shape
carat
color
clarity

Those that have Earth mined and are also buying Lab-created Diamonds...talk to me

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I don't have any lab diamonds...yet. But I am seriously thinking about it. I can afford the 2+ carat I would like to have as an ER upgrade in mined diamond, but my logical/frugal/guilty self is having second thoughts on spending that much on a single piece of jewelry. Especially, when I have my original (mined and sentimental) diamond now as a pendant, and I will loose my shirt on my first upgrade (mined diamond) if I trade it in in the process of this upgrade.

I have had two different local jewelers tell me that Debeers has been raising prices deliberately to market a "mystique" about mined diamonds to try to drive customers away from less expensive lab diamonds. And both said that they think they have made a mistake, because they now see the majority of their business going to lab diamonds. One jeweler said he himself was about to buy his own wife a 3.2 carat lab diamond for their coming anniversary.

I feel bad for vendors, this must have been/ is one wild ride.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So last weekend I went to a baby shower for my niece. Lots of ladies there. One young lady—about 34 or so, was wearing a 5 carat round solitaire. She is my cousin’s daughter. I see her at parties often, but we are not close. I do know that we go to the same jeweler—the one who has been advertising lab growns for a couple of years now. Anyhow. My sisters and other nieces were quick to point out that she was prob wearing a fake. I had to explain to them that it was likely a lab grown to which they responded—same difference—fake.
I should mention that they have all recently purchased diamond rings—2 of my sisters upgraded, and 2 of my nieces were recently proposed to—so they are very well aware of the 5th C— cost. In their mind, they could not fathom how anyone in our social circle could afford a 100k ring. And I had to agree. But I did tell them to check out my jeweler’s IG and draw their own conclusions about lab growns.
I should add that prior to her 5 carat, my niece was wearing a 1 carat.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am almost certain to be getting a heart shaped pink red LGD less than 1ct some time in the future, to be simply set and worn as a right hand ring.

There is no way I could afford such a stone in earth-mined diamond, so LGD it will have to be.

DK :))

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I am almost certain to be getting a heart shaped pink red LGD less than 1ct some time in the future, to be simply set and worn as a right hand ring.

There is no way I could afford such a stone in earth-mined diamond, so LGD it will have to be.

DK :))

Diamonds by Lauren had some cool purple pink lab hearts.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I feel bad for vendors, this must have been/ is one wild ride.

Yes, one of them was particularly dismayed. He said people would say to him: oh the rise in price is great, it means that your stock is more valuable. He responding, no, not when people can't afford what they want and they go and find other options. It actually hurt his business.

Debeers must be feeling it too, or I wouldn't be seeing a TV commercial for mined diamonds.

sparkleshimmer

Rough_Rock
I still havent been able to figure out how I feel about purchasing lab diamonds
for myself.

I already own two engagement rings that don't get enough wear. I'm also
a minimalist so I don't really need any more. My round ER is a K and I
wouldnt mind upgrading the color but that's going to cost me about $4k
to move to an "I" in the same size. $4k would buy a rather large lab
diamond (3+ carat). Actually, bigger than my mind really thinks I need.

So I'm wondering for those that have Earth-mined diamonds and are
also purchasing lab diamonds, what are you buying and what is your
thinking/feelings about enjoying both?

Actually, everyone is welcome to comment here no matter what you have
or what you have decided for yourself. I'm interested in hearing.

And, if I haven't said it, I support everyone's decision to own/wear what
they want. I'm just trying to figure out how I feel and want to know how
other PSers have figured it out for themselves.

I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but the Clear Cut (she’s a jeweler in NYC that is very active on tiktok) is gifting a 2 ct round cut diamond to anyone who purchases a natural engagement ring from her over 20k. She’s also retroactively giving them to pats customer as well. Thought this was interesting, she’s advertising it as a ring to travel with. A lot of people were upset in her comments, but I thought it was creative marketing if she really doesn’t ever want to sell to the lab grown market.

