shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on purchasing vintage old mine cut ring

Funnyface850

Rough_Rock
Premium
I need some guidance on this ring I’m considering for an anniversary gift.
The ring is being held for me but I’m waiting on a report back from world gemological institute. The seller claims the ring is vintage with French hallmarks platinum and the center stone measuring 1.1 ( still waiting back for the official stats on it). The center stone is surrounded in what appears to be Rose cut diamonds ( not sure their stats either) when you zoom in you can see some inclusions. The ring is my size so no changes needed. The return policy seems straight forward has to be back in hand 21 days since over seas. The price is right under 5K. Is this an okay deal? Ive always wanted a true Art Deco engagement ring but most of the ones I like are at least 10k. Ive been in the market but more looking at single stones 1.25 range and thinking of going plain Jane for my ring. I have a custom .73 princess cut with micopave and halo engagement ring but don’t wear it as it’s too tall and the band is thicker.

If stats are good VS center ? Should I go for it. I know it will be hard to get exact grading since it’s set. Should I pass on this and just go big and go home And keep to my original plan? 1.25 center stone and plain band even if I might have to wait to set it. I also didn‘t want to spend more than 5K just out of guilt looking In my jewelry box of things I no longer wear.

Thank you so much in advance
! A1E05DA3-7670-44DE-BAF7-7FD2D3D774ED.jpeg 6416D219-1173-4EA7-BD2B-4896966634D9.png E95365D7-02AA-4BBC-A9DE-675C7C8E390E.png 99CCB0A7-1D48-4DDE-954E-47CC53BF9996.jpeg 28985F70-BB13-4F7F-970C-AD68E622B565.jpeg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The return policy concerns me. You only have control over when you post it, not how fast the carrier and customs work. I would propose to the seller that the return policy is that you post it within 7d of receipt.
I can’t tell if you are being practical in your budget or settling because you mention guilt over unworn pieces. If your heart is set on something else and you are most attracted to the price of this one then I think you will find fault with it over time. If you love this piece it does have a lot of finger coverage for the price. I can’t tell from the pics how sparkly the rose cuts would be. If the center diamond is a sparkler and the rose cuts not would you be happy with that?
Regarding the guilt over unworn pieces, our tastes change over time and it is natural that we don’t wear the same things forever. If you occasionally wear them enjoy them for that. If you don’t wear them at all anymore perhaps redesign them into something you would wear, sell them or gift them.

Funnyface850

Rough_Rock
Premium
That is a good point I would hate if the ring got held up in customs before I was able to inspect it. I definitely will contact the seller about the 7 days of receipt to see what she says. With the concerns over the price I'm trying to be practical in my budget. I have the funds to spend more but I don't really want to do that even though its there. My tastes have changed and my current ring is not me so she sits. Im a nurse and don't need anything crazy but want something I can enjoy for years to come. I would be disappointed if the center stone was not the same quality as the rosecuts. I hope ill have more qualification when the report comes back if not I would have to pass on the ring. I think your right about finding fault in it. As I type this I wonder if I'm already second guessing myself. I love the coverage and how low it appears to sit & the price definitely is attractive in my eyes. All that being said is it timeless? The seller was kind enough to send me some more photos & a video this morning which I can post it looks better than what I original posted. Since you mentioned rehabbing old pieces I could use my owd old European cut studs I have and do a three stone to get more coverage. Its an option since I don't wear them a lot. I appreciate your honesty and your right I might be just settling for the moment and not be truly happy in the long run. IMG_20201017_091459_289.jpg

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
It‘s a very pretty ring! Tell us what you decided!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Are you considering taking out the center to make a 3 stone with your earrings? If so then I'd look for one that's already loose instead of taking this diamond out of the mounting.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a good point I would hate if the ring got held up in customs before I was able to inspect it. I definitely will contact the seller about the 7 days of receipt to see what she says. With the concerns over the price I'm trying to be practical in my budget. I have the funds to spend more but I don't really want to do that even though its there. My tastes have changed and my current ring is not me so she sits. Im a nurse and don't need anything crazy but want something I can enjoy for years to come. I would be disappointed if the center stone was not the same quality as the rosecuts. I hope ill have more qualification when the report comes back if not I would have to pass on the ring. I think your right about finding fault in it. As I type this I wonder if I'm already second guessing myself. I love the coverage and how low it appears to sit & the price definitely is attractive in my eyes. All that being said is it timeless? The seller was kind enough to send me some more photos & a video this morning which I can post it looks better than what I original posted. Since you mentioned rehabbing old pieces I could use my owd old European cut studs I have and do a three stone to get more coverage. Its an option since I don't wear them a lot. I appreciate your honesty and your right I might be just settling for the moment and not be truly happy in the long run. IMG_20201017_091459_289.jpg

