shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this asscher?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not an expert but my ring is an asscher, and I think this one looks really good. You always have to see them in person, though. I believe I saw all the steps light up. It looks promising to me.

Hopefully gypsy or diamondseeker or asscherlover will chime in.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tyty
thanks!

I like your pick very much and had it put on hold.
It looks a bit more contrasty, I like the size, I like the price and the color is not discernible from the G.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whitewave, Thanks!
I really like it too. Tyty's offering seems even better. I have both on hold for the day : )

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, Jimmianne! I've missed seeing you around here! As far as these asschers go, the angle at which they are videoed makes it very hard to see how the stone looks head on. I can't tell enough from that. Have you requested an ASET on them? I think we need that.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, hi : )
and thanks for the suggestion.

Back in NC to enjoy the beautiful fall weather!

They can send the ASETS.
I put the diamonds on hold for an additional day to see if I can come up with a third option just to make it as informative as possible.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Always slim pickin's in the asscher department but fun to look - guess that's what makes it interesting. Quite a challenge with these guys.
So, I'll have ASETS in under 48 hours and come back to report.

until then...dreaming...

I want to be like that PSer who found a Royal Asscher in a pawn shop! :dance:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne, that is a decent budget and as soon as I can I will start searching. But maybe in the meantime another PSer will find you the perfect asscher...antique preferred right? :appl:

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Ooh, I like the last one you posted. I like the small table, the nice spread and the stop sign appearance of the asscher. Can't wait to see the asets for these 3!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
clearfading|1481290278|4105846 said:
Ooh, I like the last one you posted. I like the small table, the nice spread and the stop sign appearance of the asscher. Can't wait to see the asets for these 3!

thanks! I like the small table, the shape, and it's the largest of the picks. The inclusions are a bit troublesome, but I'm changing my "mind-clean" ideas about inclusions as the darned things seem to show up in the stones I like best [in my price range].

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like that third one, too. If you did double claw prongs, it might help hide the inclusions. I actually bought an SI1 antique asscher myself. It's tricky getting SI in an asscher, but it is possible depending on the type and location of inclusions.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1481281384|4105827 said:
Thanks, DS for your help.

I decided that 10k would be the cut-off point, [soon after deciding a that the cut off would be 7k] :lol:
The waters can get deeper fast!

I added this as the third ASET out of curiousity:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/1.51-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-sku-1841336

Curious how much this one was becuase it is listed as not available. Mine is a 1.52 and I paid 12k for it (but its a G and VS2)... curious what prices are these days

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
whitewave|1481297567|4105873 said:
Jimmianne|1481281384|4105827 said:
Curious how much this one was because it is listed as not available. Mine is a 1.52 and I paid 12k for it (but its a G and VS2)... curious what prices are these days

whitewave, I'll have to get back to you on that. Once I put them on hold the prices went away. They were all between 8-10k if I recall correctly, I know that doesn't help AT ALL!
Perhaps you could plug in your specs on the JA site and get an idea.

oh - the ASETS can take up to a week, but the order has been put in. Certain forces are at work, meaning I may now start looking at antique asschers before making a decision, but it will be fun to see the ASETS no matter what.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ASETS in:Thoughts on this asscher?

Tyty's choice and my "add it to the ASET lineup for fun" octagonal stone. The gemologist liked Tyty's pick best. For performance I do too, but I am still a bit seduced by the shape, table size and overall size of the octagon. I would be happy with either, I think, or could be happy continuing to look if that is the advice here.
=)
1.52 [6.36mm] H/VVS1 T%=63
2211514.jpg
1.51 [6.58mm] I/SI1 T%=59
1841336.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the shape of the octagon...the center of the one I picked looks a little meh...that big step is gray.

The octagon shaped stone looks like it has a few steps that may not light up that great either. I say order it and
see if it performs up to your wishes...return if not.

