shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on oval for first time buyer

kellte2

Rough_Rock
I've spent a lot of time doing research and attempting to get up to speed on diamonds before I make my first ever purchase. My fiancee-to-be is looking for an oval cut diamond to be set in a halo setting. She is also mostly interested in size and would love a 2.0 ct stone. I've put a stone on hold with James Allen as I'm searching for a setting, but I am eager to gain some expert perspective on the stone before I pull the trigger.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/2.01-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-1047704

I've been looking for an eye clean SI1 and H color to maximize value and this appears to be a well cut stone with minimal bowtie effect. However, the more pricescope I read, the more wary I am of feather type inclusions, so I'm curious to hear on the thoughts from people on this forum. Apart from the feathers near the top (as pictured), there is a darker inclusion on the bottom right, but JA has told me that this inclusio will likely be prongable.

I don't want to over-think this, but as a first time buyer, I want to make sure that I've found a relatively good stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the second one better. Can they get you an ASET?

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm also concerned about the black inclusions in the first one. Not to make you crazy about it, but once you see an inclusion you can never "un-see" it. Def don't want your fiancé to be able to spot it, and given the size of the diamond, I think there's a good chance she will.

As far as being "prongable" that only works if that's where the prongs are going. And there's also a little black mark on the bottom left. Otherwise, looks like a nicely cut diamond from the images.

Diamond #2 looks very nice.

kellte2

Rough_Rock
I'm waiting on an ASET image for the 2nd JA diamond, and that diamond is currently on hold.

In the meantime, I've been in discussion with Yekutiel from IDJewely and he currently has the following diamond in stock:

2.01 Oval, GIA H, VS2, EX polish, VG symmetry, Ideal cut (IDJ grade), medium fluorescence

http://idjewelry.com/oval-bd96396.html

Yekutiel's price on this diamond is considerably less than the JA diamond, but I'm concerned about the fluorescence, and, to a certain extent, the VG symmetry as opposed to the JA EX rating on the 2nd posted diamond.

Any thoughts from people that know far more about this than I? I'll post the ASET image of the 2nd JA stone as soon as I receive it.

1213370941-officelight_black-02.jpg

1213370941-idealscope-01.jpg

1213370941-aset_white-01.jpg

1213370941-aset_black__fancy_-01.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's got a bowtie that won't blend. That eliminates it for me.

kellte2

Rough_Rock
I tend to agree. He's looking for some better ovals and I hope to hear back soon. I'll be back when JA gets me their ASET images.

Thanks so much for your input!

kellte2

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all for the continued assistance. I've received a copy of the ASET image for the 2nd James Allen diamond, which is now on hold.

While I'm no expert, the diamond doesn't appear to perform particularly well in the ASET. The rep that transmitted the photo admits that the image of the diamond is of low quality and that "it's cropped at the bottom and some of the image is missing in the upper half of the diamond." The rep further states that the attached image is "not a great indication of how bright the diamond will be, showing what would be interpreted as light leakage." He concludes that the video of the diamond [posted on the JA website] is a much better visual to go by in comparison to the ASET image.

I'll leave the analysis to the experts, but I'm under the impression that the ASET would be a better guidepost for light performance than the videos posted on JA. I liked the look in the video, but I'm unimpressed with the ASET. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

1057303aset.jpg

kellte2

Rough_Rock
JA just let me know that they would be able to produce a better quality ASET image, if need be, but that the diamond was outside of NYC.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks mushy

kellte2

Rough_Rock
Another diamond option from IDJ and Yekutiel. Great clarity rating (IF). H color. 2.06 ct, polish: EX; sym: VG; Fluor: faint

10.05x7.23x4.47

Table: 57
Depth:61.8

Yekutiel is still looking for other potential options, but I wanted to post this to see if anyone had any thoughts. To me, the bowtie seems less pronounced than the previously posted diamond. The clarity is probably overkill, but Yekutiel spoke highly of the stone's face up and it does fall within my budget. Thanks again.

gia_6212644307-officelight_black-01.jpg

gia_6212644307-aset_white-01.jpg

gia_6212644307-aset_black__fancy_-01.jpg

gia_6212644307-idealscope-01.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like this one. Ask about if the bowtie blends and maybe they can make you a nice video.

kellte2

Rough_Rock
Yekutiel @ IDJewelry has graciously provided a video of the diamond pictured above. The video is taken in natural light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL_FkzpUSQg&feature=youtu.be

I liked the ASET and Image Scope images depicted above and I also like the video. Yekutiel and I have kept coming back to this stone throughout the search, but I still wanted to post the video here for input. Gypsy (or anyone else): if you have any thoughts, they'd be greatly appreciated.

