shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on David Klass halo setting and wedding band

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
The bezel suggestions are genius.:clap: I love the photos posted by @elliefire99. They actually look like flowers!!!

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Ah! Forgot to mention. Another +1 for the bezel on the center stone is that it will show off those beautiful cut corners :)

MissNat

Rough_Rock
It's like a cross between a cushion, princess, and radiant. Where did you purchase it from???

I bought it from JA. Talked to BDG and GOG too that sold similar diamonds but nothing in my range. :)

I like this idea! The other alternative if you don't want a plain shank on the e-ring band is to do smaller pave like 1/2 or 3/4 of the way around the shank. Then you could get a bigger/more blingy eternity band, and get away with a small spacer. I agree with others that the large stones around the shank might "eat" the center stone, and will end up not having as much contrast as you want. Sometimes if too many stones are the same size, it ends up looking like one giant thing instead of each piece standing out.

I think smaller pave or a plain shank looks amazing with a blingy eternity band!

EDIT. when I say "smaller pave" I mean like what you have in the pic you posted of your other ring. So the diamonds on the shank will be much smaller than the ones on a bigger eternity band. That way they are clearly separate pieces, and both will stand out more (IMHO, of course!)

I have asked DK to make the changes. I really do agree with you all. I just didn't see it at first :)

I think a floral cluster-type halo for this stone is a wonderful idea! As others have mentioned though, the current CAD is a bit overwhelming, and everything gets kind of lost.

My first inclination is to agree with mrs-b and others, that a plain shank on the ring will allow the cluster to pop, and will look lovely with an eternity band. The plain band will be the easiest way to combat the "great wall of bling" effect. And a diamond cluster on a plain band is a very classic, timeless design (it is all over the place in Victorian rings! If/when delicate halos pass their heyday, your floral cluster will maintain old world charm :) )

However, having pave in the shank is not impossible. I actually think the James Allen setting you posted is very very successful at attaining what you originally envisioned. A quick explanation of why:

On the hand, the chunky halo stands out and looks light and delicate on the hand. This is in part because of the very thin shank relative to the size of the head (as lovedogs pointed out)
upload_2019-1-30_21-4-26.png

More specifically...
1) The pave and the shank actually tapers in a bit as it approaches the head. This visually makes the head stand out more.
2) The pave in the shank is channel set, giving the shank a linear rectangular silhouette that is very different from the flowery curves of the cluster.
3) The cathedral setting of the head means the head is set higher and "pops out" more to the eye, as you mentioned before. If you like cathedrals, I think this is a very good way to add vertical interest to the ring, while eliminating the problematic donut in the orignal CAD.

All three points can be seen in the view below of the JA setting.
upload_2019-1-30_21-12-11.png

But the BEZEL! I think this is an excellent idea. A bezel around the center stone will help differentiate it from the big halo stones. Alternatively, a halo around the whole curvy silhouette of the cluster will emphasize its flowery shape and differentiate it from the shank pave. You could also do a bezel on both and get the best of both worlds :) Plus added diamond protection.

Here are some examples of all three options. They are round center stones bc that is more common, but it should help you visualize the concept.

Bezel just around the center stone:
upload_2019-1-30_21-19-45.png

Bezel just around the halo (ignore the awful prongs):
upload_2019-1-30_21-20-27.png

Bezel around both:
upload_2019-1-30_21-21-24.png

Thank you so much for your ideas! =)2
I think the Bezel-versions are beautiful but it's not me. It's like milgrain, love it on others but not on me. We'll see how it turns out with a plain shank and take it from there.

DK is truly a blast to work with. So understanding! Looking forward to get the new CAD. :appl:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was busy at work and I'm late to the thread. My previous notes from your other thread still apply. But, having read through these idea, I have a few thoughts.

