shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on a diamond?

largezebra

Rough_Rock
Hello - this is a great community. I was hoping to solicit some candid thoughts on the diamond with details below. Thank you in advance.

2.50 carat, J, VS2, all excellents
HSA: 1.0
gia snip.JPG snip2.JPG snip1.JPG

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a great diamond to my eyes. What is the price? Were you specifically looking for this particular "flavor" of diamond?

largezebra

Rough_Rock
It looks like a great diamond to my eyes. What is the price? Were you specifically looking for this particular "flavor" of diamond?

Thank you for the reply, Kim. I was quoted at $25k.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the reply, Kim. I was quoted at $25k.

The price seems very reasonable. If you wanted to get a super ideal cut diamond with a generous upgrade policy, these are some other options.

largezebra

Rough_Rock
The price seems very reasonable. If you wanted to get a super ideal cut diamond with a generous upgrade policy, these are some other options.

Thanks Kim, I appreciate the time taken in your reply and I will look into those diamonds!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The ones @Kim N posted are going to have a very different look than the one you posted.
It will look different than any other diamond you have likely seen.
Have you seen it in person?

largezebra

Rough_Rock
The ones @Kim N posted are going to have a very different look than the one you posted.
It will look different than any other diamond you have likely seen.
Have you seen it in person?

I’ve seen the one I posted in person. Can you elaborate on how the look will differ? Appreciate all the thoughts here.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve seen the one I posted in person. Can you elaborate on how the look will differ? Appreciate all the thoughts here.

This stone has chunkier facets due to the 70% LGF, so you'll see bigger, broader, bolder flashes of light. A typical super ideal cut diamond like the ones from Whiteflash will have faster, more splintery light return.

largezebra

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for this explanation and video. I now understand what you mean by “flavor”. To be frank, I hadn’t realized this difference could be so pronounced, but I see it clear as day now! Would it be fair to say that this would be a matter of total preference (ie. pros & cons to both ends of the LFG spectrum)? Or would a more seasoned diamond professional tend to steer their clients towards a LFG longer than the one I saw in person in this post.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you very much for this explanation and video. I now understand what you mean by “flavor”. To be frank, I hadn’t realized this difference could be so pronounced, but I see it clear as day now! Would it be fair to say that this would be a matter of total preference (ie. pros & cons to both ends of the LFG spectrum)? Or would a more seasoned diamond professional tend to steer their clients towards a LFG longer than the one I saw in person in this post.

The 2.5 J has a less drastic LGF than the one in the video (the one in the video has 61.97 LGF). Yes, it's mostly personal preference with pros and cons for both. However, most diamond vendors selling ideal cut diamonds will sell stones with LGF 75-80%.

largezebra

Rough_Rock
Ok understood. Thanks again for the input. I’ll need to see again in person with some others for context before I decide to pass on the stone or not. I hope not to overanalyze the numbers too much, but in this case it’s clearly an aspect that’s very much visible to the naked eye that I will need to consider more thoughtfully.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I found a video which illustrates this. The 2.5 J would be most similar to the bottom left stone.

Sorry to threadjack but the lower left looks like an AVR. Will the stone that OP posted looks like an OEC just of the lower facets @Kim N ?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to threadjack but the lower left looks like an AVR. Will the stone that OP posted looks like an OEC just of the lower facets @Kim N ?

The OP's stone will not look as close to an OEC. It has longer LGF, a larger table, and a shorter crown height than the stone in the lower left.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another difference is more dark area when obstructed.
ie more black in IS less red.
This can bother some people and others like it.

largezebra

Rough_Rock
Thank you all! While I still lean towards giving this diamond a chance, you have given me much food for thought and something to look for and compare against when I see it again in person.
Thanks!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all! While I still lean towards giving this diamond a chance, you have given me much food for thought and something to look for and compare against when I see it again in person.
Thanks!

Try to find a local jeweler in your vicinity that has the following:

2-3 carat AGS 000
...around a J color
...VS2 or better, no transparency issues
...54-57% table
...40.6-40.9° PA
...34-35° CA
...75-80% LGF
...stars around 50%

GIA 3X within those ranges should be fine for similar optics.
That will give you one heck of a great basis for comparison.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the WF, better diamond and great upgrade policy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results