shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this oval?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Weelll, here's the update. I am a terrible PSer for getting this SO very wrong (please don't throw rotten eggs at me!). I had the numbers transposed in my mind. The stone is 2.84, not 4.28...big difference! Seen on it's own (i.e. not in comparison to another stone), I guess I didn't realize that it couldn't possibly be 4.28 carats. :oops:

Here's another shocker. It is GIA certified E, VS2 with measurements of 9.26x7.60x5.52mm. Table 40%, Depth 72% and has medium blue flour. Here's another photo of it:

oval2.jpg

Now that I realize that it isn't as large a stone as I thought it was, I am going to adopt it and give it a loving home!! :shock: The jeweler agreed to take my cushion in trade (in addition to writing me a check). I would still like to sell the Martin Flyer setting and work with someone well respected on PS to make a setting for the oval.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, wow and wow! What a deal! I'm assuming your check will more than buy a new setting. That stone really looks beautiful - you must be so excited!!

You need to start a new thread in SMTB so that everyone can drool over your new stone!!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MGR, I guess whether the check will cover the new setting or not depends on the setting, lol! I'm just kidding...yes, it should cover the new setting. I will post an SMTB thread as soon as I compile some thoughts on the setting. I definitely want some input as to how to highlight this gorgeous baby!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your initial thoughts? Solitaire, three stone, halo?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You know, I'm all over the lot. I think after all of my "escapades" (ahem), I'm terrified to commit to any kind of setting. I have seen some halo's that I love (I've even seen some 3 stone halo's that I think are pretty!), but I'm just not sure. I really like the idea of a 3 stone to signify my hubby and two kids, but I don't want to run into the same problem I had before, with a ring that was too large for my comfort. I want the oval to be the star no matter what I do....always open to suggestions! ;))

KMD

Rough_Rock
Darn!!!

I'm so jealous but so happy for you all at the same time!!! Where is your jeweler? Any chance he can fine her sister? I was actually looking more in the 2.5-3ct range and have a beautiful 2 ct antique cushion to trade in if he wants.

I am a very simple solitaire kind of girl but I love the oval with 1/2 moons!!!! That is my favorite oval setting.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your new stone! It's a beauty :love: I hope you get plenty for your setting, and that you feel it fits better with your lifestyle!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks KMD. I'll definitely ask him to call me if her sister should show up! ;))

Thanks Yssie! Do you have any suggestions for a setting/vendor? There's a setting on Singlestone that I really like and have sent them an email and I'm talking to Victor Canera. I don't know what the ettiquete is in terms of custom work with vendors. Do you usually speak with more than one to determine who you're most in line with in terms of style or do you work with one until you determine that s/he's not the one for you and then move on? I want to be as considerate as possible of these artists time, but want to make sure that I select the right vendor for me as well.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1306886978|2934898 said:
Thanks KMD. I'll definitely ask him to call me if her sister should show up! ;))

Thanks Yssie! Do you have any suggestions for a setting/vendor? There's a setting on Singlestone that I really like and have sent them an email and I'm talking to Victor Canera. I don't know what the ettiquete is in terms of custom work with vendors. Do you usually speak with more than one to determine who you're most in line with in terms of style or do you work with one until you determine that s/he's not the one for you and then move on? I want to be as considerate as possible of these artists time, but want to make sure that I select the right vendor for me as well.

Oh, I would definitely talk to them in detail about what you want, style, artistry - it's to their benefit not to blow you off as a waste of time - you'll have one of them do your setting afterall! And you'll remember good experiences for future projects, and - well, not to be crass, but people who have the money to spend on setting 2.8ct stones tend to also have money for other projects 8)

I'm probably not a great resource wrt to custom projects - I've only ever used WF and BGD for big projects and they're basically the same vendor! I think both Single Stone and Victor Canera could work magic with your stone, I can't wait to see what you come up with!! :love:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Yssie. I really don't want to offend anyone or break any unspoken rules of etiquette. I've never had any custom jewerly work done before, so I felt somewhat out of my depth. I appreciate the reassurance that it's OK to talk to a couple of vendors before I make a decision. I'm happily browsing a few sites, culling photos of settings I like.

Victor was super nice to make a to scale "diagram" of what my stone would look like in a halo and as a 3 stone, so that I can determine how large (approximately) each style would be on my finger. I explained to him that I want to make sure I don't make the same mistake twice and end up with a ring I'm not comfortable wearing on a daily basis. Updates to follow. :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yenny,beautiful stone!! :love: :appl:.. nice match for a hot looking red head... :naughty:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks DF! I haven't blushed in quite a few years. ;))

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yenny, your new oval is GORGEOUS! I just went through so many emotions reading this thread:
:love: After seeing the first picture of the oval
;( After reading that you aren't going to buy it
:bigsmile: After reading that KMD might buy it
:devil: After reading that it is 2.48 instead of 4.28 (maaaaybe KMD would no longer want it and I could buy it!)
:appl: After seeing that YOU traded in your ring for it!

