shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this F with med blue fluorescence?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It looks very good. I expect the very best from fluorescence in colourless & the level is a subtle middle ground; 'Very Strong' is nearly always there, 'Medium' is something to look for in particular light & such [indirect daylight, not strong enogh to drown the faint blue emission]

HCA agrees that the proportions work [it'd better! - since the stone looks as it does]

2c

Last edited:

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
SmartSelect_20200111-194823_Dropbox.jpg

This is all I have.. BN doesn't provide any additional pictures.....I have it on hold, but we do have to wait to hear confirmation from the vault that no one else has purchased it.

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
It seems the diamond is available for me as BN has given me my total, and I just have to call in...

I previously used proportions for my search that I found online to be the "ideal" diamond proportions... I requested assistance from a diamond expert online and he recommends slightly different proportions... so this diamond has a table of 58%, and a depth of 60.6 (both of which arent in the ideal diamond proportions I was originally searching for)

I know the diamond looks great, but are the proportions of this diamond really good? I'd rather not return another diamond... and I will never be able to upgrade again (thanks to BN's spend double upgrade policy).....

Thank you for your opinions! @AV_ @Garry H (Cut Nut) @Karl_K @sledge @distracts @ringo865

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
To some extent, the cutoff at 57 is a rule of thumb.

If you would rather upgrade, Blue Nile may simply not be the right place.

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
To some extent, the cutoff at 57 is a rule of thumb.

If you would rather upgrade, Blue Nile may simply not be the right place.

Im stuck with Blue Nile now... I bougth my first diamond from them exactly two years ago, and traded that in for my 1.05 H VS2 (which arrived on Dec 27th, and I just mailed that back yesterday)......

Is there any way to get my money back at this point so I can go to a different online retailer?

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Not that I've heard of.

KLE

Shiny_Rock
I actually am doing this now. The reason is the same - upgrade policy for the future. It wasn’t BN but another retailer and, to their credit, they held onto my old diamond and they are returning it to me so I can go with one of the better upgrade policies. I’m taking a bit of a $ hit by trading it in with someone else, but not as much as I would later on a more expensive diamond.
I suspect this isn’t common, but it doesn’t hurt to ask if you can just cancel the entire upgrade and get your original diamond back.

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
I actually am doing this now. The reason is the same - upgrade policy for the future. It wasn’t BN but another retailer and, to their credit, they held onto my old diamond and they are returning it to me so I can go with one of the better upgrade policies. I’m taking a bit of a $ hit by trading it in with someone else, but not as much as I would later on a more expensive diamond.
I suspect this isn’t common, but it doesn’t hurt to ask if you can just cancel the entire upgrade and get your original diamond back.

I never even thought about doing this..... will you trade it in with another online dealer or something local? I noticed my old diamond was back available for sale, priced at higher then I paid for it, and today I took a peek at it, and its sold, or pending sale, for LESS then I paid for it!!

To be completely honest, as much as I wanted a 1 + carat diamond... I wish I hadnt started the upgrade process......

KLE

Shiny_Rock
I never even thought about doing this..... will you trade it in with another online dealer or something local? I noticed my old diamond was back available for sale, priced at higher then I paid for it, and today I took a peek at it, and its sold, or pending sale, for LESS then I paid for it!!

To be completely honest, as much as I wanted a 1 + carat diamond... I wish I hadnt started the upgrade process......

I’m working with HP diamonds now, like others have mentioned, you can’t beat their upgrade policy! I am actually waiting for my original diamond to ship back to me (today) and then I can start the process and ship it to them. Before coming on PS I had no idea other dealers would take a non branded stone in on trade and thought I only had one option. Yes it’s less than I got trading in where I originally purchased, but there’s no way I’d pay 2x to upgrade again and I know I’m not finished upgrading yet!

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
I’m working with HP diamonds now, like others have mentioned, you can’t beat their upgrade policy! I am actually waiting for my original diamond to ship back to me (today) and then I can start the process and ship it to them. Before coming on PS I had no idea other dealers would take a non branded stone in on trade and thought I only had one option. Yes it’s less than I got trading in where I originally purchased, but there’s no way I’d pay 2x to upgrade again and I know I’m not finished upgrading yet!

Im so jealous!!! I wish I had of thought of this before it was too late..... I really want a diamond where I have all the scope images... not to mention I have had the worst time trying to find "ideal" cut diamonds on bluenile within my budget.

Will you lose alot?

KLE

Shiny_Rock
Im so jealous!!! I wish I had of thought of this before it was too late..... I really want a diamond where I have all the scope images... not to mention I have had the worst time trying to find "ideal" cut diamonds on bluenile within my budget.

Will you lose alot?

Getting around 80% of the price I paid, so really not bad from what I understand! I had them run my new upgrade diamond to see if I could just do it in the future and it was a gut punch how much I’d lose. It was the right decision for me in this case!

KLE

Shiny_Rock
Getting around 80% of the price I paid, so really not bad from what I understand! I had them run my new upgrade diamond to see if I could just do it in the future and it was a gut punch how much I’d lose. It was the right decision for me in this case!

I want to add that you CAN find great diamonds there that the people here have pointed out, my other diamond was amazing actually. It was exclusively about the upgrade policy.

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock

80% isnt bad.. my original diamond was $3221 CDN, and losing 20% wouldnt have been a terrible trade to go with an online retailer who has the ASET and IS images,,,,,,,

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Krista Williams the diamond is gorgeous, 58 table is NOT large, a diamond with similar specs will cost over $10k from one of the “super-ideal” vendors, so please don’t regret not pursuing that venue.

