shape
carat
color
clarity

Those that have Earth mined and are also buying Lab-created Diamonds...talk to me

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sister is in the market for diamond studs. She got a natural 1.94 ACA in 2020 for her 29th anniversary. When I told her that she could get lab growns from whiteflash and pay a fraction for them, she said hell no! Then people are gonna think that my engagement ring is fake too! Her words, not mine. I think that she feels she would have to tell people the studs are lab grown if they complimented them.

That's me Nala!!!

I'd be all: Oh this is lab created! I got it from xyz. I only paid $Z for it!

I'd find it exhausting but I'd feel compelled to do it!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But then you'd have to lie about it right? (General you, not you).

I couldn't deal with that! My friends are the most clueless people in the world when it comes to gems but no way would I feel right running around with a 5ct lab diamond and letting them think it cost as much as a mined diamond and that I've reached a certain financial place in life when I clearly haven't. To me it feels like you're faking it and that would make me question why I need to fake it?

Excellent point! My husband and I were talking about this tonight. He said, ‘would people really find it believeable that a young person would be sporting a 4 carat diamond in their twenties, early thirties if they weren’t living in the heart of NYC or Hollywood?’ I told him he was coming at it from a practical point of view and revealing his old fashioned thoughts - lol! I think today almost anything goes and if we weren’t PSers, we might not ever notice the diamond on her hand either! I do believe that there is some truth to that though. We all like to think we don’t judge but we make judgments about many people every day. Part of that is human survival; the other part probably snarkiness!

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
People around me will probably assume my 2ct lab is fake/moissanite/cz. I will most definitely let them know it's lab, lest they think I lost my ever-loving mind. We're doing okay, but not two carat diamond okay. It would never pass the sniff test.

Large diamonds are not a normal local custom.

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Omg!!!!!! Okies this is off topic but I just went to Google a random lab emerald and it was not as cheap as I expected!!!

About $1500 for a 9x7

Feels very expensive! I thought they were a few hundred dollars? Or am I stuck in the 90s????

:shock: Whoa, where is that?! That's too much! I was thinking more the few hundred dollar range for the good stuff!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:shock: Whoa, where is that?! That's too much! I was thinking more the few hundred dollar range for the good stuff!

To be fair this was a random google! I know nothing about this but yes I was also expecting to pay a few hundred for a glowy emerald!

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I am an equal opportunity EGD/MMD admirer, and I do own both.

Now, the following only applies to my thoughts when contemplating a purchase of fine jewelry for me: Antique pieces aside, I don't think I can stomach the prices for EGD. I just cannot wrap my mind around paying so much more for what amounts to, in my mind, a shiny rock. I love both the romanticism and science of how diamonds are grown in the earth, and the skill it takes to cut and polish one into something beautiful and eye catching that can enthrall you for hours, but I just can't justify the dollar amount for that visual enjoyment. Not when there are diamonds that provide that same mesmerizing sparkle for a fraction of the cost, the only difference being origin.

My original engagement ring was a CZ in white gold because I wanted something pretty that wouldn't break the bank. Pretty, for my own enjoyment, and at a price point that I won't feel guilty over summarizes what I'm seeking from each jewelry piece I own.

While that "price point I won't feel guilty over" has increased from a few hundred to several thousand dollars as we've worked our way into middle class, that still won't afford me the 4-5ct solitaire I want in an earth grown diamond.

To me, MMD provide all the visual appeal of diamonds without having to sacrifice on any of the 4 Cs at a price point that doesn't make me want to faint. Yup, I want it all and this allows me that!

While it makes me a little sad to think that my hypothetical 5 ct, D, FL, Super Ideal Hearts and Arrows MMD would make anyone with the same in an EGD feel theirs was ever cheapened or made lesser than, that's not going to stop me from loving the heck out of my super awesome amazing diamond that makes me giddy every time I look at it.

Ultimately, I think that's all we really want from our jewelry- something that makes us happy - regardless of origin. However, if the origin is a part of what brings someone that happiness, well, then the origin is important! My mom would not want a MMD in a million years, they are not special to her, and while I personally have a different opinion, I would never buy her one. Every piece of jewelry I buy my mom is natural/earth grown gemstones, because it means something to her, so therefore it means something to me when I'm buying for her.

Sorry it got a bit rambly, or if parts didn't quite make sense. It's hard to put into words all the mental calculations/gymnastics/feelings/the life experiences that resulted in one's currently held opinions sometimes.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I'm really curious as to why MMDs have taken off so well but not lab created rubies, spinels, sapphires, emeralds etc. Aren't they on the same level?