If you have the funds and dont mind going through the hassle you could order both and return the one you dont want to keep.
Would be fun/useful to do a side by side comparison.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you are well :wavey: I will throw a few more options out there, contact Adam at Old World Diamonds and Grace at JBG and ask if they currently have anything that is more of a hybrid cross between an Emerald cut and an Antique Asscher or an antique stretched Asscher, that way you get the benefit of size and I think more of sort of cut pattern you are looking for as well. Adam might be able to pull a rabbit out of a hat and call something in for you. And while we are on the topic of calling things in contact the people at IDJ too, they have had some fabulous ECs people have posted on here, explain you are a fussy P/Ser and explain in detail what you are looking for.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank, tyty.
so far this is my thought
I know this much about myself - I prefer character over perfection. When I got my OEC I chose a funky, moody one over a perfectly cut disco ball. I'm getting the same sense here that the octagon has the personality I respond to.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1481810610|4107458 said:
I hope you are well :wavey: I will throw a few more options out there, contact Adam at Old World Diamonds and Grace at JBG and ask if they currently have anything that is more of a hybrid cross between an Emerald cut and an Antique Asscher or an antique stretched Asscher, that way you get the benefit of size and I think more of sort of cut pattern you are looking for as well. Adam might be able to pull a rabbit out of a hat and call something in for you. And while we are on the topic of calling things in contact the people at IDJ too, they have had some fabulous ECs people have posted on here, explain you are a fussy P/Ser and explain in detail what you are looking for.

Hi : )

thanks!
I'll do my homework and let you know what I find out.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1481810744|4107459 said:
Thank, tyty.
I know this much about myself - I prefer character over perfection. When I got my OEC I chose a funky, moody one over a perfectly cut disco ball. I'm getting the same sense here that the octagon has the personality I respond to.

I like the way you think Jimmianne...the octagon is different in a cool way and I tend to like bigger windmills which an octagon
would have...I think you should order it and take it for a test drive! :D

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1481817937|4107491 said:
Thank, tyty.

I like the way you think Jimmianne...the octagon is different in a cool way and I tend to like bigger windmills which an octagon
would have...I think you should order it and take it for a test drive! :D
I got a kick out of your post.
As I said to Missy this morning...you are an enabler and i love you for it! : )

I think I should too.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
would have...I think you should order it and take it for a test drive! :D[/quote]

I second this! Post pics and videos if you do test drive it. I love the shape of that asscher. I have a 2 ct asscher and love a smaller table which the octagonal one has.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1481819990|4107498 said:
tyty333|1481817937|4107491 said:
Thank, tyty.

As I said to Missy this morning...you are an enabler and i love you for it! : )
=)
ps I meant Missy was helping me get enthused about diamond buying and now you are helping too
nothing like encouragement to have more fun with more bling.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi whitewave, I like looking at rings from that vendor!

Tyty
woo hoo! great idea!
I'm going to be taking the octagonal asscher for a test drive. The vendor said that they could set it and send it in time for Christmas.
I have several settings ready for this size stone, but I wanted to be able to wear it right away, so i chose a simple white gold solitaire to get through the holidays. I do hope I like it. The search can be a real rabbit hole, which is fun at first and then becomes tedious, so I'm hoping this diamond is a keeper.
I'll let you know.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1481991892|4107944 said:
Hi whitewave, I like looking at rings from that vendor!

Tyty
woo hoo! great idea!
I'm going to be taking the octagonal asscher for a test drive. The vendor said that they could set it and send it in time for Christmas.
I have several settings ready for this size stone, but I wanted to be able to wear it right away, so i chose a simple white gold solitaire to get through the holidays. I do hope I like it. The search can be a real rabbit hole, which is fun at first and then becomes tedious, so I'm hoping this diamond is a keeper.
I'll let you know.

Excellent! Lots of pictures please! No jewelry for me this Xmas so I'll be doing some "virtual" enjoyment of everyone's pictures on-line...
I hope it turns out to be beautiful and scratch the quirky itch at the same time!

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi jimmianne,

It has been a while and so I just wanted to say hi. :wavey: Hope all is well and I can't wait to see this asscher. Lots of pics please!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hathalove|1481997278|4107975 said:
Hi jimmianne,

It has been a while and so I just wanted to say hi. :wavey: Hope all is well and I can't wait to see this asscher. Lots of pics please!

hi Hatha, I always love to hear from you. We go way back! I think we started talking when I came down with my first diamond fever.
It's only gotten worse : )
I hope you are doing well. I saw that you have your ACA for sale and am hoping you get a quick sale. It's a beautiful stone.

to you and Tyty - yes, there will be lots of photos! It's so grey on the East coast, I am ready to have more sparkle to obsess over : )

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results