The main stone has yummy faceting from what I can see in this photo. I too would be concerned about the 21 day in hand return policy. As stated you have zero control over the post.

As for this ring can you share the videos you have so we can see it in action? From this photo you shared above it looks quite lovely.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow it is beautiful! Maybe I can buy it if you pass on it ;-)

Jk

What’s making you second guess it? The quality or the style?

Funnyface850

Rough_Rock
Premium
Are you considering taking out the center to make a 3 stone with your earrings? If so then I'd look for one that's already loose instead of taking this diamond out of the mounting.

No, if I purchase it will be staying as is. My other option is to look for a loose stone maybe contact Adam at owd where I purchased my earrings from

Funnyface850

Rough_Rock
Premium
Should I be concerned about the grading of the center stone being vs2 I've been reading where the igi isn't as strict as ags or gia and to expect a lower stone. I definitely don't want a si stone

Funnyface850

Rough_Rock
Premium
The main stone has yummy faceting from what I can see in this photo. I too would be concerned about the 21 day in hand return policy. As stated you have zero control over the post.

As for this ring can you share the videos you have so we can see it in action? From this photo you shared above it looks quite lovely.

I've tried to upload a video but it won't let me it says its not supported I don't know what I'm doing wrong?

Funnyface850

Rough_Rock
Premium
Wow it is beautiful! Maybe I can buy it if you pass on it ;-)

Jk

What’s making you second guess it? The quality or the style?

I’m a little worried regarding the grading done by world gem institute

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've tried to upload a video but it won't let me it says its not supported I don't know what I'm doing wrong?

Download it to YouTube with an account that doesn’t identify who you are and then link that here.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I’m a little worried regarding the grading done by world gem institute

That's probably no better than a standard appraisal. You can't accurately grade color if it's bezeled, and it looks like J/K based on the videos. Also, I don't think this pricing is that great. I just sold a nice 0.96ct GIA G VVS2 OEC for $3900.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
if you are second guessing before you even have it, then maybe pass?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it is a pretty ring, It appears authentic to me, but there are some really good fakes out there now too.

I like that it is platinum and of French antique design. I like the grace and the delicacy of the setting. (Is it too delicate for your everyday wear? Shank looks quite thin.) I love the center stone with it’s bubbly old mine shape and it’s huge puffy crown. The crown makes this diamond special to me. It appears lively in the video. I do not know about color being a true G. Fortekitty is good with color assessment, she says it could be darker, if you care about that.

In terms of cost, you might be able to buy a similar stone from Parks Fine Group and then make the setting for a little less. This would take effort and might be a PIA. Personally I feel like this ring is closer to what it would cost to make than most. The craftsmanship and design will be hard to match if you DIY, IMO you will have to pick your jeweler wisely.

Let us know what you decide. Personally, I think this ring is pretty, and worth considering if you love it and want to wear it.

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the setting bc it reminds me of a vintage inspired modern halo—that said, the halo rise cuts and The center diamond don’t seem like great performers in terms of brilliance— almost too rugged to Sparkle. For 5k it’s a fair price but you won’t be staring at the price—you will be staring at the ring. I would keep looking.

Funnyface850

Rough_Rock
Premium
I just want to start by saying thank you for everyone's guidance. Even though its a lovely ring I decided to pass on it. I really want something GIA graded or similar. I also took into account that being a nurse I tend to be rough on my jewelry and I wouldn't want something as delicate as this. So I'll be looking at finding an OEC or old mine cut in the 1.15 range to 1.35 and making a three stone ring using my old earrings. I've also decided to up the budge because why lot .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results