1) If you want to make your stone visually larger, you might consider a double halo. But, the inner row are quite a bit smaller. The idea is that the inner halo will blur into your center and make it larger. You can have that inner halo follow your stones shape (to retain it), or kinda round over the sharp edges to make is more rounded. If you look at this example, it uses beads (not diamonds) around the diamond along with metal color (not necessary in your case) to visually increase the size of the center and blur the transition from the oval to rounded square halo. I'm suggesting diamonds in an inner halo to both enlarge your stone and either emphasize your stone shape or use them to blurr the shape toward the floral halo.

upload_2019-2-1_4-52-44.png

Here' s PS member's ring showing the idea. In the top picture, the inner halo just makes the center look bigger.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...era-puppy-hubby-did-well-pic-overload.190353/
upload_2019-2-1_5-4-7.png
upload_2019-2-1_5-3-27.png

JA's falling edge pave show the double halo, but you have to imagine that inner row being much smaller. But, it shows my recommendation for a 20 degree tilt well (in previous thread).
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-edge-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49492

2) I love your diamond and its shape. If it was me, I adjust the halo to retain a more octogon outline. Here's an example of an hexagon halo with larger and smaller stones.

upload_2019-2-1_4-56-36.png
upload_2019-2-1_4-57-33.png

I agree with PP that if you want pave on the shank, I'd change the size to make it smaller than those in the halo. I think the example with the tapered shank is a good sample of this.

This is the side profile you'd be moving toward if you remove the collar. Also shows the 20 degree tilt off level. See how pretty that looks? If you did not do the diamonds on the shank under the head, you would be able to not have your ring each each other. The pave on the ring is also a fishtail and it stay away from the side. This is Victor Canera's Emilya. This is a 3 carat stone, so the scale will differ from yours.

upload_2019-2-1_5-7-17.png
upload_2019-2-1_5-7-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-1_4-55-28.png
    upload_2019-2-1_4-55-28.png
    251.2 KB · Views: 7
  • upload_2019-2-1_5-5-30.png
    upload_2019-2-1_5-5-30.png
    265.7 KB · Views: 6

MissNat

Rough_Rock
B63E9E78-0A9A-4D6D-A62C-E198E4C80FB1.jpeg
Just received the latest CAD! :appl:

Spontaneously I feel that the halo needs to be set a little higher so the infinity sign isn’t that squeezed together. Other wise I like it! I know it doesn’t show off the shape of my diamond but that is not very important to me. It’s more important to get the flowery feeling. I’m at bit unsure about the size of the diamonds in the halo. Maybe it’s a liiiiittle bit to big?

Any other thoughts from you guys?? :kiss2:

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Your set is going to be gorgeously bling-A-Lush-shous!! Yum!!

Im no expert.
I would ask Amy to raise halo a little.
What if you kept the height of the 1st CAD without collar? 7.8mm tall.
The height would offer more defined look. Maybe 1.75 -2mm stones in halo would compliment your center more and still provide that flowery daisy look. Definitely give it a go and see if you like it.

1.5 mm. 0.015 ct.
1.75 mm. 0.02 ct.
1.8 mm. 0.025 ct.
2 mm. 0.03 ct.
2.25 mm. 0.04 ct.

2mm diamonds in halo
Foto_(2)_klein.jpg

So exciting!!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or raise halo for this look? halo.jpg

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2.5 mm. 0.06 ct.
2.75 mm. 0.08 ct.
3 mm. 0.11 ct.

IMO for the flower look 2.5mm may work.

2.5mm diamonds in halo
The center is about 6.2mm
2.5mm diamonds.jpg

MissNat

Rough_Rock
D1F0389A-F165-4655-B68C-B23B76B2C064.jpeg 75D511E6-940B-449B-8DF5-4643C639E0E9.jpeg Thank you :kiss2:!

Yes I think I would like to keep that height. Thank you for the pics. The last one is what I’m trying to achieve. See the pics above.

I’m going to ask for 2,5 mm. I think it will look better actually. The yellow gold ring is 0.7 ct with 0,06 ct in the halo.

Yay! Finally starting to feel the love for these rings :love:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D1F0389A-F165-4655-B68C-B23B76B2C064.jpeg 75D511E6-940B-449B-8DF5-4643C639E0E9.jpeg Thank you :kiss2:!

