shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this DK cad for my rhodolite garnet

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Hi. I purchased my octagon rhodolite garnet from Gary at Finewater. I really love it (see other thread on purchase). I asked both MH and DK for pricing on the setting. MH came in more than double what DK quoted. I know many of you use and really like both vendors. As it is not an expensive stone and I know you are all happy with DK, I think that it makes sense to go with him. Here is the cad he sent me. He gave me prices for 14kt and 18kt, EG and LG for the melee. I have never ordered a custom setting before so I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I will also attach vendor photos of the garnet and a mock up inspiration image.

DAD28097-EDDD-4268-ACEF-86694E7A652C.jpeg DAD28097-EDDD-4268-ACEF-86694E7A652C.jpeg 095F7124-31CF-471F-9D91-BF17DFE35694.png 3F923290-EB8F-4545-9D1E-6422683A8990.png BB4A4A6F-7432-4F18-9B07-87707F113BF3.png

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh I love the kite set!! It's gonna be wonderful:kiss2:

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the garnet and the setting you are having made! DK will not let you down - he truly wants you to be happy. I will leave the CAD scrutiny to the others :))

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it will be lovely!

I would not do any cad tweaking until he had the stone and could confirm the stones pavilion and crown depth, and then he makes any necessary CAD changes due to that first.

Other than that the only think I can see which is really a preference thing is a sub 2mm shank. I believe it finishes out less than indicated.

ETA : I can’t see how a prong and a 1.2m can fit in that same space - but there’s a reason this is their job and not mine :)

Last edited:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I think it will be lovely!

I would not do any cad tweaking until he had the stone and could confirm the stones pavilion and crown depth, and then he makes any necessary CAD changes due to that first.

Other than that the only think I can see which is really a preference thing is a sub 2mm shank. I believe it finishes out less than indicated.

ETA : I can’t see how a prong and a 1.2m can fit in that same space - but there’s a reason this is their job and not mine :)

Thank you for your observations. As I said, I've never done a custom setting before. I agree with waiting until he sees the whole package to tweak the CAD. With regard to the shank, is 2mm more to a standard size? I want to wear this ring often, not just out to dinner (so to speak), so I want it to not be too dainty. I have no concept of the mm sizes. When I measure the width of my engagement ring band it is under 2mm. Probably close to 1.8mm - using a regular tape measure. I've had it 12 years and it wears well. What makes you think the finished shank will be less than 1.8mm?

I will question him on the prong and the 1.2mm just to make sure!

Thanks again.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t say 2mm is ‘standard’.
It’s my preference to not be below that - and preferences vary.
I have a 9x9 spinel (from Finewater as well :) ) on a shank that’s probably 1.5mm due to miscommunication, and it makes me pucker up when I put it on or take it off.

I do think DKJ has bumped a shank width up to 2.3 for me on a project to be sure it doesn’t go below my requested 2 after finishing/polishing, IIRC. Polishers can be heavy handed at times.
I won’t say a shank will always finish below the cad measurement - but I will say it has happened. DKJ or otherwise.

I wouldn’t sweat the halo stone at the prong. - I’m sure DKJ has it covered, they’ve done plenty.
I over mused on that one.

I have nothing to add except... this is going to be stunning! And I love that you're setting the stone on a bias. Can't wait to see it completed!!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see your ring! I'm useless with CADs so nothing useful to add other than I also like the stone set on a bias.

Who is MH??? I am drawing a blank!!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this setting and dont have anything helpful to add beyond being excited to see it!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Hi. So this is the final CAD for my ring before David casts it. Can you all please take a look and let me know if there any tweaks I should make. F5F78CE6-6F16-443E-9BB9-FD03EA6A27AC.jpeg

This looks great but I tend to prefer a more ornate gallery. I also like vintage pieces so that’s just me. This one may be your style preference and that’s totally fine because it’s your ring. I just thought I would mention that you could also embellish that aspect of the design if you want with swirls or added cross pieces. There are many options depending on what you like. DK has done many gallery designs.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
This looks great but I tend to prefer a more ornate gallery. I also like vintage pieces so that’s just me. This one may be your style preference and that’s totally fine because it’s your ring. I just thought I would mention that you could also embellish that aspect of the design if you want with swirls or added cross pieces. There are many options depending on what you like. DK has done many gallery designs.

Thank you for your thoughts. I’ve already given the OK to David. I think the melee will spice it up enough for me, but I did just get a lab emerald from Precision Gems that I am thinking of doing in a bezel setting and adding something special to the gallery would work nicely with that.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your thoughts. I’ve already given the OK to David. I think the melee will spice it up enough for me, but I did just get a lab emerald from Precision Gems that I am thinking of doing in a bezel setting and adding something special to the gallery would work nicely with that.

It’s going to be gorgeous. I can’t wait to see it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results