P.S. this comes from someone who owns and has owned multiple super ideal diamonds. They come with a hefty premium which isn’t always worth it.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry, I must have missed something?
There is a rule that you can not buy a diamond with a 58% table????????????
AGS ideal extends into 61 to 62% table ranges.
Who is nuts here?
Are we being elitists?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
so this diamond has a table of 58%, and a depth of 60.6 (both of which arent in the ideal diamond proportions I was originally searching for)

I know the diamond looks great, but are the proportions of this diamond really good?
If the diamond looks great the proportions ARE great.
If the proportions are great it does not mean the diamond will be great.

In this case - looking at the depth - I hope no one told you 60.6% is bad?
As for the table - it has the least impact on diamond beauty - the order is Pavilion #1`, then crown which must be taken relative to the pavilion. i.e. is 40.75P and 34.5C are 'perfect' then 40.25 pavilion needs a crown angle of around 5 times the 0.5 degrees = 34.5 + 2.5 = 37 degrees.
There are other factors that play out in this extreme example, but anyone who tells you 58% is too big for a table on a 1ct stone is @#$%^&*.
On a 20ct round diamond i would maybe prefer a <56% table, and on a 0.30ct 58-62% could work nicely.

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
Now that the order has been put in, I just got really worried about the table and depth. When I was on the search for my first BN diamond two years ago and then now I have only ever found the following as ideal proportions.
Screenshot_20200115-173033_Chrome.jpg

One person told me different proportions, and I found the F VVS2......... but I don't see anything about those.....

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that the order has been put in, I just got really worried about the table and depth. When I was on the search for my first BN diamond two years ago and then now I have only ever found the following as ideal proportions.
Screenshot_20200115-173033_Chrome.jpg

One person told me different proportions, and I found the F VVS2......... but I don't see anything about those.....

PS-recommended proportions are as follows:

Table 54-59%
Depth 60-62.4%
Crown Angle 34-35 degrees (up to 35.5 or maybe even 36 degrees with shall (40.6 degree) pavilion, but additional checks are needed)
Pavilion 40.6-40.9 degrees

When crown angle increases, pavilion angle should decrease, as Garry has mentioned - so 35 crown with 40.6 pavilion, but 34 crown with 40.9 pavilion, etc.

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
PS-recommended proportions are as follows:

Table 54-59%
Depth 60-62.4%
Crown Angle 34-35 degrees (up to 35.5 or maybe even 36 degrees with shall (40.6 degree) pavilion, but additional checks are needed)
Pavilion 40.6-40.9 degrees

When crown angle increases, pavilion angle should decrease, as Garry has mentioned - so 35 crown with 40.6 pavilion, but 34 crown with 40.9 pavilion, etc.

Who determined that list OS?
What is wrong with 33 41.1 54-59?

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
I actually didn't look for diamond proportions on pricescope, but now I did..... I think this is why OS found the info ..
20200115_195615.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
These 2 videos made with DiamCalc will show what I mean by the 5:1 Crown : Pavilion angle relationship and that you can achieve great beauty (and often save money) across a range of proportions that is greater than the PS 'rules'.
Now these will not all be supa dupa sweetest spot diamond, but for the non elitiests on budgets - if they start with this and buy a diamond in the top 95% for beauty, then many will learn by comparison with friends and family diamonds that CUT is KING (or Queen).
One set of proportions are a little shallower - and in my experiance work for all but the short sighted.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who determined that list OS?
What is wrong with 33 41.1 54-59?

You ask a good question, sir ;-) :D

As Krista has posted (good find!) they are the parameters I've seen referenced most often round here - sometimes with a slightly narrower range for crown (e.g. 34-35 only) and table (e.g. 54-58 only).

I am perhaps being too 'firm' in my use of words that could imply they are the PS-recommended parameters, so the need for future adjustments duly noted ;-) :))

My understanding is that they are a range that most of the SuperIdeal stones tend to stick within, and which perform well on ASET (when cut with decent accuracy), hence the general recommendation to stick within them, but I totally accept that 'low' crowns (33) and larger tables (59-60) would be expected and work well in 60/60s, for example.

re: pavilion angles >40.9, I am perhaps labouring under the illusion that leakage can start to present itself and therefore potentially be an issue, but then I guess it is correct to say it is not an issue (or less of an issue) if the crown angle is complementary? I recall recent posts by Serg with what could be considered 'steep/deep' combos that risk 'ring of leakage' head-on in ASET but then perform nicely at tilt angles - I think it could be worth exploring the ranges of acceptable crown/pavilion angles (and their combinations) in an educational thread or one of the learning topics (if it has not already been done) as it would certainly help me! :)

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
I really wish I could get my hands on ASET and IS images for both the H VS2 that I just sent back AND the F VVS2 with blue fluor....

I am trying to find info about the fire from a diamond with 80% lgf, I really did love the fire from the H VS2, ... is it going to be just as beautiful on the F VVS2?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really wish I could get my hands on ASET and IS images for both the H VS2 that I just sent back AND the F VVS2 with blue fluor....

I am trying to find info about the fire from a diamond with 80% lgf, I really did love the fire from the H VS2, ... is it going to be just as beautiful on the F VVS2?
Fire is not dependent on one variable only (e.g. LGFs) - you need to consider the other variables as well - table size, crown height, pavilion angle, total depth...

I think what you are expressing is the same frustration that many of us feel - how do we know we are getting a good diamond when we have seen so few?

It would be great if we could see a range of diamonds with different combinations of the different variables, to work out what we prefer, but it simply won't happen until/unless MMD become cheap enough that vendors can commission a 'sample set' of different options and then order custom cuts direct from the cutters. :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results