shape
carat
color
clarity

This is what a TIC vs More fire looks like

jpgas

Rough_Rock
Last week I got advice on two diamonds. One was a H&A with a steep crown (35.4/40.7) for more fire. I then also learned that 34.5/40.8 is arguably a perfect combo so I decided to get one with those proportions to compare the two.

The TIC 34.5/40.8 is definitely a well balanced combo that has enough fire and brilliance. I can understand why is a recommended combo. The balance of brilliance and fire looks nice. But it also doesn’t have the most brilliance or most fire. The fire is a bit muted by the extra brilliance.

The other 35.4/40.7 might not be a perfect combo but it still works. It does look a little darker with less brilliance but I think that makes the colors stand out more. It has more fire than it has less brilliance. They both look arguably the same under sunlight, but the 35.4/40.7 definitely has a bit more fire

I just wanted to make this post and share my unexperienced opinion to help any guys like me that are diamond shopping and new to this and wanted a visual of a TIC vs more fire. But I think most diamonds with ideal proportions will look gorgeous and have enough fire and brilliance.

But for the experts in here which do you like more and can you tell which is the TIC and the more fire diamond?

jpgas

Rough_Rock
I know nothing about diamonds but my eyes chose stone on the left.

No worries I’m no expert either. But I thought this could help people visualize the difference. The right has the proportions that are considered a perfect balance of fire (color) and brilliance (white/bright light). The left has a steeper crown angle that helps give more fire. So that’s why you see more color on the left while the right looks a bit brighter

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great comparison, thanks for sharing!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
When comparing them in 200 different lighting conditions you will find over all the difference isn't large.
Also 34.5/40.8 when combined with many different minor facets and table% works well and is a useful reference its not the best at any one thing, it is very well balanced with many combinations of table% and minors.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello, jpgas!
Saw your post about these diamonds in Reddit.

Here's the link that you provided in one of your replies:

I replied to your Reddit thread:
"In the first video of these extra videos, the left one looks a bit hazy/cloudy - what are the proportions and are these earth grown (does the left one have moderate to heavy clouds, graining, and/or fluorescence) or human grown (is the left one CVD method)?"

Now seeing your post here, that answers the questions of being human grown diamonds and the proportions of the "fiery" option.
Do you know if these are CVD or HPHT, and do you know if there are 360 videos of each so that the finer details of cut precision can be assessed?

jpgas

Rough_Rock
Hello, jpgas!
Saw your post about these diamonds in Reddit.

Here's the link that you provided in one of your replies:

I replied to your Reddit thread:
"In the first video of these extra videos, the left one looks a bit hazy/cloudy - what are the proportions and are these earth grown (does the left one have moderate to heavy clouds, graining, and/or fluorescence) or human grown (is the left one CVD method)?"

Now seeing your post here, that answers the questions of being human grown diamonds and the proportions of the "fiery" option.
Do you know if these are CVD or HPHT, and do you know if there are 360 videos of each so that the finer details of cut precision can be assessed?

It’s a lab diamond. Here is a link to the TIC which should be the left in these clips, it should have all the info you need. But it does look a bit hazy. I just thought that was extra brilliance that made it look more white or silver. The right is the 35.4/40.7 you helped me with last week.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
It’s a lab diamond. Here is a link to the TIC which should be the left in these clips, it should have all the info you need. But it does look a bit hazy. I just thought that was extra brilliance that made it look more white or silver. The right is the 35.4/40.7 you helped me with last week.

Do you have grading report numbers, by chance?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
IMO the stark difference seen here has more to do with differences in the quality of the grown material than differences in cut. I have compared well cut rounds ranging from 33/40.8 to 35.8/40.7 and the differences are much more nuanced. It’s similar to going from 34.5/40.6 to 34.5/41 on Cutwise’s Pa variation for Ca34.5 https://cutwise.com/~-bOV

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the report number for the 35.4/40.7 diamond?

jpgas

Rough_Rock
IMO the stark difference seen here has more to do with differences in the quality of the grown material than differences in cut. I have compared well cut rounds ranging from 33/40.8 to 35.8/40.7 and the differences are much more nuanced. It’s similar to going from 34.5/40.6 to 34.5/41 on Cutwise’s Pa variation for Ca34.5 https://
IMO the stark difference seen here has more to do with differences in the quality of the grown material than differences in cut. I have compared well cut rounds ranging from 33/40.8 to 35.8/40.7 and the differences are much more nuanced. It’s similar to going from 34.5/40.6 to 34.5/41 on Cutwise’s Pa variation for Ca34.5 https://cutwise.com/~-bOV

.com/~-bOV

Thanks for that link. I can’t tell the difference with the pavilions so the difference I’m seeing with my two stones must be the material. Now I’m a little bummed I didn’t get to see a 34.5/40.8 in its full potential.

Last edited:

jpgas

Rough_Rock
What is the report number for the 35.4/40.7 diamond?