I’m in my 20s and my boyfriend and I are starting the process looking for rings, all the people we know who are engaged have huge 2-3 carat rings, (not assuming they’re all lab grown), but it’s hard to purchase a natural diamond now when most younger people have huge rings, the size difference is so large. My mom had a 1 carat ring that was stunning and that was more the norm 25 years ago, now a 1 carat seems small. That being said we’re going to go the antique route because having a natural diamond is important to me.

I think the moral of the story is to each their own

Rons Wolfe

Shiny_Rock
My engagement ring would never be replaced or upgraded, even if my husband were still alive. I just know that no other ring would ever feel the same, it wouldn't be my real engagement ring. My husband insisted it be a natural diamond, and I agree with him for that ring. For something else, I think I'd be willing to wear a lab diamond. I've considered a lab diamond for a 5 stone ring I'm having made, but keep balking on getting one. Maybe I'll try one for a pendant instead.

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
I recently purchased my first lab grown diamonds, a pair of 2ctw lab studs. The size is reasonable to what I would and could afford in earth mined. I purchased lab grown studs in anticipation that losing a diamond stud is much easier than any other piece of jewelry. My 1.75 ct. J color solitaire engagement ring and H color wedding bands are all earth mined. I would not exchange them for lab diamonds to increase size or higher color.

I struggle with lab diamonds looking a little too perfect. Colorless D,E,F lab diamonds seem to be the norm. I actually prefer near colorless in most stone shapes and cape in antique cuts. There’s something special about the warmth. I haven’t seen a successful J,K,L color lab diamond yet. If there is a resource out there, please let me know!

I also struggle with the sizes being worn in lab grown diamonds. What used to be very exclusive and expensive in earth mined is now affordable for many. The 1 carat diamond that was looked at as “wow” 30 years ago is now considered small.

This is just my point of view, I respect and honor opposing opinions.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @tyty333 :wavey:

I think lab diamonds were a game changer for all of us - whether you're a person who buys them, or whether you aren't. For those of us who love diamonds and jewelry in general, we all had to figure out where we stood on the issue.

After quite a lot of thought over the last couple of years, I'm firmly in the mined diamond camp, even if it compromises size (and I love me a little size - so don't get me wrong on that!).

I came up with *this* analogy, which helped me work out where I stood (and let me be VERY CLEAR - this is MY analogy. It works for me. It might not work for you).

When my DH and I lived in a town just outside of London for some years, we travelled over to Paris quite a lot. We loved the city and the food and the clothes, etc - so we went there often. We regularly stayed at a gorgeous hotel called The Victor Hugo Hotel. Over the course of our visits, we had meals cooked for us, both by Alain Ducasse and Joel Robuchon - both, at one time or another - considered to be the best chef in the world, both with restaurants with 3 Michelin stars, and both of them executive chef at The Victor Hugo Hotel in-house restaurant over the years. The food was sublime - everything you could hope for in a meal, every single time.

So - imagine time passes, technology develops, and we reach a point in culinary history where you can buy a vacuum packed bag of powder. All you need to do is add water, shove it in the oven for 45 minutes, and - poof! - you get an identical replica of the Joel Robuchon meal of your choice. And I mean EXACT.

Which meal would I rather have? The meal cooked for me by Robuchon himself, monstrously expensive and that I have to schlep to the other side of the world to eat - or - the waaaaay cheaper, in-my-own-kitchen, far more convenient version that tastes exactly the same?

And for me, I realized I'd rather have the one that took days to develop and prepare, the one cooked by "the original and the best", despite its inconvenience and cost. Because, to me, origin matters, and it's the *heart* of what makes that meal special.

When it comes to diamonds, in my head, diamonds are special - not just because they're big, or sparkly, or well cut - but because they come from the earth and they took millions of years to develop. Because they're natural. Because they're a freak of nature. To me, not only is that the best sort of diamond, their origin is an essential part of their definition.