Yes I think I would like to keep that height. Thank you for the pics. The last one is what I’m trying to achieve. See the pics above.

I’m going to ask for 2,5 mm. I think it will look better actually. The yellow gold ring is 0.7 ct with 0,06 ct in the halo.

I think the stones on the halo are closer to 2.3 mm. But, if you like the proportions of this ring, I would not specify a size of stone, per se. I think what makes this design look so petally is that there are three diamonds along the top and bottom and two along the sides. I'd send DK this mockup and ask him to size the halo stones to achieve a similar look in terms of number of stones on top and bottom.

In this mockup, I sized the cushion square to be your stone at 5.26 mm and aligned the DK design to to that size. This makes it easier to see the difference.
upload_2019-2-16_5-22-52.png

The other MAJOR difference is the prongs. The prongs on the inspiration have a convex shape that re-enforce the petal shape. I really really love them. If you like them, make sure you get those prongs, not a standard single prong (shown on DK CAD).
upload_2019-2-16_5-29-15.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-16_5-21-3.png
    upload_2019-2-16_5-21-3.png
    594.2 KB · Views: 12

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I saw this and thought of you ring.
Center is 6.01 x 5.46 x 3.79 mm
Halo is .05 point stones.
It's bezel set and looks like a flower

r7865-canary-diamond-antique-ring-08.jpg

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Ah! It looks great!

I think the current size of the diamonds will definitely look very floral. I personally don't think that it they are too big, but you could probably go down a bit in size to be closer to your inspiration, as others have mentioned.

I definitely agree that you will enhance the floral look by rotating the halo so that there is a stone at 0 degrees, rather than splitting the center. DK may be able to re-arrange the stones without sizing them down, or making them smaller may help.

Also love those concave/Dahlia-like prongs!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the stones on the halo are closer to 2.3 mm. But, if you like the proportions of this ring, I would not specify a size of stone, per se. I think what makes this design look so petally is that there are three diamonds along the top and bottom and two along the sides. I'd send DK this mockup and ask him to size the halo stones to achieve a similar look in terms of number of stones on top and bottom.

In this mockup, I sized the cushion square to be your stone at 5.26 mm and aligned the DK design to to that size. This makes it easier to see the difference.

The other MAJOR difference is the prongs. The prongs on the inspiration have a convex shape that re-enforce the petal shape. I really really love them. If you like them, make sure you get those prongs, not a standard single prong (shown on DK CAD).

I couldn't figure out what bugged me about the CAD and @rockysalamander nailed it. The three stones north and south of the halo REALLY makes it in the pictures she posted and the PRONGS she pointed out are perfect as well. really hilights the floral feel of the setting.:clap:

MissNat

Rough_Rock

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! :love:
@rockysalamander I am so grateful for the help. I did't see those details but now when you pointed it out I totally see it and wants it! Love the prongs.

I sent the mockups to DK and explaind what you wrote. I got the CAD below back. I have asked DK to raise the halo multiple times but he never does. Could there be an explanation to why or do you think he just forgets? Am I wrong to feel it looks a bit squeezed together? Do you think I can go a little bit thinner on the e-ring band?

Something with this CAD feels wrong. DK wrote "The attached ring as a inner metal halo that separates the center stone from the halo diamonds. Do you want to add that so the center is a larger area and I can use larger halo stones?" What do you think about this? I think it might look better.

50853-QUAD (12).jpg

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO with your stone the 3mm halo looks like a daisy. It looks the floweryist (lol...is that a word?).

The Halo illustration @rockysalamander provided has larger stones in the halo.

I would ask him to go back to using the eight 3mm diamonds in the halo
and raise the halo about 7-7.25mm. First try 7mm (so you can see if you like that height)

Good luck!!
Its going to be gorgeous!!!

MissNat

Rough_Rock
IMO with your stone the 3mm halo looks like a daisy. It looks the floweryist (lol...is that a word?).

