shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this emerald?

Hi all! I’m still on the hunt for an 8mm round cut stone for an existing setting I have.

I found a 1.73ct emerald that might work! I love the color. But since the vendor is based on Thailand and it is currently uncerted, I wanted to ask for opinions on this stone. I’d definitely send it in for a lab report. But I haven’t decided if I want to have it sent to AIGS/GRS first, or have it shipped to me so I can see it in person (I’m in the US) and then send it to AGL.

Here’s what I know about this emerald at the moment:
- 1.73ct
- 8.05x5.20mm
- “Columbian minor oil”
- Described as “vivid green” by the vendor.
- Price is about $2000/carat

I also just bought a similar sized emerald from another vender. The price was closer to $1500/carat though. I liked the color and glow of that one. Unfortunately, it has a tilt window that I hadn’t noticed in the videos the vendor had sent me. Once I saw it in person, it was just too distracting to my eye. So I’ll be returning this other emerald.

My priorities right now are:
- Fits in the existing setting I have
- Relatively even coloring
- No scary inclusions that would compromise durability
- Some glow (or brilliance?)
- Has a certificate from a reputable lab

So my questions are:
1) Lab report or see it in person first?
2) Is ~$2000/carat a reasonable price to expect for an emerald like this if it is as represented?
3) Are there any glaring “issues” with this emerald that you see?

Thank you for reading! Look forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts.

1.73ct_1.jpg 1.73ct_2.jpg 1.73ct_3.jpg 1.73ct_4.jpg 1.73ct_6.jpg 1.73ct_5.jpg

And here’s my attempt at including a video...hope the link works:

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I can’t help you with any of the durability issues or certs but I gotta say I love the color and the glow!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a bit too hazy and included to command such a price per carat IMO. I would expect around $1k/ct tops. However, I may be out of touch with emerald pricing these days.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I would generally agree with @T L and say that it should command closer to $1k/ct if not considering cut. If it was emerald cut it's a pass on price. However, I do think some vendors will price round gems more because you lose more of the rough when you cut a round. So since having an 8mm round is important, you should expect higher prices.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the pedigree. I feel it is too opaque. It will always look like it needs to be cleaned, imo.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
The color is pretty but it looks opaque - I thought you were going to do a lab ruby?

I can’t help you with any of the durability issues or certs but I gotta say I love the color and the glow!
It’s a bit too hazy and included to command such a price per carat IMO. I would expect around $1k/ct tops. However, I may be out of touch with emerald pricing these days.
I would generally agree with @T L and say that it should command closer to $1k/ct if not considering cut. If it was emerald cut it's a pass on price. However, I do think some vendors will price round gems more because you lose more of the rough when you cut a round. So since having an 8mm round is important, you should expect higher prices.
I like the pedigree. I feel it is too opaque. It will always look like it needs to be cleaned, imo.
The color is pretty but it looks opaque - I thought you were going to do a lab ruby?

So from what I'm hearing, it sounds like the color is promising. But like the ruby I was looking at before, it's likely to be too included to have much of a glow or sheen (?) to it?

I definitely understand that wanting a CS of a decent quality in a specific size and shape means more compromises. And I'm totally willing to pay a bit more to find something that fits (of course I'd rather not if possible, ha), as long as it's still within a "reasonable" price range.

Speaking of price, that's probably why I'm all over the place. Originally, I was looking at rubellites and such in the $1000-2000 range. Now I'm scouring the interwebs for spinels, rubies, emeralds, sapphires, and diamonds in the $5000-6000 range!!

I still have the lab ruby as a "back up" plan. But I think in my heart, I really want an earth-mined gem if at all possible.

Oh, and here's some more pics I took of the 1.72ct Muzo emerald. This is the one I currently have on hand and was planning on returning. And yes, I happened to find a 1.73ct and a 1.72ct round. What are the odds??

Anyways, I love the color. It has enough of a glow for me and doesn't go dark indoors, etc. I'm not bothered by the inclusions. But that window. Uuuugh. I placed the emerald on top of an empty setting I have lying around and you can see right through it, right??

20210313_125003.jpg 20210312_123527.jpg 20210312_123651.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, if tilt windows bother you, I recommend you only consider higher RI gems like corundum, chrysoberyl, spinels, zircons, and certain species of garnet. Lower RI gems like tourmaline and emerald tend to show a tilt window unless they're cut very deep, which affects fit in a setting, as well as price, as you'd be getting smaller face up for same ct weight, UNLESS it's a concave cut.

@voce Sorry I seem to be having trouble explaining what it is exactly that bothers me about this particular emerald!

It's not so much that it has tilt windows. It's moreso that it has a large tilt window on one side that covers like, 30% of the bottom view? So I constantly find myself rotating the emerald to find the "right" angle to get rid of it.

I think it's because the pavillion may be asymmetrical? It's more noticeable IRL than in this pic below, but it looks like 1 side is cut more steeply than the other? Or the culet is off-center or something?

