shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on Jannpaul’s Decagon Cut?

shirls

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

First time poster here :) I’ve started my diamond research journey a few weeks back and have learned tons reading the forum. Issue though is I’m not close to deciding what I want and from whom I want to buy the engagement ring. Most interesting I’ve learned through the process is JannPaul’s innovation in the way their diamonds are cut. Have you guys heard or considered their newest creation, the Decagon?

I’m tempted but will have to allocate 8.5% on duties alone from the budget since I live in Canada.

Otherwise, considering buying from Whiteflash/Jamesallen if the local jewellers can’t provide the info needed to make an informed purchase.
Anyone else ask feel like you’ve researched too much and now feel the need to ask for the ASET, Idealscope and hearts images along with video before considering any diamond?

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
oh wow!!! it is phenomenal!

and i don't typically, favour this type of faceting. it is so soooo brilliant bright!!

thank you very much for sharing!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s very pretty but remember that is under premium lighting. I would personally rather have an ACA from Whiteflash. If you go to the Caribbean you will hear that the Crown of Lights the best. IRL I know no one who really has one.

shirls

Rough_Rock
It’s very pretty but remember that is under premium lighting. I would personally rather have an ACA from Whiteflash. If you go to the Caribbean you will hear that the Crown of Lights the best. IRL I know no one who really has one.

I do like how they show their Super Ideal Cut and the standard 3X GIA diamond alongside with the Decagon as comparison. I would think their Super Ideal cut is similar to that of WF's ACA. In the video, although the stones are shown in premium lighting, the Decagon is superior to that of their Super Ideal cut which is still a gorgeous stone nonetheless.

Never heard of Crown of Lights! Interesting... I wonder how these special cut diamonds hold value in the market over time.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
You know, I think I actually love it. I would want to see it in action while mounted in more environments.
I love many pointed stars/snowflake geometric shapes and this ticks all of those boxes for me.

shirls

Rough_Rock
You know, I think I actually love it. I would want to see it in action while mounted in more environments.
I love many pointed stars/snowflake geometric shapes and this ticks all of those boxes for me.

Yes! If only I lived in Singapore...

I would be able to get more stone for the budget buying locally but guess it comes back down to quantity vs quality!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I wasn’t sure what to think reading the topic but the video has got me intrigued! Love to see it outdoors as I am more a scintillation/fire lover than brilliance, but it sure has the latter in droves!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer a true round shape to a decagon. I’ve seen videos and it’s very sparkly but a decagon seems like it can’t make up it’s mind. Does it want to be a round or not? Make up your mind.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh goodness.

After seeing any number of extra-facet specialty RBs come and go over the years - always hyped up with “more facets means more sparkle, silly!!!” marketing - it’s refreshing to be happily surprised!!

I like this! I wouldn’t buy one, but I like it. The obstruction pattern is really pretty ::)

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
If you buy in Singapore you have to pay 7% goods and services tax anyway, so the difference is really 1.5%. Just tell JP to charge you 0% tax. Prices in Singapore are supposed to be quoted inclusive of tax.

Skeptron

Rough_Rock
Hi All! I've been a lurker on PS for a long time and surprised to see someone posting about the Decagon here! I'm from Singapore myself and have learnt so much on this forum. I'm a proud owner of the Decagon myself and thought of sharing more info about it with you guys.

First off, I've been hunting diamond for a very very long time. I actually started back in 2012 and learnt about the scopes and proportions in picking a diamond. Unfortunately, my r/s back then didn't work out and the diamond journey was put on paused. Finally, after having found the love of my life, I was ready again in 2020!

Here's some photos of my Decagon ring. It's only a 0.55ct G VS1 (much smaller than the average size I see here). In Singapore, I find the average diamond size to be about 0.4-0.8cts. My gf even insisted on not getting something too big or else she can't wear it daily (she works with kids).
This is the ring box that comes with the diamond, very solid and a heavy weight to it.

ePtL0NJ.jpg

sqAXcn1.jpg

XiYG00I.jpg

Sorry for the blurish shots. Its the only ones I have at the moment. I'll try to take a video of it when the rings back with me. In real life, the decagon is absolutely stunning. It doesn't need any strong lights to sparkle. In fact,I find that it even stands out in dim lighted areas as the diamond is very bright. Even though mine is a G Color, I can't see any yellow in it at all. The Decagon has a higher light return and it was all red under the ASET scope, which made the diamond looked whiter, camouflaging the body color.

Even when I compared it to the Super Ideal Cuts they had, the decagon looked much brighter, whiter and more firey. I even compared them indoors and outdoors and could see the difference in the light performance. They did a video of the ASET rotation comparison of the diamonds on their youtube too.

You can see more about the light performance on their instagram too - http://instagram.com/jannpaul

Hope you guys find this useful. I don't know abt in US, Jannpaul's White Series line is extremly popular in Asia. It comes in different shapes too like the oval hearts n arrows, cushion hearts n arrows, and a round 10 hearts n arrows.

shirls

Rough_Rock
If you buy in Singapore you have to pay 7% goods and services tax anyway, so the difference is really 1.5%. Just tell JP to charge you 0% tax. Prices in Singapore are supposed to be quoted inclusive of tax.