Here is a link to the report

And a link to see the 360 video

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Last week I got advice on two diamonds. One was a H&A with a steep crown (35.4/40.7) for more fire. I then also learned that 34.5/40.8 is arguably a perfect combo so I decided to get one with those proportions to compare the two.

The TIC 34.5/40.8 is definitely a well balanced combo that has enough fire and brilliance. I can understand why is a recommended combo. The balance of brilliance and fire looks nice. But it also doesn’t have the most brilliance or most fire. The fire is a bit muted by the extra brilliance.

The other 35.4/40.7 might not be a perfect combo but it still works. It does look a little darker with less brilliance but I think that makes the colors stand out more. It has more fire than it has less brilliance. They both look arguably the same under sunlight, but the 35.4/40.7 definitely has a bit more fire

I just wanted to make this post and share my unexperienced opinion to help any guys like me that are diamond shopping and new to this and wanted a visual of a TIC vs more fire. But I think most diamonds with ideal proportions will look gorgeous and have enough fire and brilliance.

But for the experts in here which do you like more and can you tell which is the TIC and the more fire diamond?

I think TIC is on the left.

jpgas

Rough_Rock
I think TIC is on the left.

Sorry it’s on the right, the more sorry is on the left. But according to the experts here the material for the TIC looks hazy/cloudy. So it’s not really a fair matchup

jpgas

Rough_Rock
Do you have grading report numbers, by chance?

Just out of curiosity what do you think of this diamond? Seeing more fire got my thinking how much more I can get. I do have some minor issues with the other diamonds and since I can return them I was wondering if this could be any better. And I know the differences are very subtle

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Just out of curiosity what do you think of this diamond? Seeing more fire got my thinking how much more I can get. I do have some minor issues with the other diamonds and since I can return them I was wondering if this could be any better. And I know the differences are very subtle

The proportions and angles can work, but I'm seeing some uneven in the pavilion facets and a bit of CVD graining.

2af81d76-e106-416a-87d9-ccb2c5451141.jpg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
jpgas check your Reddit chats. :)

jpgas

Rough_Rock
jpgas check your Reddit chats. :)

Thanks, I'm still looking for 1.83ct. I think the one I have now might be just fine. But I do have one more possible contender if you don't mind checking it out, I sent the link to your reddit, thanks

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are easier links to the videos.

The proportions and angles can work, but I'm seeing some uneven in the pavilion facets and a bit of CVD graining.

I agree, I'm not a fan of this one compared to the two in the OP.

jpgas

Rough_Rock
Here are easier links to the videos.

I agree, I'm not a fan of this one compared to the two in the OP.
Thanks, that's good to know. Because the more I look at these two diamonds under different and equal lighting, the less I can tell a difference now. My videos definitely made one look more fiery than the other. But in real life they are both basically the same. Now I'm starting to appreciate the TIC for its little bit extra brilliance and light return. And the top looks a bit bigger giving it more surface for more light play. Now I can't really decide which one to keep :confused:

jpgas

Rough_Rock

Do you think the TIC still looks a bit hazy? I will say I was touching it with some greasy fingers. I have a video of the TIC closer to when I first got it

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Give both a good clean with some dish detergent. It’s hard to tell what you are comparing if they are not clean.

Here’s one you can consider if you want to try a 34.5/40.6

Great find!
If it's still available, then much better price at Brilliance and there's a 20% off code right now:

jpgas

Rough_Rock
Great find!
If it's still available, then much better price at Brilliance and there's a 20% off code right now:

How much difference would a 34.5/40.6 be to a 34.5/40.8?

I know shallower pavilions like a 40.6 pair with a steeper crown, but will it be more fiery or are 34.5/40.6 and 34.5/40.8 very similar. Because I did find a H&A 34.5/40.6 and was considering it

jpgas

Rough_Rock
Give both a good clean with some dish detergent. It’s hard to tell what you are comparing if they are not clean.

Here’s one you can consider if you want to try a 34.5/40.6
Thanks, I did clean them and look a lot better. They both are very fiery but with a subtle difference. But now it's hard to pick which one I like more.

I know shallower pavilions like a 40.6 pair with a steeper crown, but will it be more fiery or are 34.5/40.6 and 34.5/40.8 very similar. Because I did find a H&A 34.5/40.6 and was considering it

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If reasonably tight and similar precision levels then subtle, a little more contrast up close but by 16 inches nada much.
In other words real world on the hand not much that most people will ever notice.

jpgas

Rough_Rock
If reasonably tight and similar precision levels then subtle, a little more contrast up close but by 16 inches nada much.
In other words real world on the hand not much that most people will ever notice.

Thanks. I’m tempted to get a 34.5/40.6 but I think I’m thinking way too into this if the differences are subtle. I mean if the difference between a 34.5/40.8 and a 35.4/40.7 to me are very subtle up close and no real difference from afar then I’m sure a 34.5/40.6 will be even less different to an untrained eye like me or my girlfriend

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results