shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this 3+carat RB diamond

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooo I see. The jeweler is getting it from their other location so I'll upload video/pics when I get them.

Other than poorer proportions, do you see any other red flags to the 2.77?

The 2.77 proportions are still ideal, and it actually looks quite nice in the video. Will you be able to compare them in different lighting conditions?

hab818

Rough_Rock
The 2.77 proportions are still ideal, and it actually looks quite nice in the video. Will you be able to compare them in different lighting conditions?

That’s nice to know. I’m going in this weekend to take a look at both these stones myself and hope to choose 1 of the 2. From a size standpoint I’m gravitating towards 2.77, but will ultimately choose based on fire.

Hope to share some videos soon! So grateful for all the comments and help, particularly @Kim N and @DejaWiz!

hab818

Rough_Rock
Just noticed that the lab report on the 2.77 said there’s been post growth treatments to change the color. Is this coming for CVD stones? Is this good? Bad? Non-issue unlike natural diamonds that get treated? 3B21908B-DE61-4099-80E5-DCC50FCFEF2B.jpeg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Just noticed that the lab report on the 2.77 said there’s been post growth treatments to change the color. Is this coming for CVD stones? Is this good? Bad? Non-issue unlike natural diamonds that get treated? 3B21908B-DE61-4099-80E5-DCC50FCFEF2B.jpeg

From what I understand, PGT is usually present on CVD diamonds that have been grown rapidly, resulting in rough that is a bit tinted and has inclusions that most would find off-putting. The "solution" is to expose the rough to HPHT (ironically enough) in order to smush the growth layers together while improving color and clarity.
Because CVD diamonds are grown in layers, I highly recommend that each one be vetted to rule out *potential* issues associated with CVD diamonds: striations, haziness, birefringence, tinting, pinpoints, speckles of carbon, etc.

hab818

Rough_Rock
Got some video and images on the 3.04! Seeing them tomorrow morning- would love your thoughts.

Preliminarily they both look pretty similar to me?! Curious what they look like in person.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Got some video and images on the 3.04! Seeing them tomorrow morning- would love your thoughts.

Preliminarily they both look pretty similar to me?! Curious what they look like in person.

Stars appear to be on the slightly smaller side...I'd call them 45%, maybe. Not sure.
Could have a slight impact on fire, so be sure you like whatever performance personality that it exhibits.
Don't forget to ask about advanced images, if your dealer has the tools to get them.

hab818

Rough_Rock

Of course I post the wrong link! See above for the actual 3.04. So sorry!!!!!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Of course I post the wrong link! See above for the actual 3.04. So sorry!!!!!

Looks darned good. Definitely screen it for Type IIb, since it's a bit difficult to determine if it has a boron component or if it's merely the photography environment.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Both stones look good, though I prefer the 3.04. Looking forward to hearing your impressions when you see them tomorrow.

hab818

Rough_Rock
In my excitement, forgot to take some in person videos. They both were nice stones but in my amateur eyes the 3.04 was a little more fiery, a bit more brilliant. The 2.77 had some yellow hue to it even though it’s an E. Even my not-so-color sensitive better half thought so. We’re going to do a simple 6 prong setting on my size 4.75 finger. Can’t wait to show y’all final results!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my excitement, forgot to take some in person videos. They both were nice stones but in my amateur eyes the 3.04 was a little more fiery, a bit more brilliant. The 2.77 had some yellow hue to it even though it’s an E. Even my not-so-color sensitive better half thought so. We’re going to do a simple 6 prong setting on my size 4.75 finger. Can’t wait to show y’all final results!

The shallower crown and larger table on the 2.77 might have impacted its fire. The 3.04 also had the advantage of size. It's going to look beautiful and huge on you! Looking forward to seeing it!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock

That sounds amazing! Can’t wait to see your pictures!!

hab818

Rough_Rock
Wanted to come back and thank you guys for helping me pick my dream diamond. We finally got engaged! In Japan, no less, in front of Mt. Fuji. Wanted to add some photos/video for you to see the final product.

IMG_4132.jpg IMG_4127.jpg IMG_4139.jpg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Stunning ring and congratulations to you both, hab818!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wanted to come back and thank you guys for helping me pick my dream diamond. We finally got engaged! In Japan, no less, in front of Mt. Fuji. Wanted to add some photos/video for you to see the final product.

Congratulations to both of you! The ring looks gorgeous on you, and the engagement photos are awesome! :love:

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations! It looks beautiful and I am glad you went with that diamond!

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock

This is beautiful! Congratulations!

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations to you both!! Absolutely beautiful!! :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results