realize it was that dark...thank you! I have no idea what would be a reasonable offer on the halo if I were to make an offer. Any suggestions? I considering going this route of purchasing the E/W ring...need to probably make a decision by tomorrow so appreciate any input!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
This is something I was floating because I love this style & had many similar rings on my eBay watch list. For me personally, I’d have to be able to get the entire ring for a bit less than it would cost me to have it done new. I had received a quote from a jeweler and used that as my standard. I had considered going the new route first but then an opal cluster ring caught my eye and it started a thing...

I’d expect that it’d cost me more in most situations to replace the center stone with one that would fit (vs being able to find a good deal on a stone) and that I’d then prob need some repairs/ resizing/ whatever done to the setting... so I’d roll that into my cost too.

I can’t give advice on how much the ring itself is worth as that’s not my forte. But this is how I approached it. My thought was that if it’s anywhere near what it’d cost me to do it new, I’d rather go the custom route and get 100% what I want.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't realize it was that dark...thank you! I have no idea what would be a reasonable offer on the halo if I were to make an offer. Any suggestions? I considering going this route of purchasing the E/W ring...need to probably make a decision by tomorrow so appreciate any input!

I'm not nearly clever enough but someone else will help regarding value =)2
its just i brought this ring i adored in the shop
When i went to wear it, its basically black
the stone you are interested in looks a bit twlight to me
which i don't dislike twlight as a colour
but i just don't trust it not to be darker once its in your hot little hand

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me, I’d want to pay around $1,200 but that’s giving $0 value to the sapphire because I’d be removing it.
Unfortunately it’s not a nice sapphire, it will be hard to onsell in my opinion.
What price is the vendor asking?

EEM

Rough_Rock
I'm not nearly clever enough but someone else will help regarding value =)2
its just i brought this ring i adored in the shop
When i went to wear it, its basically black
the stone you are interested in looks a bit twlight to me
which i don't dislike twlight as a colour
but i just don't trust it not to be darker once its in your hot little hand

I’ve seen dark sapphires in person that I don’t prefer...didn’t realize how different they could look online, etc. Grateful for you sharing...& others too

EEM

Rough_Rock
Me, I’d want to pay around $1,200 but that’s giving $0 value to the sapphire because I’d be removing it.
Unfortunately it’s not a nice sapphire, it will be hard to onsell in my opinion.

$4k

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The seller will not take 1200 for that ring.
my lowballing experience has already tested those waters lol

EEM

Rough_Rock
This is something I was floating because I love this style & had many similar rings on my eBay watch list. For me personally, I’d have to be able to get the entire ring for a bit less than it would cost me to have it done new. I had received a quote from a jeweler and used that as my standard. I had considered going the new route first but then an opal cluster ring caught my eye and it started a thing...

I’d expect that it’d cost me more in most situations to replace the center stone with one that would fit (vs being able to find a good deal on a stone) and that I’d then prob need some repairs/ resizing/ whatever done to the setting... so I’d roll that into my cost too.

I can’t give advice on how much the ring itself is worth as that’s not my forte. But this is how I approached it. My thought was that if it’s anywhere near what it’d cost me to do it new, I’d rather go the custom route and get 100% what I want.

I imagine it could be expensive to replace, repair, etc., like you mentioned. It sounds like a fun an interesting project but I’m not sure I have the expertise to maneuver & wasn’t sure if it would coordinate well with my traditional solitaire. I’m all over the place...I’ve been planning to purchase a East-West sapphire ring (not antique) when this caught my eye & I sort of loved it too (or the idea of what it could be)...but need to make a decision!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d let this one go. It’s fine enough but these rings come up from time to time for cheaper than this with nicer stones

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I imagine it could be expensive to replace, repair, etc., like you mentioned. It sounds like a fun an interesting project but I’m not sure I have the expertise to maneuver & wasn’t sure if it would coordinate well with my traditional solitaire. I’m all over the place...I’ve been planning to purchase a East-West sapphire ring (not antique) when this caught my eye & I sort of loved it too (or the idea of what it could be)...but need to make a decision!!

tuck its memory away for a future project

i do love an East West

EEM

Rough_Rock
I’d let this one go. It’s fine enough but these rings come up from time to time for cheaper than this with nicer stones

Good advice...much appreciated!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results