AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m loving the Oval hearts and arrows!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone!

First time poster here :) I’ve started my diamond research journey a few weeks back and have learned tons reading the forum. Issue though is I’m not close to deciding what I want and from whom I want to buy the engagement ring. Most interesting I’ve learned through the process is JannPaul’s innovation in the way their diamonds are cut. Have you guys heard or considered their newest creation, the Decagon?

I’m tempted but will have to allocate 8.5% on duties alone from the budget since I live in Canada.

Otherwise, considering buying from Whiteflash/Jamesallen if the local jewellers can’t provide the info needed to make an informed purchase.
Anyone else ask feel like you’ve researched too much and now feel the need to ask for the ASET, Idealscope and hearts images along with video before considering any diamond?

Stunningly beautiful

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
I was at the JP just now to view their Decagon offerings, yes very sparkly and less chunkier. I love the designs of their ring settings too...very unique.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I was at the JP just now to view their Decagon offerings, yes very sparkly and less chunkier. I love the designs of their ring settings too...very unique.

That's cool! You are talking about the facets being less chunkier right? Did this make it too splintery, or hard to catch big enough facet reflections to show the colored flashes? We wonder how differently it performs in video & real life?

Junc80

Rough_Rock
How is this any different than a solasfera if they both claim 10 hearts and arrows?

Junc80

Rough_Rock
How is this any different than a solasfera if they both claim 10 hearts and arrows?

I see that both are 10 hearts and arrows but solasfera has 91 facets and decagon 111 facets. Maybe one of the experts can weigh in on what that might mean for visual differences?

Junc80

Rough_Rock
I see that both are 10 hearts and arrows but solasfera has 91 facets and decagon 111 facets. Maybe one of the experts can weigh in on what that might mean for visual differences?

Posting another post to my post here lol. Their site says 111 facets and then says 121 facets. I do not know which of their information is the real one

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock

was the faceting pattern "less chunkier" ??

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
That's cool! You are talking about the facets being less chunkier right? Did this make it too splintery, or hard to catch big enough facet reflections to show the colored flashes? We wonder how differently it performs in video & real life?

Hi Double E, they are not splintery. There are simply more "slimmer" colored flashes. It is what they have demonstrated in their videos, just that we get to see it "live" based on the preferred carat sizes which I am interested in.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock

They are slightly different if you focus hard enough. My husband commented that to a lay man, these are just very beautiful diamonds.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Posting another post to my post here lol. Their site says 111 facets and then says 121 facets. I do not know which of their information is the real one

Oh that's a good question. Our engagement was not a long one, we just walked in since we were enjoying the Christmas lights up at the Orchard road. Maybe I will post the question to them when we are going down again.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
was the faceting pattern "less chunkier" ??

Yes, less chunkier; slightly slimmer faceting, but many "tiny bursts of light", for the lack of better word. They are simply a different kind of beautiful diamonds.

I personally feel that Decagon has a very edgy look and I love their hearts and arrows cushion cuts too.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!

I am surprised that these diamonds haven’t been discussed widely on this forum.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
I did ask JannPaul about Decagon price 2weeks ago. And I don’t think I want to pay the price. I mean the price premium is too much from ACA, HPD, CIH and even BGD. I cannot justify the premium price as I can get wonderful wonderful diamonds from super ideal vendors I mentioned above. I will quote their reply to me:

“a Decagon Cut 10 Hearts & Arrows (111 facets), 2ct+, G Colour VS will range from USD 33,000 (including 7% GST).”

That is an exact reply from them. As 2.114 G VS2 would exactly cost $26675. I cannot justify to pay $4-5000 extra with decagon.
With $33k I can get a 2ct D-F VS2 ACA why would I get a G with the same price?

for me personally, with $33K I can get this:

I can’t justify why I got much much smaller with same amount of money.
With Decagon the size difference would be like this, and this one is size &price difference between G&H too:
*the G is GIA 3ex

48D9DA7F-1DB0-4E61-B50A-BA9BF5E97863.jpeg

Last edited:

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
I did ask JannPaul about Decagon price 2weeks ago. And I don’t think I want to pay the price. I mean the price premium is too much from ACA, HPD, CIH and even BGD. I cannot justify the premium price as I can get wonderful wonderful diamonds from super ideal vendors I mentioned above. I will quote their reply to me:

“a Decagon Cut 10 Hearts & Arrows (111 facets), 2ct+, G Colour VS will range from USD 33,000 (including 7% GST).”

