carat
color
clarity

Thinness of shank - What would you do?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi PSers,

So I don't jack RaiKai's thread, I will ask separately.

How worried should I be about the thinness of the bottom of the shank of my e-ring? If I don't do anything crazy, like work out in it, and lift heavy things, it should be ok, right? It's platinum. The plain band next to it is 2mm. Attached to it is my OEC. The setting is an older one, from OWD. Can it just break and I will look down at my hand one day and see the whole ring missing?

_4897_0.jpg

Gypsy, I should have asked you yesterday. But I've been in denial about this, and just hope, "eh, it'll be ok..." xxxxxxxx fingers.

I think I will settle on a more permanent setting in 1-2 years. It just needs to last that long, maybe until next August.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi LLJSMOM ,
My engagement ring looked a lot like yours a few years ago, except that mine was 14K gold. My jeweller said I should get it fixed, but I said I'd wait till it broke! I like to live dangerously. :angel:
Anyway, it lasted another 7-10 years like that and never broke. I finally had it redone for our 40th anniversary! Since yours is platinum, you're probably OK for quite a while, as long as you're careful.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I have no business replying in here because as you know, I am trying to figure out what to do myself!

I am careful with my rings but you sound like you may be even more careful than me, which is a good thing! I have read that the thin shank can break, yes, but there is also a concern with how it is "supporting" the rest of the ring and the stresses can loosen prongs etc. I do not know if that is really that likely though, especially if you are keeping an eye on it! If I was planning on resetting in a year or so like you are, I might just keep wearing it and just make sure to eyeball it up regularly.

In my case the original place has (reluctantly, it would seem) offered to build up the shank with platinum, using a laser welder, and I am trying to decide whether to take them up on that or not. Quotes from places to completely reshank have ranged from $600-900 CDN in platinum (half that in 18kt but I like platinum for many reasons), and the two places I went to in person did recommend a reshank over building up. Even $600 is a lot to swallow right now but at same time I wonder if I might end up there anyway.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My engagement ring looks like it's that thin at the bottom too but it's the same thickness deep as it is wide so it feels pretty secure and sturdy - how deep is the shank on yours at that point? I'd be worried if it was paper thin or obviously deformed and misshapen. You could have a jeweller look at it under a microscope or loupe to be sure there aren't any obvious hairline cracks if you're really worried? I've always figured that mines lasted for ~100 years without issues so it should last as long as I have it since I don't wear it to do heavy or strenuous things that might stress it otherwise.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second checking your ring regularly for hairline cracks etc. DH's platinum wedding ring broke into halves. You should be ok but you never know!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sapphire ring (platinum) was thinned out at the underside. The jeweller said it should be ok but it did not feel eyeclean and mindclean to me. The jeweller corrected it in a later stage but I don't know what technique they were using. They somehow have build up the shank with platinum. I lost the 'tete de chien' stamp, but the shank can last a 100 years again. The jeweller did it for free (probably because I psid a high amount for the ring). I wanted to be stress-free about this ring.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you get it reshanked at a good bench it will give you peace of mind. That said, I think you are probably fine for the time being. Just chech it when you clean it.

BigSteve

Rough_Rock
Trade
If this were gold I would suggest getting it reshanked. But platinum is a much more durable metal, it tends to move rather than break, up to a point.

Depending on how hard you are on rings it shouldn't break in your lifetime. But really look at it from time to time. If you see a new "bend" in the shank you should get it fixed. I've seen rings with thinner shanks than this that are more than a hundred years old and still being worn daily.

That said, when you do decide to get it repaired, select a jeweler that works with a laser. When it comes to platinum I am a huge fan of laser welding rather than soldering. Especially with a reshank.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results