shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this 3+carat RB diamond

hab818

Rough_Rock
Working with a local vendor for a 3-ish carat round brilliant ring and they recommended this one. I have some VERY basic knowledge... and have requested ASET images in case you guys want to see them, but would really love to get some help making sure this is a good-lookin diamond!

Thanks in advance! Really appreciate the supportive nature of this community!

Stats:
3.41carats
9.67x9.73x5.97mm
D, VS1
HPHT type 2

1644952279759.png

Here's a video of it:

HCA score was 0.7
IMG_9444.jpg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello, hab818

This one appears to be an HPHT...It's hard to conclude from the video, but it might have undisclosed blue nuance.
Rotate it to the side profile view and look towards the edges of the girdle and crown.
If the seller has this diamond on-hand, then ask them to send you pictures of it upside down (face-down/culet-up) in a white grading tray so you can be sure.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hello, hab818

This one appears to be an HPHT...It's hard to conclude from the video, but it might have undisclosed blue nuance.
Rotate it to the side profile view and look towards the edges of the girdle and crown.
If the seller has this diamond on-hand, then ask them to send you pictures of it upside down (face-down/culet-up) in a white grading tray so you can be sure.

I do not understand the negativity to a blue tint?
Makes a diamond look more beautiful to me DW.

hab818

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your comments. Would also like to know if blue fluorescence is good/bad... I feel like this is pretty personal preference- and based on the many threads I've read now for the past few months, some like it, some don't...

Does it equate to a poorer quality diamond?
If the tint is mild, does it really "change" anything to the naked eye?
In your opinion, Garry- do you think the blue fluorescence actually enhance the brilliance of the diamond?

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
The pics of the ones I've seen with that slight Blue tint just don't look natural to me.

But hold on.. didn't we discuss that D's don't have Blue nuance?? That they would be considered fancy??? I'm so confused!!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
The pics of the ones I've seen with that slight Blue tint just don't look natural to me.

But hold on.. didn't we discuss that D's don't have Blue nuance?? That they would be considered fancy??? I'm so confused!!

D can have undisclosed blue nuance. Doesn't matter which lab does the grading, because I've seen reports from IGI, GIA, and GCAL that don't bother distinguishing and notating Type IIb...which is quite disappointing since the ultimate end purpose of a grading lab is to protect the customer by arming them with information about every aspect of any given diamond/gemstone. They're dropping the ball on this by omitting that tidbit which is cheap and easy to determine with a simple electrical conductivity test to detect any meaningful presence of boron. It really irks me.

Last edited:

hab818

Rough_Rock
D can have undisclosed blue nuance. Doesn't matter which lab does the grading, because I've seen reports from IGI, GIA, and GCAL that don't bother distinguishing and notating Type IIb...which is quite disappointing since the ultimate end purpose of a grading lab is to protect the customer by arming them with information about every aspect of any given diamond/gemstone. They're dropping the ball on this by omitting that tidbit which is cheap and easy to determine with a simple electrical conductivity test to detect any meaningful presence of boron. It really irks me.

Went back to look at the lab report (from IGI) and it definitely did not denote type IIa or IIb. That's frustrating for me because I'm already a newbie and these reports should clarify these things!

I was under the impression that DEF colorless stones have very low to no risk of blue nuance. So confusing.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I was under the impression that DEF colorless stones have very low to no risk of blue nuance.

Exactly what unscrupulous growers want the consumer base to think...and the grading labs aren't doing squat about it.

From my observations for HPHT grown diamonds:
D has the least chance
E has some chance
F has a modest chance

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

I would have agreed with you prior to that 8 page thread
"Blue Lab Grown Diamonds- boron?"
BUT-----------------
Post #165, page 6 @Garry H (Cut Nut) said "If a diamond has a blue nuance or tint it can not be D color. Full stop."

So what am I missing?? I don't want to go in circles over this again... :lol-2: :lol-2:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I would have agreed with you prior to that 8 page thread
"Blue Lab Grown Diamonds- boron?"
BUT-----------------
Post #165, page 6 @Garry H (Cut Nut) said "If a diamond has a blue nuance or tint it can not be D color. Full stop."