That is an exact reply from them. As 2.114 G VS2 would exactly cost $26675. I cannot justify to pay $4-5000 extra with decagon.
With $33k I can get a 2ct D-F VS2 ACA why would I get a G with the same price?

for me personally, with $33K I can get this:

I can’t justify why I got much much smaller with same amount of money.
With Decagon the size difference would be like this, and this one is size &price difference between G&H too:
*the G is GIA 3ex

48D9DA7F-1DB0-4E61-B50A-BA9BF5E97863.jpeg

I am confused.. Why would you ask for the price of a Decagon (a completely different cut) and compare it with the ACA from white flash when they are 2 different type of diamond cutting?

JP also carries SIC for round shaped diamonds and they are cheaper than a decagon.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
I am confused.. Why would you ask for the price of a Decagon (a completely different cut) and compare it with the ACA from white flash when they are 2 different type of diamond cutting?

JP also carries SIC for round shaped diamonds and they are cheaper than a decagon.

I asked for Super Ideal & Decagon but they only answered me with Decagon price :lol-2:
The point in my previous post is just saying, a diamond is a diamond, we all looking for a beautiful diamond so we’re willing to pay such expensive price for it, correct? And my point is, regardless of if its being a Decagon or super ideal diamonds from many vendors include JannPaul or GIA 3exs but we all looking for that flashes of light in that tiny stone, no? Thats what we’re looking for when we’re buying a MRB or even a Decagon (they’re making Decagon based on MRB and modify it for a better light performance,yes?)
And I’m simply saying, as beautiful as a Decagon would be (compared to super ideal MRB) I cannot justify the premium price, as I can get a very very very much alive MRB with spectacular light performance for much less, and with the same amount of money I can get better color or bigger size. Everyone have their own preferences, some CAN justify the premium price and some don’t, and I belong to the later.
My point is, I would rather go with MRB from any super ideal vendors (include JannPaul) and get the one that have best price. Maybe if I’m getting less than a carat I would get Decagon as the price difference is not significant but since I’m looking for a 3ct, the price difference is not something I am willing to pay.

Last edited:

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Arrh I understand! I will probably feel the same way too. :)

It seems like JP has this practice of pushing for their newly released products. Perhaps u could remind them again ask for the SIC MRB prices again: they have 8 H&A and 10 H&A variations for the SIC MRB.

Honestly, I wasn't sold on getting a Decagon or Octagon until I have seen them in action with my own eyes. The way they sparkle is very different and unique...
Here are some videos I have taken (the previous post I have made was moved elsewhere- so I am posting the videos here).

Octagon vs

Decagon (pay attention to the middle part)

However, that also begets another questions, is it really worth to pay a premium for it for unusual cuts? For people like me who are more inclined towards unusual cuts ( I personally love Crisscut, Square H&A, Cushions H&A , Eighternity and Jubilee Elara, Lucere,Lucida, and so on), JP provides ASET for their diamonds, they have great trade in / upgrade policy, hence we might be considering one...despite the price premium.

Nevertheless, for traditionalists who are simply going for the round look, I definitely will not recommend JP since their diamond range is from G color and VS clarity onwards (hence way more expensive) .

There are much cheaper and wider range of SIC MBR options from reputable vendors like WhiteFlash out there...why only source from JP when there are so many options to choose from? I personally own a H graded True Hearts from James Allen (not really a SIC though).

Last edited:

CutMonkey

Rough_Rock
I'm also very intrigued by the Decagon. I have an e-mail out to JannPaul requesting more info. I'm curious as to what taxes / duties I'd have to pay importing to California. Does anyone know if there is any advantage to importing a loose stone vs set?

@Skeptron - I love your setting. It's a JP design, right? Do you have more pictures of it? Really curious how it looks on the hands. Are the diamonds on the band also Decagon? Would you mind sharing roughly how much the band was?

TripEx

Shiny_Rock
i just spoke with Eugene for about 3 hours very patient great service i am pretty much convinced about a ring from them. super ideal round brilliant however. awesome information

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
The decagon!!
I was totally not interested until that video! My word!

DRSAMURAI

Shiny_Rock
New to PS and following the Decagon chats with interest. Seriously considering a new 2ct for my wife and love of my life of nearly 52 years. Visited many online diamond vendors' websites. Brain fog develops after a while with such a vast array of choices. So when I came across the JP Decadron, this particular diamond is an outlier much like a Rolls Royce is to cars. Its light performance is dazzling and spectacular when pushing its 111 facets to their limits under different lighting. Facets on steroids. All vendors display their diamonds under ideal lighting to exploit fire, scintillation and brilliance. Decagon's YouTube video H2H comparisons with 3X diamonds are under ideal lighting and also outdoors in uncontrolled bright sunlight and under cloudy and shaded sky. There is a visible difference favoring Decadron. The Decadgon specs are unique, outstanding, proprietary and patented. The added premium is justified considering the extra labor and wastage. Comparing 111 facets to 57 facets is unfair and unrealistic.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
I think it’s really pretty! Like a sparkly snowflake

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results