The Halo illustration @rockysalamander provided has larger stones in the halo.

I would ask him to go back to using the eight 3mm diamonds in the halo
and raise the halo about 7-7.25mm. First try 7mm (so you can see if you like that height)

Good luck!!
Its going to be gorgeous!!!

I definitely like the 3 mm diamonds more the 2 mm that he used now in latest CAD. He wrote that he can use the larger stones but then he need to do an inner metal halo. I have a hard time picturing what it will look like but I think all will ask him to make a CAD so that I can see for myself.

As I wrote before, I asked him to raise the halo several times and nothing has happen. Either he just missed it or he doesn't think it's a good idea. Can there be a reason for not raising it that I haven't think of? :think:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1) Still need to tilt the halo stones outward 20 degrees from level.
2) Agree it needs to be raised a bit.
3) I like the larger stones also
4) Metal halo, I think he means like the inner metal rim here.
upload_2019-2-20_9-18-26.png

But, the bottom line is that to get the larger 3mm stones and the larger number of stones, he needs to make the diameter wider. You can you a line of metal. But, you can also add an inner halo of tiny tiny melee stones then your flowery halo. That would blur the line between your stone and the halo and add room to add bigger stones.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-20_9-18-7.png
    upload_2019-2-20_9-18-7.png
    116.2 KB · Views: 10

MissNat

Rough_Rock
1) Still need to tilt the halo stones outward 20 degrees from level.
2) Agree it needs to be raised a bit.
3) I like the larger stones also
4) Metal halo, I think he means like the inner metal rim here.
upload_2019-2-20_9-18-26.png

But, the bottom line is that to get the larger 3mm stones and the larger number of stones, he needs to make the diameter wider. You can you a line of metal. But, you can also add an inner halo of tiny tiny melee stones then your flowery halo. That would blur the line between your stone and the halo and add room to add bigger stones.

1. I already asked him to do that and I think he tilted it a little bit if you compare the first CAD. I can of course ask him to tilt it some more =)2

Do you think it would be possible to just rotate the halo to get one diamond at 0 degrees?

MissNat

Rough_Rock
C584C8FD-738C-499A-B6E2-F5149BA56FC7.jpeg

Latest CAD is here!
I feel torn.. its like I don't know what I like anymore :(2
It’s pretty, it is! But I don’t know..
I will remove the infinity sign, of that I’m sure.

Thoughts anyone?

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Quick turnaround!
But hmmm.... not totally loving the mini inner halo tbh. You lose the definition of the halo stones, which is the whole point of doing a larger, floral-like halo. I think what the first CAD had was a really nice proportion of center halo stones, and, even though the stones are now almost 3mm again, the "center" has also visually increased, so the overall look isn't that different from the CAD right before it.

Have you confirmed with DK that it is impossible to do 8 3mm stones with a diamond a 0 degrees? Or even 10 stones rather than 12 (3 on top, 3 on bottom, 2 on each side)? After the revisions, I am personally preferring the 8 stone CAD, but these things just take time and revision and patience.

If you need to take a step back and take a break for a bit, do it. There is no rush really. It can be easy to fall down the rabbit hole and get overwhelmed. And these thing should be fun!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
C584C8FD-738C-499A-B6E2-F5149BA56FC7.jpeg

Latest CAD is here!
I feel torn.. its like I don't know what I like anymore :(2
It’s pretty, it is! But I don’t know..
I will remove the infinity sign, of that I’m sure.

Thoughts anyone?
I actually like the inner halo. I think it adds the necessary size to give you more stones and will make add a lot of fire to the halo. I also love the new prongs. I think this is going to be lovely. But, YOU have to love it. If YOU don't know...just take some time away.

Posting the image below as it may be similar with a square stones.

upload_2019-2-23_4-55-40.png
https://www.rockher.com/asscher-diamond-flower-halo-engagement-ring-large-diamond-platinum-shank

MissNat

Rough_Rock
I took a couple of days off, went to a jeweler and tried on some more rings. I have finally decided what it will look like and when I got the last CAD I fell in love again. It's been a lot of ups and downs but now I'm sure. It is beautiful but I have one small concern (pointed out in the picture) that I will email DK about. Is there anything else I should think about now? I appreciate your help very much!

