shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking of switching settings after only 6 months ... UGH!

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
Re: Thinking of switching settings after only 6 months ... U

SO - I took a ride out to Joe Escobar - which was wonderful! - and they have a very inexpensive white gold 4 prong "presentation" setting (usually for guys who propose but want to let their fiancee come back to pick a setting) that suits my purposes perfectly. It was only $350 with no setting fee, and the $350 can be put toward another permanent setting within 90 days. Since they carry Vatche, this was a perfect compromise for me.

24 hours later, and my diamond is now a solitaire! Knowing myself, it's too soon to say anything definitive - but so far anyway, I am surprising myself and loving the solitaire! I never was interested in one before, but there's something so chic and classic about the look, and I love how it emphasizes the stone with the added height off the finger and the skinny shank. I don't know if I think the diamond looks any bigger, per se, but it definitely pops more and shows off the center stone a lot more. Maybe it's in my head, but I also feel like the open setting increases sparkle as well.

This is not to take anything away from my other setting, which I still absolutely love. And I get slightly nauseous when I think about it sitting sad and lonely in my safe with no center stone! But (for the moment, anyway) this simpler setting does feel more ... fitting for an engagement ring, to me. I kind of feel newly engaged! :love:

So, so far so good, although who knows where I'll end up. If I decide to keep the current stone in a solitaire, the 5-stone is definitely begging for a colored stone in the center ... any suggestions? :naughty:

Here are some comparison photos for those who might be having the same side stones versus solitaire struggle I did .... My finger is a 4.25, for reference.

fullsizerender-1_1.jpg img_9033.png
img_2072_0.png

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock

I think the stone really does POP more with a thin shank! It provides a distinct visual difference.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Veltiesmom|1479594653|4100642 said:
SO - I took a ride out to Joe Escobar - which was wonderful! - and they have a very inexpensive white gold 4 prong "presentation" setting (usually for guys who propose but want to let their fiancee come back to pick a setting) that suits my purposes perfectly. It was only $350 with no setting fee, and the $350 can be put toward another permanent setting within 90 days. Since they carry Vatche, this was a perfect compromise for me.

24 hours later, and my diamond is now a solitaire! Knowing myself, it's too soon to say anything definitive - but so far anyway, I am surprising myself and loving the solitaire! I never was interested in one before, but there's something so chic and classic about the look, and I love how it emphasizes the stone with the added height off the finger and the skinny shank. I don't know if I think the diamond looks any bigger, per se, but it definitely pops more and shows off the center stone a lot more. Maybe it's in my head, but I also feel like the open setting increases sparkle as well.

This is not to take anything away from my other setting, which I still absolutely love. And I get slightly nauseous when I think about it sitting sad and lonely in my safe with no center stone! But (for the moment, anyway) this simpler setting does feel more ... fitting for an engagement ring, to me. I kind of feel newly engaged! :love:

So, so far so good, although who knows where I'll end up. If I decide to keep the current stone in a solitaire, the 5-stone is definitely begging for a colored stone in the center ... any suggestions? :naughty:

Here are some comparison photos for those who might be having the same side stones versus solitaire struggle I did .... My finger is a 4.25, for reference.

fullsizerender-1_1.jpg img_9033.png
img_2072_0.png

Wow- What a difference Your diamond looks HUGE! I did the same thing, and I'm SO glad I did....

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The diamond looks gorgeous as a solitaire! I guess the edges of the stone don't get blurred in with the side stones. Glad you are loving it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, y'all are just saving me lots of money since I was kinda bored with a plain solitaire! :lol:

I am so glad you decided to try it in a cheap solitaire before doing anything big and permanent! I like it in a solitaire as well as the 5 stone. The diamond is the star in a solitaire and the setting is just the stone holder rather than the setting being part of an overall design. I don't think one idea is better than the other, but you could end up with two rings if you had a colored stone set in the 5 stone. I'd suggest spinel as it is one of the hardest gemstones but much less costly than a sapphire that size. Of course there are plenty of inexpensive gemstones you could have cut, but for a setting that nice, I'd personally look at spinel first. Blue zircon is beautiful but won't have the durability that spinel has.

