shape
carat
color
clarity

Those that have Earth mined and are also buying Lab-created Diamonds...talk to me

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

To be fair this was a random google! I know nothing about this but yes I was also expecting to pay a few hundred for a glowy emerald!

You can ask Gary or Jeff to cut you one for less than that!

Gary has one listed on his site at present:
https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p817/2.74CtLabCreatedEmerald.html

DK ;)2

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@tyty333 this thread and topic has been enlightening to read. Very interesting to see how many different points of view, and how they have evolved from a couple years ago.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My LGD purchases to date were for cluster earrings in various designs only.

I have costume jewellery pieces in CZ and Moissy, and regularly wear them mixed with pieces with LGD and earth-mined diamonds (EMDs).

I don't want people to think a piece of my jewellery can't be real as they think I can't possibly afford them had they been real - real as in EMDs and real earth-mined gemstones.

There is one notable exception in that I regularly wear a 5ct heart cut Moissy as a pendant. Oh, and a couple of lab CS too like an Emerald from Jeff W and a Sapphire from Gary B.

DK :))

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
eta - Too late to edit my other post, but I forgot another big reason I hear for lab diamonds - eco friendly! Many of the youngins I see are quite environmentally conscious and actually like that the stones don't come from a mine. I'm not aware if they are/how much they are better for the environment, but that's another viewpoint ive heard.

I totally understand this and agree with being eco-friendly and helping the environment. and I try to be eco-friendly where I can. But then why buy something that even looks like an earth mined stone If you're opposed to the method of mining them? Why not just eschew the whole concept of anything that comes out of the earth that requires mining or is bad for the environment in other ways. We all think differently about these things and one isn't right or wrong, but I'm trying to get my mind around how to reconcile them.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
My DH's nephew just got engaged (both are in their early 30s), and they were thrilled to have the option for lab. They chose a size they could afford for EGD, and put the rest toward a downpayment on their house. Win-win!

My niece and her guy are looking at rings, and they've also chosen the lab route so they can also put the difference to a downpayment for a house. Same story for my nephew. The latter two couples are also looking at diamond sizes that they would be able to afford if it were earth-grown, and they all feel great about their choices. :kiss2: Many of their friends are doing the same thing.

I cannot fault the above logic, and if I were at that stage of life, I would likely do the same. :)

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted this in the other thread but then it occurred to me that it belonged here too.

Most people won’t admit that an added bonus of wearing a diamond is the status symbol that it has become—-but not necessarily so others can notice it. I’m pretty sure most strangers think my ring is a cubic zirconia bc I’m a Latina and, let’s face it, lots of racism still, but also, bc I dress modestly. What I mean about a status symbol is that for me, it actually became a quest to search for the perfect, bigger diamond. It became an achievement—with every upgrade. No one realized when I went from a 2.20 to a 2.90 bc my social circle doesn’t care or know. But I knew. And I was proud that hubby and I did that. Proud that one day I would have an heirloom to pass on to my DD.
Now that labs are making diamonds so ubiquitous—does it rob me of my joy? No. I still love my ring. Do I wonder if I can make thousands and buy a bigger one? I’m sure I could, but I wouldn’t feel as proud. Nothing special to ME. And I’m not out to purport to be a millionaire by wearing a 7 carat lab emerald cut like celebrities—which I could easily afford. I would have just worn a cubic zirconia years ago if that was the case and avoided diamonds altogether. All this to say that everyone enjoys the bonus of status symbol and that’s why many restrict their labs to “reasonable sizes” so no one thinks they are lab or “fake.” The resounding Chant is basically that a lab is the look for less, but no one has to know. On the flip side, natural diamond owners are pissed that their status symbol might be mistaken for a lesser value and that they might be perceived as people who were out “for the look for less” when the reality is, they worked hard or had a hubby who did, for their symbol.
In reality—no one will care who spent what—except for robbers—and many will make their own conclusions about lab, fake, natural, etc, based on social markers , racism, age, profession, cars—like they always have been making.
And I should also add that lab owners should be just as pissed with the downward trend of lab pricing bc many of the early purchasers spent way more for the same product that is now selling for a fraction. Many of those actually bought the labs out of concern for the environment, as they were originally marketed, but now these labs have become popular out of concern for people’s finances.

