shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on these Hamadana pearls: too big or just right?

Potato_Loupe

Rough_Rock
Hi all- My wife let slip that she wants "something with pearls" this Christmas, and I'm looking to get her something special. What do you all think of this strand?

I think it's beautiful but am a bit concerned it's too matronly or ostentatious, esp given how large the pearls are (9-9.5mm). I'm a jewelry neophyte but read that larger pearls of this type are traditionally for older women--she's no slave to social norms but she is quite feminine and is into the classic/modern look. She's 29 and petite.

Hoping she'll love it now and for years to come. I'm loving that it's on sale now but not sure if it's a good fit so would appreciate any thoughts. Don't want it to only come out of the jewelry cabinet for weddings, etc.

Other thing is length: leaning toward 18" since it can be adjusted (rather than 16") but any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

https://www.pearlparadise.com/collections/shop-by-hanadama-pearls/products/4th-day-of-christmas-sale-8-5-9-0-mm-white-hanadama-akoya-pearl-necklace

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Thoughts on these Hamadana pearls: too big or just right

They are beautiful, but I would rather have these. They are dressy but can be worn everywhere. I would ask if they could slip some more colorful pearls into the center left of the strand. Grandma/matronlly is not usually associated with Tahitian pearls. Her girlfriends will more than likely not own anything like it and she will have a one of a kind, since you selected it.
https://www.pearlparadise.com/collections/shop-by-tahitian-pearls/products/9-0-10-8-mm-aa-aaa-multicolor-tahitian-pearl-necklace

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

They are gorgeous but you may be right about the matronly thing - can you see her wearing them? Do any of her friends wear pearls? I ask because it's a very personal preference.

I'm 29 and my preference is for either long 36"+ ropes or 17-18" tin cups over the more traditional "matronly" 18" necklaces. My absolute favourite pearl type is Tahitian - they come in an incredible array of crazy colours and shapes! I also love blue akoyas- both baroque and round. However I should note that I am almost the only person amongst my friends and peer group at work that wears pearls.

The ladies with more experience here will generally tell you the bigger the better when it comes to pearls. Perhaps it's an age thing but I prefer smaller pearls. My favourite necklaces feature 7-8mm Tahitians and metallic freshwater pearls respectively. My newest necklace is an oval Tahitian strand of 8-10mm pearls. I feel this is too over the top for me as a traditional length necklace. I plan to take it apart and make a long multi colour rope with some other pearls I've collected.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

9.0-9.5mm isn't really all that large. Certainly not matronly!

I bought my daughter an amazing multicolor round Tahitian strand for her 21st birthday but she actually declined it! She said none of her friends were wearing anything like it, and it wasn't her style. Go figure! (My husband loved it so I shortened it and he is wearing it instead.) It's all a matter of taste.

If there were some way to figure out if your wife would prefer classic round white pearls vs. anything else, I would do so.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love it and the tahitians are pretty too. A classic high quality strand is timeless. I like the size too.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

Pearl Paradise does have a generous return policy. You could get them both if you're on the fence and let her pick....

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd love the hanadama strand. It's classic and will never go out of style. It's not matronly at all. Plus, you have time with the 90 day return policy to gift it for Christmas and exchange/return it if it's not what she was thinking of.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

cmd2014 said:
I'd love the hanadama strand. It's classic and will never go out of style. It's not matronly at all. Plus, you have time with the 90 day return policy to gift it for Christmas and exchange/return it if it's not what she was thinking of.

I love the hanadama strand, as well. It's classic and timeless.

But, "something with pearls" is kind of vague! :confused:

Potato_Loupe

Rough_Rock

Thanks! Yes, not much to go on...but she doesn't have very specific taste in jewelry and puts a premium on something magically appearing without her having to do any "work" i.e., shopping and selecting and budgeting etc. I do think she'll love anything she gets.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

I hope we were some help. I live a casual lifestyle and wear Tahitian pearls almost every day. Pendants, or strands. If my husband bought me the strand of Hanadama pearls you were looking at I would maybe wear them once a year. I don't work outside of the house and when I do dress up I wear my Tahitians most times.

Have you looked at Hisano's pearls with gems inside them? (mrs. pearl paradise) They are fanstastic. They are at littlehjewelrydotcom. The Grotto collection has emeralds, sapphires and diamonds inside pearls. They are fantastic. She also has many modern styles in pearls that you don't see anywhere else.

grotto.jpg

Arialle

Rough_Rock

Maybe a diamond pearl pendant instead of a full strand ?
In this way, it can be trendy and pearly at the same time~

Potato_Loupe

Rough_Rock

That is straight up gorgeous. Although I might go with sapphire pendant. Alas, looks like they do standard shipping only and time is running out! However, looks like they stock thru a retailer in my area (San Francisco/Oakland) called Gallery of Jewels so I'm going to contact them tomorrow to see what they carry.

The feedback here has been tremendous although I'm running the risk of paralysis of choice. I'm considering just getting two strands or a strand and a pendant from PP and letting her pick!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

These items are at Pearl Paradise Potato Loupe. Call and ask for Hisano she is at Pearl Paradise and will ship like Pearl Paradise does. She has a huge assortment to choose from in her office there.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

Saw this on Hisano's friend's neck on facebook and asked for a close up. Having a fit over this!

havingafitoverthis.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

NacreLover|1482425827|4109002 said:
Saw this on Hisano's friend's neck on facebook and asked for a close up. Having a fit over this!

WOW!!! Am I sensing a custom version for you in the future??? (if so, I am prepared to ogle).

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

I really love this and it matches my eyes.... I asked her what she used. White diamonds and light to dark sapphires.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

NacreLover|1482425827|4109002 said:

That necklace is stunning. Just the colors on the souffle are crazy, and then adding sapphires and diamonds?! :clap:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results