shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking of buying this diamond, opinions, please!!!!

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by PalmSpringsPJ, Sep 9, 2019 at 8:20 PM.

1. sledge
    Ideal_Rock

by sledge » Sep 11, 2019 at 1:50 AM
    Like @lovedogs I put ZERO confidence in what BN, JA, etc define as an "ideal" cut. I actually get annoyed by it as it gives a potential customer false hope.

Proportions may not tell us the whole story but mathematically you have to be within a certain range to make it work. As I noted above in more detail, it's my opinion the original BN stone falls short of those mathematical/geometrical bounds. So the first stone would be a hard pass for me.

The 2.8 HCA confirms my thoughts.

lovedogs likes this.
  2. sledge
    Ideal_Rock

by sledge » Sep 11, 2019 at 2:10 AM
    In the stones @lovedogs posted, please note the D has a medium blue fluor (MBF). While the chances are slim, you'd want to make sure the MBF doesn't cause any milky/hazy issues just to cover your tail. My wife's H VS2 has MBF so I am not against it but in a higher color it is less desirable. These can be good bargains as medium+ fluor stones trade for less $.

Also, while I do like the proportions of bother the D and I stones, I must caution with the 35/40.8 combo. It falls in acceptable ideal parameters but depending on actual values (not rounded and reported values) you could have some problem areas as I've seen quite a few 35/40.8 combos with leaky ASET's. It doesn't mean this one is bad but it would be nice if you could get an ASET prior to buying or ship loose and buy your own ASET scope to confirm before setting so you can return and get a refund if necessary.

This leaves me kind of partial to the F stone with 35.5/40.6 combo. Again I'd like to see an ASET to confirm no problems. However, this stone has strong blue fluor (SBF). Again, due diligence is required to ensure the SBF is not causing issues. While odds are slim, its more probably in strong and very strong levels. Also, are you okay with strong on an F stone?

3. PalmSpringsPJ
    Rough_Rock

by PalmSpringsPJ » Sep 12, 2019 at 4:21 PM
    Hello again, lovedogs!!!

So we purchased the first diamond in your list!!! We are having it set into a simple platinum setting, to (hopefully) go with my existing platinum wedding and anniversary rings. I will keep you posted. If we decide it's a winner, I'll post photos!! Thank you again, so much. We really learned alot here, and you all saved us from purchasing the poor quality diamond we thought we wanted. :geek2::mrgreen2::D:kiss2:

mwilliamanderson likes this.
  4. lovedogs
    Ideal_Rock

by lovedogs » Sep 12, 2019 at 4:32 PM
    Yayyyyy! So happy to hear it. Excited to see pics!