So what am I missing?? I don't want to go in circles over this again... :lol-2: :lol-2:

Garry was stating that any diamond that is a D color should not contain any tint at all.
Should not...based on the very standards that the grading labs have set for themselves to adhere to.

Garry's clarifying response (very last sentence, in particular):

Unfortunately, some lab grown diamonds with boron blue tinting are being graded as D... definitely by GIA and IGI, and perhaps even GCAL.

One of my responses in that same thread:

There are multiple examples floating around of D color lab diamonds that do exhibit a slight turquoise/blue tint.
I agree with Garry that a D should never have any tint to it, regardless of the color of the tint and the cause of said tint.

Last edited:

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz I see.
I thought it was in response to my comment where I said a D had blue nuance. Got the impression from his post that no lab would grade a D with BN as a D, but rather a fancy.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz I see.
I thought it was in response to my comment where I said a D had blue nuance. Got the impression from his post that no lab would grade a D with BN as a D, but rather a fancy.

That absolutely should be the case, but unfortunately isn't.

hab818

Rough_Rock
Got some new images for you guys to look at. Not gonna lie, I thought the ASET images are kind of poor and dull?
C34F5C3F-39A8-400A-8A87-E71FE24CFB27.jpeg

8C57E300-34ED-4012-A0FD-D0ABCF4B6DE2.jpeg 41E8EDD7-1DC7-435C-9133-9FC18D1B5BFF.jpeg

Attachments

• 4C91EB4B-990D-4D5B-9989-65A3471C68A3.jpeg
    4C91EB4B-990D-4D5B-9989-65A3471C68A3.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 31

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually think the images are quite good. Karl_K, can you weigh in?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I actually think the images are quite good. Karl_K, can you weigh in?
yep
The back light is way way way over bright.
Taking into account the back lighting the IS and ASET pass the test.
The hearts show its not h&a but not bad either.

Just for an fyi you use the lightest part in the center of the diamond as your reference point for insignificant leakage as seen in the computer generated image of a theoretically perfectly cut diamond when looking at IS and ASET images.

hab818

Rough_Rock
Ohhhhhhhh thanks for that! That makes sense- you need a reference point to determine whether it’s true light leakage or just bad lighting (or too much).

I’m going to see this diamond in person tomorrow. Will take all your feedback into consideration before making a decision!

hab818

Rough_Rock
Well I tried the 3.41. There was a very slight blue tint when compared to a natural D diamond but not enough to deter me. It looked very nice in person but I just didn't like it because... it was too big. I know, I know, bigger is better. But for some reason it just looks a little too much on my smaller shorter hands so... we found this 2.97 E VVS1 instead. HCA score 0.9.

This time they sent me a link to all the images and a 360 video. I might not be able to look at this one in person so... really hope you guys can tell me if it's legit.

Can someone also educate me on what those red dots "growth remnants" are? I guess you can only see them from the bottom but how will this affect light return?

Many thanks in advance.
IMG_9654.PNG IMG_9651.PNG IMG_9652.PNG

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I tried the 3.41. There was a very slight blue tint when compared to a natural D diamond but not enough to deter me. It looked very nice in person but I just didn't like it because... it was too big. I know, I know, bigger is better. But for some reason it just looks a little too much on my smaller shorter hands so... we found this 2.97 E VVS1 instead. HCA score 0.9.

This time they sent me a link to all the images and a 360 video. I might not be able to look at this one in person so... really hope you guys can tell me if it's legit.

Can someone also educate me on what those red dots "growth remnants" are? I guess you can only see them from the bottom but how will this affect light return?

Many thanks in advance.
IMG_9654.PNG IMG_9651.PNG IMG_9652.PNG

This one appears to have even more blue nuance than the previous one. The light return and proportions are good, though.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
This one appears to have even more blue nuance than the previous one. The light return and proportions are good, though.