Unfortunately, the math doesn't work out that way. JP will not charge any sales tax to international buyers from my understanding but once imported, I'll have to pay my local sales tax of 13% plus duties of 8.5%.... :(:knockout:

Buying from US, we are only exempt of the duties, which doesn't make a difference when comparing to buying locally as the sales tax will be charged regardless (unless, the jeweler is willing to receive cash in full...)

shirls

Rough_Rock
Hi All! I've been a lurker on PS for a long time and surprised to see someone posting about the Decagon here! I'm from Singapore myself and have learnt so much on this forum. I'm a proud owner of the Decagon myself and thought of sharing more info about it with you guys.

First off, I've been hunting diamond for a very very long time. I actually started back in 2012 and learnt about the scopes and proportions in picking a diamond. Unfortunately, my r/s back then didn't work out and the diamond journey was put on paused. Finally, after having found the love of my life, I was ready again in 2020!

Here's some photos of my Decagon ring. It's only a 0.55ct G VS1 (much smaller than the average size I see here). In Singapore, I find the average diamond size to be about 0.4-0.8cts. My gf even insisted on not getting something too big or else she can't wear it daily (she works with kids).
This is the ring box that comes with the diamond, very solid and a heavy weight to it.

ePtL0NJ.jpg

sqAXcn1.jpg

XiYG00I.jpg

Sorry for the blurish shots. Its the only ones I have at the moment. I'll try to take a video of it when the rings back with me. In real life, the decagon is absolutely stunning. It doesn't need any strong lights to sparkle. In fact,I find that it even stands out in dim lighted areas as the diamond is very bright. Even though mine is a G Color, I can't see any yellow in it at all. The Decagon has a higher light return and it was all red under the ASET scope, which made the diamond looked whiter, camouflaging the body color.

Even when I compared it to the Super Ideal Cuts they had, the decagon looked much brighter, whiter and more firey. I even compared them indoors and outdoors and could see the difference in the light performance. They did a video of the ASET rotation comparison of the diamonds on their youtube too.

You can see more about the light performance on their instagram too - http://instagram.com/jannpaul

Hope you guys find this useful. I don't know abt in US, Jannpaul's White Series line is extremly popular in Asia. It comes in different shapes too like the oval hearts n arrows, cushion hearts n arrows, and a round 10 hearts n arrows.

It's absolutely gorgeous :kiss2: and so unique, thank you so much for sharing! The setting of the ring is exactly the one I was also interested in. As you've mentioned, there is a size difference from my research in US/Canada compared to Asia which is what I'm struggling with given I am around a lot of 2 ct owners.

The budget set considering tax and duties can get me a nice 1.2 ct Decagon vs 1.4 ct ACA vs 1.7 3xGIA. Makes me wonder if I did no research, I could've ended up with a bigger stone haha

Smithee

Rough_Rock
I do like how they show their Super Ideal Cut and the standard 3X GIA diamond alongside with the Decagon as comparison. I would think their Super Ideal cut is similar to that of WF's ACA. In the video, although the stones are shown in premium lighting, the Decagon is superior to that of their Super Ideal cut which is still a gorgeous stone nonetheless.

Never heard of Crown of Lights! Interesting... I wonder how these special cut diamonds hold value in the market over time.

Crown of Light is the cut patented by Diamonds International, AKA the diamond vendor that caters to wealthy tourists on cruise ship port stops.

Smithee

Rough_Rock

My brother in law fell prey to a Diamonds International vendor on the cruise during which he proposed to my sister. They ended up with a .5ct Crown of Light ring with a pave band that a salesperson insisted would be okay sized down from a 7 to a 3.5. It was not. Long story short, after many months of credit card disputes and BBB mediation, my sister ended up stuck with an unwearable ring with a ridiculously cut diamond. I can't remember how much they paid for it, but the amount was unconscionably high.

The kicker is that my BIL had access to an heirloom 2ct OEC the whole time, which is what my sister wears now.

Last edited:

shirls

Rough_Rock
My brother in law fell prey to a Diamonds International vendor on the cruise during which he proposed to my sister. They ended up with a .5ct Crown of Light ring with a pave band that a salesperson insisted would be okay sized down from a 7 to a 3.5. It was not. Long story short, after many months of credit card disputes and BBB mediation, my sister ended up stuck with an unwearable ring with a ridiculously cut diamond. I can't remember how much they paid for it, but the amount was unconscionably high.

The kicker is that my BIL had access to an heirloom 2ct OEC the whole time, which is what my sister wears now.

:shock::(sad Yikes! I guess the first red flag would be that they cater to wealthy tourists on cruise ship port stops... could your sister resize the ring in order to wear it?

