shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking of buying this diamond, opinions, please!!!!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue Nile has the OP’s diamond listed as Ideal cut. Is this not true? I’m curious....did anyone run it through the HCA?
@lovedogs @sledge

HCA = 2.8, and blue nile's listings of cut is pretty worthless. JA has the same thing, and it largely doesn't tell you much about how the stone will actually perform.

Like @lovedogs I put ZERO confidence in what BN, JA, etc define as an "ideal" cut. I actually get annoyed by it as it gives a potential customer false hope.

Proportions may not tell us the whole story but mathematically you have to be within a certain range to make it work. As I noted above in more detail, it's my opinion the original BN stone falls short of those mathematical/geometrical bounds. So the first stone would be a hard pass for me.

The 2.8 HCA confirms my thoughts.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the stones @lovedogs posted, please note the D has a medium blue fluor (MBF). While the chances are slim, you'd want to make sure the MBF doesn't cause any milky/hazy issues just to cover your tail. My wife's H VS2 has MBF so I am not against it but in a higher color it is less desirable. These can be good bargains as medium+ fluor stones trade for less $.

Also, while I do like the proportions of bother the D and I stones, I must caution with the 35/40.8 combo. It falls in acceptable ideal parameters but depending on actual values (not rounded and reported values) you could have some problem areas as I've seen quite a few 35/40.8 combos with leaky ASET's. It doesn't mean this one is bad but it would be nice if you could get an ASET prior to buying or ship loose and buy your own ASET scope to confirm before setting so you can return and get a refund if necessary.

This leaves me kind of partial to the F stone with 35.5/40.6 combo. Again I'd like to see an ASET to confirm no problems. However, this stone has strong blue fluor (SBF). Again, due diligence is required to ensure the SBF is not causing issues. While odds are slim, its more probably in strong and very strong levels. Also, are you okay with strong on an F stone?

P

PalmSpringsPJ

Here are some choices that fall into (or close to) the specs above and score under 2 on the HCA.

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...NDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&catalogView=true

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...NDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&catalogView=true

This is my least favorite because of the 41 pavilion. I'd check to see if BN has ASET/IS images for it, because it might be good, but it might be less good.

Hello again, lovedogs!!!

So we purchased the first diamond in your list!!! We are having it set into a simple platinum setting, to (hopefully) go with my existing platinum wedding and anniversary rings. I will keep you posted. If we decide it's a winner, I'll post photos!! Thank you again, so much. We really learned alot here, and you all saved us from purchasing the poor quality diamond we thought we wanted. :geek2::mrgreen2::D:kiss2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello again, lovedogs!!!

So we purchased the first diamond in your list!!! We are having it set into a simple platinum setting, to (hopefully) go with my existing platinum wedding and anniversary rings. I will keep you posted. If we decide it's a winner, I'll post photos!! Thank you again, so much. We really learned alot here, and you all saved us from purchasing the poor quality diamond we thought we wanted. :geek2::mrgreen2::D:kiss2:
Yayyyyy! So happy to hear it. Excited to see pics!

P

PalmSpringsPJ

Hi Lovedogs!!!

I just wanted to follow-up to say thank you so much again for your help!!! We got the diamond upgrade ring a few hours ago, and we really love it!!! I am not a professional jewelry photographer, obviously, lol, but hopefully you can see a bit of just how sparkly and pretty it is!!!! I will send it back to Blue Nile eventually to have them straighten the crooked prongs, and maybe have them thinned out, but the diamond itself we are really pleased with. (The second pic is of my Best Pal T-Bone.) Thanks again!!!

20190927_170855.jpg 20190927_172358.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yayyyyy I love when ppl come back with updates. It's gorgeous, and your best pal is adorable.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hand shots, please!!!
The pup is adorable, but we need to see the rings together on the finger!

P

PalmSpringsPJ

OTE="headlight, post: 4617948, member: 6329"]Hand shots, please!!!
The pup is adorable, but we need to see the rings together on the finger![/QUOTE]

OK, I hate to show my old and ugly hands, but here's a pic!!!
20190928_215238.jpg

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Omg... it’s absolutely gorgeous and the perfect set! Hand looks fine, not old nor ugly!
Thanks for posting it!

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Your rings look great together and on your hand.

P

PalmSpringsPJ

yayyyyy I love when ppl come back with updates. It's gorgeous, and your best pal is adorable.

@lovedogs

Lovedogs, I just wanted to follow-up once again and thank you so much for helping me and my husband select our diamond upgrade. We love it! And it honestly looks just beautiful to us in any light! Everytime I look down at my hand I think "WOWEE!!", lol. We could never have done this without your help. THANK YOU!!!!! (Sorry if the photos are huge.)

20191001_143528.jpg 20191001_143514.jpg

Attachments

• 20191001_143737.jpg
    20191001_143737.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 17
P

PalmSpringsPJ

@lovedogs

Lovedogs, I just wanted to follow-up once again and thank you so much for helping me and my husband select our diamond upgrade. We love it! And it honestly looks just beautiful to us in any light! Everytime I look down at my hand I think "WOWEE!!", lol. We could never have done this without your help. THANK YOU!!!!! (Sorry if the photos are huge.)

Here, I think this photo is less huge!!
20191001_150155.jpg

Attachments

• 20191001_145831.jpg
    20191001_145831.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 19
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results