Great thanks to all who have contributed to my search!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks lively. The bowtie is going to be visible in some lighting but it looks like it blends well. I would get it, unset, if you are in US. And then see what you think of it in person. It's a nice stone though. Just make sure the bowtie isn't distracting.

kellte2

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, the YouTube compression makes it look slightly more muddled over what he sent me directly.

I am in the US, but I'm curious if setting the stone will increase the appearance of the bowtie. Until I read your post, I was inclined to move on the stone and have it set by IDJewelry. I suppose that I could either have the loose stone sent to me or have it set and invoke the return policy if I'm ulimately unsatisfied.

Thank you very much for all of your help. Not only in this thread, but in so many other oval threads that I've read up to this point. This forum has been a tremendous resource for me as attempted to get up to speed on diamonds for this big purchase, and specifically, your insight on ovals in many, many threads has been extremely informative. Thank you.

kellte2

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyone for providing the very helpful input. Yekutiel and IDJewelry recently sent me the H-IF stone pictured above, and it was a real looker in person. Had it independently appraised by a PriceScope recommended appraiser and the first thing out of her mouth was "who helped you find this stone, it is fantastic." The bowtie is hard to notice unless you go looking for it and it has a nice amount of sparkle, especially for an oval.

I know that I never would have ended up with a stone like this one were it not for the help that I received here on Pricescope. Not only did it help me get in touch with Yekutiel, who has been nothing short of fantastic in working with and sourcing the stone, but the objective opinions that I received here were critical in enabling me to confidently purchase my first diamond. Thank you to all.

Now comes another hard part: selecting a setting. :think:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so happy you love it. We are exceptional with settings. What is your budget and what styles does the wearer like?

kellte2

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1463617801|4033364 said:
I am so happy you love it. We are exceptional with settings. What is your budget and what styles does the wearer like?

I was HOPING to keep the budget under 3k (but I'm hoping for it to be less). She is really dead set on a halo setting. In discussing with Yekutiel, he thinks that white gold would work better in a halo than platinum, and frankly, I'm pretty indifferent toward the metal (as is my girlfriend). Yekutiel even suggested that I consider going 14k white gold due to its whiter color and durability.

Some of the styles that we've looked at have been the Emilya by Canera (modified to work as an oval). I was initially drawn the the flush fit Emilya because my girlfriend will want the wedding band to sit flush against the engagement ring. However, Yekutiel and I have discussed that it seems like this sort of design might be less than ideal from a durability standpoint.

https://www.pricescope.com/files/images/my%20ring%2011.JPG

I liked how the Canera halo hugged the diamond as discussed in this thread ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparison-photos-of-my-victor-canera-sk-leon-ring-setting.166496/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comparison-photos-of-my-victor-canera-sk-leon-ring-setting.166496/[/URL]) It just has a much more delicate look, and the last thing my girlfriend wants is a "chunky" halo.

Aside from that, we are a little torn on how we like the diamond set. I love just the prongs, but I don't want a donut to throw off the flush fit and she isn't too keen on using a spacer ring. Yekutiel proposed a design where the band would connect with the halo, and it is quite attractive. Attached is a video of a similar ring that he'd done in the past.

https://youtu.be/y1b90KzU0v8

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on the either design or materials, I'm very open to hearing them. I haven't much considered the band width and would love to hear some thoughts on that as well. Thanks, Gypsy, for your continued interest in lending partner a hand.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Emilia is going to be a minimum of 4500 and up to 6000k for your stone. Victor's handforged quality COSTS. And you don't have the budget for it, I'm sorry to say.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend 14kt for a halo setting. Platinum really is the best metal for pave, hands down. 14kt is harder and very durable. But with pave you need a STRONG metal, not a hard one. And platinum is the strongest. Read here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-online-retailer-for-a-custom-setting.203660/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-online-retailer-for-a-custom-setting.203660/[/URL]

The best setting for your budget is this one: http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/grace-classic-micro-pave-halo-enagement-ring-bpid-58-18.html (but made for your stone) But it is at the top of your budget. And IDJ can match that for quality, I think.

