shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on my Cathedral Channel Setting CAD/Model from JannPaul?

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
12.jpg 12.jpg 11.jpg 10.jpg 9.jpg 8.jpg 7.jpg 6.jpg 5.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 91

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
Setting design:
- tapering from 2.21mm
- with a channel setting using lab grown princess cut melees
- towards the crown, the last diamond to be round with prongs holds it.
- 6 prongs sharp tip prongs
- cathedral

Diamond 2.6-2.7 Decagon

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Lucky lady! I think it's beautiful. Do you have to wait for it to be grown?? I'm waiting for a 3 stone EC, lab and a pair of 1.7 decagon lab earrings. Have about 4-5 more months to go!!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Lucky lady! I think it's beautiful. Do you have to wait for it to be grown?? I'm waiting for a 3 stone EC, lab and a pair of 1.7 decagon lab earrings. Have about 4-5 more months to go!!

Sorry. I bounce between Rocky Talk and Lab and got mixed up!! At least you don't have to wait!

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
Sorry. I bounce between Rocky Talk and Lab and got mixed up!! At least you don't have to wait!

Still waiting. how many months have you waited? I'm almost a month into waiting, but prob will need 5-6 months

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Setting design:
- tapering from 2.21mm
- with a channel setting using lab grown princess cut melees
- towards the crown, the last diamond to be round with prongs holds it.
- 6 prongs sharp tip prongs
- cathedral

Diamond 2.6-2.7 Decagon

Hi!
Have you seen the mounting in real life? Or a video?
I'm uncertain about the last diamond towards the crown ...round with prongs after princess in a channel setting!?!? Will it be aesthetically pleasant?
I 'd do with all princess in a channel setting or all rounds in a channel bead setting.
Just my taste.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the prongs but I (not my ring so please don't take offense) hate the prong arrangement--I prefer the 12:00/6:00 position on a 6 prong.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks nice. I guess the last stone in the shank is to be round due to the pointed end of the cathedral? Seems odd
that you would have princess and then switch to round but I'm not sure if anyone will know but you. By prong set of this
last stone I'm guessing you mean bead set?

I think you (or the CAD designer) are going with this prong arrangement so that the cathedral has somewhere to land and
isn't left hanging in the air (which looks weird and unfinished IMO).

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
Hi!
Have you seen the mounting in real life? Or a video?
I'm uncertain about the last diamond towards the crown ...round with prongs after princess in a channel setting!?!? Will it be aesthetically pleasant?
I 'd do with all princess in a channel setting or all rounds in a channel bead setting.
Just my taste.

It'll be a bead setting for the last diamond - from the rendering it looks good. The reason why we're not doing all princess is because I want the tapered look and they aren't able to get a smaller princess cut for the end... Other option is to leave it as platinum with no channel towards the tapered section. Next is the wax model, but I'm not sure if it would show clearly how the end result would look.

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
I love the prongs but I (not my ring so please don't take offense) hate the prong arrangement--I prefer the 12:00/6:00 position on a 6 prong.

I think it'll be a bead at the end, or I'm wondering if they're able to squeeze the round in the channel.

As for the positioning, I had both choices, but I feel like it'll appear that there is less metal from the top view as 9/3 position will be ontop of the setting itself.

I've included the 12/6 position below. 1.jpg 2.jpg

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
I think it looks nice. I guess the last stone in the shank is to be round due to the pointed end of the cathedral? Seems odd
that you would have princess and then switch to round but I'm not sure if anyone will know but you. By prong set of this
last stone I'm guessing you mean bead set?

I think you (or the CAD designer) are going with this prong arrangement so that the cathedral has somewhere to land and
isn't left hanging in the air (which looks weird and unfinished IMO).

It'll be a bead setting for the last diamond - from the rendering it looks good.

The reason why we're not doing all princess is because I want the tapered look and they aren't able to get a smaller princess cut for the end...

Other option is to leave it as platinum with no channel towards the tapered section. Next is the wax model, but I'm not sure if it would show clearly how the end result would look.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I think it'll be a bead at the end, or I'm wondering if they're able to squeeze the round in the channel.

As for the positioning, I had both choices, but I feel like it'll appear that there is less metal from the top view as 9/3 position will be ontop of the setting itself.

