shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on IF oval cut?

SkyHigh

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I've been searching for an oval for a while now, and I happened across a reasonably priced IF which I ordered. Here is a video and the GIA:

360 Video
GIA Report

Do you think this cut looks good? The facets look a bit different than other ovals I have seen. The cut I usually see is on the left, the IF is on the right. Larger image of the IF below.

compare.png

192268-406.jpg

Reactions: AV_

headlight

Ideal_Rock
The question to ask yourself: Is it pleasing to you?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The facet pattern seems identical, with different proportions on which internal reflections depend as you are noticing.

These videos with strong backlighting hide the brilliance of diamonds entirely; I find them impossible to read.

I do like the shape and smaller table of the IF, if the stone is bright and there is no VS to make me as happy, then I'd put up with IF & its cost.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The crown angles are cut differently on the G/IF and so you end up with a different shaped table. I think there are less facets on the crown in the
G/IF (if my eyes aren't fooling me). I think the pavilion angles are the same as the other one you posted. Should result in less but bigger
facets.

Overall...these videos that are on the North/South axis are hard to evaluate. The ones on an angle (like JA) are easier. The G/IF looks like it has a pretty
wide area through the center of nice facets that are returning light well. Hard to tell if additional nice facets are going to light up as the stone is
rocked N/S. The only way to know is to view it yourself or get a video of the stone at a different angle.

In general, I think its a nice stone. Is it the best we see in an oval(hard to find)? No, but it does look nice.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is two different arrangements of crown facets. Both are common.
The IF on the right is cut like MRB where the pavilion main and crown bezel facets line up.
Combine that with different table%, depth%, crown%, pav%, L/W ratio, lower girdle length, no two ovals look identical.
compare.png

Last edited:

SkyHigh

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the feedback. I personally like the look of it, but was unsure if this facet arrangement was undesirable for some reason.

Agree that these videos which spin the stone on 1 axis are difficult to assess. I left it with the jeweler so she doesn't find it, but maybe I will post a video of the stone in hand.

The price was not much more than VS stones I had been looking at. It never crossed my mind that I might find an IF in my budget. It would be fun to give her an IF, provided there are no red flags I'm missing.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It is two different arrangements of crown facets.

Indeed. I was wrong to say otherwise above. No preference between the two, would assume the choice of crown alignment relates to proportions & the result ought to speak for itself.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the feedback. I personally like the look of it, but was unsure if this facet arrangement was undesirable for some reason.

Agree that these videos which spin the stone on 1 axis are difficult to assess. I left it with the jeweler so she doesn't find it, but maybe I will post a video of the stone in hand.

The price was not much more than VS stones I had been looking at. It never crossed my mind that I might find an IF in my budget. It would be fun to give her an IF, provided there are no red flags I'm missing.

Not undesirable, just different than the other. Not sure what you are saying, "left it with the jeweler so she doesnt find it". Agree, that sometimes you
can find a higher clarity that doesnt cost much more (as long as you're not insisting that you have an IF which would greatly limit your candidate stones.)

SkyHigh

Rough_Rock
Not sure what you are saying, "left it with the jeweler so she doesnt find it".

I purchased the stone and left it with the jeweler while he got some settings. She wants a plain setting solitaire.

Here are a couple videos of the stone in hand. I'm not very experienced with taking video of diamonds, and I find it very difficult to capture on video. Any thoughts?

SkyHigh

Rough_Rock
Also, the stone was $13k and I have 2 weeks left in the return window. The heart of this inquiry is, should I proceed or send it back?

The videos I posted above aren't that great, so let me know if you would like to see it from any other angles/lighting/distances.

So far I have looked at about 8 different stones in person, and there seems to be a tradeoff with each one. It feels like I could hunt forever for the "perfect oval" (which I am finding to be somewhat subjective). It is a long process in my small town, and I am unable to compare more than 2 stones at once due to the cost of bringing them in. Then a couple weeks to send them back and get new ones.

I want to move forward, but I've been suffering analysis paralysis as I learn something new every time I visit this website. For example, I didn't even know what MRB stood for until this thread. I also didn't know about the 4 vs 6 vs 8 vs 8 offset until this thread. In my first (and only other) thread, I learned about the AV ovals. I went down these rabbit holes for a while before deciding to keep it simple and stick to the more typical modern cut.

For a conventional cut, is this a good oval? Or can I do much better for the price?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at the video, and photo again. Good wide light reflection under the table like the butterfly pattern which extend nicely to the bezel as well.
I like it

SkyHigh

Rough_Rock
:) Thank you, flyingpig.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I understand that this is not the G/IF, but the other stone. Can you link to the GIA report of the diamond you are holding?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
ctd

I feel odd about the dissapearing G/IF, so I looke around a little for anything as interesting & came accross this: www - a deep cut oval, seriously bright which is rare among ovals, the included crystal needs to be seen.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ctd

I feel odd about the dissapearing G/IF, so I looke around a little for anything as interesting & came accross this: www - a deep cut oval, seriously bright which is rare among ovals, the included crystal needs to be seen.

Interesting!

Do you think it might have bow-tie across the very centre line? Or that could just be the camera, and therefore not seen in real life?

SkyHigh

Rough_Rock
I understand that this is not the G/IF, but the other stone. Can you link to the GIA report of the diamond you are holding?

The stone I am holding in the videos is the same G/IF shown in the above GIA report.

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Oops for he confusion. I can say that the G/IF is among the largest 1.7 cts I have found around. I tend to like the proportions and the type of cut, so there is nothing obviously better I can think of.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it a lot. Bowtie seems pretty minimal to me.

SkyHigh

Rough_Rock
Oops for he confusion. I can say that the G/IF is among the largest 1.7 cts I have found around. I tend to like the proportions and the type of cut, so there is nothing obviously better I can think of.

Cool, thank you very much.

I also looked at the stone you linked and agree it looks very nice. She wants a longer oval, though, so I've been limiting the search to at least 1.35 L/W.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback, it makes me feel better about moving forward.

SkyHigh

Rough_Rock
Just want to give you all a quick update. I surprised her with the ring yesterday and she loves it! It looks even better out in the real world than it did in my limited test environments. Very bright, sparkly, and clean. Super happy with how this came together. Thank you all again for helping a newbie through this huge decision.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just want to give you all a quick update. I surprised her with the ring yesterday and she loves it! It looks even better out in the real world than it did in my limited test environments. Very bright, sparkly, and clean. Super happy with how this came together. Thank you all again for helping a newbie through this huge decision.

Excellent news! :))

Please do post a hand-pic or two if you and they are happy to do so :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations! Where are the pictures!!! It's the payment for our help :lol:!

SkyHigh

Rough_Rock
Here are a couple of hand pics. This is where I proposed. She went back and took a few pictures because when I asked, it was a total surprise and she was wearing sweats, no makeup, and didn't have her nails done :D

thumbnail_IMG_5749.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5638.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a couple of hand pics. This is where I proposed. She went back and took a few pictures because when I asked, it was a total surprise and she was wearing sweats, no makeup, and didn't have her nails done :D

thumbnail_IMG_5749.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5638.jpg

haha :D

Great pics! Looks like a nice part of the world :))

AV_

Ideal_Rock
No better place to wear the best diamonds! Congratulations .)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Congratulations!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results