shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this lab oval?

makb1029

Rough_Rock
Hello, I recently put a diamond on hold and was wondering your opinion. I seem to be getting mixed reviews so please don't roast me too harshly lol.

Here are the stats:

Lab oval

1.56 carats, E, VS-1

9.37 x 6.79 x 4.11 mm

Polish: EX

Symmetry: EX

Fluor: None

Table: 59.5%

Total depth: 60.5%

Cutlet: pointed

Girdle: thin to medium faceted

Price: after I use a gift card, $2160 (normally $4160).

Link: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.56-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-9044492

Sadly I have to use JA because of the gift card and this is the only lab oval I have seen that looks decent in my price range.

I was wondering what you thought of it, mainly if it would be sparkly. Also, I noticed it seems to face up kinda bigger. Is the cut still ok? Thank you very much.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This forum is for Earth mined diamonds. I've asked that your thread be moved to the lab created forum here...

I'll comment once it gets moved!

makb1029

Rough_Rock
This forum is for Earth mined diamonds. I've asked that your thread be moved to the lab created forum here...

I'll comment once it gets moved!

hi sorry, it looks like it got moved!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an expert...

... but I think it's pretty good for a 'classic' oval, and an MMD.

No obvious Stria issues in the material and the clarity / 'crispness' looks good to my eyes :)

Faceting is pretty chunky and the middle/ends work pretty well. No obvious Bow-tie issues. A bit of 'windowing' when tilted / rotated (goes see-through) but many ovals do that.

How do you feel about it? :)

Do JA have a Returns policy for MMDs?

makb1029

Rough_Rock
Not an expert...

... but I think it's pretty good for a 'classic' oval, and an MMD.

No obvious Stria issues in the material and the clarity / 'crispness' looks good to my eyes :)

Faceting is pretty chunky and the middle/ends work pretty well. No obvious Bow-tie issues. A bit of 'windowing' when tilted / rotated (goes see-through) but many ovals do that.

How do you feel about it? :)

Do JA have a Returns policy for MMDs?

Thanks! I personally really love it but I dont know a ton about diamonds. So I didnt want to get my hopes up. When you say chunky faceting, is that a good thing?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I personally really love it but I dont know a ton about diamonds. So I didnt want to get my hopes up. When you say chunky faceting, is that a good thing?

Chunky vs 'splintery' faceting is just personal taste :)

In rounds, Old European Cuts (OECs) and Old Mine Cuts (OMCs) have fewer facets and therefore 'chunky' faceting. At the other end of the spectrum, there are rounds with 99? 130? facets - and as they must be smaller to fit on the same size stone, they are a bit like 'splinters' of facets, if that makes sense :p

Chunky faceting will give slower, larger flashes and (IIRC) more coloured 'fire' (dispersion). Splintery faceting will give more sparkle (because more facets for light to bounce off) but probably less coloured 'fire'.

If you want a side-by-side example, check out Distinctive Gems - Rhino on here runs it and has an Oval cut for max light performance with 'middle ground' faceting, but he also sells a 'vintage' look oval with larger facets :)

In terms of classic ovals, though, 'crisp' and well-defined faceting is usually (on here, anyway ;-) ) preferred to 'mush' or 'crushed ice' effects, where it's hard to distinguish one facet from the other and contrast is low (so not much dark obstruction or bright white light return).

makb1029

Rough_Rock
Chunky vs 'splintery' faceting is just personal taste :)

In rounds, Old European Cuts (OECs) and Old Mine Cuts (OMCs) have fewer facets and therefore 'chunky' faceting. At the other end of the spectrum, there are rounds with 99? 130? facets - and as they must be smaller to fit on the same size stone, they are a bit like 'splinters' of facets, if that makes sense :p

Chunky faceting will give slower, larger flashes and (IIRC) more coloured 'fire' (dispersion). Splintery faceting will give more sparkle (because more facets for light to bounce off) but probably less coloured 'fire'.

If you want a side-by-side example, check out Distinctive Gems - Rhino on here runs it and has an Oval cut for max light performance with 'middle ground' faceting, but he also sells a 'vintage' look oval with larger facets :)

In terms of classic ovals, though, 'crisp' and well-defined faceting is usually (on here, anyway ;-) ) preferred to 'mush' or 'crushed ice' effects, where it's hard to distinguish one facet from the other and contrast is low (so not much dark obstruction or bright white light return).

Thank you so much!!!! Do you think this is a 4, 6, or 8 facet pattern?? I think 6 or 8 but im not sure

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much!!!! Do you think this is a 4, 6, or 8 facet pattern?? I think 6 or 8 but im not sure

I"m not sure either TBH - the 'x-main' stones usually have a very obvious pattern to them, whereas this seems less organised!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results