shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this sapphire ring?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I bought this ring years and years ago way before being involved on PS and way before I took an avid interest in vintage jewelry. I just thought it was pretty and picked it up and was told it was old. I don’t wear it much. These are the only pictures I have of it right now because I’m not at my home-base (had to dig through my phone for these). But I was curious at what you guys thought of the sapphire and also if you have any idea what era it is etc. based on the design. The two diamond side stones are mismatched. One is an OEC and the other a brilliant. What probably happened is one of the stones fell out and they didn’t match it. Anyway don’t worry about hurting my feelings - you can tell me if you think it’s a piece of crap that I shouldn’t have bought LOL! It’s just now that I’ve discovered the forum and everybody’s interest in antique pieces I’m curious about what you guys think. I am looking forward to looking at it again when I go home. DE0B994B-0D73-4620-BFD9-FFFC10A67EF3.jpeg 8C75F041-961C-4D39-906A-838325297B8A.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a big fan of that setting and I’m thinking maybe 40’s 50’s. Just a guess, the sapphire is also a nice color. Are there any hallmarks inside the band?

If you aren’t wearing it you could try selling it on LT!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’m a big fan of that setting and I’m thinking maybe 40’s 50’s. Just a guess, the sapphire is also a nice color. Are there any hallmarks inside the band?

If you aren’t wearing it you could try selling it on LT!

It’s platinum hallmark I remember but since I don’t have it in hand I don’t know if there are others. When I get home I’m going to eyeball it more. :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I gotta say when you were like “you can tell me it’s a piece a crap” I was prepared for a visual apocalypse LOL!

Let’s hear the whole story about where it came from, who doesn’t love a good bling story?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
*What* are you talking about?
I would totally own that!
It's so pretty :praise:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it.
A slight shame about it not having two OECs but honestly, who cares!
it’s stunning.
wear it often.
forgot to add, being in platinum and looking at the fine milligram work, that’s a quality ring.
circa 1940s 1950s though it may be the original owner had it made with other heirloom diamonds.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everybody. I definitely did not think it was a piece of junk haha but since I bought it before I knew much and I still don’t know much about gemstones, then you guys would know if the quality was poor etc. The story isn’t that exciting as I bought it 12 or so years ago from a B&M store. I went to look at it three times before deciding to purchase. I really did love it back then but since then I got my e-ring and acquired more things and so it has not gotten much love recently. But I’ve only been active on the forum since November and since November I have not been at my home base. So since being active and falling in love with Oecs and then purchasing Chippy it got me thinking about this particular piece. I have a feeling it’s going to get more love once I go back home. :)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I love it.
A slight shame about it not having two OECs but honestly, who cares!
it’s stunning.
wear it often.
forgot to add, being in platinum and looking at the fine milligram work, that’s a quality ring.
circa 1940s 1950s though it may be the original owner had it made with other heirloom diamonds.

I think when I louped it way back then is when I learned what an oec actually was because I could tell that the diamonds weren’t the same.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty color!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful! Glad you plan to wear it more. It is a lovely design, the color of the sapphire is very pretty and it has milgrain. Swoon.
When you are back home please take more pics. Would love to see the gallery.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is wonderful!
You must get more photos when you can!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
And aren't you glad you found us? :mrgreen2:
We are all here to gush over your jewels, so post more photos of everything!

Soooooooo glad! I stumbled on the “show us your collection on one hand” post and am already planning to do that one!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The “Round Brilliant” could have been original to the ring (could be an Early Modern Round Brilliant). I’ve seen this before, in 1940s pieces, where diamonds that were available and which matched in size and color were used in a cluster like this. It seems actually pretty common for clustered rings at that time and even earlier. It’s a fantastic ring. I think 1940s. I’d love to see the cut of the sapphire when you have more photos and a side view. Love it.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is lovely, thanks for sharing!

DK :kiss2:

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is just lovely! I could see why you went back to the store 3x. I probably would have snatched it up the first time!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s gorgeous!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its a very striking piece that needs to be warn again when circumstances allow

lookingforsparkle

Shiny_Rock
It's stunning. I'd be wearing it all the time.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Absolutely gorgeous!!! Everything about it! Make sure you actually wear it sometimes. Beautiful, unique setting and stunning sapphire with fab color!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I'm late to this. I think it's pretty! It's such a wonderful blue!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sapphire looks in incredibly good shape to be "old." And the ring is lovely, just lovely. I love it.

What I suspect is that many jewelers and online sellers acquire a vintage diamond ring, take the main diamond out for resale, and replace the main diamond with a colored gemstone and resell the ring as a colored stone ring. That is why we see slight air gaps where the gemstone is set and wonky prongs when fitting slightly oval or cushion shaped colored stones into these rings.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
The sapphire looks in incredibly good shape to be "old." And the ring is lovely, just lovely. I love it.

What I suspect is that many jewelers and online sellers acquire a vintage diamond ring, take the main diamond out for resale, and replace the main diamond with a colored gemstone and resell the ring as a colored stone ring. That is why we see slight air gaps where the gemstone is set and wonky prongs when fitting slightly oval or cushion shaped colored stones into these rings.

Ah so you mean the sapphire may not be original to the ring? Interesting. Again I’m going to inspect more when I get back.

nutellakitty

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It is very pretty! I love the design!Center stone is also nice

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah so you mean the sapphire may not be original to the ring? Interesting. Again I’m going to inspect more when I get back.

Not sure with your lovely ring. But since the sapphire has not suffered any facet abrasions from the pictures, I suspect it might be a later addition to the ring. BTW- I was not referring to your ring when I mentioned wonky prongs. Just in general- it's an indicator that the main stone may have been replaced.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
A017E181-9557-4F94-8B74-F4F6DF360E7D.jpeg [I am back home and attaching more photographs. I’m actually really excited because it turns out that the other diamond is not an MRB but a transitional!! Again I’ve educated myself a lot the past two months - I did not recognize it as such before. I will definitely be wearing this ring more often. I really wish I could photograph the diamonds more easily but it’s so tough especially since there are small side stones in the middle of melee (melee are all teensy oecs). Even the sapphire stone appears darker in photographs the first picture (above bc PS is being weird and I can’t get the pics right) I’m posting is the true color.

ATTACH]807488[/ATTACH]

0161C648-4D43-466A-B6EA-4760E79727E8.jpeg 4E8539C5-EB03-45C5-A1C7-A46AC6777590.jpeg 0C8924E5-9F67-48A5-A486-2298E9CC17D5.jpeg 875DC9DA-2315-4477-BF6F-66712F37B2DD.jpeg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader I love it and was going to ask the other stone was a transitional cut-lovely!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results