But what makes a diamond a diamond to someone else may differ. And what a diamond's most important feature is will differ from person to person.

But to me, origin is everything.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I can only answer this for myself. I make no judgments of anyone else's choices or stances on the subject. For me and my collection, mined diamonds (and gemstones) go in jewelry I'd consider high jewelry. Lab diamonds (and gemstones) go in jewelry I'd consider more fun or playful jewelry.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Hey @tyty333 :wavey:

I think lab diamonds were a game changer for all of us - whether you're a person who buys them, or whether you aren't. For those of us who love diamonds and jewelry in general, we all had to figure out where we stood on the issue.

After quite a lot of thought over the last couple of years, I'm firmly in the mined diamond camp, even if it compromises size (and I love me a little size - so don't get me wrong on that!).

I came up with *this* analogy, which helped me work out where I stood (and let me be VERY CLEAR - this is MY analogy. It works for me. It might not work for you).

When my DH and I lived in a town just outside of London for some years, we travelled over to Paris quite a lot. We loved the city and the food and the clothes, etc - so we went there often. We regularly stayed at a gorgeous hotel called The Victor Hugo Hotel. Over the course of our visits, we had meals cooked for us, both by Alain Ducasse and Joel Robuchon - both, at one time or another - considered to be the best chef in the world, both with restaurants with 3 Michelin stars, and both of them executive chef at The Victor Hugo Hotel in-house restaurant over the years. The food was sublime - everything you could hope for in a meal, every single time.

So - imagine time passes, technology develops, and we reach a point in culinary history where you can buy a vacuum packed bag of powder. All you need to do is add water, shove it in the oven for 45 minutes, and - poof! - you get an identical replica of the Joel Robuchon meal of your choice. And I mean EXACT.

Which meal would I rather have? The meal cooked for me by Robuchon himself, monstrously expensive and that I have to schlep to the other side of the world to eat - or - the waaaaay cheaper, in-my-own-kitchen, far more convenient version that tastes exactly the same?

And for me, I realized I'd rather have the one that took days to develop and prepare, the one cooked by "the original and the best", despite its inconvenience and cost. Because, to me, origin matters, and it's the *heart* of what makes that meal special.

When it comes to diamonds, in my head, diamonds are special - not just because they're big, or sparkly, or well cut - but because they come from the earth and they took millions of years to develop. Because they're natural. Because they're a freak of nature. To me, not only is that the best sort of diamond, their origin is an essential part of their definition.

But what makes a diamond a diamond to someone else may differ. And what a diamond's most important feature is will differ from person to person.

But to me, origin is everything.

That’s a great analogy and it an apply to LGD lovers, too. If someone took me to dinner with a world class chef, I would be grateful to my companion and dazzled by the whole experience. And then after that I’d go to Costco and get the gourmet powder for myself. :) Also if my companion never took me to a dinner with a world class chef but just invited me over one night and made me a dinner out of the gourmet powder, I would still be impressed and grateful. So the anology works wonderfully.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Not to threadjack but since so many people already replied to the first question, can I ask some more for everyone? Not to be argumentative, just to continue the conversation… Let’s say somebody gifted you your holy grail diamond jewelry piece that you could never otherwise afford, except it is in LGD. Would you wear it? Now let’s say someone gifted you your HG diamond piece in LGD but you know if you save up, you could buy it in EGD in ten years. What would you do in that case? Finally, what if there were never any EGD. The only chance you ever have to wear diamonds is if they are lab grown. Would you wear LGD then? So far this thread has been very cordial and polite so these questions are not to argue, just to make conversation.

For me…
-I would wear a gifted LGD holy grail piece under either scenario but TBH I might also buy it in EGD in ten years if I could afford to save up…or not.
-No way would I go through life without diamonds… if only LGD existed, I would actually have a bigger collection because I would have saved $$$ on everything before 2020!

