shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on stone, Clueless GF.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ls7corvete

Rough_Rock
I sent an email to GOG asking for help finding a diamond:
Hello, I am looking for a diamond that will be flawless to the untrained
eye, ie greatest
size/value without sacrificing quality to a layman without loop.
fluorescence is OK, flaws that
can be easily hidden are OK, if you can recommend a good setting to match
the diamond with safely
a thin girdle is also OK.

I am thinking J color, SI1-2 ~2k$US, I am open to all shapes.

Perhaps you can help, I am willing to wait to after valentines to get a
better deal if necessary.

I have attached the cert I got. When I asked SO if she had an opinion on cut/clarity she was clueless, I am not much better so help me out if you dont mind. I am sure there are a few of you who would like to shop vicariously through me. I was surprised to see an H&A diamond, but disappointed in size.

Thoughts on retailers? Thoughts on what to look at in a diamond? I can be flexible on price, shape, 4cs , retailers etc.

ls7corvete

Rough_Rock
ugh, forgot pic.

I264607-s.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
looks nice

ls7corvete

Rough_Rock
Thank you, I hope she feels the same when I decide.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you have more info?

ls7corvete

Rough_Rock
No, just that, pic is cropped for size reasons, nothing else important though, just AGS letterhead. What more should I ask for if I inquire further?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pics

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/loose_detail.php/session/0ed50bc6e55c24cedfd0cab900dadbf6/id/7286264/sz/150

It''s a little over 2000 budget... but it''s LARGE, GIA certed, the numbers are solid, and the color/clarity is right on with what you wanted. I would ask Mark at ERD to call it in for you and check for bowtie and eyecleanliness.

Ovals are less expensive than rounds, per carat... and give you the same/similar spread as rounds... so you don''t lose visual size. It''s got a great l/w ratio and you can set it N/W or east west. Plus ovals aren''t as commonly seen as rounds.

7.31x 5.44 x3.48 is gonna look very impressive.

ls7corvete

Rough_Rock
Interesting, I do wonder what she will think of an oval, and those dimensions are impressive.

ls7corvete

Rough_Rock
how about this one?
http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/loose_detail.php/session/89a8d729588af4a2a7774b6b296c0e34/id/9940495/sz/150

What is bowtie?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

ls7corvete

Rough_Rock
Well I think that I have decided on an oval, I have seen some very nice setting posted and at the sites as well but that is for later.

I have also decided that I want to pay a bit more for the 1ct, she was clueless about the 4cs but she does know she wants a carat so I will not compromise that.

This one is on a couple sites, its not ideal cut if I am reading the chart correctly it is a premium cut though. Does have flouresence but I am on with that.

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/loose_detail.php/session/89a8d729588af4a2a7774b6b296c0e34/id/10000505/sz/150/premium/premium

what do you guys think of buying a EGL USA diamond a couple grades in clarity higher for the same price?
http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=33345985

chrt2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You catch on quickly. They both look promising. I would have ERD call in the one for them... any maybe another with the same parameters... and have Mark check it for eye clean and bowtie and ask for an actual pic of the oval. And I would call abazias and ask them to do the same (including pics).... the clarity is what would worry me about the EGL SI... but as long as your prepared to have your H grade as a J (which it sounds like you are) you should be fine on color.

You''re off to a running start!

ls7corvete

Rough_Rock
From abazia:
Thank you for the request on the 1.01 Oval H SI1. The diamond you have requested is available. I have attached the copy of the certificate to the following email. I noticed, in reviewing the certificate and talking with the Diamond Cutter, that this diamond has inclusions that are visible to the naked eye. These inclusions may be detrimental to the overall brilliance and beauty of the diamond. If you would like to discuss these inclusions further, please feel free to email or call me directly. If you are interested in this diamond and would like to place a no obligation hold on it, while you are considering your options, please reply to this email and state that you would like to place a hold on it and the duration you are requesting.

I must say I am impressed at the quick and imformative response.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. That''s great. So that rules that diamond out. Why don''t you ask them if they have anything eye-clean that fits your spec and budget parameters. I love our honest PS vendors.
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just say that I''d be sure she likes an oval. because if she is expecting a round and it is not, she might be disappointed.

ls7corvete

Rough_Rock
I hope she likes ovals too!

I guess there is a reason they have return periods, she isnt giving me ANY help and I want to keep somewhat of a surprise.

