shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this light yellow transitional-early ideal

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Well, I've been on the lookout for another OEC or transitional stone to copy a beautiful deco man's ring that sold at auction some time ago, and then I happened on this stone and couldn't stop thinking about it! More early ideal on the continuum than I thought I'd like . . . very striking.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated:

2.60 EGL Q/R SI1
8.71 x 8.66 x 5.54 mm
Table: 54.7%
Depth: 63.8%
Crown Depth: 15.8%
CA: 34.1°
Pavilion Depth: 43.4%
PA: 41.2°
Girdle: EX. THIN TO VERY THICK

deco_sunny.jpg

16321409_1_x.jpg

sunny_deco_2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it. I would like it to have a culet, but it's the type of cut that would really pop in a bezel. The contrast patterning would be great.

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Yes, it would be nice if it had a culet. But the color is so beautiful!

I have to say that if it hadn't been for your many interesting comments on lgf's, cut and performance, obstruction, etc., etc., I might not have noticed this one.

How does bezel setting effect the appearance? Oh I see, increased contrast. . .

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It diamonds like this that are similar to MRBs but are not ideal cuts, I think the enclosed mount can obscure leakage a little too. And it makes the darks darker. My own diamond did not look nearly so impressive loose -- the patterning was not as apparent. That's not the case with all old cuts. Some really need an open mount to perform best and the centre will really black out in an enclosed mount. But I don't thin that will happen with this one. I think it will really come alive in a bezel. A way to judge that is to hold the stone in a pronged stone holder then wrap the stone/holder with tinfoil! Then you can see what you think of it.

As you know, this stone is very similar in make to my own diamond. This one is a little deeper and the table a little bigger. I think iet maaaaay have a bit to much darkness at some angles because of those slight differences, you can see it a bit in the second image of the stone that you posted. It would need to be evaluated in person to know for sure. But, the optical symmetry of the cut is great. If it is a true antique -- and the girdle may be the best indicator of that -- and not just a modern cut with short lgf, then it's a pretty special stone because to cut such a perfectly symmetrical facet pattern by hand and without computer assisted design would require a true master cutter. That is one of the things I appreciate about my diamond. It is not as full of character as other styles of old cut, but as a cut aficionado I truly appreciate the mastery it took to cut such a precisely proportioned stone prior to modern advances.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and I'm really glad my posts helped you to appreciate these types of cuts!

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I think this is one reason that I find this one particularly intriguing; that it could be cut with such apparent precision without all of the technology we have today. Amazing to me too that such seemingly minute variations in angles and percentages have such significant effects on the cut "flavor". The other thing that I like about it is the apparently sunny color (I haven't seen it in person).

Hmm, from the other photographs I've seen, it doesn't seem to have any issues with dark areas, but if I end up buying this I will be sure to post lots of photos!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! Only thing is it is more MRB to me. I bet it just has that depth due to the thick girdle.

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer, you make a point that I think is germane to men's settings. I know that I wouldn't be comfortable wearing anything that was set high or open because it would somehow seem too feminine. I like the low set octagonal design that I am currently working on (inspired by George!) and I love the plain bezel of this one.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice looking diamond but the patterning looks much closer to MRB than transitional.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it. GOG can add a culet for you (of course you'd have to re-grade).

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this one. I have to say that I wasn't prepared for the liveliness of the stone. It is very difficult to photograph. It has great contrast and sparkle but still retains some of the colorful blockiness because the lgfs appear to be around 65%.
I had originally planned in finding a yellowish OEC for this ring but I was so struck by the dynamic look if this stone. I purchased this from Erica D. Here are some more images. These were taken with my iPhone.

_18595.jpg

_18596.jpg

_18597.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you found a beauty, many congratulations!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It sure is a beauty, congrats! Yeah perhaps closer to an MRB but I think it will still fit nicely in the gorgeous setting you picked.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I like it alot! My only concern is I think the EGL coloring is off. It looks very similar to my U/V that I used to own. If color doesn't bother you though, then I think it is fantastic.

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
I like the color. Erica thought it was probably more a GIA S-T. I was hoping it would appear even more yellow but the range if color it exhibits is interesting. In overcast light it looks quite lemony and in office overhead lighting it looks more ivory. I am thinking of using "green" gold for the setting and lighter blue stones or substitute a contrasting field of white metal instead if stones.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
bluelotus|1401112333|3680297 said:
I like the color. Erica thought it was probably more a GIA S-T. I was hoping it would appear even more yellow but the range if color it exhibits is interesting. In overcast light it looks quite lemony and in office overhead lighting it looks more ivory. I am thinking of using "green" gold for the setting and lighter blue stones or substitute a contrasting field of white metal instead if stones.

I think you might need to see the green gold to make sure you like it next to the diamond. The hue might really throw it off. Are you going for something that is more wearable art vs. classic I'm assuming? Do you have design inspiration? if so I would love to see pictures!

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
I think the lemony color of the stone might look good with a colder yellow color. Let's see. . .
In the meantime another shot I just took:

_18641.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I meant to say I love the look of this stone! Sure, it's closer to an MRB than an OEC, but it is still old and cut before modern techniques were developed. I am in awe of the old masters who could crate such precision and symmetric patterning by eye! And I know from experience how lovely and unique these early ideal cuts look in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results