shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on cutting a family diamond?

RockAndRoll2006

Rough_Rock
Hey all. I'm currently in process of designing my custom engagement ring (with ERD). One unique element that I think looks really nice is having tiny (.015 ct./1.5mm) "hidden diamonds" on either side of the crown/basket underneath the center stone. I found out that both families have a small stones to offer to place on either side and I wanted to get a sense as to what you think about cutting one (or maybe both) of them.

While my mother share she has "about 15 stones of varying sizes under .10 ct.," my girlfriends mother shared she had 3 diamonds all from maybe 1930s. The one on left has a chip and a fracture and she shared that it would not be used in much else if we don't use it. It is very hard to tell the size as it sits (she said "small").

Anyone know how easy it is to have a stone cut for a situation like this? Do you recommend cutting a stone smaller, especially considering it's current state? What should I expect in terms of cost for this kind of job?

Thanks!

This is the look that I'd like to use for the hidden diamonds:
image4.jpg

This is image of stones available to cut (likely one on left):
janice2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those are likely too small for a recut.

I would send the stones to ERD and let them help you find the right answer.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd just buy new diamonds.
I suspect recutting diamonds that small may cost more than they are worth, and will make them even smaller-looking.

I'd email a pic to Brian Gavin and ask for his advice since, unlike ERD he has no potential conflict of interest from a project in the works.
He recuts diamonds.
You can contact him through his website, www.briangavindiamonds.com .

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It'll cost like $700 per stone.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the sentimentality of it, but not the application. Surprise diamonds are typically very small (2 points? 5 points?) and the stones you are showing are significantly larger than that. It would cost less money and have better outcome just to buy the suprise diamond or stone in size that fits that setting.

I would keep the other stones to add to say a pendant necklace such as a drop highlight a larger stone or as part of a design.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results