shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this BE 1.27ct diamond

cyprian94

Rough_Rock
Hello all!

So glad I found the community and hoping for some advice.

As every one of you'll understand the decision to buy engagement ring is quite a big one, and I've already spent lots of time on research. That said, without the expert help I can't really say if what I'm getting into is a good deal, especially that with Brilliant Earth (really my only choice in the UK, apart from James Allen and Taylor & Hart to which I'll come back later) I can't see the diamond live until they deliver it.

So, straight to the point - what are your thoughts on this: https://www.brilliantearth.com/rings/cyorings/view_diamond/8770617/?sid=4554010
My heart was set on F colour till today when I read that IGI certificate may well flush down the toilet and my only other alternative is the GCAL. BE currently does not have any F coloured diamond within my price range (up to around £4200 with the setting). This particular one looks good I think, got an HCA score of 1.4 and from what I can tell the measurements fit within the acceptable ranges. My only worry is that on the photo it looks pretty yellow? I know that when mounted on the platinum setting that I want to go for, it'll pick up some of its colour but I just don't really wanna be disappointed and I'm not really in for this whole trouble to then return it. Not to mention the fact BE's returns are apparently not quite pleasant.

Would love to see what you guys think! Generally I've been hunting for: the best cut possible, clarity from VS2 (preferably VS1) to VVS2, 1.10 - 1.35ct and F colour MDM diamonds (as mentioned with price around up to £4200).

Thanks,
Cyprian

Gemma10

Rough_Rock
Hi!! I was originally looking at g-h stones as well and I was advised by several sources and jewellers that With IGI one should always go up 1-2 notches on their certificate so I have decided to look at only D, E, F.... as I was also noticing the same yellow issue

hope this helps

cyprian94

Rough_Rock
This is GCAL certified, rather than IGI so not sure if the same rule applies to those. From what I gathered from this forum not neccessarily?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There have been some discussions around 'soft' grading by labs other than AGS and GIA, as you have noted.

Personally speaking I am colour sensitive and colour intolerant (I want colourless, dammit! :lol:) so I would personally aim for DEF in any MMD, as at least that way it shouldn't be lower than a G or, at worst, an H, but we are all individuals with individual levels of colour sensitivity and personal taste with regards to colour. :)

Purchasing from vendors with good Returns policies is essential for diamonds in general, I think, especially MMD, as that way we can check at home, away from the glitzy shop lights!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not purchase from BE due to alll of the recent issues people have had with customer service, returns, etc. I agree that sticking with DEF is smart if you want truly colorless.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are two different threads of difficulty people have recently had with Brilliant Earth:

If anything goes wrong, they become a nightmare to deal with. Personally I'd look elsewhere like at James Allen for instance.

cyprian94

Rough_Rock
In such case, I think I'm gonna drop BE for good, no need to go through all the trouble. Thanks for that!
On that note - apart from James Allen (which delivers to the UK but you still need to pay I think around 23% of customs altogether, which is one of the reasons I was leaning towards BE as their prices are final and no customs are added), is there any other MMD jeweller in the UK?

Does anyone have any experience with Taylor & Hart in London? I've had an appointment with one of their design consultants but she seemed to downplay all of the measurements of the diamond and their importance, saying 'all the diamonds they sell are of highest quality' or something like that.
I think the consultant and I didn't really 'click' so I could re-consider going to another representative and perhaps starting with a clean slate, but I can't really find any informed reviews on the internet apart from the obvious ones on Google Reviews.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In such case, I think I'm gonna drop BE for good, no need to go through all the trouble. Thanks for that!
On that note - apart from James Allen (which delivers to the UK but you still need to pay I think around 23% of customs altogether, which is one of the reasons I was leaning towards BE as their prices are final and no customs are added), is there any other MMD jeweller in the UK?

Does anyone have any experience with Taylor & Hart in London? I've had an appointment with one of their design consultants but she seemed to downplay all of the measurements of the diamond and their importance, saying 'all the diamonds they sell are of highest quality' or something like that.
I think the consultant and I didn't really 'click' so I could re-consider going to another representative and perhaps starting with a clean slate, but I can't really find any informed reviews on the internet apart from the obvious ones on Google Reviews.

I've not heard of T&H - but if they are downplaying the importance of cut and instead selling on colour/clarity/carat alone, they are not in the PS frame of mind ;-) :lol:

I think Durham Rose sells MMDs, and they also sell CBI stones, so they should be well-versed in the sort of quality that we PSers like to see. It could be worth dropping them a line to confirm and see what they say :)

Don't forget that UK jewellers will be pricing in VAT to their prices, so although you have to add 20% VAT to loose stones you import, and an extra 2.5% for set jewellery, it might still work out cheaper or the same price (but better quality) :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results