Last edited:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally understand this and agree with being eco-friendly and helping the environment. and I try to be eco-friendly where I can. But then why buy something that even looks like an earth mined stone If you're opposed to the method of mining them? Why not just eschew the whole concept of anything that comes out of the earth that requires mining or is bad for the environment in other ways. We all think differently about these things and one isn't right or wrong, but I'm trying to get my mind around how to reconcile them.
I don't think wanting to be eco friendly/ier means you have to throw the whole concept away. Are vegans not allowed wear pleather shoes or bags or drink oat milk? Or straw lovers find non-plastic alternatives? Engagement rings are steeped into society and have a long history. While I think it would be amazing if we all started from scratch and picked whatever we want as an engagement ring, it's not surprising to me to hear of people still wanting a diamond, but wanting to find ways that are more in line with their views. Different strokes and all that.

Last edited:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I should also add that lab owners should be just as pissed with the downward trend of lab pricing bc many of the early purchasers spent way more for the same product that is now selling for a fraction.

This is actually why I haven't purchased yet haha. I assume (hope?) prices will keep going down. And ideally cut quality going up!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are all such thoughtful, well-considered posts; I am enjoying and learning and agreeing and disagreeing -- this thread is a prime example why I love the PS community -- thanks everyone =)2

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is such an interesting conversation! Thanks for posing the question, @tyty333 !

I purchased my first LGD last year when I did my ER reset. I did not want to sell or melt down the platinum setting my husband chose for me, for sentimental reasons. I obtained a small emerald cut for the ring. I use it casually and it has become my go-to ring for traveling to places where we will be more active (beach, hiking, biking, etc) due to its smaller size.

For my second (and last, at least for now) piece, I purchased diamond studs. I have known the pain of losing EMD earrings (2 ctw) almost 10 years ago and never got around to replacing them. This was a good alternative that I do not have to worry so much about and they are very sparkly!

I also had my very first diamond piece, a 1 carat solitaire pendant necklace from my dad, stolen from a hotel room years ago (2007). I have never replaced that, but if I do, I might do so with an LGD.

I have no “mind-clean” issues because my LG pieces are in a separate category from my other pieces. I enjoy them all equally, with the added bonus of not being so worried about losing or damaging the LG pieces. I don’t need to insure them either.

I honestly don’t think it has to be one or the other - I will continue to purchase EMD, especially since I have a burgeoning interest in antique/vintage/old cuts and fancy colors. I will continue using natural stones for my commemorative pieces (especially because my hubby will pay for it :lol: ). I may purchase more LGD in the future, but there is nothing I need at the moment. I will continue to purchase colored gemstones (surprisingly, this is where I have a bit of a mind-clean hurdle to overcome…I purchased my first lab CS - a Paraiba YAG that is beautifully cut, but I just don’t enjoy it nor have plans to set it) AND vintage jewelry AND costume jewelry AND all types of jewelry…and I will wear them all joyfully!

I think others’ sentiments hit the nail on the head - I wear my jewelry because it is pretty, it reminds me of good times, of challenges surpassed, of people in my life, of places visited and milestones met - not because it is expensive/rare. So I don’t mind if others have bigger/whiter/clearer pieces due to it being LG. Heck, there will ALWAYS be more impressive pieces out there (EMD or LGD), do not let it lessen your joy or reduce the value you place on your pieces.

Cheers to everyone having access to sparkly bling they enjoy!!!

HGar

Shiny_Rock
I believe I've also heard it compared to an IVF baby rather than a naturally conceived baby. Baby is still a baby, just gets to us a different way

