shape
carat
color
clarity

Rookie Alert...I need some help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CBurby

Rough_Rock
Ok, well I spent some time doing research online and I can''t believe how helpful this site is! Thanks to everyone for providing so much knowledge to rookies like me, it makes me feel so much better about buying an engagement ring online. That being said, I would like to see what you all think about the ring and stone that I found. I would appreciate it if you could give me some help in finding a better stone if you see something wrong with what I found...

Here is the stone...
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=434395

and here is the ring...

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings.asp?module=setting&cid=57&item=15

I talked to James allen and they said that they could get me the ring in 18K yellow gold, which is what she wants. I personaly like the Platinum, but it''s not for me
emwink.gif

I should also mention that she really wants an oval diamond set horizontally, so picture that when looking at the ring.

Thanks in advance.

Christian

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you asked James Allen to pull the stone and see if it's eye clean-- and if it has a bowtie?
3.gif

ETA: Set like this? east/ west?

cluster%20jewelry%20oval.JPG

CBurby

Rough_Rock
No I have not, I didn''t realize that James Allen could actually pull the stone. I figured they don''t carry the actual inventory and they just order them through their supplier. As for a bowtie, I don''t even know what that is, so I definitely wouldn''t have thought to ask them about it. Like I said, I am a rookie and that is why I haven''t gone ahead and purchased this set. I wanted to get some opinions on it before I made the leap and purchased it.

Thanks for your help.

CBurby

Rough_Rock
Yes, that''s the direction that I would like for it to be set. I figured an oval set like that would only look good as a solitaire.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If they have the diamond in house they will pull it for you. You can ask for pictures, sarin report and a... oh crap... I forgot what the red pictures are called (anyone???)... and you should.

Here are some helpful threads on ovals... that will tell you about bowties... how to spot them... and how to possibly avoid them.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ovals-w-o-bowtie.36732/=

Information from various threads:

To avoid the typical 'bowtie' in a diamond, the depth of the pavilion should be between 43 and 48% of the girdle WIDTH (ref: 'Faceting Limits', G&G, Fall 1975).
If the cutter tries to make the 'culet' come to a point, the slopes of the end facets will become too shallow. For good results, look for an oval with a wedge-shaped pavilion - a ridge instead of a point.
The azimuths (rotational angles at which the facets are cut) are also important to beauty of an oval-cut stone; this is a factor often misunderstood by cutters.

120c.JPG

To avoid a bow tie try find oval with split main pavilion facets in min. diameter.

Ovals can be quite beautiful. The bowtie effect is something which can be minimized, but never truly eliminated completely. But that's part of my argument against light return stats for many diamonds. The unique sparkle of an oval has the bowtie as part of it's characteristics. And ovals, by thier very nature ( ever try cutting an oval shaped pie into 8 equal slices) are not perfectly symmetrical.

ETA: RED PICTURES ARE CALLED IDEAL SCOPE.... and you should ask for all of these pictures (and post them here if you like for us to comment on) before you buy. James Allen is a good vendor and will totally understand your request. Just tell him your a PSer!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

CBurby

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all the help, I will make sure to read those articles. By the way, did you get a chance to take a look at the ring I picked out? I am curious to hear what you all think of that ring set with an oval (east & west) in 18K yellow. I prefer platinum, but most of her jewelry is in yellow gold, so that''s why she would prefer 18K yellow.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 11:25:16 PM
Author: Gypsy
If they have the diamond in house they will pull it for you. You can ask for pictures, sarin report and a... oh crap... I forgot what the red pictures are called (anyone???)... and you should.
Idealscope
2.gif

Definitely find out about the bowtie.
I love an east-west ring (I have one myself) but I have to say, I am not in love with the setting that you chose for an E/W ring. I guess it just doesn't look like it would suit it to me. I don't think it would look bad by any means, I just think you could find something a little more flattering.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 11:41:15 PM
Author: CBurby
Thanks so much for all the help, I will make sure to read those articles. By the way, did you get a chance to take a look at the ring I picked out? I am curious to hear what you all think of that ring set with an oval (east & west) in 18K yellow. I prefer platinum, but most of her jewelry is in yellow gold, so that's why she would prefer 18K yellow.
fIRST:
RED PICTURES ARE CALLED IDEAL SCOPE.... and you should ask for all of these pictures (and post them here if you like for us to comment on) before you buy. James Allen is a good vendor and will totally understand your request. Just tell him your a PSer!