I guess those hypos help explain my position… I think EGD are special but I could never afford all the pieces I would love to collect if they were in EGD, so even though I think EGD are special I would not sacrifice my collection (e.g. my current beautiful pink LGD or a future tennis bracelet made out of AVRs or maybe a tiara…) to avoid LGD.

Curious to hear from others.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
That’s a great analogy and it an apply to LGD lovers, too. If someone took me to dinner with a world class chef, I would be grateful to my companion and dazzled by the whole experience. And then after that I’d go to Costco and get the gourmet powder for myself. :) Also if my companion never took me to a dinner with a world class chef but just invited me over one night and made me a dinner out of the gourmet powder, I would still be impressed and grateful. So the anology works wonderfully.

Ok y’all now I want the gourmet powder, please. Link??

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@oncrutchesrightnow

Yes, I would wear the gifted HG diamond, it would have sentimental value being a gift, that for me is more important than what the stone is.

In the second scenario, I would also wear the lab grown because I’m impatient and ten years is way too long. Live for today!

Finally, if lab grown was the only way, I would be fine with wearing them. I would probably aim for true antique setting though.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate and respect everyone's choices on how they feel about the diamonds they buy. I took a break from buying jewelry for almost 2 years. I have 2 EM E-rings but DSS sunk in and I want a bigger diamond. Right now the lab diamond prices IMHO are fantastic and many of them are cut so well. You can search the cut angles just like EM diamonds. The last 2 years have changed me and I think I will be just as happy with a lab diamond that is as durable and sparkly as an EM diamond.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really curious as to why MMDs have taken off so well but not lab created rubies, spinels, sapphires, emeralds etc. Aren't they on the same level?

Why are we not paying a few hundred and sporting 10ct+ perfect coloured CS instead of huge sums for tiny stones?

Why did I go off and buy a rubellite instead of a lab ruby?

I actually don't know! Maybe there's some psychological reason! Better to wear a big red tourmaline than a giant lab ruby. Why though?

Do you think it may be due to some of the poorly made settings that many created gemstones have historically been set in? I remember back in the day when malls were popular and there would be 4 or 5 jewelry stores selling gorgeous lab gemstones in low quality 10k gold settings. They would have sales on "ruby" rings for Valentines day, sapphires for Christmas and the settings were flimsy and not attractive. It made me associate lab gemstones with "cheap". I think that's what has always kept me away from lab gemstones.

P

Petalouda

Jewels By Grace has a 3.62 emerald cut ring (E VVS) posted on her site for 109k. You can buy a dazzling lab emerald cut from a vendor like distinctive gem and recreate the same ring for probably 20k or less. With how expensive mined diamonds have become, lab diamonds are a no brainer for me.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I think a more accurate food analogy is to treat natural diamonds as ingredients grown/raised in the wild vs lab diamonds as ingredients grown/raised in commercial farms.

The chefs (diamond cutters/vendors) and the restaurant experience (jewelry settings) can be completely the same. (JP, DG, BGD, etc.)

The food looks substantially the same when prepared the same way by the same people in the same restaurants, but food critics can still note the slight differences in taste.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I think a more accurate food analogy is to treat natural diamonds as ingredients grown/raised in the wild vs lab diamonds as ingredients grown/raised in commercial farms.

The chefs (diamond cutters/vendors) and the restaurant experience (jewelry settings) can be completely the same. (JP, DG, BGD, etc.)

The food looks substantially the same when prepared the same way by the same people in the same restaurants, but food critics can still note the slight differences in taste.

I also like the analogy of greenhouse flowers vs wild flowers.

B

Betty Baguette

I have new rings, one with mined diamonds, one with lab diamonds. I love them equally.

I also have antique and vintage jewelry, some with mined precious stones, some with lab precious stones (which were actually preferable at the time they were made). Love those equally too.

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
I have new rings, one with mined diamonds, one with lab diamonds. I love them equally.

