shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on a SI2 E Diamond

tomtaylor1234

Rough_Rock
Hi - I've not had a chance to see this diamond with the magnification yet in person, but from a quick eye distance it looks good. Will update with photos once I can get a viewing. However, from the GIA certificate what do you guys think? It seems to have a big cavity at the bottom which may be a concern? The price is $15.5K which is below my budget and it seems reasonable, but I can spend more for a better clarity diamond, but I'm not sure if I need too as this will only be viewed from an eye-distance.

GIA - Report Check

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because it's an Oval there is not much that can be discerned by the numbers. I would make sure that none of the inclusions could cause a structural
issue. It's got a lot going on. A lot of PSers wont buy stones with cavities in them.

Get an up-close, straight-on picture of it. Also, an up-close video. Post them here so we can take a look.

tomtaylor1234

Rough_Rock
Hi - I've not had a chance to see this diamond with the magnification yet in person, but from a quick eye distance it looks good. Will update with photos once I can get a viewing. However, from the GIA certificate what do you guys think? It seems to have a big cavity at the bottom which may be a concern? Also, I imagine the prongs will block the cavity someo The price is $15.5K which is below my budget and it seems reasonable, but I can spend more for a better clarity diamond, but I'm not sure if I need too as this will only be viewed from an eye-distance.

GIA - Report Check
Because it's an Oval there is not much that can be discerned by the numbers. I would make sure that none of the inclusions could cause a structural
issue. It's got a lot going on. A lot of PSers wont buy stones with cavities in them.

Get an up-close, straight-on picture of it. Also, an up-close video. Post them here so we can take a look.

Thanks. The cavity really scares me, even if this may not be an issue. I’d rather spend more to get something that will give me some peace and mind.

What do you guys think about this one? https://www.rarecarat.com/product/83642424?
It has multiple twining wisps.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is always good to see a long list of inclusions and 'stuff' on a larger diamond graded SI2.
The cavity is well down the list.
I would not be at all concerned about that.
The feather lower left needs to have care when setting - I would not buy this diamond and have another jeweler set it!
The worst inclusion of the list in a low clarity large diamond is the Cloud - but as it is not the main grade maker - and it has 20 others - I think it can be a keeper if the cut is nice. But thats a whole bigger game :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and this one. I’m not sure why this one is cheaper. Could be the clouds. I can see them in the magnified video is seem some milkiness in the middle. So I’m guessing that’s why it’s cheaper. But what’s your take?

This one has crystal inclusions on the table. Look around 8 o'clock half way in between the outside of the table and the center of the table.
(or go look at the gia report)

Do you know anything about picking out a well-cut oval with good light return? Unfortunately, its not that easy.

I'll try to give you a quick tutorial...

The best ovals
You want to pick a stone that has well-defined (non-mushy looking) facets as the stone moves. A lot of ovals only have nice facets thru the center area.
You dont want that...you want the whole center to have nice facets (seen when the stone moves).

Something like this...ignore inclusions...this is about cut

The second best ovals...if you want a long oval (a lot of people do) look for one that has a really wide (widest possible) area you can find of good
facets. You'll still have mushy areas of V shape headed towards the pointed ends but at least it will be smaller. Take for example this stone...

V areas in blue are good facets with good light return. Areas in red are "mushy" facets. Try to maximize the blue areas and minimize the red areas.
Capture.PNG

Not good ovals
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.03-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-7362659 center is mostly mushy
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.20-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-9621736 only has a small areas of nice facets

Good luck...btw Ovals are cut with different mains. Try to find ones you like and look at the gia cert. You may see a pattern of what kind
of faceting pattern you like to see.
4 mains
6 mains
8 mains
8 main offset

tomtaylor1234

Rough_Rock
It is always good to see a long list of inclusions and 'stuff' on a larger diamond graded SI2.
The cavity is well down the list.
I would not be at all concerned about that.
The feather lower left needs to have care when setting - I would not buy this diamond and have another jeweler set it!
The worst inclusion of the list in a low clarity large diamond is the Cloud - but as it is not the main grade maker - and it has 20 others - I think it can be a keeper if the cut is nice. But thats a whole bigger game :)

Thanks for the constructive and detailed feedback. It's nice to know that even with everything going on it could be a good diamond. My main concern is that over time it may have structural issues and even trap dirt within the diamond. Do you think this is a valid concern? What would you advise your buyer?

tomtaylor1234

Rough_Rock
you want the whole center to have nice facets (seen when the sto

ow anything

This one has crystal inclusions on the table. Look around 8 o'clock half way in between the outside of the table and the center of the table.

Do you know anything about picking out a well-cut oval with good light return? Unfortunately, its not that easy.

The best ovals
You want to pick a stone that has well-defined (non-mushy looking) facets as the stone moves. A lot of ovals only have nice facets thru the center area.
You dont want that...you want the whole center to have nice facets (seen when the stone moves).

The second best ovals...if you want a long oval (a lot of people do) look for one that has a really wide (widest possible) area you can find of good
facets. You'll still have mushy areas of V shape headed towards the pointed ends but at least it will be smaller. Take for example this stone...

V areas in blue are good facets with good light return. Areas in red are "mushy" facets. Try to maximize the blue areas and minimize the red areas.
Capture.PNG

Not good ovals
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.03-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-7362659 center is mostly mushy
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.20-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-9621736 only has a small areas of nice facets

Good luck...btw Ovals are cut with different mains. Try to find ones you like and look at the gia cert. You may see a pattern of what kind
4 mains
6 mains
8 mains
8 main offset

Wow thanks for the detailed explanation! I'll certainly take this into consideration, although it's quite hard for me to tell the difference, even looking at those images. But the second suggestion on V areas makes sense to me, is this similar to the bow-tie effect that I read about?

For example, this diamond seems to have the red areas mushy but the blue areas are nice clean. 2.01 Carat G SI1 Oval Diamond GIA Certified Excellent Cut - D45743258 (adiamor.com)

This one looks a lot clearer without the haziness, but it does have a lot more inclusions. 2.01 Carat G SI1 Oval Diamond GIA Certified Excellent Cut - D45896257 (adiamor.com)

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

The best ovals

Capture.PNG

Not good ovals

4 mains
6 mains
8 mains
8 main offset

Excellent review Tyty - would you like to cover off bow ties too :cool2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results