Why are we not paying a few hundred and sporting 10ct+ perfect coloured CS instead of huge sums for tiny stones?

Why did I go off and buy a rubellite instead of a lab ruby?

I actually don't know! Maybe there's some psychological reason! Better to wear a big red tourmaline than a giant lab ruby. Why though?

I have pondered the same conundrum about corundum.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t have any lab diamonds yet but I’m not completely opposed to them. I have a couple lab CS gems but I do tend to think of them as fakes, even though I know they technically aren’t. It doesn’t mean I don’t love them but it does mean I see them as less valuable and those are the ones I usually take on vacations and whatnot because I don’t have to worry about them as much. Honestly, that’s one of the reasons I haven’t moved into lab diamonds yet. I’m afraid I’ll drop a few thousand on a lab diamond and then end up thinking of it as a cheap “fake.” Damn my brain for wanting to feel mind clean about it. :wall:

Having said that, I’ve seen some pretty tempting (aka: less expensive) lab diamonds over on Parks Instagram. I can’t say I’m not interested. Added to that, if I ever want a pink or blue diamond, lab created is the only way that’s going to happen.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did that with my beautiful blue YAG stone by Stag and Finch. The cut is gorgeous..It has the most beautiful blue color. I had it removed from an expensive tapered baguette setting. It was my setting from my previous two carat diamond before my upgrade..I reset the YAG into a custom simple sterling silver bezel ring by David K. I purchased a natural tourmaline and set that into the expensive setting. In my mind it is now mind clean. The tourmaline although not expensive is natural so I feel good about it being in that setting. The YAG which is absolutely gorgeous…is in a sterling silver setting because it’s a lab stone. It’s beautiful but not real in my mind. It’s just a fun ring. I frustrate myself but that’s the way my mind works. I didn’t wear it in the expensive setting. Now I wear it more..but I only wear it on my right hand as a fun ring..

Last edited:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl
Personally I think the reason lab cs, including coloured diamonds, aren't comparable to white lab diamonds is because a coloured stone can have all the tones/colours of the rainbow and have internal issues that are harder to replicate. Of course, lab cs are possible to make, but the diversity/personality in different stones will be lost generally speaking.
A white diamond on the other hand is completely transparent, lacking in colour (mostly) and has (optimally) no inclusions. It has no "personality" in that sense. That makes a lab white diamond exactly the same product as a mined white diamond. There is absolutely no diversity, like with cs.

I have been looking at lab emeralds too, I have read somewhere that they are getting quite nice nowadays, compared to the old green glass looking labs. I haven't seen any IRL though. If they would be able to make nice emeralds within a better price range than mined, I would get one! Same with sapphires/rubies/whatever, if I would want a cs. I prefer white stones/diamonds though.

I think this discussion ultimately comes down to why you (not you, I mean generally) wear diamonds. I love how diamonds sparkle and I want white stones that don't wear or lose their sparkle over time. I don't wear diamonds because they are expensive. I don't mind if someone looks at my jewelry and thinks my gold is gold plated, nor do I care if they think the diamonds are lab or mined or cz. If someone asks I will tell. I do however like the feeling of making a good deal and not spend more than necessary on any purchase in life. :)

I honestly don't get the "it came from earth" argument. But to each their own.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I'm really curious as to why MMDs have taken off so well but not lab created rubies, spinels, sapphires, emeralds etc. Aren't they on the same level?

Why are we not paying a few hundred and sporting 10ct+ perfect coloured CS instead of huge sums for tiny stones?

Why did I go off and buy a rubellite instead of a lab ruby?

I actually don't know! Maybe there's some psychological reason! Better to wear a big red tourmaline than a giant lab ruby. Why though?

Omg!!!!!! Okies this is off topic but I just went to Google a random lab emerald and it was not as cheap as I expected!!!

About $1500 for a 9x7

Feels very expensive! I thought they were a few hundred dollars? Or am I stuck in the 90s????

Because lab CS are fake stones in my mind… I saw them in piles and piles and for like $50 per carat years ago at some trade shows and I’m simply not interested. It’s like wearing a fake Cartier or VCA in my mind. It’s just not the real thing.

So for lab diamonds I sort of think that way too even if they are not that cheap.

That said I’m open to the idea of getting labs for travel bling and also as setting stones for cheaper CS.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I sort of conducted my own experiment when I first joined PS.

I wanted a big old cut so I bought a beautiful white zircon to scratch the itch. Unfortunately, after a couple of months, I realized it wasn't mind clean for me so I went with an earth mined antique diamond.

