shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this cushion?

SweetPeach

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, apologies for another post like this - it seems to be quite a popular topic lately!

Here is our situation...My fiance and I recently got engaged, and happily, he and I are picking out the ring together! :bigsmile: I've had my eye on this JbEG cushion and am considering getting it for my engagement ring. You guys are so generous with giving posters feedback on stones and I was hoping you'd humor me with your thoughts as well.

I think this stone is quite dreamy. I love some warmth in a stone, particularly an old cut like this, so this one fits the bill, though it is a bit lower than I had initially considered - I realize I'll have to double check this in person if we go ahead with it....i.e. when I get my grubby little hands on it :naughty: !! The stone is uncertified, so the plan would be to take it to an appraiser to check it over, for insurance purposes, etc. In the meantime, I'm wondering, is there anything else that stands out - good or bad - that we should consider before making our decision?

On sort of a side note, we are considering taking it to Richard Drucker for the appraisal, since he is local to us - does anyone have any experience w/ him? Especially as it might pertain to a stone like this?

Thank you in advance - any thoughts and guidance you may have to share would be very much appreciated!

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.c...ique-Cushion/15778317_GF3mh9#1183104630_HaiKP

SweetPeach

Rough_Rock
I'm not in the trade...I'll have to get that designation off my profile!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it looks lovely. The key will be as you already indicated...how you feel about the color when you see it in person. What are you hoping to accomplish by taking the stone to an appraiser? I'm asking b/c Erica and Grace have an impeccable reputation and I'm not sure you need to spend any additional $$ on an indepedent appraisal...unless you feel you'd need it for insurance purposes.

SweetPeach

Rough_Rock
Yennyfire, thank you for the prompt response! We're considering the appraisal purely for insurance purposes! Since the color listing is quite broad etc, we wanted to ensure that if anything were to happen, we'd be appropriately covered on the stone - my understanding was that this is best accomplished before the stone is set? That was the initial thought, anyway! :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
You are correct in that it is much easier to grade color when unset. You could also send the stone to GIA and get a full grading report, although you would still need an appraisal on the finished piece for insurance purposes.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1315005365|3008669 said:
I think it looks lovely. The key will be as you already indicated...how you feel about the color when you see it in person. What are you hoping to accomplish by taking the stone to an appraiser? I'm asking b/c Erica and Grace have an impeccable reputation and I'm not sure you need to spend any additional $$ on an indepedent appraisal...unless you feel you'd need it for insurance purposes.
I agree with Yenny, it's a beautiful stone!

I wear an O/P cushion and I really love the warmth. In fact, my jeweler set a surprise fancy yellow diamond beneath the culet of my stone to help bring out even more warmth in it. Swoon. The key is whether *you* will appreciate this stone's warmth.

Yenny--My stone was uncertified and I requested that my jeweler send it in for a cert. I trust my jeweler completely, but I just wanted to know exactly what I was getting in terms of the numbers according to GIA. I wonder if Erica and Grace would send this stone in for certification. If not, I don't see anything wrong with getting an appraisal. We can fall in love with a cushion with our eyes, but it's nice to have the stone's specs verified for our minds.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fair point Haven. ;-)

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Haven|1315007233|3008681 said:
yennyfire|1315005365|3008669 said:
I agree with Yenny, it's a beautiful stone!

I wear an O/P cushion and I really love the warmth. In fact, my jeweler set a surprise fancy yellow diamond beneath the culet of my stone to help bring out even more warmth in it. Swoon. The key is whether *you* will appreciate this stone's warmth.

Yenny--My stone was uncertified and I requested that my jeweler send it in for a cert. I trust my jeweler completely, but I just wanted to know exactly what I was getting in terms of the numbers according to GIA. I wonder if Erica and Grace would send this stone in for certification. If not, I don't see anything wrong with getting an appraisal. We can fall in love with a cushion with our eyes, but it's nice to have the stone's specs verified for our minds.

Grace will send it to GIA if you wish, yes. She is sending my OEC off to GIA shortly, she was more than happy to when I asked.
I'm still getting a local appraisal for insurance but it'll be set by then so I wanted it to go to GIA first.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's great! That is definitely what I would do, then--send it to GIA first, then have it set.

SweetPeach

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your thoughts and responses - they are very much appreciated!

Yennyfire and Haven - I appreciate your positive feedback on the stone! Haven, I've seen your thread and the pictures you've shared of your ring - it is absolutely gorgeous! We also happen to be local to Burdeen's, so hearing about your very positive experience and relationship with them is so helpful as well! So thank you!

slg47 and maplefemme - thank you as well for your guidance on the appraisal/certification processes! Maplefemme, it is also very helpful to know that JbEG sent your stone away to GIA too.

We've been working with Grace and she has been absolutely fabulous! Right now, our plan is to bring this diamond home and get a feel for it and the color in person, so hopefully, we'll have it soon and I can share more pictures with you!

Thank you all again!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
beautiful stone! I am anxious to hear how you feel about the color in person and if it's a winner!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
You're local to Burdeen's? We should meet there when you get this stone and take some photos of our O/Ps together! My O/P has never met another O/P. :cheeky:

I'm really excited to see how you like this stone. I think she looks beautiful, and I bet you fall in love with her when you have her in your hands.

SweetPeach

Rough_Rock
Amys Bling - thank you so much! I'll be sure to circle back with our thoughts on the warmth of the stone. I'm more comfortable with warmth in general than FI is, but then again he hasn't had the benefit, like I have, of admiring all the beautiful warm stones here on PriceScope either!! :halo:

Haven - that would be so much fun - lets do it! I think they'd make quite a pretty pair for a photoshoot! I am totally taking you up on this! :bigsmile: How would we go about trying to coordinate?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm . . . I have no idea. Maybe the mods could put us in touch with each other? I'll work on it. When will you get the stone?

Burdeen's is having a charity event this month, if you have it in time for that we could have our photo shoot then!

SweetPeach

Rough_Rock
If the moderators could put us in touch, that would be super easy!

Otherwise, we hope to get the stone in the next week or so to see how we feel about the color. So if we keep it, I should certainly have it by the time the event rolls around. I doubt it'll be set, but we can always do a follow up for that! :)

SweetPeach

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to pop in and give a quick update...we ended up not keeping the diamond. It was such a tough decision. The stone is really so lovely, but the color ended up being just too warm for us.

But not to worry (I know you were :) ), we have another stone in mind that will be on its way to us shortly, also from JbEG. They've be absolutely fabulous to work with! We will be getting this diamond without the setting. I've long been a fan of Boston Jeff's ring and the JbEG Sophie has a nice simple, but vintage feel to it, so I'm leaning towards something along those lines... Figuring out a setting will be the next step!

And here's the link for the diamond...

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-diamonds/205ct-Loose-Old-Mine-Cut/16169432_dqTrK#1214289505_uQ6aw

Haven, if your OMB would still be interested in meeting this one, I'm game! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results