Second. Well, you are looking at an F. Which is fabulous... I wouldn't set that in YG prongs. I'd get WG or Platinum prongs on a YG setting (will look fine, done all the time) so that the F doesn't get tinted. But other than that... she's got to love it so.. why not. PERSONALLY for east west ovals I like 1/2 bezel settings like the one in the picture I posted above, but like I said, that's me. I've seen prong set east west ovals and they look amazing too, though. The band is pretty and has nice detailing so I think it's a nice choice. Did you ask them if setting it with an east west oval head would be okay? If they said it's not a problem... I think it's lovely. Very feminine.

ETA: Sorry didn't look at the thickness of the band initially. For a diamond with 5.75 width set east/ west I think 3.5 mm is a bit thick. I'd see if I could find a band under or around 3mm I liked.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
what about something like this, with an oval?

ovalew.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
or this from dirt cheap diamonds (sorry can't find oval pictures, have to imagine)?

ovalew2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Or this: other than the one I posted above (which is a 1/2 bezel setting... not a prong setting) this is my favorite east west oval ring. A thin band will make the oval you are looking at POP! (this one is a pave band... which you could have James Allen make for you... their custom settings are very reasonable from what's said on here). This one is prong set (like the one you were looking at). You could also have James Allen custom make a plain east west solitare band.

pave oval 374.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were in the market for an oval...I''d pick a vendor. I''d ask said vendor if he has a good oval supplier. If it''s a yes, then I''d tell the vendor what I''m looking for and have him look for me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 12:05:26 AM
Author: JulieN
If I were in the market for an oval...I''d pick a vendor. I''d ask said vendor if he has a good oval supplier. If it''s a yes, then I''d tell the vendor what I''m looking for and have him look for me.

This is great advice. Honestly, I''d do the same thing (right after Julie reminded me to!).

CBurby

Rough_Rock
So I take it Ovals are a pretty tricky diamond and you need to be extra careful when purchasing one. Not that there is anything wrong with them, it''s just that you have to consider these items noted above. This will be quite helpful for me in my search for the right ring.

I should mention that I messed up in my earlier post, I didn''t mean to say that the setting would be in 18KY. I meant that the ring would be in 18KY and the setting would be in platinum or white gold, most likely platinum.

I guess what I am looking for is something right along the lines of what I posted. I don''t want the band to be too detailed, nor does she. I know that she wants something that is unique, but still somewhat classic looking. She also doesn''t really know much about diamonds, so would I be better off saving some money and dropping down a notch from the E-F range? If I can save myself a few bucks, that just means we can have a better vacation! Let me know what you think and if you believe I can get a great diamond at a lower price, please tell me.

Many Thanks!
Christian

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Even though most of her jewelry is in YG, I think plat is so much better for an ering. Especially if you are going for a great color. I think the ering can stand alone, meaning it does not have to "match" all of the the rest of her stuff, and maybe in life, over time, she will start to get some things in plat or white gold! Just mho, since though I like yellow gold, I just think platinum sets of the stone better

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what makes ovals more difficult is that they are basically stretched out rounds.

and if she wants yg, she''ll have yg! I do not suggest stones with blue flour in yg, though, unless she likes to wear blue.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 12:24:06 AM
So I take it Ovals are a pretty tricky diamond and you need to be extra careful when purchasing one. Not that there is anything wrong with them, it's just that you have to consider these items noted above. This will be quite helpful for me in my search for the right ring.

I should mention that I messed up in my earlier post, I didn't mean to say that the setting would be in 18KY. I meant that the ring would be in 18KY and the setting would be in platinum or white gold, most likely platinum.

I guess what I am looking for is something right along the lines of what I posted. I don't want the band to be too detailed, nor does she. I know that she wants something that is unique, but still somewhat classic looking. She also doesn't really know much about diamonds, so would I be better off saving some money and dropping down a notch from the E-F range? If I can save myself a few bucks, that just means we can have a better vacation! Let me know what you think and if you believe I can get a great diamond at a lower price, please tell me.

Many Thanks!
Christian

Well I think you can go down to G, H. I mean... you can go down to I too, I guess. But I would go to a local store and ask them to pull a ROUND F and I and compare them before you go with I. As for saving yourself money. If your lady asked for unique... and since she does want an east west oval... PERSONALLY (again, this is just my opinion) I'd put the money toward a custom setting for your oval. Something thinner than the band you are looking for (which really is too thick for THAT diamond)-- OR ig you want a nicer vacation
2.gif
, and LOVE the setting... I would look for an oval with a LOWER LENGTH TO WIDTH RATIO-- the one you are looking at has a 1.45 L/W ratio. Which means that it's skinny and long. I would stick to something with a length to width ratio between 1.25 and 1.33. These will be fatter so they will be able to stand up to your band.