I’ve never heard of this analogy but IMO it is true. I’ve shied away from lab diamonds but every reasoning I have for choosing a stone could equally support buying a MMD rather then a EGD. Plus the fact that the Australian exchange rate is woeful and for my budget MMD would achieve a higher colour plus clarity is a pretty big plus. Add into this my actual guilt of physically spending any money on something frivolous such as a diamond it’s starting to make me reconsider.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always wanted a big diamond but am uncomfortable with the cost. I could buy the kind of mined diamond I want for $40k, and afford it, but it's just SO much money for something so small! It wouldn't matter if I was a billionaire, the cost would probably ruin the enjoyment, for me. I must have some internal limits as to how much is reasonable to spend on one piece of jewelry. So this is a timely question, because recently I looked at lab-grown diamonds, and I could have a truly amazing stone for about 4k. I can see the mind-clean issues, and I have them too, but I'm almost at the stage where I've reasoned myself out of it. In my view, there really is no reason not to like lab diamonds. They're the exact same thing as natural diamonds, just made much quicker and not in the earth. I mean, they really are the exact same thing. I haven't seen them in person, but I bet a well-cut 3-carat lab diamond looks INCREDIBLE!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Add into this my actual guilt of physically spending any money on something frivolous such as a diamond

I don't think that diamonds are frivolous if they make you really happy and if you can afford them. We could equally say that spending time fishing is frivolous, not to mention cruel, but fishing makes some people happy.

On a wider note, I do think that things women like are often criticized, while things that men like are not. I'm not saying that you were doing that, just that liking things like jewelry, makeup, clothes etc. is often seen as ditzy, non-intellectual, materialistic, etc. and just generally bad. But ultimately those things are about artistry or appreciation of beautiful things. As if fast cars that pollute the planet and might kill people are better, or as if hitting a tiny ball and paying a fortune to do so is better (golf). In other words, don't let anyone make you feel guilty for your diamonds! Appreciating a well-cut diamond is an art form, and it makes perfect sense to like something so beautiful!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imagine being 25, having student debt, wondering if you can ever buy a house, thinking you might not retire for more than forty years, and then you go diamond shopping. Imagine looking under those cheesy jewelry store microscopes. Seeing color and clarity and carat and cut in real life. And then realizing what you can and cannot afford for $5,000.

I think most of us lived this @oncrutchesrightnow. No need to imagine! Heck, I lived it twice!:lol: One ended up being a broken engagement and the other was my first marriage.

I get your point though. If there were other options at the time (there were not) might I have gone for it??? I truly can't answer that
question but I think if everyone else was going for lab stones then I probably would too.

I have a 29 year old son who just got out of a broken engagement. He is now stuck with a half carat diamond that's not really
worth much compared to what he paid (he didn't come to me first, they wanted their own "experience"). I sure wish he had bought
a lab stone. He could have bought a half-carat lab stone for probably less than $400 (+ setting). I haven't got the nerve to tell him
how much their "experience" cost him. He could have had a nice EMD for a whole lot less if he came to me first.:roll2: I don't sound
bitter do I???:wink2:

Edit...and for him, I would recommend a lab-grown diamond in the future (if his GF is good with it).

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly don't feel
I think most of us lived this @oncrutchesrightnow. No need to image! Heck, I lived it twice!:lol: One ended up being a broken
engagement and the other was my first marriage.

I get your point though. If there were other options at the time (there were not) might I have gone for it??? I truly can't answer that
question but I think if everyone else was going for lab stones then I probably would too.

I have a 29 year old son who just got out of a broken engagement. He is now stuck with a half carat diamond that's not really
worth much compared to what he paid (he didn't come to me first, they wanted their own "experience"). I sure wish he had bought
a lab stone. He could have bought a half-carat lab stone for probably less than $400 (+ setting). I haven't got the nerve to tell him
how much their "experience" cost him. He could have had a nice EMD for a whole lot less if he came to me first.:roll2: I don't sound
bitter do I???:wink2:

I've started brainwashing mine already! I'm all: You come to Mumma if you want to marry someone and Mumma will let you pick a free ring from the collection. No need to spend any of your own money on it!

He's a pretty frugal child so maybe years of this brainwashing will help!

ETA: He's 10

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love being able to pass down an heirloom @mellowyellowgirl ! Unfortunately, I don't have any rings I'm willing to part with yet!

I'm no saint! I will hide the yellow diamond and a few other CS goodies! He's lucky because I do not give a flying fig about the white diamonds so he can have anything he wants from that set!

Is it really bad that I'll hide my Spess ring but will happily give him the E, IF diamond?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly don't feel

I've started brainwashing mine already! I'm all: You come to Mumma if you want to marry someone and Mumma will let you pick a free ring from the collection. No need to spend any of your own money on it!