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@shirls @Skeptron

so how are the decagons priced?? is there a website of inventory and corresponding prices??

i am intrigued and fascinated ... i find them to be spectcular

free-user

Rough_Rock
Id almost prefer a solesfera over his cuts. But I wouldn't mind his cuts either!

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
well, now you gave me ideas... i will go visit singapore one day and i may swing by!

shirls

Rough_Rock
@shirls @Skeptron

so how are the decagons priced?? is there a website of inventory and corresponding prices??

i am intrigued and fascinated ... i find them to be spectcular

Although late in the game, I believe they are trying to start their online presence to allow you to search loose diamonds. If you go on their site, it is however still “under construction.” Currently, for international buyers, they are only doing online consultations at the moment.
I’m not too far into the process yet as I haven’t decided but have been told by my JP contact that they have a software to conduct live diamond viewing and will be able to show ASET scopes etc.
She also told me that the pricing is about 5-10% premium due to the carat wastage and labour which I don’t think is that bad imo for such a unique stone.
Apparently, their patented solasfera cut @free-user mentioned is 20-25% premium from their Super Ideal cut as they shared the patent with the cutter so I don’t think that one sold well but not sure...

Also, gonna just link this here if you’re interested :) I found this video very fascinating but warning in advance, it’s an hour long video!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The budget set considering tax and duties can get me a nice 1.2 ct Decagon vs 1.4 ct ACA vs 1.7 3xGIA.

Size is immediately obvious. So I would advise not to go too small. Also depends on whether your partner actually cares about the cut - if not then a normal diamond maybe is better for her...

I mean, we geek out about cut /angles etc on PS but in the real world, most people just notice the size/ color of the diamond, at least that’s my observation.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@shirls

i have come across the solasfera but was not impressed. im quite perplexed that i am liking the decagon enough to delve further. usually, i prefer ideal oec, antique cushion/old mine, emerald cut

thank you for sharing! i will be sure to set aside time to view the video

shirls

Rough_Rock
Size is immediately obvious. So I would advise not to go too small. Also depends on whether your partner actually cares about the cut - if not then a normal diamond maybe is better for her...

I mean, we geek out about cut /angles etc on PS but in the real world, most people just notice the size/ color of the diamond, at least that’s my observation.

LOL no just me wearing it in the end. Is it weird that I have full control of this decision?! Takes the romance out of it for me tbh...but he’s afraid to take the control back since he just wants me to get the one I want.
My boyfriend does not have the diligence to do research and knowing approx the budget that may be spent, i wanted to make sure it was a worthwhile item. Have also been to local jewellers here in Toronto and after spending hours on PS forum, found out he was going to sell us a deep cut diamond and just made me question all local jewellers as it seems like most are not as transparent as online sites.
The geeking out has definitely made this process.... bittersweet? I don’t know how else to explain it... like very eye opening but a headache since it seems like I’m super indecisive...if you are now a more informed buyer, would you still move forward with a purchase based on what everyone else cares or see? Not sure about you but I don’t know the answer to that...

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@shirls

i think it is still plenty romantic. he trusts you to choose something for yourself that he knows you will love. how romantic is that!!? sure the information can feel overwhelming, at times. but only you truly know what you love. trust yourself, trust your eyes

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
if you are now a more informed buyer, would you still move forward with a purchase based on what everyone else cares or see? Not sure about you but I don’t know the answer to that...

Oops, clearly I thought you were buying for someone else...

With the benefit of hindsight, I’ll go for a vendor with good upgrade policy (and fingers crossed that they do well and prosper so that I can upgrade in a few years). I think ACA is a good choice, or even virtual selection (is upgrade policy the same? I’m not sure).

With the fancy cuts, I think the facetinggets more interesting when the diamonds are bigger, like 2 ct and above (my opinion only!). For smaller, then I think a well cut diamond makes more sense.

shirls

Rough_Rock
@Big Fat Facets, curious to hear your thoughts once you’ve watched it! Good to know others who are more knowledgeable and experienced also see something special about this new cut as I know it may not be everyone’s cup of tea :razz: also interesting to hear my over involvement as romantic rather picky/bossy...:lol-2:

shirls

Rough_Rock
Oops, clearly I thought you were buying for someone else...

With the benefit of hindsight, I’ll go for a vendor with good upgrade policy (and fingers crossed that they do well and prosper so that I can upgrade in a few years). I think ACA is a good choice, or even virtual selection (is upgrade policy the same? I’m not sure).

With the fancy cuts, I think the facetinggets more interesting when the diamonds are bigger, like 2 ct and above (my opinion only!). For smaller, then I think a well cut diamond makes more sense.

I appreciate your opinion :) I may be in over my head at this point!

One thing I also wanted to mention was I get overly sentimental with everything I own so I actually don’t want/plan to upgrade in the future...maybe that’s why this hunt seems to be a mission...

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i must say, i am loving the decagon! i would go for it, in place of a super ideal round brilliant, any day of the week.

i'd love to be able to see it in more lighting environments. i wonder how it does in direct sunlight ...
the closest was in overcast ambient daylight, in a video

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results