Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this fancy vivid yellow?

Rrolack

Rough_Rock
I'm on a search for a fancy intense or fancy vivid yellow cushion, which would be set in a ring. In looking at rings a few weeks ago, 2.5 ct seemed like a nice size on my wife's finger (size 4).

After looking online a bit, I came across this stone:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/fancy-color/yellow/cushion-cut/2.33-carat-vvs2-clarity-sku-288418

At least to my eye, the color on this one looks really nice. Though the diamond looks like it darkens somewhat when viewed head-on; I'm not sure if that's typical of cushions, or an issue with the particular stone.

Any thoughts on this one?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks pretty good, but I honestly prefer fancy yellow (or even fancy light yellow) over fancy vivid, and it might save some money, too. I would not pay $69k for that stone. It is only 7.4mm. Have you looked at Leibish?

PiratePete

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1459997606|4016443 said:
It looks pretty good, but I honestly prefer fancy yellow (or even fancy light yellow) over fancy vivid, and it might save some money, too. I would not pay $69k for that stone. It is only 7.4mm. Have you looked at Leibish?
I know almost nothing about colored gems. Just a quick search this one doesn't look too bad for the price difference. IF and almost 2 ct higher. Different color and shape though.

http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamonds/fancy-intense-yellow-radiant-24766

Snowdrop13

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In speaking to many people, it's clear to me that there's quite a few that do prefer the lighter yellow tones.
But – fancy vivid yellow is a special case.
I would compare it to someone who wants a Porsche. They could buy a car that's just as fast for less money, but it just wouldn't be exactly the same.
Although the term "canary" is used for many diamonds – there are those who would argue that the only true canary is a fancy vivid yellow.
So it really depends more on the individual, and what they love.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For FCDs, colour is King so going for a fancy vivid is comparable to someone wanting a super ideal cut diamond. To suggest going for a fancy yellow over a vivid yellow is akin to suggesting a Good cut over an Ideal cut.

aftereffects15

Rough_Rock

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1460049622|4016618 said:
For FCDs, colour is King so going for a fancy vivid is comparable to someone wanting a super ideal cut diamond. To suggest going for a fancy yellow over a vivid yellow is akin to suggesting a Good cut over an Ideal cut.

... unless you (regardless of price) actually prefer the Fancy Yellow.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.