I think the size of the oval will impress her and any other pre-conceived notions will vanish.

ls7corvete

Rough_Rock
newest canidate, alot bigger, again H color but EGL, VS2 should be eye clean even from EGL right?

34144834.jpg

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
EGL USA is a lot more consistent than the other EGL Labs. That Cert is a bit of a red flag for me.

EGL Certed diamonds trade at a discount because of their rep for lack of consistency. The color and/or clarity grades could be off. You could be paying for a H/VS and actually getting an I or J, SI diamond. If you get an accurately graded EGL diamond, you can pick up a bargain.

Also, if this is a list diamond, and it physically is not in the US, you might have to pay a fee to have the diamond brought in. I called about one that happened to be located in Israel and the Vendor was gonna require a $200 fee to call in the diamond. So be sure to ask about that as well.

ls7corvete

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 1:58:38 PM
Author: Finding_Neverland
EGL USA is a lot more consistent than the other EGL Labs. That Cert is a bit of a red flag for me.

EGL Certed diamonds trade at a discount because of their rep for lack of consistency. The color and/or clarity grades could be off. You could be paying for a H/VS and actually getting an I or J, SI diamond. If you get an accurately graded EGL diamond, you can pick up a bargain.

Also, if this is a list diamond, and it physically is not in the US, you might have to pay a fee to have the diamond brought in. I called about one that happened to be located in Israel and the Vendor was gonna require a $200 fee to call in the diamond. So be sure to ask about that as well.

What about the cert is a red flag for you? I am ok with it being an SI1 I/J GIA equivalent as long as it is eye clean. The only thing that worries me is the bowtie effect, also are polish and symetry generaly correctly rated by EGL?

I have already been told it is 35$ to ship it to me or them(not an in house diamond)

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
It''s an EGL European Cert.

EGL USA has worked hard to become more consistent in their grading. The same cannot be said for all the other EGL Labs.

Like when Vendors in the US are fairly certain a diamond will receive a good grade, they submit to GIA or AGS,........ In Europe, the better level Cert would come from HRD.

Here''s a link to a PS article about Grading Labs:

http://grading.pricescope.com/

And here''s a link to info about HRD:

http://www.hrd.be/index.php?id=6

Your chances of getting an accurately graded EGL USA diamond are greater than from the EGL European Lab.

An Oval shape will probably hold and show more body color than a comparable carat weight, well cut RB. In stones of old fashioned type cuts like cushions or old mine or old european, many people perfer I/J/K colored diamonds. Ovals are a different character. It''s a more modern style cut mostly associated with whiter color for rings.

Others more knowledgeable about Oval cuts will help with the bow ties.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

From what I''ve read ... there are ways to figure out bow ties from #''s... but its complicated... and frankly doesn''t compare with actually seeing an oval or a several good pics of one. The one you have there is a long one... and I would personally, not feel comfortable with an EGL europe cert.... unless one of the PS vendors had the stone in front of them. I really strongly advise you to go through ERD, GOG,WF, Exceldiamonds... or one of the other trusted vendors on here. They can get in stones to look at for you and will give you very candid opinions on the diamonds. Please consider calling one of them with your budget and parameters and let them find a stone for you so that they can see it, give you pics and opinions on it before you buy. You are spending a nice amount of money, and this really is the best way to assure that you get the nicest diamond for your lady that you can, within your budget. Please, consider my advise.

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
Call Tracy at Whiteflash 1-877-612-6770 or email her tarneson@whiteflash.com. She is very helpful and will search on your behalf for stones that meet your specs. Also, what I did was go out for like an entire day and just look at diamonds. Go to every store in your area. Ask them how to buy a diamond and listen to them ramble. When they are done ask them to show you different colors and shapes and everything. Thats how I found out I wanted to stay at an I or higher and something between a .65 and .80. Without going out to see what all these numbers and letters mean, that''s really all they are, numbers and letters.

ls7corvete

Rough_Rock
Well I found a jeweler here local that was willing to price match online so I told them to bring in a few diamonds from whiteflash or ERD so I could see some examples. They got in three diamonds and out of the three I choose a GIA cert 1.04 F SI2 cut vg, polish vg, diamond. More details when I get it but I beleive that depth as 63.5, table 57%.

I got to look at it under 90x and even after that I have a very hard time finding the inclusions with the naked eye, they are all white and very small, I am guessing is is the number of them that warrants the SI2 rating. The stone will be set in a simple tiffany white gold setting for now.

Thanks for all the help guys.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
congratulations

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results