20210312_123813.jpg

Below are 2 more pics of the same darn tilt window. The rest of the emerald is perfect to me though!

IMG_20210313_080821_610.jpg IMG_20210313_080821_648.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The top one has beautiful color but is a bit more hazy than I prefer. I definitely like it better than the one with the window (that window would drive me crazy). I think if you like the look of sleepy gems, the top emerald could be a good fit. I’ve been following a few emerald dealers on IG and it seems like rounds are harder to come by.

Side note: A lot of emeralds are cut pretty deep. Did you check to se if it will fit into your setting?

The top one has beautiful color but is a bit more hazy than I prefer. I definitely like it better than the one with the window (that window would drive me crazy). I think if you like the look of sleepy gems, the top emerald could be a good fit. I’ve been following a few emerald dealers on IG and it seems like rounds are harder to come by.

Side note: A lot of emeralds are cut pretty deep. Did you check to se if it will fit into your setting?

Thanks for your input, @elle_71125! Yes, both of their depths will fit my setting. But yeah, having a CS that is cut a bit shallower than normal while still having decent color is another obstacle I'm faced against, lol.

Sigh. I wish I could stomach spending the $$$ for an OEC that's in the M range or higher. But if I wanna stay on budget, I know I'm gonna be looking at colored diamonds more in this range:

Screenshot_20210313-140857_Instagram~2.jpg

P.S. I've never seen a champagne diamond on me so IDK how I'd feel about a color like this IRL. And not sure how it'd look in a platinum ring with side stones in the K-L range (if I'm remembering correctly).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sigh. I wish I could stomach spending the $$$ for an OEC that's in the M range or higher. But if I wanna stay on budget, I know I'm gonna be looking at colored diamonds more in this range:

Screenshot_20210313-140857_Instagram~2.jpg

P.S. I've never seen a champagne diamond on me so IDK how I'd feel about a color like this IRL. And not sure how it'd look in a platinum ring with side stones in the K-L range (if I'm remembering correctly).

Champagne zircon??

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
I've also been eyeing @diamondseeker2006's AVR OEC

But of course, with my child still in daycare and everything, I just can't justify spending that kinda $ right now. :cry:

Daycare is nuts $$$$$. It was cheaper for my husband to quit his job and stay at home with the kids especially when we had our third.

As for the emeralds. No on the window. The color on the first one is amazing, but hard to know how it will perform.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've also been eyeing @diamondseeker2006's AVR OEC

But of course, with my child still in daycare and everything, I just can't justify spending that kinda $ right now. :cry:

My diamond was set in a CVB setting after I listed it. I kept it awhile because I love it, but I never wear my right hand rings, so I am actually selling the whole ring. So it wouldn't work for your purpose!

Figured I'd update this thread as well. I ended up with a 1.37ct Colombian vivid green minor oil emerald. As a bonus, it has that "gota de aceite" effect going on. I freaking looooove this stone. Can't wait to set it. Debating between another 3-stone, or maybe a cluster for this guy??

outdooremerald.jpg handindoor.jpg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Figured I'd update this thread as well. I ended up with a 1.37ct Colombian vivid green minor oil emerald. As a bonus, it has that "gota de aceite" effect going on. I freaking looooove this stone. Can't wait to set it. Debating between another 3-stone, or maybe a cluster for this guy??

That stone is beautiful- it shows how tricky emerald is to photograph bc the colors look so different in the two photos!

Megan Hill

Rough_Rock

Wow it looks so beautiful :kiss2: !! Just a question, what is a gota de aceite effect?

That stone is beautiful- it shows how tricky emerald is to photograph bc the colors look so different in the two photos!

IKR? This is my first decent emerald and I'm so amazed by how well it holds its color in all lighting. Even at its poopiest, it's still pretty.

20210517_121150.jpg
20210517_120416.jpg

Wow it looks so beautiful :kiss2: !! Just a question, what is a gota de aceite effect?

Ermmm shoot. Well without cheating and googling it right now, I remember it has to do with the way the crystal structure forms. It gives the emerald a "drop of oil" effect aka a shimmery look, kind of like butterfly wings. It's supposedly a rather rare phenomenon in emerald. Emeralds don't need this effect to be beautiful. And nowadays the term is overused like "pigeon blood" red.

That's all I remember off the top of my head rn lol.

Megan Hill

Rough_Rock
Ermmm shoot. Well without cheating and googling it right now, I remember it has to do with the way the crystal structure forms. It gives the emerald a "drop of oil" effect aka a shimmery look, kind of like butterfly wings. It's supposedly a rather rare phenomenon in emerald. Emeralds don't need this effect to be beautiful. And nowadays the term is overused like "pigeon blood" red.

That's all I remember off the top of my head rn lol.

Ohh that's good to know. Thank you for the clarification ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results