Same! Our (almost 16 year old) son is very frugally minded, he always goes to the clearance section before even looking at anything regularly priced. Actually if he can get something secondhand that would be his first choice. I hope he finds someone as open minded and who loves football lol!

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
I happily own both. For me, though, LGDs do not feel special, so for something that has sentimental value (like my e-ring), I would only go EGD (and preferably true antique--there's just something extra special about a beautiful piece crafted by hand before modern cutting/setting/etc technology was available).

I do now prefer LGDs for pieces that hold no sentimental value, though. I only have one so far--a pair of 8x GCAL studs from DG. I was hesitant to spend the money because I think LGDs will only get better and cheaper over time. But I really wanted a new pair of studs, and after reading through a lot of the discussion on PS, figured that even if the value went to zero, I'd be in no worse shape than if I'd bought the equivalent EGDs and then tried to resell them. They do not feel special, but they are gorgeous and sparkly, which is all I was looking for. And in the end, I am happier to have saved so much money relative to EGDs of the same size/quality.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Would it be in poor taste if I proposed to your son? I realize he's 10. I'm willing to have a loooooooong engagement -- as long as I can wear the ring the whole time! :lol:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My feelings are complicated. Most of my diamonds are EG, and they feel romantic and special to me. I think it's because they are formed deep in the earth and are billions of years old, beautiful and enduring.

I wasn't interested in LGs for myself, but I thought they were a great option for anyone who was interested in them.

I ended up trying an LG because I always wanted a fancy vivid pink diamond, and an EG one with the specs I wanted was out of my budget. I found an LG that fit the bill, and I love it!

I also wanted a larger emerald cut diamond for an anniversary present. I struggled with my decision for quite awhile, but ultimately decided to go with LG. It came down to getting the specs and size I wanted while keeping within my budget.

So, where do I stand on this topic? I will still buy EG diamonds. I used high end EG mele in my snake bracelet. I will still buy LG diamonds, especially in different and unique shapes. I already have a new project in mind and plan on using LGs for it. I guess you could say I am an equal opportunity diamond lover.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Let me come back around this again. *Sigh* because I will be honest, I do have more feelings that have popped up.

LGD is great and not knocking them and I will continue to buy them, but the other day I received two pieces of jewelry.

My 2.2ct Round Brilliant, which had sizing bumps added, and a pair of Victorian earrings with tiny little old mine cut diamonds (maybe .10, if that).

The Victorian earrings feel like a treasure. The tiny little diamonds flash color. I love them. The ring is a nice, glittery ball of lovely diamond (still in shock at what 2 carats look like, holy smokes!) but I do not feel in awe and appreciation in the same way.

Just dropping this here.

Last edited:

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
I happily own both. For me, though, LGDs do not feel special, so for something that has sentimental value (like my e-ring), I would only go EGD (and preferably true antique--there's just something extra special about a beautiful piece crafted by hand before modern cutting/setting/etc technology was available).

I do now prefer LGDs for pieces that hold no sentimental value, though. I only have one so far--a pair of 8x GCAL studs from DG. I was hesitant to spend the money because I think LGDs will only get better and cheaper over time. But I really wanted a new pair of studs, and after reading through a lot of the discussion on PS, figured that even if the value went to zero, I'd be in no worse shape than if I'd bought the equivalent EGDs and then tried to resell them. They do not feel special, but they are gorgeous and sparkly, which is all I was looking for. And in the end, I am happier to have saved so much money relative to EGDs of the same size/quality.

Let me come back around this again. *Sigh* because I will be honest, I do have more feelings that have popped up.

LGD is great and not knocking them and I will continue to buy them, but the other day I received two pieces of jewelry.

My 2.2ct Round Brilliant, which had sizing bumps added, and a pair of Victorian earrings with tiny little old mine cut diamonds (maybe .10, if that).

The Victorian earrings feel like a treasure. The tiny little diamonds flash color. I love them. The ring is a nice, glittery ball or lovely diamond (still in shock at what 2 carats look like, holy smokes!) but I do not feel in awe and appreciation in the same way.

Just dropping this here.