But I can see both sides and enjoy reading about others' journeys-earth mined and manmade...

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t know yet how to explain my feelings. But I do want to share that outside of PS, everyone I know thinks of lab growns as fake. (And I’m only sharing this perspective bc some of us on PS tend to think the world of diamonds revolves around PS). They are not diamond connoisseurs, but they do associate the term lab with fake. We are not talking about old people either. The reality is that most posters who come to PS have a genuine interest in learning about diamonds, but most first time diamond buyers don’t bother to research a diamond and just to go mall stores or to a recommended jeweler for their ring.
I have tried to suggest lab growns to young couples—bc I’m a teacher and so are they—and they don’t care to listen. They are very assertive about them being fake and refuse to consider them.

Now, my jeweler has been pushing labs for a good two years. He hired an influencer to run his soc media and she has been pushing them a lot. However, they are not as inexpensive as you would think, especially given the prices that I see here on PS links. We are talking about 7k for a 2 carat, which compared to natural, of course is a deal. But not compared to the prices I’ve seen here on preloved or links. Also, they do not allow upgrades for labs. I think many who buy from him are clueless about how much more they can save online.

I’ll come back and add more later.

I have had the same experience. This is from people who are not very interested in jewelry, have never noticed mine, and have not bought any except for their engagement rings. But I admit I was surprised and a bit deflated by the attitude. I am used to people here who understand the appeal of lab diamonds and consider them a legitimate choice, even if they would choose mined for themselves.
For me, I have both lab and mined, and lab are *slightly* less mind-clean for me, BUT the $ savings, because I am very frugal, pushes me over the hump. I do want to keep my lab diamonds to a "believable" size; i.e., I could have bought and worn it in mined, but chose not to for the savings. I have had others who do notice the ring, but when the learn it is lab, it loses the appeal.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you worry about having spent too much on mined diamonds, that feeling won't get better by buying more mined diamonds...!
But on a more serious note, lab diamonds have not been available for that long. They weren't when I bought my mine diamonds. I prefer looking forward, what is done/bought is done. What counts is what you do now. ;-)

If lab diamonds are not mine-clean enough for me then any lab stone I purchased would be the waste of money (granted probably
a lot less money).

I get your point though...how I feel is what I'm trying to figure out/explore and I imagine (but not exactly sure) it may fall somewhere
in between. I may be comfortable with lab stones for fun jewelry/earrings but wont work for an engagement ring???

I think I've romanticised the hard-working family bringing up kids, paying their dues, and finally, for a big anniversary being
able to upgrade. That's how it worked with my family. My Mom got her upgrade for her 25th anniversary and then a nice
3-stone ring for her 50th anniversary. I'm having trouble with the paradigm shift in thinking.

P.S. Anyone else having problems with getting "Earth mined" and "Mind clean" spelled correctly? I keep typing "Earth Mind"! I'm
just going to assume you guys know what I mean if I don't catch my mistake!:lol:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If lab diamonds are not mine-clean enough for me then any lab stone I purchased would be the waste of money (granted probably
a lot less money).

I get your point though...how I feel is what I'm trying to figure out/explore and I imagine (but not exactly sure) it may fall somewhere
in between. I may be comfortable with lab stones for fun jewelry/earrings but wont work for an engagement ring???

I think I've romanticised the hard-working family bringing up kids, paying their dues, and finally, for a big anniversary being
able to upgrade. That's how it worked with my family. My Mom got her upgrade for her 25th anniversary and then a nice
3-stone ring for her 50th anniversary. I'm having trouble with the paradigm shift in thinking.

P.S. Anyone else having problems with getting "Earth mined" and "Mind clean" spelled correctly? I keep typing "Earth Mind"! I'm
just going to assume you guys know what I mean if I don't catch my mistake!:lol:

I see that I even messed up "mind clean" in the post I was discussing it in!:lol:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
A lot of people on PS probably know about my lab grown diamond journey, but not those that never look at the Lab Grown forum, so my apologies if you've heard this before.

