shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this diamond?

LoveMeDo

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I want to upgrade my ring from 1.6 to 2 carats, and my jeweler is telling me that this diamond is a great choice. The problem is that it doesn't rate well on HCA. Can someone please give their thoughts on the below?

Carat: 2.01
Color: I
Clarity: SI1

Depth: 62%
Table: 65%
Crown: 12.5%
Pavilion: 44.1%

Medium to Thick
Cutlet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None

Here are the stats on my current ring:

Carat: 1.6
Color: H
Clarity: SI2

Depth: 61.7%
Table: 58%
Crown: 14.9%
Pavilion: 42.4%

SL Thick to Thick

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who assigned the colour/clarity grades on your current stone - EGL-USA, EGL-I, someone else? We have many examples to show that EGL tends to grade loosely on colour and clarity compared to GIA or AGS, but if your stone is an EGL H then loose colour grading on this one may not present such a large downgrade, visually

Numbers, EGL-USA - well, I'll be honest, definitely not my pick, that's for sure. You've seen it IRL - what did you think? Have them clean it, and compare it and your current stone and as many other stones of similar size as possible in different types of lights - in the spotlights, sure, then go beside a window and compare in direct sunlight, in the diffuse white back office lights, in the dimness under a desk. See what your eyes think. Then smudge it with fingerprints and skin oils and compare again. Put it on a brightly coloured piece of paper and see if you can see right through it. Also check and see if the stone is eyeclean to your requirements in these various lights - sometimes it's easier to see inclusions in some light types than others.

Blue Nile lists GIA 2ct 'very good' cut I SI1s starting at over 19k, 'good' cut 17k and up, 'excellent' cut 20k and up. So you can be absolutely certain that this stone is not a 'very good', or 'excellent cut' 2ct I SI1 by GIA's standards - not even close.

Value for money - is a different question, depending on what you are looking for. Not everyone wants a vg or ex cut I SI1 by GIA's standards - if your primary motivation is size, say, this might well fit the bill!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoveMeDo|1309296445|2957307 said:
Hello,

I want to upgrade my ring from 1.6 to 2 carats, and my jeweler is telling me that this diamond is a great choice. The problem is that it doesn't rate well on HCA. Can someone please give their thoughts on the below?

Carat: 2.01
Color: I
Clarity: SI1

Depth: 62%
Table: 65%
Crown: 12.5%
Pavilion: 44.1%
Medium to Thick
find yourself another jeweler.. :rolleyes: ..big table,flat top,deep bottom half... :knockout: :knockout:

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.