I also have antique and vintage jewelry, some with mined precious stones, some with lab precious stones (which were actually preferable at the time they were made). Love those equally too.

PS I love your PS name “Betty Baguette”! My mom’s name is Betty, I am going to call her that next time I visit and see how she responds.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am curious as to why lab grown test differently than earth mined if they are identical in composition. The pawn shop showed me a machine in which lgd emit a red color. And they also test as moissanite on the classic diamond testers.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am curious as to why lab grown test differently than earth mined if they are identical in composition. The pawn shop showed me a machine in which lgd emit a red color. And they also test as moissanite on the classic diamond testers.

When I got my emerald cut diamond ring appraised..my appraiser tested the diamond to make sure it wasn’t a lab diamond. It had a GIA report so I knew it wasn’t.
When I purchased my smaller lab diamond studs from Ritani I tested them. They both came out as diamonds very quickly. I also tested my Lightbox diamond. It also quickly tested as a diamond. Those are the only lab diamonds I have.
I hope someone comes out with a less expensive lab diamond tester to make sure anything we buy preloved is a mined diamond..if that’s what you intend
to purchase.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

It's the Boron in HPHT.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
With prices of LGD reaching that of sapphires and even less than other colored gemstones if there will be changes to future colored gemstone engagement rings.

springsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I commented upthread, but I just had a new thought about this topic. I’ve always been drawn to diamonds because of their durability and sparkle. That’s why I love lab diamonds too- they have everything I’ve loved about mined diamonds, except at a lower price. I recently got my first lab diamond ring and I am over the moon with it. I love it as much as, if not more than, most of my mined diamond rings. I now have a few more lab pieces otw. I don’t think I’ll ever buy a modern/newly cut mined diamond again, unless it’s at a fabulous price.

That being said, I still adore mined antique diamonds. I will continue to collect antique diamonds/jewelry. I love their history and imperfections. I love their warm colors and chubby crowns. Newly cut diamonds don’t carry the same special qualities for me, so I don’t mind it they are lab grown.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I commented upthread, but I just had a new thought about this topic. I’ve always been drawn to diamonds because of their durability and sparkle. That’s why I love lab diamonds too- they have everything I’ve loved about mined diamonds, except at a lower price. I recently got my first lab diamond ring and I am over the moon with it. I love it as much as, if not more than, most of my mined diamond rings. I now have a few more lab pieces otw. I don’t think I’ll ever buy a modern/newly cut mined diamond again, unless it’s at a fabulous price.

That being said, I still adore mined antique diamonds. I will continue to collect antique diamonds/jewelry. I love their history and imperfections. I love their warm colors and chubby crowns. Newly cut diamonds don’t carry the same special qualities for me, so I don’t mind it they are lab grown.

You have certainly picked up some fabulous jewels!

I am with you on the authentic old cut antique diamonds. I'll pay for wonky charm. I don't think the labs can mimic a nice "M" cape diamond.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought I would update..I’m really a mined diamond person..I do wish I was mind clean for all lab diamonds. I purchased a Lightbox 1 carat round pendant in the very beginning..It’s very white and cut well..I now have it in a solitaire bangle with zero mind clean issues..It’s so sparkly..I‘m very happy I purchased it..and wear it almost every day stacked..I recently purchased a pair of 1.5 ctw lab diamonds from Ritani which David Klass made into studs for me. I really love them. I wear them more than I thought I would because I already have a 3.04ctw mined pair. I also have my very first mined 1.90 studs. David Klass made new settings for them. I wear the lab pair over the 1.90 studs. I do have in my mind that they are lab diamonds when I wear them but I do enjoy wearing them very much. I haven’t waivered since my post above so this seems like my comfort zone. I truly wish I didn’t have mind clean issues because I would love a lab diamond tennis bracelet. I don’t want to pay the price of mined. If a lab one popped up for a great price I may be tempted. :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results