As far as this stone versus a 4 ct, I would assume you'd be going down in color, so this stone may have just as much visual impact as a low color slightly larger stone. BUT, if you have decided you want an OEC over a MRB, then that's a different story. What you have looks HUGE on your tiny finger, and the MRB is always classic in a plain solitaire. Bottom line is that I agree with Missy...get whatever it is that you decide you really want. It was wise to try this temp setting as a first step!

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock

I LOVE the solitaire!!! I think the stone just pops and looks huge! I agree with MissGotRocks that the edges seem crisper in a solitaire. It will be interesting to see what you think in a few weeks!!!!

As far as your old setting, I will warn you that I also went down the road of looking at colored stones for my SK 3 stone ring. It was harder than I thought because well cut colored stones tend to be cut much deeper than diamonds. And since my SK ring was such low set, I don't have a lot of depth to work with. While it certainly is possible, I can't just pick any 3 ct colored stone. I am not sure if you will have that issue too but I know you said your ring was really low set. If you do decide to go down the colored stone route with your CVB setting, I would recommend contacting Caysie and talking to her about options or depth limitations. Steven told me I could go with a smaller diameter stone to allow for the deeper cut stone. Just thought I would pass that on!!! Hopefully you won't have the same issue!

Keep us posted on your progress!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tweeter8177|1479698434|4100947 said:
I LOVE the solitaire!!! I think the stone just pops and looks huge! I agree with MissGotRocks that the edges seem crisper in a solitaire. It will be interesting to see what you think in a few weeks!!!!

As far as your old setting, I will warn you that I also went down the road of looking at colored stones for my SK 3 stone ring. It was harder than I thought because well cut colored stones tend to be cut much deeper than diamonds. And since my SK ring was such low set, I don't have a lot of depth to work with. While it certainly is possible, I can't just pick any 3 ct colored stone. I am not sure if you will have that issue too but I know you said your ring was really low set. If you do decide to go down the colored stone route with your CVB setting, I would recommend contacting Caysie and talking to her about options or depth limitations. Steven told me I could go with a smaller diameter stone to allow for the deeper cut stone. Just thought I would pass that on!!! Hopefully you won't have the same issue!

Keep us posted on your progress!!!!

It's best to have a stone custom cut to the dimensions of the diamond that was in the setting.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your stone looks ginormous in a plain setting. It really is the star. I can see why you would like the plain setting more. FWIW, I love your five stone. It is so perfectly proportioned. It's completely stunning. In the meantime, your solitaire is fabulous, a great temporary setting.

Skhii

Shiny_Rock

Veltiesmom|1479594653|4100642 said:

I really like how the solitaire looks on your hand. Any chance of some macro shots of the side and gallery? Is the band able to sit flush with it? Also do you know the pointer size and total carat weight of your eternity? It's beautiful and goes well with your new ring.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

YES! This is what I LOVE about solitaires and gorgeous diamonds. They just go together so well. :love: :love: :love:
I love your reset and I love how it allows the diamond to be the center of attention because your stone deserves that attention.

What a perfect solution without breaking the bank. Now you can wear it and enjoy it and see how you feel.
Gorgeous. Sophisticated. Elegant. :love:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I LOVE both, but FWIW to my eye the solitaire looks bigger.

aac2013

Shiny_Rock

Oh, I so loved your 5 stone ring. It was one of my very favorite rings posted in 2016! However, I do admit the solitaire makes the stone look larger and it sure does pop as a solitaire. Both styles look lovely on your hand.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow!!! I loved your old setting but I must agree that a solitaire looks fabulous on you. The beautiful diamond looks even bigger now and is a true attention grabber. I like!!! :love: :love: :love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with many of the other posters when I say that I LOVED your old setting, but now that I see the solitaire on you I can 100% understand why you might prefer it. The diamond really gets a chance to shine and be the "star" of the show, and it's such a classic look. I wonder if you could put a colored stone in your 5-stone setting and wear it as a right hand ring? That way it won't have to sit in the safe lonely ;-)

I am usually not a huge fan of solitaires, but this just looks lovely on you, and the size is amazing on your finger! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results