Thoughts on this ruby?

Worth buying?

• Lovely! Grab it while you can.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm ok with the pinkish colour since it's not overly dark. I do see that it is super deep so the head might need to be custom? It is also fairly opaque (more translucent than transparent). You're ok with the black inclusions?

I'm ok with the pinkish colour since it's not overly dark. I do see that it is super deep so the head might need to be custom? It is also fairly opaque (more translucent than transparent).

Oh, forgot to mention! Jerry Newman did get back to me about a recut. He said it'd be a full recut in order to give it a bit more of a crown, shave off some of the pavillion, and get rid of the nicks on the girdle. He estimates I'd lose 8-12% of the weight but the face up size would only go down a hair.

What Jerry couldn't answer was whether it'd improve the stone's performance b/c of its inclusions.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Oh, forgot to mention! Jerry Newman did get back to me about a recut. He said it'd be a full recut in order to give it a bit more of a crown, shave off some of the pavillion, and get rid of the nicks on the girdle. He estimates I'd lose 8-12% of the weight but the face up size would only go down a hair.

What Jerry couldn't answer was whether it'd improve the stone's performance b/c of its inclusions.

Will the color become lighter after recut? Wouldn’t recut if that’s the case unless you are fine with a lighter color.

Will the color become lighter after recut? Wouldn’t recut if that’s the case unless you are fine with a lighter color.

Jerry said the color is unlikely to change at all because of the inclusions.

So really, I'd be paying an additional $250 so that it can fit in the setting I want, and it may look a tad nicer.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Jerry said the color is unlikely to change at all because of the inclusions.

So really, I'd be paying an additional $250 so that it can fit in the setting I want, and it may look a tad nicer.

Are you wanting a colored stone for sure? You mentioned also an old euro?

I guess I’m unfamiliar with your collection! I know about your purple pink sapphire and your bands. Need to try to dig and find them...

Ah, that's b/c I don't post mine much. I probably should do a family shot one day...

But right now I have my wedding set and the Van Craeynest set. And I maaaay have bought a little sister version of my holy grail ring (in my defense, I bought it months ago but shipping has been delayed! So it doesn't count as a recent buy!).

But anywho.... I'm assuming an 8mm OEC would cost even more than a ruby? :cry:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I don't care for the stone, being honest. A recut is always a risk. I don't know the cost of it, but if you want a colored stone to fit a setting made for a less deep diamond, your best bet is probably custom cut. Lab grown custom cut would be fairly budget friendly.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Ah, that's b/c I don't post mine much. I probably should do a family shot one day...

But right now I have my wedding set and the Van Craeynest set. And I maaaay have bought a little sister version of my holy grail ring (in my defense, I bought it months ago but shipping has been delayed! So it doesn't count as a recent buy!).

Probably so but again with these IG sellers you just never know. If you come just a hair under 2ct then maybe you can get a deal :) But I guess the difficulty you would face is how picky you would be about those side stones matching the center, too. Decisions decisions! But if I remember correctly the ruby is international, so it seems complicated if you want to return it...

I don't care for the stone, being honest. A recut is always a risk. I don't know the cost of it, but if you want a colored stone to fit a setting made for a less deep diamond, your best bet is probably custom cut. Lab grown custom cut would be fairly budget friendly.

Duuuuude. Gary from Finewater Gems just got back to me. It'd be about $250 for a lab ruby. Psh, forget this one then!:dance::dance::dance:

elizat

Ideal_Rock

A nice, 8 mm old euro is going to be not cheap. Now is really not the time to buy them either, if you can wait.

This is not the right size, but it is not that attractive to me, at least in the photo posted.

And it's almost $5500. Ivy and Rose have competitive prices as well.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Duuuuude. Gary from Finewater Gems just got back to me. It'd be about $250 for a lab ruby. Psh, forget this one then!:dance::dance::dance:

Good call. I am having a lab sapphire, likely, placed eventually, into a 10 plus carat omc bow brooch/pendant center. My center stone was removed and to me, hunting for a diamond to fit perfectly right now, made no sense.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your input! You guys have been so helpful. I've replied to the vendor that I'll be passing on this ruby. It's just too much money for a "maybe," even with a 30-day return policy. Gah, I was so close! :D

Wow. That's amazing.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Speaking of labs are we able to talk lab stones in Colored stones forum? I wasn’t sure where to post about a lab emerald I found. Bc the man made diamonds forum is diamonds....just wondered since sometimes I see things like “not allowed to talk about lab” which seems weird. Or the jewelry pieces forum that says no man made and no pearls. :confused:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of labs are we able to talk lab stones in Colored stones forum? I wasn’t sure where to post about a lab emerald I found. Bc the man made diamonds forum is diamonds....just wondered since sometimes I see things like “not allowed to talk about lab” which seems weird. Or the jewelry pieces forum that says no man made and no pearls. :confused:

There's a "pearl" subsection, and a "fashion jewelry" section where we are allowed to talk about lab gems.

voce

Ideal_Rock

An 8mm OEC would cost more than THIS ruby. An 8mm ruby with near perfect transparency and color would easily cost 8-10x what the one you're considering costs, which is probably more than what 8mm OEC diamond would cost.

An 8mm OEC would cost more than THIS ruby. An 8mm ruby with near perfect transparency and color would easily cost 8-10x what the one you're considering costs, which is probably more than what 8mm OEC diamond would cost.

Which is why this ruby seemed like such a great deal at first. I really love the color. True "pigeon blood red" is actually a little, IDK, aggressive-looking to me?

Anyways, I just wanted it to have some glow or sparkle. But Jerry's already said that even with a recut, it's probably not gonna perform any better.

And with international shipping/returns, just didn't seem worth all the trouble.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I always have to really be sure I love the stone before doing an international transaction above $100.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I'm just here waiting for more pictures, LOL! Can't wait to see!!! and yes you need to post a family shot @AnastasiaBeaverhausen !!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results