shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this "Jedi" spinel I'm tempted to buy?

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Hi! Longtime lurker, and this is my first post! :)

I've been obsessed with finding a jedi spinel that fits my budget: less than $500. The ones I see on Instagram and Etsy run well into the thousands and I can't afford them, but they are exquisite!

One of the sellers I regularly buy from (purchased a violet sapphire from them just recently) has offered me this "jedi" spinel at $450.

IMG_9577.jpg 1623242130754.png
The colour isn't as shockingly bright as one would hope from a jedi spinel. The fluorescence also seems a little weak.

But at $450, compared to the $1k++ price tags I've seen, is it decent enough? Would it be a good deal? Or am I better off saving the $450 for something else?

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks in advance! :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful red spinel but jedi it is not.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The UV reaction can be seemingly weak due to the background. Black background might display a stronger glow.
I think it might still be a bit too dark in red (with some purple) for Jedi.
How is the clarity btw?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a jedi spinel. Not neon bright enough, and the uv reaction is too weak. If you really want a jedi spinel then you'll need to save more $$

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ps. For about 1200-1500 you can likely get something small that's a true jedi color. Cheaper maybe if you are ok with inclusions. So the $450 you save from this will help!

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
The UV reaction can be seemingly weak due to the background. Black background might display a stronger glow.
I think it might still be a bit too dark in red (with some purple) for Jedi.
How is the clarity btw?

You've a point, the real "Jedi" spinels I've seen are just shockingly neon. This one seems a little dark. :( Re: clarity, I'll have to ask the seller tomorrow. I think it might've cost a little less if it wasn't "certified" as a Jedi...

voce

Ideal_Rock
You've a point, the real "Jedi" spinels I've seen are just shockingly neon. This one seems a little dark. :( Re: clarity, I'll have to ask the seller tomorrow. I think it might've cost a little less if it wasn't "certified" as a Jedi...

That certification counts for nothing. That gem lab is a new business that isn't a well-regarded one such as Gubellin, GRS, AGL, GIA, Lotus, AIGS, Nanyang. So the lab will likely put whatever the vendor wants on the report.

Edit: it is a nice red spinel, but the $450 is because it's only 0.63ct, and considering the sub-carat size, it's no great bargain.

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Not a jedi spinel. Not neon bright enough, and the uv reaction is too weak. If you really want a jedi spinel then you'll need to save more $$

Thanks for the input :) Yes, suppose that's the case. It's just that forex here is expensive as it is, so saving up to $1500 is going to take forever! $450 is already a lot in our local currency. :/
Agree on the weak UV reaction, especially when I compare it to this peach-pink spinel I recently bought—it fluoresces more strongly than this "Jedi".

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
That certification counts for nothing. That gem lab is a new business that isn't a well-regarded one such as Gubellin, GRS, AGL, GIA, Lotus, AIGS, Nanyang. So the lab will likely put whatever the vendor wants on the report.

Edit: it is a nice red spinel, but the $450 is because it's only 0.63ct, and considering the sub-carat size, it's no great bargain.

Mm, I did try to do a search on the lab but nothing really came up. Thanks for input on the price. Suppose I'll pass over this one then. :D

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the input :) Yes, suppose that's the case. It's just that forex here is expensive as it is, so saving up to $1500 is going to take forever! $450 is already a lot in our local currency. :/
Agree on the weak UV reaction, especially when I compare it to this peach-pink spinel I recently bought—it fluoresces more strongly than this "Jedi".

I know it is hard to save, but theres no point trying to get a 'jedi' when its clearly not one. Can I ask where you are located?

M

maru8888777

I'm a big fan of their posts on IG! Unfortunately, their spinels are going for $1300-5500. Not surprised though as they're incredible :D

I've had good luck telling them what I can afford and them finding something. But check with HiGems since those two seem lovely!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I wish the term "Jedi" never existed. It was originally monikered by gemologist, Vincent Pardieu for glowing red Namya Spinel, but now has become a trade name to sale any decent (even some not so decent) red spinel for a higher price.

Buy what you like & what you can afford. Forget about trades names designed to suck the buyer in. In the end, as long as you are happy, that is all that counts. =)2

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I wish the term "Jedi" never existed. It was originally monikered by gemologist, Vincent Pardieu for glowing red Namya Spinel, but now has become a trade name to sale any decent (even some not so decent) red spinel for a higher price.

Buy what you like & what you can afford. Forget about trades names designed to suck the buyer in. In the end, as long as you are happy, that is all that counts. =)2

Kind of reminds me of the moniker “pigeon blood” which is loosely used to describe red color in rubies.

Many of the above spinels are more pink to me, then a true red.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Budgets are a reality.

If you are firmly at $450, I do think it’s a very pretty spinel. If you *can* wait and save and have your heart set on a Jedi, others have given you good advice.

It doesn’t need to be Jedi to be nice. You know your finances best. I’d love an unheated 1 carat ruby, but will likely never afford one so will have to make concessions.

Do what’s right for you!

M

maru8888777

This is over budget, but she has sales on occasion (20% off... right now she has a pretty cab, but over budget), so you could wait on that. This one is not quite "jedi" (whatever that means), but neon nonetheless:

I do think the spinel you have there is quite beautiful, so if you like it, go for it! It's not reactive enough under UV, but if this is for a piece of jewelry that you will enjoy, then the labels, as stated above, are less important.

I'd also recommend emailing https://www.mays.com.au/ in Australia. They don't put up most of their stuff online, and sometimes they have great things at lower prices and are reliable.

The Gem Collector on IG also got some great ones recently, and she's great to work with: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPGQXhcB634/

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kind of reminds me of the moniker “pigeon blood” which is loosely used to describe red color in rubies.

Many of the above spinels are more pink to me, then a true red.

Yeah, not one of the spinels in this thread looks red to me. They're all pink. I have definitely noticed terminology drift over the past several years, so that thinks that would have been classified as hot pink a few years ago are now called red. I have to buy "red" spinels to get ones that match my set of hot pink ones. And I have no fking clue what color I would describe my actually-red spinel as. There's probably some other term I don't know about.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, not one of the spinels in this thread looks red to me. They're all pink. I have definitely noticed terminology drift over the past several years, so that thinks that would have been classified as hot pink a few years ago are now called red. I have to buy "red" spinels to get ones that match my set of hot pink ones. And I have no fking clue what color I would describe my actually-red spinel as. There's probably some other term I don't know about.

Just call it a flame spinel! Anything remotely red that’s not called Jedi is a flame now!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Just call it a flame spinel! Anything remotely red that’s not called Jedi is a flame now!

Untrue. Flame spinel needs to have secondary orange, not pink or purple.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Untrue. Flame spinel needs to have secondary orange, not pink or purple.

The one I have does! It is red-orange because red-purple looks blah to me and I personally do not accept it as red. :lol:

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I totally get the obsession with these “Jedi” spinel it bit me hard too.

I purchased a red neon spinel from Mays as I am in Melbourne Australia abs was able to see it in last year. It was about .8 and was probably about 850USD.

I have picked up a few smaller ones as well cheaper one has a small line through it which made it affordable.

I managed to snaffle a Namya (very tiny .3) that’s colour is amazingly neon but more pink DanielM is currently setting it.

All the sellers listed above often have amazing spinels worth checking with them all.

While I was obsessed with finding “Jedi” spinels it’s worth looking for Neon spinels too. Anything from Namya carries a huge price bump as does anything from Mansin

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results