shape
carat
color
clarity

This zambian emerald......those in the know....talk to me about it.

floozybean

Rough_Rock
10.47ct, being sold as AAA++ fine quality. Zambian origin, no cert available (yet). $2340 per carat. Untreated (taking this to mean unoiled). 14.64 x 11.98 x 8.20 mm. From a dealer in India.

I'm specifically looking for a nice big cushion cut emerald for an anniversary cocktail ring. Not looking to spend six figures (or anywhere near) but want something NICE.

Any thoughts on this? I've seen about a hundred cushions so far and this one looks bright and clear. Not sure about the window and the depth, however.

link to google album and video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/JLRgSigF5wWuPBCi9

IMG_0775.jpg IMG_0775.jpg

Last edited:

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Firstly, respectfully, I don't believe that to be an emerald of any origin. Unfortunately, whatever it is is poorly cut to an extreme I don't often see. The cutting has no respect for shape, size, proportion, meet point, symmetry, or balance. If it's 10 carats, there's only 5 or 6 carats of useful stone after being re-cut properly

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Oh dear.

Two very important things first:
1. Do not waste your money on this stone.
2. If this is a bright and attractive stone in comparison to what you've already seen, everything you've seen so far is more or less rubbish.

As the others have pointed out, this emerald has a humongous window. It's basically all window, there's practically no light return. This is the reason it seems bright to you - because you see right through it. In fact the body tone seems to be distinctly on the darker side.

Take some time to look at some actually nice emeralds. We have an emerald thread here with nice examples you can browse. Learn about proper quality cut. Then go out there and find something actually nice for your healthy budget.

floozybean

Rough_Rock
Oh dear.

Two very important things first:
1. Do not waste your money on this stone.
2. If this is a bright and attractive stone in comparison to what you've already seen, everything you've seen so far is more or less rubbish.

As the others have pointed out, this emerald has a humongous window. It's basically all window, there's practically no light return. This is the reason it seems bright to you - because you see right through it. In fact the body tone seems to be distinctly on the darker side.

Take some time to look at some actually nice emeralds. We have an emerald thread here with nice examples you can browse. Learn about proper quality cut. Then go out there and find something actually nice for your healthy budget.

hahahah, thank you! there is a decent chance that most of what I've seen thus far has been rubbish - as my budget is not six figures and I want something big. I'm finding it so hard wrapping my head around the parameters and looking for a decent stone without being taken advantage of by a dealer trying to make a few bucks. Will continue to come here for honest, unbiased opinions. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

If anyone knows of any large (10ct-ish), quality, price-conscious cushions, please send them my way!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hahahah, thank you! there is a decent chance that most of what I've seen thus far has been rubbish - as my budget is not six figures and I want something big. I'm finding it so hard wrapping my head around the parameters and looking for a decent stone without being taken advantage of by a dealer trying to make a few bucks. Will continue to come here for honest, unbiased opinions. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

If anyone knows of any large (10ct-ish), quality, price-conscious cushions, please send them my way!

Good luck! I think it’s great that you’re reaching out to different sources. With risk comes reward!

Don’t be disheartened!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh lord please don't buy this! Huge window, not attractive at all. Please consider a lab gem if you want something large and budget conscious. Or get a smaller natural emerald that's pretty.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huge window!

I would also suggest getting a lab stone - try contacting Gary Braun at Finewater Gems.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results