I would call up James Allen if you are comfortable with them... or WF if you like them at all, they both have nice ovals... tell them your budget and tell them what you want and have them find it for you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/15/2006 12:36:11 AM
Author: JulieN

and if she wants yg, she'll have yg! I do not suggest stones with blue flour in yg, though, unless she likes to wear blue.
Julie I have a diamond with fluorescence in YG and I rarely wear blue....could you elaborate please?
1.gif
What is the problem here? I don't have one with my diamond at all, just don't want to close in the OP's options
2.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, that's probably my own personal bias. It depends on why someone wears yellow gold, and why they have a stone with flour?

I personally think blue and yellow clash, that's all, although it'd be a good combo for someone blonde and blue-eyed.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Julie!
35.gif
Out of interest with my diamond I am sure the flourescence makes it face up whiter and in my eyes it looks great in YG, but like with anything it is subject to personal preference. ETA - also as the effects of fluorescence aren't always observed in a diamond, you might not notice it anyway.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Of the last 2 diamonds you posted, the first diamond is too deep. It will just face up smaller than it is. The second has only good symmetry which would personally drive me crazy but it can be hard to find a VG symmetry in a fancy cut. Really, just looking at those numbers, we have no idea if the diamond has a bow tie. I would choose 1 or 2 vendors, let them know what your budget and criteria are, and let them begin searching for you.

CBurby

Rough_Rock
Well I spoke with David at Abazias and he was quite helpful in find me the right diamond. Let me know what you think of the diamond that he has found..

http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=30001936

He also mentioned to me that I may end up with too much information from all of you! It sounds like people know not to mess with pricescopers!

Thanks again.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is no such thing as too much information. I don't know David... but that's not a comment that makes me have any confidence in him. Good vendors APPRECIATE well educated customers with a good idea of EXACTLY what they want.

And that oval isn't one I'd buy. 'Good' as a rating for polish and symmetry are NOT good. You want VG for both at least. Trust me. Give this one a pass. L/W ratio is good on it though. Don't like the girdle on it.

Have you called Mark at www.engagementringsdirect.com? Give him a call or James Allen or Whiteflash. These are vendors that understand what pricescopers except in terms of quality and have no problem with our standards.

Just drop Mark at ERD this email:

Hi Mark, I'm a pricescope member looking for an oval diamond for an engagement ring and Layla recommended I get in touch with you. I am looking for a diamond around 1.2 carats, F-H in color -- eyeclean in clarity with no bowtie and a length to width ratio between 1.25-1.33. Can you help me find the right diamond for this ring? My budget is ________ for a diamond and I obviously want the best cut, brightest oval I can get for the money (VG polish and symmetry please).

Thanks,

YOUR NAME.

Here's the email: (ETA! WHOOPS!) [email protected]

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/15/2006 1:50:31 PM
He also mentioned to me that I may end up with too much information from all of you! It sounds like people know not to mess with pricescopers!
You know what''s funny is that we haven''t even told you anything... it''s all been common sense so far... that is to develop a good relationship with someone who knows what good cut is.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to throw my 2 cents in here, although it may not count for much. I disagree with the people who are saying that good symmetry isn''t good. From what I''ve read on here, experts have said that someone who''s not in the jewelry business, and maybe even some people who are can''t tell the difference between good symmetry and polish and very good or excellent symmetry and polish. Maybe for a step-cut stone like an asscher or an emerald cut, polish and symmetry should be very good or better. But I know my radiant is only good symmetry and polish, and it''s an extremely beautiful stone. Nice looking fancy cuts are so hard to find that I wouldn''t limit the search to only stones that have very good polish and symmetry and better. Otherwise, it starts to be a needle in a haystack search. I personally would buy an oval with good symmetry and polish, and I seriously considered buying an oval stone for a while.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's one to ask about for sure.

http://www.whiteflash.com/oval/Oval-cut-diamond-2347518.htm

I'd call WF and ask them if it's eye clean and if it's got a bowtie. As long as it's eye clean I'd ask for an Ideal Scope image, a few regular shots and a sarin report as well as a copy of the GIA report. I would also as them if any of the inclusions are dangerous... in a dangerous spot. It's in your budget and it looks great so far. (Even if it's got a bow tie... it may not be a bad bow tie... ask).

And remember WF has a PS discount!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhhh, I LIKE the specs on the one that Gypsy just posted! And with a 1.33 L/W it''s gonna be one happy chunky monkey of an oval (which I also like as opposed to the long skinny ones)!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results