Indeed. Way more turquoise tint.
Not sure if it's just the way the photos/video is, but it appears to have some darkening of the upper facets out near the arrow tips.
Might be due to the 45% stars or some other reason.

hab818

Rough_Rock
Comparing between the 3.41 video and this one, I can see a lot more blue (and I'm usually terrible at these videos). I think I can deal with a little blue but more than that it looks a little fake to me :( Probably should pass?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Comparing between the 3.41 video and this one, I can see a lot more blue (and I'm usually terrible at these videos). I think I can deal with a little blue but more than that it looks a little fake to me :( Probably should pass?

Up to you. There are thousands and thousands of diamonds available to pick from right now with more hitting vendors inventories every day.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

For me, it'd be too much blue tint. Are you open to buying online? I don't know what your budget is, but these are two examples of stones I'd recommend:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garry was stating that any diamond that is a D color should not contain any tint at all.
Should not...based on the very standards that the grading labs have set for themselves to adhere to.

Garry's clarifying response (very last sentence, in particular):

Unfortunately, some lab grown diamonds with boron blue tinting are being graded as D... definitely by GIA and IGI, and perhaps even GCAL.

One of my responses in that same thread:

There are multiple examples floating around of D color lab diamonds that do exhibit a slight turquoise/blue tint.
I agree with Garry that a D should never have any tint to it, regardless of the color of the tint and the cause of said tint.

I agree 100%. There should be no tint, not even a hint of color, in a D graded diamond. And the standard should not be relaxed for LGDs.

hab818

Rough_Rock
This 2.97 is an E color and it’s got a pretty noticeable blue tint in the video, even to me. I wish these lab reports would be more accurate. Without having seen the video, I would’ve pulled the trigger on the 2.97. Makes me so nervous to go based solely on the report now.

Thanks for the recs Kim N! Unfortunately my boyfriend is sentimentally attached to this vendor and I don’t think he’d be open to online options- if he were, I would’ve jumped on your recs!!

The search continues :(

hab818

Rough_Rock
Reviving this thread to get some more help from you experts. Took a hiatus from looking because of personal/family stuff, but we're back on the hunt!

My local jeweler has this in stock and thinks it looks pretty good. It's CVD which I feel is more risky than HPHT because of the issues with stria and brownness, but previously I've had no luck with my jeweler finding an HPHT that didn't have that blue hue. Please let me know what you guys think!

They also have this in stock that is an HPHT, but I don't currently have a 360 to show y'all. I might be able to get one if you think this is better. InkedLGD_LI.jpg

Both have HCA score 0.9 and "appear big."

We previously wanted >3carats, but in looking at my daily lifestyle and aesthetic we actually would prefer something more in the 2.6-2.8 range. 3.04 might be pushing it a little but I also don't want to miss out on an excellent diamond because of a small size difference.

Thanks so much for your time and help.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Reviving this thread to get some more help from you experts. Took a hiatus from looking because of personal/family stuff, but we're back on the hunt!

My local jeweler has this in stock and thinks it looks pretty good. It's CVD which I feel is more risky than HPHT because of the issues with stria and brownness, but previously I've had no luck with my jeweler finding an HPHT that didn't have that blue hue. Please let me know what you guys think!

They also have this in stock that is an HPHT, but I don't currently have a 360 to show y'all. I might be able to get one if you think this is better. InkedLGD_LI.jpg

Both have HCA score 0.9 and "appear big."

We previously wanted >3carats, but in looking at my daily lifestyle and aesthetic we actually would prefer something more in the 2.6-2.8 range. 3.04 might be pushing it a little but I also don't want to miss out on an excellent diamond because of a small size difference.

Thanks so much for your time and help.

The numbers look great.
Can your jeweler provide ASET or Ideal-Scope images?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
To the 3.04? I will ask!

Does this mean you think the 2.77 is not so great?

Sorry...I was speaking towards the 3.04 carat.
Much better proportions than the 2.77 carat.

hab818

Rough_Rock
Sorry...I was speaking towards the 3.04 carat.
Much better proportions than the 2.77 carat.

Ooo I see. The jeweler is getting it from their other location so I'll upload video/pics when I get them.

Other than poorer proportions, do you see any other red flags to the 2.77?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results