I prefer this one.
I 'd go with all princess diamonds o the channel setting, something like this
035-00347-round-brilliant-cut-solitaire-diamond-engagement-ring-6-pear-shaped-claws-on-princes...jpg

Attachments

• 035-00347-round-brilliant-cut-solitaire-diamond-engagement-ring-6-pear-shaped-claws-on-princes...jpg
    035-00347-round-brilliant-cut-solitaire-diamond-engagement-ring-6-pear-shaped-claws-on-princes...jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 5

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
I prefer this one.
I 'd go with all princess diamonds o the channel setting, something like this

thicker prongs nad looks a bit thicker/bulkier around the head area, wanted something more modern looking

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
thicker prongs nad looks a bit thicker/bulkier around the head area, wanted something more modern looking

I think you got me wrong: I said I like the 6/12 mounting better (the one you posted) but I suggested to use only princess diamonds on the channel (like this picture)

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I like it very much, very elegant. The round bead set taper doesn't bother me at all it has nice flow. I think the prong rotation is intentional to meet the shoulders for streamlining. The only thing left to check is basket height, and you won't know how you feel until you get a mold.

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
I like it very much, very elegant. The round bead set taper doesn't bother me at all it has nice flow. I think the prong rotation is intentional to meet the shoulders for streamlining. The only thing left to check is basket height, and you won't know how you feel until you get a mold.

Thank you - yeah I think she would want it to be flush/stackable so I'll keep that in mind

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

This version makes my heart sing.

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
This version makes my heart sing.

Got the other orientation made with model... will see, s.o. wants the ring to orient so it looks like there's less metal and more diamond exposed.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I vote 12-6

TeeSquared

Rough_Rock
I think for your prong design, my vote is for a 9-3 prong position but rotate the diamond 18 degrees so the prong tips don't cover the arrow (exactly as in your opening post). Are the prongs in the 5-7 and 1-11 positions standalone, not connected to the other prongs or halo? You might want to ask about prong stability.

I don't think you should worry about princess vs round. For comparison, mine was a 1.7mm band thickness and I have decagon melees. Despite being able to make out the melees on the wax model, I can not make out any details on the actual ring whatsoever. I was going cross-eyed. I was only able to see it once I put it under a 10x microscope.

Maybe you can ask if they have a ring of similar width and channel with melees already set. Just a way to put some context to your wax model since the renderings are a totally blown up view.

I think I also replied to one of your comments on another post about importing and duty.

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
I think for your prong design, my vote is for a 9-3 prong position but rotate the diamond 18 degrees so the prong tips don't cover the arrow (exactly as in your opening post). Are the prongs in the 5-7 and 1-11 positions standalone, not connected to the other prongs or halo? You might want to ask about prong stability.

I don't think you should worry about princess vs round. For comparison, mine was a 1.7mm band thickness and I have decagon melees. Despite being able to make out the melees on the wax model, I can not make out any details on the actual ring whatsoever. I was going cross-eyed. I was only able to see it once I put it under a 10x microscope.

Maybe you can ask if they have a ring of similar width and channel with melees already set. Just a way to put some context to your wax model since the renderings are a totally blown up view.

I think I also replied to one of your comments on another post about importing and duty.

Appreciate the feedback and your notes on the tax/duty - the sales rep is going to apply for tax exempt for me - the whole thing seems complicated.

Waiting game is pending.

The Prongs in 5-7 and 1-11 are standalone but I think it'll be secure like many time-less six prog standalones from the ring.

As for rotating the diamond, I think this is the only orientation that would not cover any of the arrows - we tried rotating a few ways but the 3-9 prongs will end up blocking the arrows.

The 2.2 Channel look is the one s.o. actually preferred and she was not deterred by the number of people suggesting 6-12 prong orientation, but thank you for your vote.

I don't think they have any channel pre-set, only pave, but we went to test out a few at James Allen/Brilliant Earth.

I think this will definitely look unique, timeless, and elegant.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I like your setting just as you posted it in the first photos. The shank coming to a point at the end of the cathedral is very streamlined and elegant. I may be biased, however, as my engagement ring had a similar shank :D
I also feel that the prong setting at 6 and 12 o’clock works nicely as well.

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
Diamonds been cut, setting is ready. Just need to combine the 2... so excited.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post pics when you get it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks amazing @ssaratan ! Well done!

Now we want hand pics when you give it to her! (we're never satisfied are we???):lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results