50853-QUAD.png

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
what about a bezel halo? but with smaller melee? it would nicely outline the shape of the stone and the halo would add the bling and real estate you're looking for.

like this:
https://www.markbroumand.com/blog/w...shion-Cut-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-300x300.jpg

This is perfect. The shape is so unique that I think you would be doing it justice by emphasizing it.

ETA: I didn’t read all the way through the thread before replying - whoops! What you’ve come up with is beautiful!

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So on the eternity band...are they going to make sure the metal sticks out further than the stones so it doesnt scratch up your engagement ring
(all around the shank)?

I agree that you might want the gallery prongs to be concave so that the top of the eternity does not eat into the gallery of the engagement ring. You
might need to raise the head. Its getting kind of high like it is though.

MissNat

Rough_Rock
So on the eternity band...are they going to make sure the metal sticks out further than the stones so it doesnt scratch up your engagement ring
(all around the shank)?

I agree that you might want the gallery prongs to be concave so that the top of the eternity does not eat into the gallery of the engagement ring. You
might need to raise the head. Its getting kind of high like it is though.

I will ask David about both the eternity band and the gallery on the engagement ring. Thank you for the help! :angel:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is fascinating and really helpful. DKJ are currently doing a cushion AVC in 12 stone OEC cluster for me, too, and I'm holding my breath to see how it turns out!

Here is my inspo pic; @diamondseeker2006's ring by CvB.

AVC inspo photo.jpeg

I'm using @stonewell's gorgeous new DKJ creation to illustrate what I want for halo tilt. ETA That halo tilt is closer to 45 than 25. Veeeery tilted. I asked for the halo tilt to be an extension of the crown angle - so, roughly 35% - almos halfway in between the regular 20% tilt and CvB's very angled tilts - tho somewhat closer to Caysie's.

Susan's CvB_2.jpeg

MissNat

Rough_Rock
This thread is fascinating and really helpful. DKJ are currently doing a cushion AVC in 12 stone OEC cluster for me, too, and I'm holding my breath to see how it turns out!

Here is my inspo pic; @diamondseeker2006's ring by CvB.

AVC inspo photo.jpeg

I'm using @stonewell's gorgeous new DKJ creation to illustrate what I want for halo tilt. ETA That halo tilt is closer to 45 than 25. Veeeery tilted. I asked for the halo tilt to be an extension of the crown angle - so, roughly 35% - almos halfway in between the regular 20% tilt and CvB's very angled tilts - tho somewhat closer to Caysie's.

Susan's CvB_2.jpeg

I completely missed this!

Looks beautiful! :appl:

MissNat

Rough_Rock
Sooo... Here comes the first pictures
DKJPV19_04_09_19_WSH_ 51987 -- 2.jpg DKJPV19_04_09_19_WSH_ 51987 -- 5.jpg DKJPV19_04_09_19_WSH_ 51987 -- 3.jpg DKJPV19_04_09_19_WSH_ 51987 -- 1.jpg DKJPV19_04_09_19_WSH_ 51987 -- 7.jpg DKJPV19_04_09_19_WSH_ 51987 -- 6.jpg

I will get back to David for a few wishes and I would love to get some thoughts from you guys!

It looks like the diamond is a bit oblique (don't know if this is the right word, used google translate :razz:). You can see it when looking at the arrows in the diamond. I'm afraid it will drive me crazy.

I will also ask David if the outer prongs can be made a liiiittle bit thinner.

Please help me and let me know if there is anything else that I've missed? Thanks!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s stunning. The tweaks made to the halo, from the first cad, is right on!
E85748FB-42E2-47D8-8818-227CE5B25175.jpeg

This is what would concern me - but maybe that’s what you mean by thinning them down?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results