shape
carat
color
clarity

Those Stupid Ring Sizers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They stink.

I just went to a mall and visited 7 jewelers to get my finger sized.
I swear those sizer rings are not calibrated.
I had one place tell me I was size 8, 8.25 and another, 8.5 at another and 8.75 at another.

I know you have to take into account the width and we tried that too.

Then I tried to buy a cheap ring that fits (ignoring what size they say it is) and just send that to the ringmaker.
But I could only find sizes that were whole numbers.

ARRRG

This reminds me of shopping for shoes.
Sizes vary.
7.gif

Does anyone have the diameter measurements for the sizes?
It seems the only way to do this is ignore the "size" numbers and measure the diameter and build the ring to, say, 0.684 inches.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Were they all the same width band?

Do you know who you are going to have make the ring? If so could you try on their 8? and take it from there?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No they were not all the same width but we tried to take that into account.

When the band is more narrow, like 2 mm, a smaller size will feel right, so I tried to compensate for that.

The maker is far away so there is no way to try on his rings.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah the whole width thing gets tricky for you guys.
Do you know what width you want? I guess that would be the starting point- also I don''t know where you are, but it''s FREEZING where I live and my fingers are so skinny right now, you should take that into consideration too.

Funny since I feel the rest of me has a layer of blubber for insulation but my fingers are downright svelte right now!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the skin it will be about 4 mm.
Most of the sizers are 2 or around 7 mm.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a site with the conversions.

link

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
Why don''t you bring your own measuring stick and offer to calibrate everyone''s ring sizers? :)

Another problem with the ring sizer sticks especially, is that I can measure say 7 if I just drop it on there lightly... or I could measure 7-1/2 if I make it snug and I could measure 8 if I really shove it on there. So some people will apply more pressure then others is what I''m saying and this throws off the measurement.

Yet another problem is when ordering not every manufacturer measures them the same place. Some measure at the dead center, some at the leading edge, etc.

Like you said the best way is to measure diameter, maybe get yourself a vernier/micrometer (you can get a cheap one for like $30 on ebay).

I just found this ring size chart, I''m really not sure how accurate it is however. I just measured 2 rings for you:

Size 10 reads 19.8mm dia
Size 7 reads 17.4mm dia
... so my measurements seem pretty close to that chart :) Hope that helps.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually I do have a nice Swiss made Brown & Sharpe dial calipers.

My Gelin Abaci size 8 measures 0.712 at the widest".
That online conversion chart says it should be 0.716".
4 mils off ain't too bad.

I just measured Jose's size 10.5 ring.
It is supposed to be 0.797" and it was 0.792".
Boone does very precise work.

I think I am going to order it to be .712"".

They can just make it to a measurement, not a size.

I'd love it if you sellers would measure your sizers with calipers and report how accurate they are per the chart in this link.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 11:39:31 PM
Author: kenny
Actually I do have a nice Swiss made Brown & Sharpe dial calipers.

My Gelin Abaci size 8 measures 0.710''.
That online conversion chart says it should be 0.716''.
6 mils off ain''t too bad.

I just measured Jose''s size 10.5 Boone titanium ring.
It is supposed to be 0.797'' and it was 0.792''.
Boone does very precise work.

I think I am going to order it to be just under size 8, or .708''.

Actually Bruce Boone says he can just make it to a number expressed in inches or mm; he doesn''t need a ''size''.
This bypasses the whole problem with the ring sizers being off.

I''d love it if you sellers would measure your sizers with calipers and report how accurate they are per the chart in this link.
9.gif

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had that problem before...only it was with the exact same sizer. I slipped it on, and a 4.5 fit nicely. Well, then my fiancee (then boyfriend) decided he was going to try a few wedding bands on just to see. I watched, and then I went back and tried on the sizer again just to make sure it would be comfortable and all, and well...apparently the b/f trying on rings thing made me a little jittery b/c it got stuck on my finger, which was pretty embarassing. It eventually slipped off again, and needless to say, I ended up with a 4.75 instead... just in case anything else gets me jittery.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think last night after trying on so many sizers my finger may have actually swollen a little from all the repetitve forcing on the tissue.

Anyway I decided to just order the new ring to match the 0.712" of my Gelin Abaci and ignore the sizers.

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny, did I miss a post for a final ring design selection? I remember that you posted several rings you were narrowing down at one point. Which one did you choose?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could tell ya but then I'd have to shoot you. (Classic line, stolen from Tom Cruise's Top Gun character.)

Totally Triple Tip Top Secret.

I'll post pics when I get it.

Brilliant_Rock
Haha - looking forward to the pics!
9.gif

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
I've gotten pretty good at guessing ring sized based on height and weight
1.gif
Some guys will say "I have no idea what she is", I'll ask them height and weight and I can usually guess +/- 1 ring size
9.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John Pollard (what a sweetie) just sent me some plastic sizers.
He was hoping one would fit and I could just send that in.

Here is what happened.
His size 8 sizer has an interior diameter of .716" just like it is supposed to.
It is.135" wide

But my Gelin Abaci model TR-005 platinum tension setting with rounded comfort fit is just .712" inside.
It is .183" wide at the most narrow part, 180 degrees away from the diamond.

Yet the smaller and wider platinum ring is much much easier to get on and off.

Go figure.

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
Well that was very nice of John :) Hey kenny are you an engineer? I don''t think you''d be able to feel a 5thou difference in diameter.

Maybe the two are not perfectly round (it would be nearly impossible if they were). So if one is 5thou bigger but varies say 7thou more then other then that could explain your feeling one is tighter then the other. It happens all the time with rolling rings, they''re very hard to measure because the "diameter" is not really round when measuring the overall diameter caused by the overlapping bands, and what''s worse is the size changes as it "rolls" ... really a pain in the butt :) The same can be said for many rings, most of them are not perfectly round maybe because of variations in polishing, and when they hammer the stamp in, etc. it will put very slight variations in there. You''d need a gauge with one with 2 of those feeler things (I forget what it''s called) to measure the diameter and spin it around to measure it properly to measure high/low diameter so you can see just how off-round it is and get an overall average.

Also your PT one is probably comfort fit or at least has a rounded taper edge on the inside, and most of the ring sizers I''ve seen are more "pipe cut" in profile so it would feel tighter just for that reason.

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think they are calibrated either. Hubby is a 10.5, 10.75, and an 11. GAH.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results