I was searching for the my >2ct upgrade for my 20th anniversary when I discovered the wonderful world of lab-grown diamonds....I figured it would be at least ~ 20K to upgrade my then 1.8ct earth grown e-ring to a to my ideal every day size of around 2.5 carats in earth grown. So instead of trading in my 1.8ct earth grown diamond, I was able to use that 20K to 1) get a custom cut LGD OEC 2) get a custom made setting 3) get two new bands (earth melee) to go with my 20th anniversary ring and 4) get a nice pair of LGD to make my 1.8ct earth grown diamond into a beautiful 3-stone ring. I have the best of both worlds IMO. I can enjoy my solitaire anniversary ring AND my 3-stone without trade-in etc......I don't intend to resale either ring, and now I have 2 beautiful sets that I can enjoy on any given day. None of my friends, family or colleagues are really into diamonds, they just know that I have 2 really blingy sets! I have never felt the need to tell them whether they are lab grown or earth grown because they know I can afford the same sets in either form. I am also put that money I saved by going half lab and half earth mined into my kids' college tuition :) Win, win!

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl
Personally I think the reason lab cs, including coloured diamonds, aren't comparable to white lab diamonds is because a coloured stone can have all the tones/colours of the rainbow and have internal issues that are harder to replicate. Of course, lab cs are possible to make, but the diversity/personality in different stones will be lost generally speaking.

This is what I said to my husband when we were discussing the issue yesterday. Colored stones are so varied, even within a species.

I own a lab ruby ring that I bought for fun at a gem show because I liked the color, but I would not have paid more for it than I did (under $50). It is nothing like my genuine ruby which has silk. The lab stone lacks personality. It sits on my desk and I play around with it, but I don't wear it anywhere (I might have, but the shank is hollow cut and digs into my finger after about 10 minutes of wear). It's real corundum, but I would not represent it to anyone as a real ruby. A ruby is precious; this is commonplace.

On those occasions when I wish to wear more than my plain wedding band, I put on my genuine ruby ring. I have no desire for a diamond ring. I'm just not a diamond person. But if I did want a diamond ring, I would not hesitate to buy a lab stone. It would likely be a smallish stone in a low-set bezel setting, as I dislike cumbersome rings or rings that spin around on my finger. I would not feel I had to explain what it was it to anyone. To me, a diamond is a diamond.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m currently looking to purchase a lab emerald cut diamond. I’ve never had one before but right now prices appear to be low and I’ve always wanted an emerald.
I have earth mined diamonds that I am very happy with but I really want to see what all the hype is about. I’m really excited about this.
My requirements for my lab Diamond are things I would look for if I was buying an earth mined Diamond. So I want a realistic color for me (G- H), a realistic size for me (about 2.7- I have a 3 carat ACA), and not a perfect clarity stone ( VS1 unless I find a great deal).
I don’t want a perfectly cut lab Diamond either. I’m certainly not perfect so my Diamond can’t be either. It has to have something imperfect about it.

The only thing I’m uncertain about is size. Im not sure if I should go slightly bigger so I don’t experience Diamond shrinkage or stay at the 2.7 carats.
I did order a 2.7 berricle ring to see if I like the size. I previously purchased a 2.1 berricle ring and it’s a little small for me.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a lot less money).

I understand you feeling like you should follow the same pattern as your mother, but maybe your life doesn’t mirror your mother’s. If you want an upgrade and can do so, why wait? She would probably be happy for you to have something that makes you happy even if you didn’t have to wait for those milestone anniversaries to make it happen. Life is so unpredictable and while I can understand taking care of family first, I am sure you would not be irresponsible with your decision. There are plenty of years in life spent waiting for the things we want - make time for some of those things while you can really enjoy them!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m currently looking to purchase a lab emerald cut diamond. I’ve never had one before but right now prices appear to be low and I’ve always wanted an emerald.
I have earth mined diamonds that I am very happy with but I really want to see what all the hype is about. I’m really excited about this.
My requirements for my lab Diamond are things I would look for if I was buying an earth mined Diamond. So I want a realistic color for me (G- H), a realistic size for me (about 2.7- I have a 3 carat ACA), and not a perfect clarity stone ( VS1 unless I find a great deal).
I don’t want a perfectly cut lab Diamond either. I’m certainly not perfect so my Diamond can’t be either. It has to have something imperfect about it.

The only thing I’m uncertain about is size. Im not sure if I should go slightly bigger so I don’t experience Diamond shrinkage or stay at the 2.7 carats.
I did order a 2.7 berricle ring to see if I like the size. I previously purchased a 2.1 berricle ring and it’s a little small for me.

You can use diamdb if you want to get basically the same coverage as your 3 carat ACA (or go bigger for DSS, or smaller if you dont
want as large or as much finger coverage as your ACA). It would be fun to play around with and compare RB finger coverage with EC
coverage either way!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Re lab CS, for me, I never cared whether CS were lab or earth. I only cared for pricing purposes. Don’t know why.