There is a 3% discount on the cost of the item.
If you wish to pay by wire transfer or cashiers check.

It has great quality and will be nice and delicate but strong.

If you want something less expensive, the best quality for the least price is going to be this Ritani:
https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-platinum/6161 Again, I highly recommend the platinum and that brings you in at $900 dollars less.

:wavey:

The one by Yekutiel is lovely. I would increase the shank width to 2mm even (trust me on this), that one looks to thin for long term durability, and specify platinum and ask if he can do it for 3k. To save costs, you can decrease the amount of pave on that shank to 1/2 eternity instead of the 3/4 that you see in the video (and that will save decent money, usually as less pave is less time). If he can do that in budget, I see no reason not too. He has very good benches that work for him and as long as he guarantees the quality is going to be as durable as possible you are good there.

kellte2

Rough_Rock
Still working through the details on the ring and sent Yekituel the following specs for an engagement setting similar to the one pictured in the video attached above. I brought up the metal issue to Yekituel, but he was pretty adamant about avoiding platinum, and to use his words, many customers have demanded platinum and have come back very unhappy with issues involving bending and it dulling over time. I'm not as concerned about the latter, but I understand that bending can be an issue, especially given that my SO is a very active person. Yekutiel assures me that the 14K would be the best material for this setting, so I guess that I'm slightly confused why there is this dissonance around metals for the halo setting. He stands to make more money on platinum and would be easily able to sell me up to the more expensive material, but I've broached this issue with him several times and he always suggests 14K. Maybe I'm overthinking it (I probably am), but I am inclined to go with his recommendation.

As for the following specs, Yekutiel suggested 1.8 for the shank and 1.8 for the halo, but I'm worried that the halo might be too chunky for my wearer.

Oval halo setting in 14K white gold.
- Shank size: 1.8 mm
- Halo size: 1.5 mm (if this is too thin, we can step it up to 1.7-1.8, but I would really like it to be as delicate as possible)
- Flush fit for wedding band (no donut, please)
- No pave on the prongs supporting the ring
- 2/3 pave down the band
- I keep reading about “Price Scope quality” pave stones, but with the job you did on my oval, I am not concerned.

I've got an email out to him now, but I'm a little curious about the quote that I received for 14K ($2,600), as this seemed a bit high for the material. I know that the pave is labor intensive, but based on my own research and the links provided in this thread, I was expecting platinum CAD/Cast settings to weigh in the high 2s, low 3s, not 14K wg. Am I off my rocker?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
1.5 for the halo is fine if they can do it. But the shank needs to be 1.8. It will not be too chunky. :wavey:

Make sure Yekutiel's bench can do a 1.5 halo. I have a very fine halo, but most benches can't match my halo.

kellte2

Rough_Rock
IDJ really pulled a rabbit out of a hat for me. Not I my did they source an incredible stone, but I am thrilled with the setting they created. I went in armed to the teeth with specifics and they seem to have really nailed it.

Gypsy, thanks for providing so much guidance through this process. I was totally clueless before I began to dig into the resources on this forum, and I am sure that I wouldn't have ended up with such a great piece were it not for my decision to create an account on this website. Thank you for your help both in this thread and in so many other oval posts that you've created as a member here.

Huge thanks to Yekutiel and idjewelry for the way they dealt with me. It was a seamless experience from start to finish and that can be solely attributed to Yekituel and his team. I would not hesitate to go back for future jewelry purchases.

Upon receipt of the ring, I'll post a thorough, positive review of my experience in dealing with this wonderful vendor. And hand pics, of course, when I finally give it to my girlfriend. Until then, here's a video of the completed project.

https://youtu.be/mVqvlz-9ZaU

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG. It looks truly fantastic.

He did pull a rabbit out of the hat for you didn't he???

You are more than welcome. I am so happy you are happy! I can't wait for handshots!

YAHOO. And CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE GETTING ENGAGED!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1465963500|4044184 said:
OMG. It looks truly fantastic.

He did pull a rabbit out of the hat for you didn't he???

You are more than welcome. I am so happy you are happy! I can't wait for handshots!

YAHOO. And CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE GETTING ENGAGED!

Agreed--it's seriously gorgeous! So happy this worked out for you! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results