Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

This was bound to happen with guys buying his gf a MMD.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes, he should. In fact, I think that it is probably something that should be discussed prior to the proposal, just to be sure that she is onboard with the idea.

Was he trying to pass it off as an earth mined diamond?
I want one of those non-earth mined diamonds ;-) :razz: :lol:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Man made diamonds are going to drastically decrease in price in the next few years with production of them ramping up anyway, so clearly he is an idiot who didn't do enough research to find out a) that they are substantially overpriced at the moment and not worth the cost and b) she clearly wanted a real diamond anyway.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Man made diamonds are going to drastically decrease in price in the next few years with production of them ramping up anyway, so clearly he is an idiot who didn't do enough research to find out a) that they are substantially overpriced at the moment and not worth the cost and b) she clearly wanted a real diamond anyway.
I am not opposed to the idea of mmd because I don't have endless money, but I 1000% agree with what Arkie says...they are drastically overpriced at this time. I won't look at them until the mmd are less than 25% of the cost of an equivalent natural diamond.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MMD are diamonds. They aren't simulants, they arent substitutes. I think it would be insane to call off an engagement because of this, and gives off crazy gold digger vibes IMO. I do think preferences should always be discussed, but I wouldn't call off an engagement over getting a round instead of a cushion, so I think this is equally as absurd.

Wewechew

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@telephone89 I think it depends where the break down in communication was. Did he just not ask her and assumed she wouldn’t mind? Ok. Had they had a conversation about what she wanted and she said she wanted an earth mined diamond, and he did this? That’s when I would be upset. Not enough to call off the wedding though.

Although an ex did do something similar to me (bought me exactly what I said I didn’t want), and it was indicative to a much larger problem.

dk168

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, although I happily mix real and made made diamonds and CS myself, I would expect to given a real diamond or CS as an engagement ring.

That's just my personal preference.

DK :))

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just had the funniest thought that may come true in the future:

One day we will read a thread like this where someone feels deceived for having their partner purchase an earth mined diamond.

People will say the same thing about communication between the two being a problem, but instead of conversation about MMD being less-than and/or deceiving, it’ll be about ethical consumption/or the same deceit or fraud.

I never thought I’d be feeling so upset about gasoline cars or being super uptight about composting and washing/sorting recycling, but here I am. I think I’d currently be a bit upset if my husband purchased a gasoline driven car for me, and a small % of society is starting to feel this way.

There are definitely some flaws to this logic as use of clean energy vs. gasoline is different from MMD vs. earth-mined since reuse-reduce-recycle of already mined diamonds is less ethical consumption than the labor/energy behind MMD... but still. One day!

Just had to share because thinking of the future bewilders me

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had he kept the lab report the engagement would still be on. :bigsmile: She may or may not know there are such a thing as a MMD till she read the report?.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Dancing Fire It is possible to get away with fraud...

The way lab goods meet expectations makes them iredeemable to me. This is case in point.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had he kept the lab report the engagement would still be on. :bigsmile: She may or may not know there are such a thing as a MMD till she read the report?.
Yeah, maybe. But lying (even if it's lying by omission, which is still making efforts to deceive) would never be ok. Whether she found out now, or later. And marrying someone you cannot trust is a quick route to divorce and not something I would wish on anyone.

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'd probably be more impressed that my husband found a lovely MMD for me rather than buying something from a random B&M shop, so ...

I guess I also feel that it's an over-reation because the proposal ring is an actual authentic diamond. My husband has never presented the diamond jewelry he's bought for me as "here's your e-ring/pendant/earrings with diamonds that were sourced from the depths of the earth", so it would strike me as bizarre as having to announce a diamond's lab origins as well.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why wouldn't he keep the lab report?!! Resale value, lol.:P2 Actually, it is the resale value that makes me unsure of MMD, and realistically, it might not be well established in my lifetime. Might take a few decades, who knows. But I'm also a geology geek and prefer earth mined AND vintage only, so I'll never know I guess.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

JEWELRY BLOG

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.