Reading @MMtwo 's post, I realized that I should probably clarify what I meant by "not special" with LGDs. I hope no one took it as me casting shade on someone who loves their LGDs--I did not mean to do so. But, like @MMtwo with her new earrings, my antique pieces are just treasures to me. My LGD studs are beautiful and do make me happy, so they are special in a sense. But if something happened and I had to get a different pair of studs, the only pain I'd feel would be the hassle/loss of money. I could get new studs just as nice. If I lost my e-ring, though, I'd be absolutely devastated, because it is so special and not replaceable. For me, that's what I want in a sentimental piece.

Bravissimo

Shiny_Rock
This conversation reminds me of the anxiety a lot of breast cancer patients have about wigs. When you first lose your hair and get a wig you’re all worried people will know until you settle down eventually and realize nobody is actually paying attention to you. They are too wrapped up in their own life. Now maybe some girl you have been friends with or related to but have a sort of competitive thing going on with will scrutinize you and wonder or care or be jealous enough to ask, but you only need to share if you want to. Otherwise “It was a gift,” is all you need to say. Even if it was a gift to yourself!

I agree on the specialness factor for e-rings but PS is a very special little niche. Most people who get e-rings are just so appreciative he proposed!!!

My boo bought me an earth mined ideal cut emerald cut 2 Ct E color from Brian Gavin for my e-ring but only because I spent a year hunting for THE ONE and told him where to go an what to buy. It was important to me at my stage of life (55+) to have him put a big down payment down on me. Lol. I was told they aren’t cutting them any more and that made me feel like it’s a one of a kind stone even if it doesn’t face up massive or discoball-y. When my mom was in the nursing home with dementia she never failed to grab my hand and say he was a good man for sticking with me.

I did have a lab sapphire put in my 3 stone e-ring from my ex and took out the center diamond. It’s every bit as pretty as any blue earth mined sapphire would be. But I expect there’s plenty of cool novel colors you can only find in Montana mines but I wanted a traditional look and lab was fine for that.

I probably will make a flower cluster necklace with my old 1.5ct center stone and use labs for the petals. If anyone asks if they are real I will say “yes”. It’s just alot more reasonable price point.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am quite happy with both! In 42 years I never really looked at my diamond and thought about where it came from. I don’t feel any romance from it coming from the ground, never thought about it. My new labs are the same. I don’t think about how they are manufactured. All I see is shiny bling and that makes me happy! Lab bling gives me more for my money.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I love having the option for lab diamonds! It lets me have more variety in my jewelry within my budget. Because they are chemically diamonds and perform visually as diamonds, I don’t feel that they’re “fake”, and I don’t mind talking about the origin. I will say though that I feel more emotional about gorgeous vintage/antique pieces especially if they’re a little wonky in a good way. My original engagement ring and most of my favorite pieces are vintage/preloved. But for non-vintage, precision cut stones in modern designs, for studs, etc I am all about the lab stones.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
My feelings continue to be that each piece of jewelry is as special as I make it - whether that be a custom piece or one I spot that just rings absolutely right with me. I am selective about my jewelry and prefer to buy for special occasions in my life to help justify each piece.

(Some controversial personal opinions below)

Some people will buy labs as more fashion jewelry, that doesn't make lab diamond jewelry less beautiful to me. The same is true of earth grown.

The part I don't love about the LG forum at this point is the push to find diamonds for cheaper and cheaper. I love finding things within budget, but jewelry is not a bargain hunt to me.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have any lab diamonds...yet. But I am seriously thinking about it. I can afford the 2+ carat I would like to have as an ER upgrade in mined diamond, but my logical/frugal/guilty self is having second thoughts on spending that much on a single piece of jewelry. Especially, when I have my original (mined and sentimental) diamond now as a pendant, and I will loose my shirt on my first upgrade (mined diamond) if I trade it in in the process of this upgrade.

I have had two different local jewelers tell me that Debeers has been raising prices deliberately to market a "mystique" about mined diamonds to try to drive customers away from less expensive lab diamonds. And both said that they think they have made a mistake, because they now see the majority of their business going to lab diamonds. One jeweler said he himself was about to buy his own wife a 3.2 carat lab diamond for their coming anniversary.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results