shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this OMC....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
Sorry to ask for so much help on this, but I really just like to get the general consensus on how a stone looks!

This OMC fits in my budget a lot better than the OEC I posted. And, I may prefer the look of OMCs over OECs, I can''t decide yet.

1.24carat
H
I1
6.34*6.27*4.4
EGLUSA
Depth 69.7
Table 56

Adam from OWD says that the inclusion is white/gray, and gets hidden well when viewing with the naked eye. I think it''s really pretty...but then again, aren''t they all, in a way?
2.gif

OWD-OM-124-H-I1.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Fox,

Is the culet off center, or is it just the picture angle?

You''re right, in that they are all pretty in a way. I''ll be honest though, it''s not the prettiest I''ve seen, nor the worst. However, it really doesn''t matter what any of us think really, it''s if you like it! If you''re not in a big hurry, you could look around some more and see if anything else strikes your fancy. I understand working on a budget, but I tend to dissuade people from getting a certain stone just because it''s in their budget, yanno? I want people to look at something and go, that''s the one!
2.gif

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input! The culet isn''t off center--it is the camera angle, the stone appears quite symmetrical in the other picture I have of it.

I am willing to wait a bit and shop it out, and I wouldn''t get a stone just because of my budget (I''d even go slightly outside of it for the best stone). But, I thought this was very pretty...especially for an OMC (just because so many of them seem irregular).

I''ll keep looking, and I welcome more commentary/recs!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 2:51:43 PM
Author: Fox2009
Thanks for the input! The culet isn't off center--it is the camera angle, the stone appears quite symmetrical in the other picture I have of it.

I am willing to wait a bit and shop it out, and I wouldn't get a stone just because of my budget (I'd even go slightly outside of it for the best stone). But, I thought this was very pretty...especially for an OMC (just because so many of them seem irregular).

I'll keep looking, and I welcome more commentary/recs!
Do you mean out of round/somewhat squarish? If so, they are actually an old cushion cut, so that's not really unusual, if that's what you meant. But our tastes are all personal! And if you find this one pretty, then I wouldn't care what others thought, I'd just get it. I just gave my opinion because I thought that's what you wanted.
1.gif

At any rate, this is my OMC, and what I think of (shape/high crown/tiny table) when I hear that. (you can't tell it's not round really irl) Good luck in your search!

OMC3965.JPG

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
Wow, that is a great ring! What are the specs on that OMC?

I''m really glad to hear what you think! What you said is kind of what I figured--not the most stunning stone, but, not the worst. And yeah, some of them do seem "irregular" in that they have kind of an off-center culet. I prefer more symmetry for the culet, regardless of what the shape or cut is, but, a lot of stones that aren''t super symmetrical are really pretty. It''s just so hard to tell with the antique cuts, I am finding!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 3:21:10 PM
Author: Fox2009

Wow, that is a great ring! What are the specs on that OMC?

I'm really glad to hear what you think! What you said is kind of what I figured--not the most stunning stone, but, not the worst. And yeah, some of them do seem 'irregular' in that they have kind of an off-center culet. I prefer more symmetry for the culet, regardless of what the shape or cut is, but, a lot of stones that aren't super symmetrical are really pretty. It's just so hard to tell with the antique cuts, I am finding!!
Yes, I would think it would be really hard to shop for one of these online! Have you tried hitting up any antique shops around you? Pawn shops? Just a thought...

And thanks! I really do wish I could give you the specs on this, but I don't have any. I inherited it early from my mom, and have never had it appraised. Mostly because it really doesn't matter what it ends up being, I'd love it anyway. And I don't insure it, because I couldn't replace it. I would like to know just for curiosity sake, but there always seems to be other things I could do with 100+ bucks!

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
How lucky you are to inherit something like that! That would be more valuable than any appraisal could estimate:)

I''m gonna meet with my "diamond guy" a couple hours away next week and see what sorts of antique cuts he can dig up (he buys them for re-cutting, because he doesn''t like them "as-is"). So, that will give me some guidance. But, OWD has a great selection so I want to keep my eyes open on all fronts...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results