I'm so happy for you and can't wait to see how you set it. Kaleigh's three-stone is drool-worthy, by the way.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LOL Haven, I felt a roller coast of emotions as I read your post! :lol: I too, am glad that I found this stone. I find myself daydreaming about who first owned it and why/how it left the family. I will keep looking for KMD. I love to browse, and helping someone else spend their money is even better than spending your own! :naughty:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just to ditto the previous posters... this definitely looks like an old cut oval and it's stunning!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG yennyfire! I about fell out of my chair when I read that you were taking it home! I'm so happy that it worked
out. Isnt it weird how things work out some times? Its like it was meant to be!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yenny, you crazy little minx :rodent: I love it.

so, since this is PS and about diamonds and prices and such, I am going to be crass and ask how you fared in the deal: Did you lose much in the trade? What was he asking for the oval?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tyty, DH about fell out of his chair when I told him what I did...then he just rolled his eyes and said "as long as you're happy...and it didn't cost us anything"....I'm a really lucky girl!

Dreamer, I am cackling like the little minx that I am. :lol: I fared pretty well in the deal. Since the oval is an E and my cushion was an I, it wasn't apples to apples, but I did some research online with PS vendors and think I did pretty well. Singlestone had a smaller (by .50) OEC that was a GIA J/VS2 that was a bit more than this oval. Since my cushion was quite a bit larger, I made enough to have the setting made and maybe pay for summer camp. ;)) While I would have made more if my ring had sold on JBEG, it could have been a year or more and th price would have been significantly reduced by then. I have been looking at antique stones for almost a year now (right after I got my cushion) so I realize how rare an antique oval is. I am over the moon that the stone was so much smaller than I thought it was...if it had been a 4+ carat, it wouldn't have happened, both for financial reasons and b/c it would have been larger than I wanted.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are a minx yenny - you didn't answer the question ;))

Your new stone is so different from the cushion - I'm wondering how you'll feel after you've had it for a few months! You and Haven have both made this same change - I'm already looking forward to that writeup ::)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yenny- I love that stone, and I think it looks right at home with you! So glad it was the right size and everything fell into place just the way it should. How wonderful to have such an amazing and unique diamond! just gorgeous sweets!

Boogins

Rough_Rock
Wow Yennyfire....I am so glad you bought the stone! It is really beautiful. I can't wait to see what you do with the setting! Congrats. :)

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Da-yam! That is one hot oval AND E VS2. :love: And this thread is definitely a rollarcoaster ride.

I'll put in a second vote for half-moon sides like Kaleigh's ring - although I'm not sure how that would look with the oval's old cut.

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock
Yenny, we must do lunch so I can see it! :))

pixies

Shiny_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl:
I'm glad you will finally get a ring that you will be comfortable wearing. You will have officially washed your hands clean of that dreadful last transaction!!!

The stone looks beautiful. I hope you give this baby the beautiful, antique-inspired setting it deserves :naughty: ! Get quotes from EVERYONE, enjoy the process, and just have fun with it.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Boogins! I do love it! Iota, I felt like this was a once in a lifetime stone. It was originally in a Van Cleef and Arpels setting (would have loved to have seen it!).

Anne, I would love to get together for lunch and see your gorgeous new-ish ring and get your opinion on a setting for the stone.

Thanks pixies...I like that this new ring won't have any components from the other vendor too...it is definitely a fresh start and I can tell you that this WILL BE my forever ring, so I am going to take my time and not be shy about asking for what I want or telling a vendor that I don't like "x" suggestion. I adore your ring and am definitely going to talk to JBEG!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yenny I am so glad you are getting it! it looks absolutely gorgeous :)

may I suggest a solitaire setting so as not to detract from that gorgeous stone? It would also be less 'blingy'.

but any way you set it...it will be stunning!!! so happy for you :) :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yenny, take my advice: simple solitaire. Don't spend very much money. Wear it and enjoy it and set it later on in a fancier setting *if* you think you need to.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That sounds like very sage advice dreamer. I may do that once I've toyed with the idea of other settings, though I do think a solitaire is the most prudent course of action.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1306946471|2935430 said:
That sounds like very sage advice dreamer. I may do that once I've toyed with the idea of other settings, though I do think a solitaire is the most prudent course of action.

Given that you have changed your mindi n the past, and you are concerned about your ring being too conspicuous, I really think it is the safest option. You can get a very nice solitaire, even one with a fancier basket, for under $1000, even around $500 depending on how simple you go. Then you can actually *wear* your ring ;)) and get to know how you feel about it and how it matches your lifestyle.

But the active thing here is to *wear* your ring, lady. No letting it sit in a box.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results