For diamonds I like LGD for unusual cuts that I would not risk $$$ on in case I did not love them. Also colors — no way I could ever afford the gorgeous LGD pink diamond I have unless I sold every other piece I collected over years.

EGD are more special to me personally but there is a limit to the value of that specialness. Or another way of looking at it, I will not give up collecting something because the only way I could get it would be to buy LGD.

I fully support anyone who wants to wear giant diamonds. Please stand next to me in the Costco checkout line.

Curious to hear about some people saying they felt LGD were fake. I was under the impression that younger people preferred LGD. Any solid statistics?

Imagine being 25, having student debt, wondering if you can ever buy a house, thinking you might not retire for more than forty years, and then you go diamond shopping. Imagine looking under those cheesy jewelry store microscopes. Seeing color and clarity and carat and cut in real life. And then realizing what you can and cannot afford for $5,000.

Fun thread. Would love to read more responses.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can use diamdb if you want to get basically the same coverage as your 3 carat ACA (or go bigger for DSS, or smaller if you dont
want as large or as much finger coverage as your ACA). It would be fun to play around with and compare RB finger coverage with EC
coverage either way!

Thanks! I did that last night. It doesn’t seem to be much of a difference between a 2.7 or 3 emerald so I may just go bigger.
Hopefully my berricle will come in soon.
Also I wanted to say I am going to get my lab from a company with a good return policy.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking about how I would respond if I did wear lab grown and someone commented on my ring. I personally wouldn’t feel the need to disclose it’s lab grown, not because I’m trying to hide it but because I wouldn’t think to say that. It feels a bit like when someone asks how you are, they typically aren’t looking for your whole life story. I would just say thank you and keep it moving.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is such an interesting discussion!
I don't have a lab diamond (yet!), but I do talk to a lot of younger folk who LOVE them, and don't consider them fake at all. In fact, the people who like them/have them are of the mindset "why pay more if I don't have to?". I'm not sure on the pricing these days, but I do know they are still drastically cheaper than mined, and from what I've seen/heard people are not necessarily saving the extra cash, but getting more diamond for it. Ex if their budget is $2k, they could get a 0.5 ct mined or a 2ct lab (totally made up #s), they are going for the larger lab.

IMO mined diamonds will always be a little bit more "special", but I wouldn't consider labs fake at all. Similar to how salt and pepper diamonds had a phase (no idea if those are still popular), obviously they are heavily included and much much cheaper, but do people still feel like those people wearing them are imposters or wearing a "fake" diamond? If someone receives a compliment on an I1 or s&p diamond, should they be disclosing "Oh thank you, but its not an IF"? Some of the comments have an air of "if I don't look crazy rich I don't want to wear it anymore" which is a bit disheartening. Obviously diamonds are a status symbol, but I don't think anyone should be gatekeeping that.

My heart will always belong to antique diamonds, with lower colours, wonky cuts and real history though. I do like the idea of lab earrings, I might wear earrings more often if I'm not *as* concerned about losing one!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Similar to how salt and pepper diamonds had a phase (no idea if those are still popular), obviously they are heavily included and much much cheaper, but do people still feel like those people wearing them are imposters or wearing a "fake" diamond? If someone receives a compliment on an I1 or s&p diamond, should they be disclosing "Oh thank you, but its not an IF"

I guess I don't see that as the same thing. A S & P diamond isn't manmade. I think the fake perception is the fact that lab diamonds are manmade, not earth made. Not whether they have high clarity or not.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
For those on the fence, I wear earth grown, lab grown diamonds all jumbled together everyday and love that I can have variety!
66FF7793-789F-4A75-8589-D4B987C75391.jpeg

Attachments

• 71606BB0-3A3F-4029-B102-A97F16439295.jpeg
    71606BB0-3A3F-4029-B102-A97F16439295.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 25

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I don't see that as the same thing. A S & P diamond isn't manmade. I think the fake perception is the fact that lab diamonds are manmade, not earth made. Not whether they have high clarity or not.

I guess the thought process would be a diamond is a diamond is a diamond. It's not a simulant, it's not a different substance. I believe I've also heard it compared to an IVF baby rather than a naturally conceived baby. Baby is still a baby, just gets to us a different way. Of course people can feel differently, thats just my thinking.

eta - Too late to edit my other post, but I forgot another big reason I hear for lab diamonds - eco friendly! Many of the youngins I see are quite environmentally conscious and actually like that the stones don't come from a mine. I'm not aware if they are/how much they are better for the environment, but that's another viewpoint ive heard.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results