shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this estate Ceylon sapphire?

Barbarajoy

Rough_Rock
I am enchanted with an 1800’s Ceylon sapphire. It was sent to GIA and appraised. She is asking $12,000 but not sure if that’s too high for a treated Ceylon sapphire. Any advice would be appreciated. 0CEBA27A-7F2F-49FC-8310-18DDAF46141A.jpeg

Attachments

• E3DB0C05-E6B8-43CB-B09B-D8F2247AACA0.jpeg
    E3DB0C05-E6B8-43CB-B09B-D8F2247AACA0.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 87828298-1305-4657-9DED-CAD0D90B7325.jpeg
    87828298-1305-4657-9DED-CAD0D90B7325.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 77

Barbarajoy

Rough_Rock
Thank you. I thought so but this is very new to me

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's extremely overpriced IMHO. No way I'd personally pay that much

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were well cut and a perfect hue and you loved the ring and if it were a genuine antique, you could consider for that price, imo. I think that tilted-view photo has had the saturation boosted -- and it is a weird angle to showcase a colored stone so I am a little dubious of the appearance. You would need face-on reliable photos. There are almost no marquise sapphires, at least that I can recall seeing -- especially that narrow. That could be a plus if you crave that shape but not for me; hard to capitalize on a top color, I would think. That appraisal does not inspire confidence, imo.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
EDIT: That appraisal photo, while not reliable, seems to show no color in the points.

The GIA photo shows very dark points. But yeah, something funky going on.

It’s a gorgeous and unique ring. But a 2ct heated sapphire isn’t that expensive. What, 2-3K depending on the quality? Setting worth maybe 3-4 at most from a fancy maker. Even with antique cache we aren’t hitting the 12k mark. And the quality of the sapphire is suspect.

Last edited:

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Let me give you a few references.

Half a carat more, 13k, was considered fair, although maybe on the high side.
A little further down in the thread, a different stone with similar weight to yours, 7,2k.

On the other hand, check this out: https://www.etsy.com/listing/735117204/marquise-fine-blue-sapphire-diamond
Smaller, from a Canadian reputable vendor.

That is to say, not only are prices all over the place, but so are people's opinions of them. So my suggestion is to consider if the ring is actually worth owning and wearing.

I was able to locate who's selling it and I want to point out first that while the GIA report says the client has provided 2.75ct as the weight of the sapphire, the listing instead estimates it at 2.14 (which is more or less in line with the number the generic calculators spit out). That .6ct difference is quite important for the price.

Next, the colour - it doesn't wow me. It's pretty, but it's not top saturation. The cutting, regardless of being antique, means you see relatively little of the colour. With this stone you won't be able to enjoy an open colour that's visible throughout, there will always be some part of it that will be blacked out.

I believe in this case the high price is the result of more of the rarity and exclusivity of the piece the vendor is trying to portray (whether it's actually this rare and exclusive, I cannot say). The listing sells it up, describing the sapphire as glowy, where this is not a glowy sapphire by any means.

So I'll repeat the advice I've read here given many times by others before me - do you love it and absolutely have to have it, and if yes, can you find something similar for a better price?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t comment more than what’s already been said.
other than its noted as early 1800’s?
I’m absolutely naive but it doesn’t look that time period.

Last edited:

Barbarajoy

Rough_Rock
Let me give you a few references.

Half a carat more, 13k, was considered fair, although maybe on the high side.
A little further down in the thread, a different stone with similar weight to yours, 7,2k.

On the other hand, check this out: https://www.etsy.com/listing/735117204/marquise-fine-blue-sapphire-diamond
Smaller, from a Canadian reputable vendor.

That is to say, not only are prices all over the place, but so are people's opinions of them. So my suggestion is to consider if the ring is actually worth owning and wearing.

I was able to locate who's selling it and I want to point out first that while the GIA report says the client has provided 2.75ct as the weight of the sapphire, the listing instead estimates it at 2.14 (which is more or less in line with the number the generic calculators spit out). That .6ct difference is quite important for the price.

Next, the colour - it doesn't wow me. It's pretty, but it's not top saturation. The cutting, regardless of being antique, means you see relatively little of the colour. With this stone you won't be able to enjoy an open colour that's visible throughout, there will always be some part of it that will be blacked out.

I believe in this case the high price is the result of more of the rarity and exclusivity of the piece the vendor is trying to portray (whether it's actually this rare and exclusive, I cannot say). The listing sells it up, describing the sapphire as glowy, where this is not a glowy sapphire by any means.

So I'll repeat the advice I've read here given many times by others before me - do you love it and absolutely have to have it, and if yes, can you find something similar for a better price?

Thank you so much for your input. I’m so happy I found this forum!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results